New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

Heh. Lu really isn't good at this.

And of course they're hitting Agatha.
    It's the best way to get the hag possessing her to back up.
    If only so Agatha has to deal with this headache instead.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Probably shouldn't be hitting her in the head though.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, at least Lucrezia has been subdued for now. I can't wait for her to be gone, but Thrope's comment at the end about taking time makes me nervous that those soldiers (or something else) is going to cause yet another long delay.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucrezia solved.

I imagine that 90% of what Lucrezia was doing was "now, violently whack the nail into place with a low-output pistol, and then take a screwdriver and screw all of these little bits that I definitely put in for a good reason and not to mess with the machine until they start to strip..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    The people breaking in might steal Lu's downloaded brain or stick her in someone else, but the maternal possession thing should be resolved (although Lucrezia might try to get back inside, but that's a different problem).
    Agatha can probably recognize beacon tech by now, and may well be able to smash it more efficiently. Besides, having Lucrezia go back into her head is probably a waste of time from a plot point perspective, mostly because this is like the fourth instance of Lucrezia taking over and wrecking things?

Side note: is it me, or is the text slightly...off? Like I'm seeing a couple minor artifacts (as if the text was stretched briefly) on the speech bubbles.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-16 at 08:50 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #245

It looks like an effect was added to Lu's speech bubbles, probably to make it more clear that this isn't Agatha speaking.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It looks like an effect was added to Lu's speech bubbles, probably to make it more clear that this isn't Agatha speaking.
    That's the normal "Spark Mode" speech bubbles, though it's been used for Lucrezia and BiG.

The text itself is a bit odd; look at Zeetha's text in the last panel.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    That's the normal "Spark Mode" speech bubbles, though it's been used for Lucrezia and BiG.

The text itself is a bit odd; look at Zeetha's text in the last panel.
    Yeah, I think the Foglios or someone changed the text and screwed up the look.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

One good thing here - from a story point of view, having Lu able to take over Agatha at any time is a non-starter. We'd never know if it was Agatha or Lucrezia. So either they find a better way to suppress her (which makes this entire mini-arc pointless), or they actually DO remove her now. I'm betting on the latter. This is just a last hurrah for Headcrezia.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

It is interesting to compare this with the previous big Lucrezia fight.

Before, most of the team were new together - Tarvek had known Agatha for less than a day elapsed, Violetta less than that, and Gil and Wooster were a few days to a couple of weeks at best. The only members of Team Agatha who had time to gel with her were Zeetha and the Jagers, due to the long amount of time in the circus. In addition to that, Agatha/Lucrezia was riding a post-revivification* rush - which Zeetha on her own was easily equal to.

This time the core of Team Agatha know each other over months of co-operation (two years for those who weren't in the time-skips), so less chance for Lucrezia to fool them. Additionally there's no combat bonuses for Lucrezia, and Agatha has been growing stronger as well. Last time Agatha who overcame Lucrezia with the strength of desperation when she heard that Gil was dying. This time, Agatha is stronger.

Lucrezia is already finding that Agatha's friends aren't the easy ride she expects. If the locket comes off she may find that Agatha isn't either.

* - Should I be worried that "post-revivification" appears in my on-line spelling dictionary?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    It is interesting to compare this with the previous big Lucrezia fight.

Before, most of the team were new together - Tarvek had known Agatha for less than a day elapsed, Violetta less than that, and Gil and Wooster were a few days to a couple of weeks at best. The only members of Team Agatha who had time to gel with her were Zeetha and the Jagers, due to the long amount of time in the circus. In addition to that, Agatha/Lucrezia was riding a post-revivification* rush - which Zeetha on her own was easily equal to.

This time the core of Team Agatha know each other over months of co-operation (two years for those who weren't in the time-skips), so less chance for Lucrezia to fool them. Additionally there's no combat bonuses for Lucrezia, and Agatha has been growing stronger as well. Last time Agatha who overcame Lucrezia with the strength of desperation when she heard that Gil was dying. This time, Agatha is stronger.

Lucrezia is already finding that Agatha's friends aren't the easy ride she expects. If the locket comes off she may find that Agatha isn't either.
    I'm pretty sure that Lucrezia is barely in control of Agatha, with the locket being the reason why. Without the locket on, Lucrezia will be mostly in control (Agatha is strong).

That said, there is something to be said for planning. With Zeetha and Violetta ready to stop her if she does anything, Lucrezia is outdone here. She can't actually do anything unless there's a major diversion (like a fleet of laser gun armed troops), and for the most part will be trapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    * - Should I be worried that "post-revivification" appears in my on-line spelling dictionary?
    Well, yes, but actually no.

-Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

At this point, with Gil just freed from the influence of his father, it's hard to expect anything other than the same happening to Agatha.

I would expect Lucrezia to be induced into activating the machinery that erases her herself, based on the story the Baron told many years ago.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    At this point, with Gil just freed from the influence of his father, it's hard to expect anything other than the same happening to Agatha.

I would expect Lucrezia to be induced into activating the machinery that erases her herself, based on the story the Baron told many years ago.
    The one he told in the hospital right? It is a metaphor for the Baron's situation what with being wasped, so it would be fitting if it ended up having the only bit that hadn't happened yet come true. Though it wouldn't necessarily free the Baron, it would be appropriate.

I noticed that based on what Mr. Boring said about the story of how Andronicus became Storm King, it seems it is about the Lantern. "lamp that summoned the night" and all. I think it was mentioned in more detail, but I don't recall where.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-17 at 09:47 PM.

-Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #253

Well, that's not good. Pretty sure her brain won't withstand that kind of strain for long.

14. - Top - End - #254

Guys, stop hitting her on the head, and tie her up and gag her.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Well, if Albia is lending a hand I think Lucrezia is pretty much stuffed. However, given Albia's earlier comments, Agatha may not be far behind in the taxidermy stakes, if only by accident.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, that's not good. Pretty sure her brain won't withstand that kind of strain for long.
    I get the impression she has done this before.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #257

Yes, but for how long at a time? Dealing with de-Lucrezia-ing Agatha is probably gonna push her well past the redline.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Halfling in the Playground

This one by Albia looks like a very welcome "Deus ex machina"!
    Miss Thorpe seems quite at ease with this kind of "help".
    Last edited by sherlock; 2019-08-19 at 03:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    This one by Albia looks like a very welcome "Deus ex machina"!
    Miss Thorpe seems quite at ease with this king of "help".
    Seems like more of a "Regina Ex Machina" if you ask me.

20. - Top - End - #260

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Seems like more of a "Regina Ex Machina" if you ask me.
    She's an almost literal demigod queen, so how about Deus Regina Ex Machina for completeness?

21. - Top - End - #261

RedWizardGuy

So did Lucrezia manage to send out a message earlier while we weren't looking? The Queen of Dawn should want her dead, so I'm kind of wondering where these guys came from.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    She's an almost literal demigod queen, so how about Deus Regina Ex Machina for completeness?
    Let's call it a flat Demi Deus Ex Regina.

Albia appears to be unstable and mildly insane, probably not too much more dangerous to be around than a crazy spark if not for her sheer power. She's probably a better alternative than some of the Europa micro-state's rulers though, because they appear to be completely [very long list of expletives go here]ing mad.

I'd guess that Lucrezia's troops can easily raid the average armory, and so are disguised as brits to go in and raid the underground bunker and rescue Lucrezia.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-19 at 03:58 PM.

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

A good question is are the invaders trying to save Lu or kill her (and Agatha)? I seem to remember Clank Lu does not like the version in Agatha's head because she was able to pick up some info. And Zola REALLY wants Agatha dead.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

24. - Top - End - #264

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    So did Lucrezia manage to send out a message earlier while we weren't looking? The Queen of Dawn should want her dead, so I'm kind of wondering where these guys came from.
    Murdering somebody and sending a large number of troops to their position are far from mutually exclusive.

25. - Top - End - #265

I'll throw in dea ex machina, or diva regina ex favilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #266

We don't know for an absolute fact that Zola is still the one in charge of the Queen of the Dawn's body. (I think she probably is, just saying.) And it could be one of The Other's minions who sent the invaders, rather than one of the copies directly.

27. - Top - End - #267

Could also be the copy in Anevka, given they're using clank speech balloons.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I'll throw in dea ex machina, or diva regina ex favilla.
    Divine queen out of cinders? I don’t think Trelawney’s life expectancy is that bad, she seems to have done that before.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Divine queen out of cinders? I don’t think Trelawney’s life expectancy is that bad, she seems to have done that before.
    Favilla also means spark. Scintilla would have been less ambiguous, though.

I wonder if this is where Trelawney goes all "look upon me ye mighty and despair", and Gil falls in love with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Favilla also means spark. Scintilla would have been less ambiguous, though.
    Ah yes, that makes more sense. I was thinking of the Dies irae poem.

I wonder if this is where Trelawney goes all "look upon me ye mighty and despair", and Gil falls in love with her.
    No I think Albia is taking remote control of Trelawney there.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.