New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    If you want to gender the words, remember that every word in Spanish has a gender, including the articles. It should be "female la Coca."
    There are exceptions though- all giraffes have a feminine article, for example, meaning that it could just be "el Coco" regardless of the gender unless there is a female form that exists. This also may well not be the case, but my point is that every language is largely built on the exceptions of rules.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    every language is largely built on the exceptions of rules.
    What about "I before E except after C"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    What about "I before E except after C"?
    More exceptions than matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

English is terrible at following its own rules, isn't it?
    feed the crows

5. - Top - End - #185

AssassinGuy

Rules are made to be broken.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Language rules are written long after they're established, and anyone who thinks they'll hold is kidding themselves. Languages are written by their speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #187

ElfWarriorGuy

I think all the votes and changes are included (and Darth Paul has now moved into first place for most times changing vote). If I missed yours, please let me know.

I’ll retabulate the leaders again in a few weeks.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

8. - Top - End - #188

PirateGirl

It's been a while since I've been on this thread. I'd like to formally cast my vote for Protean please!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aspheric View Post
    English is terrible at following its own rules, isn't it?
    I think it was Grey Wolf who said that English rules were so badly written that its basically impossible to speak it wrong.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #190

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    I think all the votes and changes are included (and Darth Paul has now moved into first place for most times changing vote).
    Namer Of MitD Threads

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jineon View Post
    Waiting for a Team Evil appearance, we can settle for the little clues we have.

I'm still trying to understand the art of the Escape scene (the glowing eyes). That's not how magic usually works and Laurin's psionics didn't really work that way either.

#1160 has:
    - a spell-like ability cast without speaking its name (no eyes, so neither glow nor no-glow);
    - Roy's eyes glowing when using his sword's powers;
    - Durkon's eyes not glowing when using the returning property of his hammer.

Do the powers of an ancestral weapon come from the bearer rather than the weapon? Would Durkon's eyes not glow because he's using his weapon's magic while Roy's eyes do because the magic he uses comes from him (and is channeled in some way through the weapon)?

The color of the eyes and the glowing when using magic seems somewhat inconsistent to me and I can't really see a pattern there. Maybe I'm just trying too hard and this is just some artistic glitter ink on some magic effects thrown in for awesomeness sake.
    FWIW, V's eyes glow on several occassions, especially when angry, like when he threatened Elan on the boat, or in this comic that I just found by chance.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Indeed.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    FWIW, V's eyes glow on several occassions, especially when angry, like when he threatened Elan on the boat, or in this [Jineon's note : link cut - less than 10 posts] comic that I just found by chance.
    Indeed. There is very little consistency in the way glowing eyes are drawn. Miko's eyes glow blue in #281 but are still black in the same circumstances (Detect Evil stopped by a lead sheet) in #208. It could be emotion based but Miko seems to have cooled down a bit in #281 so I'm not sure I'd want to consider it's that.

So much for this idea, I guess. Thanks for pointing out these occurences.
    Pretending to be one of Peelee's ninja lotsey under Darth Paul.
    Currently busy getting crushed.

Will switch allegiance for awesome quotes.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jineon View Post
    Indeed. There is very little consistency in the way glowing eyes are drawn. Miko's eyes glow blue in #281 but are still black in the same circumstances (Detect Evil stopped by a lead sheet) in #208. It could be emotion based but Miko seems to have cooled down a bit in #281 so I'm not sure I'd want to consider it's that.

So much for this idea, I guess. Thanks for pointing out these occurences.
    For spellcasters, its less a matter of "eyes will glow under this circumstance" and more of a "these circumstances may cause eyes to glow".

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #195

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I think it was Grey Wolf who said that English rules were so badly written that its basically impossible to speak it wrong.
    Sounds about right!

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    For spellcasters, its less a matter of "eyes will glow under this circumstance" and more of a "these circumstances may cause eyes to glow".
    As the one who brought up the glowing eyes thing, my point was more that they seemed to indicate that MitD (and possibly but not necessarily anyone else) used some kind of magical ability. It's probably worth noting that the comic's art style has changed, but characters who use spells or replicate spells through other effects still give some sort of visual indication that they're using some kind of magic. The distinct glow of MitD's eyes in the Escape scene suggests he's using magic explicitly, since we wouldn't be able to see any colourful aura surrounding his limbs, as with V, Durkon, or any other spellcaster in the story. Or, at least, I believe that to be the case. Of course, this is complicated by the fact that we don't know exactly what spell/ability MitD used...

Regarding the Escape, something that I've been thinking about recently is how I'm not sure it can be the Protean. Its explanation obviously has the problems of being extremely coincidental, which I suppose is fine, but that seems to conflict with this quote from Rich, as swiped from the first post:

[O-Chul] breaks himself out of the cage, he drives off Redcloak with a lucky shot, and most importantly, he has won the trust of the monster in the darkness over the course of months. So much so that the monster digs deep and discovers powers that he didn't even know he had in order to save him.
    Would the MitD really have discovered a power "he didn't know he had," if as a Protean, he just happened to have it in that moment? The phrasing here suggests that he had the capacity to "escape" O-Chul all along, at any point until Xykon was about to kill him, and tapped into this power when he became desperate. That doesn't really make sense as far as the Hegunemnon is concerned, as it requires a coincidental shifting to have the right ability for the scene. Now, I realize this could be reading too much into Rich's quote, but I'm not sure why he would phrase the above comment as he did if he knew that the Protean wouldn't otherwise have the power to make the Escape work.
    feed the crows

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aspheric View Post
    Would the MitD really have discovered a power "he didn't know he had," if as a Protean, he just happened to have it in that moment?
    Yes, if the power he discovered inside himself is the Alter Shape ability - i.e. the ability to control what he morphs into, rather than it being completely random. It also explains why later he can't teleport the goblin: he might be morphing into a creature on purpose, he just doesn't know which creature can teleport.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, if the power he discovered inside himself is the Alter Shape ability - i.e. the ability to control what he morphs into, rather than it being completely random. It also explains why later he can't teleport the goblin: he might be morphing into a creature on purpose, he just doesn't know which creature can teleport.

Grey Wolf
    It could, of course, be that he literally didn't know he was in a form that let him use the relevant power (or that he can use the powers of the creatures he morphs into) but the Alter Shape thing works too. Basically, is a weird one for the Protean but doesn't really hamper it much at all.

-Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Grey Wolf
    Isnt that mutually exclusive with the idea that he's deliberately holding a specific shape or partial shape out of politeness or whatever?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Isnt that mutually exclusive with the idea that he's deliberately holding a specific shape or partial shape out of politeness or whatever?
    Regardless, it fits perfectly fine with the Peeleean Protean Theory.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Regardless, it fits perfectly fine with the Peeleean Protean Theory.
    Is that the Italian Protean one, or the Norwegian one?

-Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to formally propose a vote for two changes to the FBS.

First, I would like to propose that no D&D creature with a Challenge Rating below 18 should be considered.

Spoiler: Reasoning
    Show
    Every scene that showcases the creature's power suggests he's massively powerful in some way. Unveiling a CR 13 glabrezu before a level 9 party and saying "you foolish mortals can never prevail...while I have the power of this on my side" would be dubious at best; telling that same CR 13 creature "we all know how powerful you are, there's nothing in there scarier than you should be" and expecting one to deal with an ancient silver dragon is downright absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Redblade View Post
    I support the vote for the Challenge Rating change
    Would it help if I volunteer to track the votes? I do feel guilty about putting another vote on Grey Wolf so soon.
    I agree 100% with Kish's reasoning, do support the vote (with Rob Redblade, that makes two of us), and will yet again point out that there's zero reason we have to use a ridiculous, cumbersome, misapplied, and needlessly "exhausting" for the curator (his own word) system in order to run it.

How about a simple binary choice between

"YES, I would like to raise the CR requirement to 18."
    "NO, I would like that requirement to stay where it is."

It would be pretty easy to run. Could even be run publicly, if we ask people to just include their binary vote as part of whatever ongoing discussion is taking place (put them in bold or in color, if you want to be sure).

I'd volunteer to compile these votes, if Kish doesn't.

Oh and BTW, I would vote YES <---- this is how people can vote while posting; pretty seamless no?
    Last edited by lio45; 2019-04-07 at 01:34 PM.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I
    It would be pretty easy to run. Could even be run publicly, if we ask people to just include their binary vote as part of whatever ongoing discussion is taking place (put them in bold or in color, if you want to be sure).

Oh and BTW, I would vote YES <---- this is how people can vote while posting; pretty seamless no?
    Unless one has nothing to post other than a vote, which I susoect would be the case for a significant percentage, which gets us right back to the reason GW does the quasi-public vote.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #203

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I agree 100% with Kish's reasoning, do support the vote (with Rob Redblade, that makes two of us), and will yet again point out that there's zero reason we have to use a ridiculous, cumbersome, misapplied, and needlessly "exhausting" for the curator (his own word) system in order to run it.

How about a simple binary choice between

"YES, I would like to raise the CR requirement to 18."
    "NO, I would like that requirement to stay where it is."

I don't know what makes you think seconding the call for a vote at this time is a wise decision, after so many people have voiced their opinion that we shouldn't have a vote.

There is such a small chance that a vote for ANY change will pass right now. If there is a vote, my vote is for no change and yes, don't worry, I'll DM GW ASAP.

EDIT: Or I guess ASAN (As Soon As Needed)
    Last edited by thelivingmonkey; 2019-04-07 at 03:26 PM.
    Peelee's Lurker Lotsey Leader

24. - Top - End - #204

AssassinGuy

Holding a specific shape (or partial shape), rather than letting himself coalesce into a constant boiling mass of protoplasmic flesh
    Spoiler
    Show
    (I just came up with that phrase, I think, unless I read it somewhere, but either way I really like the way it rolls off the keyboard)
    is different from specifically changing into the shape of a creature with the extraordinary powers he needs at a critical moment. I think the "discovery of his powers" would be that he can choose a specific creature, not just freeze himself into a shape which doesn't represent any specific creature at all.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Holding a specific shape (or partial shape), rather than letting himself coalesce into a constant boiling mass of protoplasmic flesh
    Spoiler
    Show
    (I just came up with that phrase, I think, unless I read it somewhere, but either way I really like the way it rolls off the keyboard)
    is different from specifically changing into the shape of a creature with the extraordinary powers he needs at a critical moment. I think the "discovery of his powers" would be that he can choose a specific creature, not just freeze himself into a shape which doesn't represent any specific creature at all.
    That is a real word, but it doesn't quite mean that. Close but not exactly.

In other news: Yeah, pretty much. For all we know, a Protean MitD hadn't assumed a specific form- he had stopped in whatever mode he was at, in between or not.

-Squire Doodad

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thelivingmonkey View Post
    I don't know what makes you think seconding the call for a vote at this time is a wise decision
    The fact that I've personally found the CR requirements to be unacceptably low for about a decade now. I'm always going to be in favor of raising them, and if I happen to be around whenever someone has the good sense of suggesting that particular change, I'll always give them my support and my vote.

Plus, I've been arguing for a while that there's no fundamental reason why running a vote should be "exhausting" on the curator, so, to be coherent with my position, I'm not treating this community having a vote (on a binary matter) as a huge deal that requires lots of work.

As for Peelee's point, I don't necessarily disagree; it could be via PMs as well. However, I happen to think it would probably be okay even if done in the thread. But even via PMs, it's easily compiled, especially if we ask voters to just use the PM Subject for their "yes" or "no".
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

27. - Top - End - #207

DruidGirl

I think the "discovery of his powers" would be that he can choose a specific creature, not just freeze himself into a shape which doesn't represent any specific creature at all.
    I suppose this suffices as a technical explanation, but I don't know. Wouldn't he still need to know the creature he's transforming into for the Protean's Alter Shape to satisfy the Escape? I don't know if that is knowledge MitD possesses, since he doesn't seem to know what he is himself, though I guess that's too subjective to judge either way.

I don't have opinions on the Protean either way, though I'd be surprised if MitD revealed himself to be the shifting mass of flesh that is the Hagunemnon, since I've been reading the descriptions of his capabilities (i.e. the stomp, swallowing Redcloak whole) as suggestive of appendages that aren't constantly changing. That's my personal read, though, and I admit it would be kind of amusing for RC to betray Xykon, and MitD having an, "ugh, hold on, one second," moment as he morphs back into having a mouth to satisfy Xykon's command for him.

Unrelated: I looked back at the SRD page for the Hagunemnon and noticed it has "immunities," though the page doesn't articulate what they're actually immune to. Does anyone know what it's immunities actually are? I'm curious!

Quote Originally Posted by thelivingmonkey View Post
    There is such a small chance that a vote for ANY change will pass right now.
    It's also not great to have voting periods follow one another so closely, especially when the last one was against making any changes. I think it'd be better to wait, especially since the last one was so contentious.
    feed the crows

28. - Top - End - #208

AssassinGuy

My theory (unless it's better phrased as an hypothesis) goes something like this:

The Monster has been hanging around Team Evil, specifically Redcloak, the knowledge guy, for years. MitD has this Detect Thoughts power (assuming he is a Protean). He doesn't really have much to do, because they don't trust him to do much, but sometimes, he reads thoughts. It's a power he's not really aware of having because he's always had it. So, without fully realizing it, he's picked up a lot of Redcloak's knowledge.

Now comes the time when he needs to find the power to help O-Chul Escape. Where should O-Chul Escape to? In V's mind, MitD can see an Azurite settlement. O-Chul's other friends! Cool! How will he Escape? If only there were some creature MitD could turn into that had the ability to teleport everybody to that place! Well... Redcloak was thinking about psionic powers just the other day, and he was reading about a creature that has the psionic ability to teleport... so... try really hard... and.... change...

Is it a huge stretch? Perhaps. Does it make a sort of sense? Perhaps.

EDIT: I see the SRD lists a +47 Intimidate skill. Would that account for the instance of shouting at Haley and Belkar, rather than a Shout spell of some kind? Even at a lower level of skill due to his youth?
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2019-04-08 at 01:08 AM.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

29. - Top - End - #209

There's another thing:

I just read that the Protean can only copy extraordinal abilities, but not spell like ones.
    What is Wish?
    Or "Teleport others"?
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    There's another thing:

I just read that the Protean can only copy extraordinal abilities, but not spell like ones.
    What is Wish?
    Or "Teleport others"?
    Depends on the monster. Different monsters cast different effects as different types. Part of the challenge with the Protean has been finding monsters with extraordinary abilities to do what we need it to do.