New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Rule Maker: A True Controller(3.5 Base Class PEACH)

The Tile Master

Watch your step, you might lose your life.
    P.S.

Alignment
    Any

Hit Die
    d4.

Class Skills
    The Tile Master's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise(Int) Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int) Use Magic Device(Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level
    (2 + Int modifier) Χ4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
    2 + Int modifier.
    The Tile Master Active Tiles
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Least Lesser Common Greater Grand
    1st 0 0 0 2 Aura of Tiles, Least Tiles, Knowledge of Tiles 3 — — — —
    2nd 1 0 0 3 4 — — — —
    3rd 1 1 1 3 4 — — — —
    4th 2 1 1 4 5 — — — —
    5th 2 1 1 4 Lesser Tiles 5 3 — — —
    6th 3 2 2 5 5 4 — — —
    7th 3 2 2 5 6 4 — — —
    8th 4 2 2 6 6 5 — — —
    9th 4 3 3 6 6 5 — — —
    10th 5 3 3 7 Common Tiles 7 5 3 — —
    11th 5 3 3 7 7 6 4 — —
    12th 6/1 4 4 8 7 6 4 — —
    13th 6/1 4 4 8 8 6 5 — —
    14th 7/2 4 4 9 8 7 5 — —
    15th 7/2 5 5 9 Greater Tiles 8 7 5 3 —
    16th 8/3 5 5 10 9 7 6 4 —
    17th 8/3 5 5 10 9 8 6 4 —
    18th 9/4 6 6 11 9 8 6 5 —
    19th 9/4 6 6 11 10 8 7 5 —
    20th 10/5 6 6 12 Grand Tiles, Unbreakable Tile 10 9 7 5 3

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    Tile Masters are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield.

Aura of Tiles (Su)
    A 1st level Tile Master has an Aura with a radius of 10 ft. x Wis mod (min 1) x level.

Tiles (Su)
    A Tile Master can create an effect that affects a number of 5’ squares, called tiles, equal to his Wisdom modifier + his Tile Master level within his Aura of Tiles. These squares must be contiguous. If any two opposing Tiles attempt to control the same square they negate each others effects, but the square is still considered active for contiguity.
    Creating a Tile is a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity.
    A Tile Master can create any number of Tiles per day.
    A Tile Master can only have a certain number of Tiles active at a time. The number of Tiles he can have active is shown on Table: Active Tiles. In addition he gains a number of active Tiles equal to his Intelligence modifier.

Knowledge of Tiles (Su)
    All Tiles are obviously visible as a Tile as the have glowing runes all over their surface, but a creature may not discern what each does, if it is not obvious, unless he has the Feat Knowledge of Tiles or has spell Discern Tiles placed on him.

Spoiler: Discern Tiles Spell
    Show
    Discern Tiles
    Divination
    Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S,
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range Touch
    Targets: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Touched creature innately knows what Effect a given Tile(that it can see) has placed upon it.

Spoiler: Knowledge of Tiles Feat
    Show
    Knowledge of Tiles
    Knowledge of Tiles [General]
    Benefits: You innately know what effect a given Tile(that you can see) has placed upon it.
    Special: A Tile Master has this automatically.

Spoiler: Magic Item
    Show
    Ring Of Discern Tiles
    Wearer is continually under the effect of Discern Tiles.
    Faint transmutatation; CL 1st; Forge Ring, Discern Tiles; Price 500 gp.

Punishment (Su)
    A creature may attempt to dispel a Tile by making a saving throw according to the Tile. The DC for the saving throw is (10+(Cha x Tile level)). The Punishment for attempting to dispel (regardless of success) is "Take damage equal to (1d6 + the Tile Master's Charisma modifier per level)".

Spoiler: Least Tiles (1st)
    Show

Burning Tile
    Effect: This Tile is on fire and deals 1d6/Charisma modifier Fire damage to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this must make a reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or be set on fire and take 1d4 fire damage per round for 1d4 rounds (This effect is not cumulative).
    Dispel: Fort

Freezing Tile
    Effect: This Tile is freezing dealing 1d6/Charisma modifier Cold damage and to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this mus t make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or have their speed decreased by 1/2 for 1d4 turns (This effect is not cumulative)

Shocking Tile
    Effect: This Tile emits an electric shock after being touched and deals 1d6/Charisma modifier Electricity damage to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this mus t make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or be forced to drop what ever they are holding, and take a -2 to AC and lose its Dexterity bonus to AC.

Acidic Tile
    Effect: This Tile is covered in acid fog and deals 1d6/Charisma modifier Acid damage to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this mus t make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or be blinded for 1d4 rounds by tears. (This effect is not cumulative)

Loud Tile
    Effect: This Tile emits a sonic vibration after being touched and deals 1d6/Charisma modifier Sonic damage to any creature that touches it. Additionally any creature dealt damage by this mus t make a Reflex Save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Tile Masters Level + 1/2 the initial damage dealt) or be deafened for 1d4 rounds. (This effect is not cumulative)

Light
    Effect This Tile gives off light in a 10' ft radius as a torch.
    Dispel Will

Slippery
    Effect: Any creature attempting to move through this Tile must make a balance check (dc 10 +1 per 5 ft moved), or fall over
    Dispel: Reflex

Darkness
    Effect: This Tile gives off Darkness in a 5 ft radius.
    Dispel: Will

Obscuring mist
    Effect: This Tile is under the effect of obscuring mist

Illusory Wall
    Effect: This Tile has an opaque 10 ft. illusion of a wall on it.

Spoiler: Lesser Tiles (2nd)
    Show
    Vector Tile
    Effect: Any creature on the Tile is move 5 ft in one direction (determined at creation), if the creature is unwilling to move it may make a reflex save DC (10 +1/2 the Tile Masters level + the Tile Masters Charisma Modifier) to stand still.
    Dispel: Reflex

Protection from Chaos
    Effect: Chaotic creatures cannot pass through this Tile

Protection from Evil
    Effect: Evil creatures cannot pass through this Tile

Protection from Good
    Effect: Lawful creatures cannot pass through this Tile

Protection from Law
    Effect: Lawful creatures cannot pass through this Tile

Expeditious Retreat
    Effect: Movement through this Tile is free.

Protection from Arrows
    Effect: Projectiles cannot pass through this tile

Blur
    Effect: Creatures on this tile gain a 20% concealment

Spoiler: Common Tiles (3rd)
    Show
    Owl’s Wisdom
    Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Wisdom while on the Tile.
    Punishment: -4 to the corresponding stat for 3 rounds

Bear’s Endurance
    Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution while on the Tile.

Bull’s Strength
    Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength while on the Tile.

Cat’s Grace
    Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity while on the Tile.
    Dispel:Fort

Fox’s Cunning
    Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence while on the Tile.

Eagle’s Splendor
    Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma while on the Tile.

Dimensional Lock
    Effect: Extra Dimensional travel through the tile is blocked as per the spell Dimensional Lock.

Displacement
    Effect: Creatures on this Tile gain a 50% concealment

Mirror Image
    Effect: Any creature stepping on this Tile creates an illusory duplicate on all other tiles of the same type.

Spoiler: Greater Tiles (4th)
    Show
    Resist energy
    Effect: any creature on the tile gains energy resistance 20 to a single element while on the tile

Dimensional Lock
    Effect: Extra Dimensional travel through the Tile is blocked as per the spell Dimensional Lock.

Wall of Force
    Effect: This Tile is under the effect of Wall of force
    Dispel: fort

Spoiler: Grand Tiles (5th)
    Show
    Anti-Magic Field
    Effect: This Tile give off the effect of an Anti-Magic Field.

Invisibility
    Effect: All creatures on this Tile are invisible.

Protection from Energy
    Effect: immunity to specific energy
    Punishment: Weakness to chosen energy for 3 rounds

Unbreakable Tile (Ex)
    At 20th level a Tile Master chooses a single Tile to be his Unbreakable Tile. This Tile's level is equal to his class level, and if it is ever dispelled the dispeller must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Tile level + Charisma modifier) or die.

Spoiler: Tile Feats
    Show

Enlarge Tile [MetaTile]
    Benefit
    You may make a single tile effect 4 times as many 5' squares. This counts as 2 tiles active.

Extend Tile [MetaTile]
    Benefit
    You may make a single Tile's effect last for a number of rounds (1+cha mod) after being stepped off of. This counts as 2 tiles active

Twin Tile [MetaTile]
    Benefit
    You may select a single tile and apply 2 meta tile feats to it. This counts as 4 tiles active.

Web of Tiles[General]
    Prerequisite
    Ability to make Tiles.
    Benefit
    Your Tiles may extend outside your aura.
    Special
    Every Tile you make must begin and end next to you or another tile.
    Normal
    Tiles you make need not be adjacent to one another.

Immunity to Tiles[General]
    Prerequisite
    Ability to make Tiles.
    Benefit
    You cannot be affected by any Tile you make (Regardless of its ability)

Lure Tile[MetaTile]
    Prerequisite
    Ability to make Tiles.
    Benefit
    Each round, any enemy who sees this tile must make a Will Save (DC 10 + Tile Master Level + Charisma Modifier) or at least make one move action to move towards this. Once they touch the tile, they are immune from the effect for (30 - Effective Tile Master Level) rounds.

Effects of Tiles
    Now this is where it is truly WIP.
    Spoiler: Effects of Tiles(Spells)
    Show
    Sleepy
    Heroism
    Greater Heroism
    Last edited by AkazilliaDeNaro; 2014-12-01 at 12:40 PM.
    If you are going to shorten my name go with "Akaz" instead of "Aka" its less confusing.
    Also I may End up Capatalizing the BEginning of words, or mispelleing them interly.
    Think nothing of it, I just REALLY suck at typing.(Those examples were on purpose, though.)
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Rule Maker: A True Controller(3.5 Base Class WIP PEACH)

Hopefully some of this is helpful:

Looking at the effects of rules, I'm not sure how some of them make sense.
    All are blind is good (I command no peeking!), but all are invisible doesn't make sense to me (I command no being visible..?)

Is raw talking about normal damage? That might be called untyped, but I'm bad with these things.

Maybe give gease, or gease like abilities. See how much is already made for you.

I suggest rules can only make people do what they're capable of. I command you to fall asleep! shouldn't work.

See how broken things would be if you let the players write the rules, instead of drawing from a list. I believe the Machiavellian does something similar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qazzquimby View Post
    Hopefully some of this is helpful:

Looking at the effects of rules, I'm not sure how some of them make sense.
    All are blind is good (I command no peeking!), but all are invisible doesn't make sense to me (I command no being visible..?)

Is raw talking about normal damage? That might be called untyped, but I'm bad with these things.

Maybe give gease, or gease like abilities. See how much is already made for you.

I suggest rules can only make people do what they're capable of. I command you to fall asleep! shouldn't work.

See how broken things would be if you let the players write the rules, instead of drawing from a list. I believe the Machiavellian does something similar.
    I realized that i was just trying to make a class that manipulates these.
    If you are going to shorten my name go with "Akaz" instead of "Aka" its less confusing.
    Also I may End up Capatalizing the BEginning of words, or mispelleing them interly.
    Think nothing of it, I just REALLY suck at typing.(Those examples were on purpose, though.)
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qazzquimby View Post
    <Raises eyebrow> Do explain? (PM, so there isn't a derail.)

I like what I see so far; you could do some work with formatting, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Am I the only one thinking of gandalf saying you shall not pass
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorfloss View Post
    Am I the only one thinking of gandalf saying you shall not pass
    That is going in the class!
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I realized that i was just trying to make a class that manipulates these.
    Oh, you should perhaps note that somewhere visible. Knowing that makes the class pretty easy to understand, and that's not what comes to mind when I think rulemaking.

<Raises eyebrow> Do explain? (PM, so there isn't a derail.)
    It's only similar to my suggestion, not his class. He went in an entirely different direction than I thought he was, so it's not really relevant.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm not sure I understand how the fluff relates to the mechanics. How is making a civic order causing darkness, mists, and illusory walls?

Kinda agree with qazz, in that this wasn't what I imagined when I heard rule-making. Was expecting more of buffing/debuffing abjuration types. (e.g you can't <action> in this area, or doing <action> in this area earns <penalty>, or anyone who does <action> in this area gets <bonus>)
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how the fluff relates to the mechanics. How is making a civic order causing darkness, mists, and illusory walls?

Kinda agree with qazz, in that this wasn't what I imagined when I heard rule-making. Was expecting more of buffing/debuffing abjuration types. (e.g you can't <action> in this area, or doing <action> in this area earns <penalty>, or anyone who does <action> in this area gets <bonus>)

When i first started this class i was trying to combine Geo Panels with Freed Justine. So half of what i was trying to do was just that.
    But now it is leaning more toward the Geo panel side of the equation.
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inspired by the judges from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? (I hated those guys)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Added to OP
    Last edited by AkazilliaDeNaro; 2014-06-22 at 01:38 PM.
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Rule Maker: A True Controller(3.5 Base Class PEACH)

Punishment for attempting to dispel (regardless of success) is "Take damage equal to (1d6 + the Tile Master's Charisma modifier per level)".
    Is putting the "per level" after the modifier intentional? This way, a level 6 Tile Master with 20 charisma would deal 6d6+30 damage.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I'd recommend putting the updated version in the OP. Anyway, here's some suggestions.

Add some features, obviously, there are a lot of dead levels. I don't feel this class could fair alone without some class features.

I'd also recommend some feats like "Metatile" Feats. Some I'd recommend are (and note these are only usable on one tile at a time)

Enlarge Tile, which makes makes a single tile take up 4 5' squares.

Extend Tile, which makes a tile's effect last for (1+Cha Mod) rounds after stepping off the tile.

Twin Tile, select two tile effects, you may overlap them, but this counts as 3 tiles activated.

I'd also recommend some really nerfed version of Heal as a tile, maybe Fast Healing 1 when on said tile?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    Is putting the "per level" after the modifier intentional? This way, a level 6 Tile Master with 20 charisma would deal 6d6+30 damage.
    Yes that was intentional, is it too powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by spikeof2010 View Post
    I'd recommend putting the updated version in the OP. Anyway, here's some suggestions.

Add some features, obviously, there are a lot of dead levels. I don't feel this class could fair alone without some class features.

I'd also recommend some feats like "Metatile" Feats. Some I'd recommend are (and note these are only usable on one tile at a time)

Enlarge Tile, which makes makes a single tile take up 4 5' squares.

Extend Tile, which makes a tile's effect last for (1+Cha Mod) rounds after stepping off the tile.

Twin Tile, select two tile effects, you may overlap them, but this counts as 3 tiles activated.

I'd also recommend some really nerfed version of Heal as a tile, maybe Fast Healing 1 when on said tile?
    those are some really good suggestions. Quick to the 'brewmobile!
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Some effects, possibly more better for Metatiles.

Lure - Each round, any enemy who sees this tile must make a Will Save (DC 10+Your Tile Master Level) or at least make one move action to move towards this. Once they touch the tile, they are immune from the effect for (30 - Effective Tile Master Level)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

These are mostly nice ideas, but execution is all over the place. Some higher-level Tiles give low-level effects, and vice-versa. You've got Dimensional Lock at two different levels of Tile. You have two abilities that are triggered by a Tile being dispelled, but Tiles are Supernatural abilities (which can't be dispelled). As written, there's no reason to not make every Tile a Lure Tile. I don't care how high a character's Will save is; throw twenty Lures at them and they'll get a natural one eventually.

And after all that, the class is rendered near-useless in battle by the fact that every single 5' square takes a full-round action. Combat isn't everything, but the Tiles are everything this class has. There are the Elemental Tiles, but you'll only be able to use one most encounters since it isn't that hard to figure out "Hey, the glowing floor just hurt me. I better stay away from that thing. Maybe I should tell my allies that it hurts too." It's possible they could only take a 5' step and not realize for a while that your Tiles have to be touching each other.

As written, Tiles are permanent until they're out of your Aura and there's no way to be rid of them. So by RAW, a Tile Master with the Web of Tiles feat becomes a Commoner with a better Will save when not in the general vicinity of the first Tile he ever made after taking the feat.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.