New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Let's Rank all the Months!

Of course, all the hate for February goes back to the Romans (who were also the ones to make it shorter than the other months - here looking at you Emperor Augustus), but I cannot detail the reason for the February hate here as it was religious.
    Augustus was also the reason why the months don't alternate between 30 and 31 days cleanly (apart from January)!
    (Basically Julius and Augustus Ceasar were calendar-wrecking hooligans.)

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Frankly, I'm of the opinion we should have 13 months of 28 days each, then a monthless New Years Day (a bank holiday) and, every four years, a second monthless day immediately following New Years Day, Leap Day (also a bank holiday). Each month is exactly four weeks, every date will fall on the same day each year but will still rotate as years change, any planning or scheduling working off a weekly or bi-weekly basis would be simplified. Once we figure out the date conversions and whatnot, we'd be all set.
    Curiously though, the 400-year cycle of the Gregorian calendar (allowing for leap centuries) is an exact number of weeks - so the weeks don't cycle bweteen 400-year sequences.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    I live literally a stone's throw from Waikīkī, so my life is pretty much non-stop sun, sand, surf, and bikinis as far as the eye can see. If it wasn't for holidays, I wouldn't have much sense of time passing. I often don't even think about what day of the week it is.
    I hate you with the envy of a thousand suns...I hope you run out of SPF, Kahuna!

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to scrape off my car...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

August because Gencon! All must make the holy pilgrimage!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    I live literally a stone's throw from Waikīkī, so my life is pretty much non-stop sun, sand, surf, and bikinis as far as the eye can see. If it wasn't for holidays, I wouldn't have much sense of time passing. I often don't even think about what day of the week it is.
    You, uh, wanna trade houses?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Summer months: great! Sun, scalding heat, blooming trees.

All the rest: crap. Less sun, no scalding heat, moderately leafy to bare trees.

Forgive me, this has been a long and cold winter. I crave the sweet kiss of the sun.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach King View Post
    Were you born on the 29 of February? If not do you only celebrate your birthday and get birthday gifts once every 4 years?
    I was not, no.
    Then how can you say it's good thing to be born on Feb. 29th? Shouldn't you give back 75% of your birthday gifts and only celebrate your birthday once every four years? Isn't that hypocrisy?

7. - Top - End - #37

Then how can you say it's good thing to be born on Feb. 29th? Shouldn't you give back 75% of your birthday gifts and only celebrate your birthday once every four years? Isn't that hypocrisy?
    I've celebrated my birthday on not-my-birthday before. Nobody thought I should give back any gifts. Also, I fail to see any hypocrisy. I can also say it's a good thing because that was the view of the person I knew who did have that birthday, so booyakasha.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

I've celebrated my birthday on not-my-birthday before. Nobody thought I should give back any gifts. Also, I fail to see any hypocrisy. I can also say it's a good thing because that was the view of the person I knew who did have that birthday, so booyakasha.
    Wow. Were to begin...

I've celebrated my birthday on not-my-birthday before.
    Not relevant. Your argument was it's good to celebrate your birthday once every 4 years, not it's good to celebrate your birthday on a day other than your birthday. If you still celebrate it on an average of once a year than this statement does not matter at all.

Nobody thought I should give back any gifts.
    Relevant how? Your argument is it's cool to celebrate one's birthday every four years - so only 25% of the time. So in order to validate your statement and not look like a hypocrite you need to only celebrate your birthday once every four years and need to repent for all the years you should not have received gifts. So give back 75% of all your birthday gifts and only celebrate it once every four years so you can validate your original argument.

I don't care if nobody thinks that.

Also, I fail to see any hypocrisy.
    You said it's cool to do something (celebrate one's birthday once every four years) yet you do not do that (you celebrate your birthday once a year). That's literally the definition of hypocrisy: preaching one ideology but not practicing it.

I can also say it's a good thing because that was the view of the person I knew who did have that birthday
    That make so little sense it's literally causing my brain to hurt. That's like saying "Vanilla is the best ice cream because I know someone that thinks it's the best," but in reality you hate vanilla ice cream. It doesn't matter what someone else thinks about an issue. If you don't share the same mentality you cannot say it is right.

so booyakasha.
    Only if "booyakasha" is Latin for "I am horribly wrong and admit I'm a hypocrite.

In closing:

9. - Top - End - #39

Your argument was it's good to celebrate your birthday once every 4 years, not it's good to celebrate your birthday on a day other than your birthday..... You said it's cool to do something (celebrate one's birthday once every four years) yet you do not do that (you celebrate your birthday once a year). That's literally the definition of hypocrisy: preaching one ideology but not practicing it.
    No, my argument was that it's a cool birthday because it doesn't exist 3 out of every 4 years:
    Excuse me, February gets bonus points for leap year. You can have a birthday that doesn't exist but every for years, how awesome is that?
    That the day doesn't exist does not mean that one cannot celebrate it; I am fully in favor of celebrating on a different day.

Also, I would argue that it's good to participate in Doctors Without Boarders despite not participating in it. That doesn't make me a hypocrite, since I fully support them, just as I fully support people born on 2/29 who choose to celebrate their birthday every year.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

1. May
    2. October
    3. November
    4. December
    5. January
    6 February.
    7. June
    8. July
    9. August
    10. April
    11. September
    12. March

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

1. October: It has my birthday in it, and the weather tends to be still quite comfortable.
    2. August: The height of summer. Summer festival season.
    3. September: Several other family members birthdays mean I have a good excuse to travel and see them.
    4. December: Christmas, right?
    5: April: Easter!
    6. May: Two bank holidays make this month a nice kind of chilled out.
    7: July: Summer weather. Like August, but the festivals haven't picked up yet.
    8: June: As July, but more like getting into July.
    9: November: I'm in the UK, so no Thanksgiving. It's basically the post-birthday slog up until Christmas.
    10: March: Windy and rainy weather, typically. Very little happens this time of year, I feel.
    11: January: New Year hangover. I typically spend much of January feeling like I didn't achieve as much the previous year as I wanted to, and trying to make plans to Get It TogetherTM.
    12: February: This is the point where the plans I made in January start to stop, as it were. Also, February 14th holds a particularly low place for me, as my social media (and regular media, for that matter) starts filling up with people showing off how happy they are with their partner. On the other hand, I'm now passed 30, and have yet to had a date on Valentine's Day that didn't get cancelled in favour of another person, stood up, or come with the needlessly detailed "reasons why I won't ever actually date you" talk. So ... yeah.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    1. May
    2. October
    3. November
    4. December
    5. January
    6 February.
    7. June
    8. July
    9. August
    10. April
    11. September
    12. March
    Why do you have the winter months so high?

Just out of curiosity, 'cause I hate them. Snow and rain and freezing cold weather and such.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    Why do you have the winter months so high?

Just out of curiosity, 'cause I hate them. Snow and rain and freezing cold weather and such.
    Because I love winter and the holidays.

14. - Top - End - #44

BlueWizardGirl

Imagine a winter morning. You wake up, and outside your window are pines, coated in snow, and on the leafless tree nearby you can see ice formed on the branches, and one the porch. The sun refracts through it, the entire landscape shining with the morning light. Getting out of bed and putting on your bathrobe, you head to the kitchen and put on a pot of hot chocolate. The dog wants to go outside, and you watch as she bounds through the snow, and returns as if dusted with sugar. It is refreshingly cold, and you can feel the breeze against your skin. After shoveling the driveway, you can relax with a cup of hot chocolate and whipped cream. Later a small snow flurry comes, and when you look outside the window you can stare at the entrancing patterns of the snow.

When night arrives, it has cooled down, and is the perfect weather for a fire. You and your family sit around it, reading, talking, or playing games as it slowly burns to embers, and when it has, you go to sleep.

Winter snowstorms are awesome.

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    Imagine a winter morning. You wake up, and outside your window are pines, coated in snow, and on the leafless tree nearby you can see ice formed on the branches, and one the porch. The sun refracts through it, the entire landscape shining with the morning light. Getting out of bed and putting on your bathrobe, you head to the kitchen and put on a pot of hot chocolate. The dog wants to go outside, and you watch as she bounds through the snow, and returns as if dusted with sugar. It is refreshingly cold, and you can feel the breeze against your skin. After shoveling the driveway, you can relax with a cup of hot chocolate and whipped cream. Later a small snow flurry comes, and when you look outside the window you can stare at the entrancing patterns of the snow.

When night arrives, it has cooled down, and is the perfect weather for a fire. You and your family sit around it, reading, talking, or playing games as it slowly burns to embers, and when it has, you go to sleep.

—Caerulea
    Imagine a winter morning. You wake up, and outside the window are tall, barren oaks, covered in the damp residue of snow and the rotten leaves of autumn. Ice coats everything, especially the gutters in your house, and the roof creaks and groans with the weight of it all. The sun refracts through it all, making the view from the window blinding and blasphemous to the sight of your still-groggy eyes. Getting out of bed, you head to the kitchen and make a pot of hot chocolate, a beverage that can be prepared at any time of the year. The dog wants to go outside, and you watch as he sinks up to his withers (is it only horses that have those?) and returns soaking wet and somehow manages to get a puddle of melted snow on your wooden floors. It is fifteen degrees Fahrenheit, and the air drips with humidity. After spending an hour twisting your back to clear the mountains of snow off of your driveway, you can drink another mug of hot chocolate, which isn't that fantastic anyway, and later the wind picks up and the falling snow turns into a blizzard that blots out any hope of leaving the house for the day and undoes all the work you put into clearing your driveway earlier. You may attempt to make a fire, but like as not you forgot to gather kindling before the snow came, and what little tinder you do have refuses to catch. I have no family to talk with around the fire, and I imagine I would be bored with reading after being homebound with nothing else to do that day.

Winter snowstorms suck.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

—Caerulea
    Yes, I loved watching the kids sled and make a snowman, better if you can do some downhill skiing, & awaking in the morning under a warm blanket. Ah, to roll over... but wait, you can't because you need to work. So you shovel, then head inside to change to dry clothes before you go to work. Except the snowplow just blocked your driveway. So you shovel again, go to work dodging people who have no idea how to deal with snow. Work your 8 hours, only to come home on the same slick roads to find the plow blocked you again! Well at least the mailman came through... to deliver your bleepity bleep oil bill!

I want to go retire so I can enjoy winters again....
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2019-04-03 at 07:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

What is this... snow y'all speak of?

1. July has to come in first for me, I actually like warm weather and I find that this is the sweet spot in between getting over the last semester and starting to think about the upcoming one.
    2. December, because Christmas, usually, family, and the being warm inside, having a break from everything else, and just general cheer is uplifting.
    3. June is (at the moment, at least) a month of freedom and sunlight.
    4. August is also likely one of my most productive months between feeling like I need to do the things I didn't all summer and not being generally sleep-deprived and burnt out in college yet once classes do start.
    5. May is a good and lively month, and it starts to be really inviting to spend time outside more often.
    6. By April, the spring's really kicking in and there are flowers and such everywhere, birds about and things growing.
    7. November is a very nice month, especially once I get to the pumpkin pie and walks on the beach with visitors.
    8. September always has better weather than I expect, which is a pleasant surprise.
    9. March, for also having decent amounts of spring and more daylight.
    10. February-- no strong feelings about this one.
    11. January has a bit of Christmas festivities left over usually, but the weather's nothing special and it's in an awkward transitional part of the year,
    12. October... I don't really care too much about Halloween (not against it or anything, just don't usually do much), so October often feels a bit more oppressive as I'm immersed in the grind of daily life again and it's always getting darker and wetter and gloomier.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

18. - Top - End - #48

—Caerulea
    Imagine a winter morning. You wake up, and outside your window are oaks, a veritable forest, barren and lifeless. Ugly bare branches covered in nothing, because it never freaking snows. Getting out of bed, you go to let the cat out, and the above-freezing temperature, which would otherwise be pleasantly cold, is transformed into a hellish freeze by the wind, which cuts you right to the bone. You would love to enjoy the day indoors, or even outdoors if the wind would ever freaking stop, but by the time you get home from work it's been dark for over an hour. On the very, very rare occasion that it does snow, the entire state shuts the hell down because, I cannot state this enough, we don't get snow, so we have no infrastructure whatsoever to handle it. It is a lifeless cold, a dreary blackness, which envelopes all it touches. There is nothing to do outside, so you are by necessity self-imprisoned in your own home.

Your winter snowstorm is my worst nightmare.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I actually love snow especially the blizzard. Too bad I didn't have one in New York City this year.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I live in the southern hemisphere, so let's go.
    Ooh, someone should do a plot of which month is the most common favorite...
    1. November - Birthday month.
    2. January - Ah, new year, hopefully it'll be better than the last one. (it won't be)
    3. April - International Chimney Day!
    4. September - Talk like a pirate day!
    5. October - Giving children candy without being arrested.
    6. August - Another Birthday Month.
    7. June - The temperature becomes pretty good (0.35 radians Celcius)
    8. December - Christmas, but it's hot
    9. July - International Free Hugs Day!
    10. March - International Pi day doesn't make sense in my country. I still celebrate.
    11. May - Nothing happens in may.
    12. February - The only month which is the worst.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by 5crownik007 View Post
    1. March - International Pi day doesn't make sense in my country. I still celebrate.
    You could celebrate on July 22, if you'd rather.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. June: Great weather!
    2. April: It's marking the end of a horrible season and welcoming a new one (even though Spring starts in March, it doesn't feel like Spring until April) and it's time to plant flowers!
    3. May: Everything is green and in bloom and the weather is lovely. But it's also the break between terms for me, which I do not enjoy, unlike most college students, it seems...
    4. July: Nice and warm! It's always motivation for exercise, to me.
    5. December: Christmas!
    6. August: The weather is starting to turn a little foul... I hate Autumn, but not as much as Winter. The good weather is ending.
    7. March: The good weather is beginning, but it's still too cold.
    8. February: Valentine's Day! My favorite holiday, and the day before my birthday. :)
    9/10/11. September, October, November: Blah. What's to like? At least Christmas is coming.
    12. January: The month where my SAD decides to go full hog.

For the record, I live in Iowa. We have bitterly cold Winters (this Winter, our record was -47 F with windchill--it's regularly in the teens and below) and hot Summers. This also means that my favorite months are also tornado-season months. :( I have had multiple tornados take out our neighbor's homes...
    Last edited by Mariele; 2019-04-04 at 02:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I actually love snow especially the blizzard. Too bad I didn't have one in New York City this year.
    Yeah, I got very little snow this year compared to normal. We only had about 2 good snowstorms, the rest was surprisingly warm.
    Getting out of bed, you head to the kitchen and make a pot of hot chocolate, a beverage that can be prepared at any time of the year.
    But who drinks hot chocolate in July, when it is 90 degrees out? (Monsters. That's who.)
    The dog wants to go outside, and you watch as he sinks up to his withers (is it only horses that have those?) and returns soaking wet and somehow manages to get a puddle of melted snow on your wooden floors.
    Does your dog also sometimes decide that the soaking wet towel you put down to stop her from dripping is the perfect to run around the house with, and then shove in your face so you can play tug of war?
    I have no family to talk with around the fire, and I imagine I would be bored with reading after being homebound with nothing else to do that day.
    There is the internet.
    A brisk darkness sounds like nice weather. You can put on a sweater or windbreaker, get and read, or do whatever. Really, freezing rain is the worst.

—Caerulea
    Extended Signature.

she/her

24. - Top - End - #54

A brisk darkness sounds like nice weather. You can put on a sweater or windbreaker, get and read, or do whatever. Really, freezing rain is the worst.

—Caerulea
    "Brisk" is a good word. Not to describe Alabama winters, of course. Terrible word for that. "Biting" would be more accurate.

25. - Top - End - #55

BlueWizardGirl

"Brisk" is a good word. Not to describe Alabama winters, of course. Terrible word for that. "Biting" would be more accurate.
    Then you can put on a coat or sweater, and then get the feeling of satisfaction when you come inside and remove your (1-5) layer(s) of protection. My point is, winter is awesome.

—Caerulea
    Extended Signature.

she/her

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Please! Biting Alabama winter? Alabama touches the Gulf! You don't have winter; you have hurricane season and summer!

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Please! Biting Alabama winter? Alabama touches the Gulf! You don't have winter; you have hurricane season and summer!
    I believe you mean hurricane season, winter, tornado season, and summer.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Imagine a winter morning. You wake up, and outside the window are tall, barren oaks, covered in the damp residue of snow and the rotten leaves of autumn. Ice coats everything, especially the gutters in your house, and the roof creaks and groans with the weight of it all. The sun refracts through it all, making the view from the window blinding and blasphemous to the sight of your still-groggy eyes. Getting out of bed, you head to the kitchen and make a pot of hot chocolate, a beverage that can be prepared at any time of the year. The dog wants to go outside, and you watch as he sinks up to his withers (is it only horses that have those?) and returns soaking wet and somehow manages to get a puddle of melted snow on your wooden floors. It is fifteen degrees Fahrenheit, and the air drips with humidity. After spending an hour twisting your back to clear the mountains of snow off of your driveway, you can drink another mug of hot chocolate, which isn't that fantastic anyway, and later the wind picks up and the falling snow turns into a blizzard that blots out any hope of leaving the house for the day and undoes all the work you put into clearing your driveway earlier. You may attempt to make a fire, but like as not you forgot to gather kindling before the snow came, and what little tinder you do have refuses to catch. I have no family to talk with around the fire, and I imagine I would be bored with reading after being homebound with nothing else to do that day.

Winter snowstorms suck.
    Imagine a winter morning. You wake up, and outside your window are oaks, a veritable forest, barren and lifeless. Ugly bare branches covered in nothing, because it never freaking snows. Getting out of bed, you go to let the cat out, and the above-freezing temperature, which would otherwise be pleasantly cold, is transformed into a hellish freeze by the wind, which cuts you right to the bone. You would love to enjoy the day indoors, or even outdoors if the wind would ever freaking stop, but by the time you get home from work it's been dark for over an hour. On the very, very rare occasion that it does snow, the entire state shuts the hell down because, I cannot state this enough, we don't get snow, so we have no infrastructure whatsoever to handle it. It is a lifeless cold, a dreary blackness, which envelopes all it touches. There is nothing to do outside, so you are by necessity self-imprisoned in your own home.

Hmm...

My wife and younger son would get stir crazy and bother me and my older son, but with supplies and utilities (and if my wife would allow me to run the heat) that sounds AWESOME!!!

Hot chocolate, reading, and a winter landscape?

Sign me up!

If the roof doesn't leak I find the sound of rain pleasant, darker days means that the two year old and wife will likely sleep longer, if I can avoid going to work or

*shudder*

house repairs and yardwork; and instead make stew (Portuguese style with beef, chorizo, and wine), drink tea and hot chocolate, read, watch some movies or Game of Thrones...

....hot damn that sounds good!

Though I love going for walks and bicycle rides during Thanksgiving and the Super bowl when the streets are empty and quiet.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

July is the best because it's Winter and my birthday. Also school vacations... So there are fewer people and slightly less traffic.

February is the worst because it's Summer and Carnaval (aka: the worst holiday ever!).

Everything else is more or less the same for their season. (Winter > Fall = Spring > Summer).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-04-12 at 05:18 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'll play. I've lived all over the US- and traveled for work a lot last year- so I'm a little more subjective.

1. October. Autumn is the best. Halloween is great. The year is winding down, a light nip in the air.
    2. July. If you're not American, you may not understand just how amazing the 4th can be. Some of my most favorite memories are on that day. Plus the weather's fun and everybody's doing something. It always seems like people are more alive and alert in July- Summer is a wonderful spirit.
    3. August. Once you're out of school, you like it more. Friends are more prone to be free now that the kids are back in school- you've still got nice weather, and some of my best friends have birthdays around this time.
    4.September. Such a fun transitory month. You hail a fond farewell to summer and just start to taste Autumn in the wind. I love the anticipation of the coming season here.
    5. November. Everyone starts buckling down for winter, more time indoors. The sun hasn't quite left yet, but it will. Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time- my favorite holiday, just ahead of the 4th, which beats out halloween.
    6. May, though this depends on where I'm living. I'm currently in North Dakota- and this is really when the earth finally bounces back from winter and starts to get really green. Motorcycle riding is at its peak here.
    7. December, because christmas is wonderful and the snow hasn't overstayed its welcome yet.
    8. Weather finally gets nice, but June 21st always makes me sad because I know I'm losing the sun.
    9. March. I like that Spring starts making an appearance, but its a little too gradual. March ALways seems like such a dead month that goes by too quick. An awkward transitory month most of the time.
    10. April. It's nice that most of the snow is gone but it's all muddy, mushy, ugly. Also, taxes. Ick.
    11. January. Its so dark and gloomy. I like Winter- but it carries a loneliness that I really start to feel, and New Year's celebrations have never been my thing.
    12. February. This is the month that winter officially overstays its welcome and just becomes a bitter nuisance. Valentine's- ugh. No good movies out, nothing going on or happening soon. Such a grind month.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Even if they don't have a Reaction, they can now talk through "brief utterances", which certainly includes stuff like "Help!", "Assassin!!", or "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!"