New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Insanowar 11, OR The Most Gloriously Violent Crossover Imaginable... IN SPACE!

Welcome to the Insanowar... IN SPACE!

Normal Insanowar stuff (note that much of this is likely overridden by something following it)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Da Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1.) There are five players, each of which represent a commander of their army.

2.) Each player takes turns choosing some powerful character, semi-powerful group of characters, or large mob of expendable non-characters from any sort of media. Examples: The TMNTs, a Dreadnought from 40K, a mob of kobolds.

3.) When each player has 10 selections, the game begins.

4.) A map will be provided showing the layout of the battlefield. Each person will have a base of operations with which they can wage war. Note that each base is about 2 turns away from each other.

5.) A static turn order is established. In each turn, the player dictates what their troops are doing, as far as the opponent can see. Secret actions need not be reported (although it is good sportsmanship to give hints as to what your are planning).

6.) When troops engage, the person whose turn the engagement took place on decides the outcome, which will usually NOT be all one way. If there is any friendly dispute (and the dispute WILL be friendly, or else), other players/playgrounders chime in with their opinions. If no consensus is reached, it's a 50/50 slaughter.

7.) The winner is the one who wins.

Da Guidelinez:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1.) You can't choose anyone TOO powerful. No gods, demigods, anything like that. Make it something that's about the same power level as the other troops on the field.

2.) Don't be a jerk. The objective here is to have fun--frankly, who wins and who loses is pretty arbitrary anyway. This game is definitely straddling the line between Silly and Structured.

3.) Respect Awesomeness. If a player is pulling off something that's just too awesome to believe, that should aid his victory.

4.) Enjoy yourself. Seriously, guys.

Details for Insanowar IN SPACE! Includes rules and map. If something in this contradicts with the normal Insanowar stuff, this overrides it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insanowar...

IN SPACE!

The black is, obviously, space.

The blue circles represent space stations. These have repair functions and such that you would typically expect of sci-fi space stations, but are unarmed.

The five circles outside the middle and the colored areas between them represent asteroids, with the circles representing concentrated asteroid fields. The asteroid concentration between the circles is the same, and the differing look of thickness is from the Inkscape tool I used to make this thing.

The red circle represents a plasma/ion storm, with the tendril-like bits being areas where the storm lashes out at its surroundings.

Now, the unique environment of SPACE! Insanowar presents a few issues of its own. How big can you get? How do superweapons work? Have no fear, these questions will all be answered.

The top of the size bracket would be something around the size of the Executor, the Super Star Destroyer seen in SW Episodes V and VI. It would come without its fighter complement, however, which must come as a separate pick.

Likewise, in the case of superweapons, a ship must come without its superweapon initially as a pick, and the superweapon will come as a second pick. This means that to get something like the Eclipse-a Super Star Destroyer type thing with a superlaser weapon-you would have to spend 3 picks on it to get it up to full-the ship, the fighter complement, and the superlaser. This becomes extremely important, as I will explain later.

A note on the map: The asteroid fields are meant to be harmful to larger ships, as they find it hard to avoid hitting them due to their sheer size. The plasma/ion storm is meant to be harmful to smaller ships, due to them not having as powerful shielding against such things as larger ships.

Finally, and importantly, there will be only 5 picks in SPACE! Insanowar. This is to encourage more tactical thinking on the players' part, as giant superweapons like the Eclipse, described earlier, take up most of your picks when fully outfitted!

Special thanks to Wolfbane for helping to iron out the details on this one.

Players:

Darkcomet
    Wolfbane
    ThePhantom
    The Bushranger
    EleventhHour
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Insanowar 11, OR The Most Gloriously Violent Crossover Imaginable... IN SPACE!

Oh hey, look, thread. Finally.

Let the picking begin!

NOTE: Wolfbane and EleventhHour have told me that they plan on using custom fleets and as such can simply name all of their picks at once since no one's going to pick anything only they know of before they can, obviously. This, hopefully, will help to speed things along.

Anyway, I'll start.

Pick 1: The Executor (sans fighter complement,as the rules dictated)
    Spoiler
    Show

Wolf and EH can name their fleets at any time, so Phantom's next normally, then BR.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Insanowar 11, OR The Most Gloriously Violent Crossover Imaginable... IN SPACE!

I have an idea that I'd like to pass by the rest of you. Do you all think it'd be possible to make this a bit more "reactive" than active? Like in ffrp. My point is that, if the person who does the actions decides the outcome of the fight, it could be potentially...ugly. We have fewer things to work with than in normal Insanowar, and they're (on average), much more powerful. If we make it so the person who the action is against decides the outcome it could take out most of the hostility that seems to have killed off more than a few other Insanowar games(provided we're all good sports about it).

I'm wanting this mostly to make the combat go smoother and to help kill off the limit of godmoddyness. Anything that doesn't effect another play outright is still okay as an action though. Of course, I'm still wanting to keep the Rule of Cool in play (If its suitably epic, consider letting them get away with it provided they've been able to prepare things or it seems reasonable)

Does this sound okay to everyone?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    I have an idea that I'd like to pass by the rest of you. Do you all think it'd be possible to make this a bit more "reactive" than active? Like in ffrp. My point is that, if the person who does the actions decides the outcome of the fight, it could be potentially...ugly. We have fewer things to work with than in normal Insanowar, and they're (on average), much more powerful. If we make it so the person who the action is against decides the outcome it could take out most of the hostility that seems to have killed off more than a few other Insanowar games(provided we're all good sports about it).

I'm wanting this mostly to make the combat go smoother and to help kill off the limit of godmoddyness. Anything that doesn't effect another play outright is still okay as an action though. Of course, I'm still wanting to keep the Rule of Cool in play (If its suitably epic, consider letting them get away with it provided they've been able to prepare things or it seems reasonable)

Does this sound okay to everyone?
    It could work, but now I have to think of something else for my pick.

I got it. The Millennium Falcon.
    Last edited by ThePhantom; 2010-01-18 at 10:09 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

That's a bit... low-powered for a pick. Tuned up or no, an armed light freighter does not equal a Super Star Destroyer. Just saying.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

6. - Top - End - #6

Phae Coalition
    Sphinx Battlecruiser :
    Spoiler
    Show

Engines :
    • Sublight : Three Rei'dair Neutrino Wave Turbines
    •FTL : Wormhole Generator
    Reactor : Biplex Contained Singularity
    Weapons :
    • Missle-type : 20 Forward Locked Graviton Implosion Torpedo tubes (GIT), 120 Multiple Warhead Fusion Rockets, on ball mountings (6 per mounting, MWFR), 15 Anti-fighter Magnetic Fusion Missles. (MFM)
    • Energy-type : 12 Luminal Laser Arrays
    Armour : Hived Diamond/Adamantium plating, with a frictionless coating and melded passive energy abosorbtion.
    Shields : Pulse Refractive Shielding
    Misc's : Drone and Salvage Bays, Cloaking Field,
    Mass Communication Relays.
    Size : 5 km long, 2.5 Km tall, 4km wide.
    Description :
    http://starbrightillustrations.com/b...main-view1.jpg - in silver.

Erinyes Corvette : x 60
    Spoiler
    Show

Engines : -
    • Sublight : Retropulse Ion Engines
    • FTL : Wormhole Delver
    Reactor : Diametric Magnetic-Cycler
    Weapons : -
    • Missle-type : 3 Forward Locked GITs, 10 Ringmounted Miniprowler Cruise Missles
    • Energy-type : 4 Diluminal Lasers
    Armour : Photonic Absorbative/Diamond Weave with ablative and energy dispersion.
    Shields : - Nil, nothing, nadda -
    Misc's : Subatomic Meld Docking Clamps, Holographic Projectors, Cloaking Field
    Size : 500 meters long, 400 meters wide, 100 meters tall
    Description :
    http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com...starship-b.jpg - in black.

Nessecary Explainations :
    Spoiler
    Show

GITs : Torpedos that fire with a barebones tracking system, most of it's length taken up by propulsion and the explosive itself, which upon mixing causes superdense Implosions, dragging nearby material together, then bursting back outwards in a fragmentation.

MWFR : They're advanced nuclear missles, that split into six seperate warheads along the flight path. "Ball" mounts have a complete coverage of one side, unable to rotate backward through the ship itself.

MRM : Missles that can make extremely tight corners, and track through target signal and magnetic seeking...

Lasers : Unlike Phasers, blasters, pulsar beams, or any number of other SciFi energy weapons, Lasers follow the rules they were supposed to, nigh undetectable being a photon's width large, and invisible in space where there's no atmosphere for light dissolution. Pew pew.

MPCM : Miniprowlers are specially designed missles that can be fired while cloaked, and carry highly explosive charges, and drilltips. Armed to explode just after impact, giving time for the drillhead to create a rivethole for the directed blast.

Ringmount A ring mount is a cylinder hooked to the side of the ship, with a missle tube pointing out of each side. These normally contain 4 shots at a time, and rotate in order to assure maximum accuracy, and minimum flight time.

Armour : Both types of armour are made to deflect radar, sensors, light, and almost everything but visual contact. ...but how the heck are you going to spot a tiny ship that's 100,000 Km away firing missles at you?

Holoprojectors : Normally used to simulate an undisrupted starfield in case of close-fire missions, or for those paticularly invasive sensors.

Clamps : These specially designed melding clamps can merge with just about anything solid. Combat use? ...Just about nil. Unless you let them lock onto your windshield and try to fly away with it, or something.

Drones/Salvage Bays : Just for collecting loose metal. Thier small and float around, unarmed. Once again : Unless you let something spend twenty minutes trying to 'salvage' your windshield with a laser cutter.
    Last edited by EleventhHour; 2010-01-18 at 05:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Awright, here's

BR's Pick #1

Spoiler
    Show

Wraith Hiveship

With a full compiment of fighters:

Wraith Darts
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2010-01-18 at 07:21 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Approval for that was given, by the way, before someone goes after BR. <.<

Anyway, mah next pick is:

A single Borg Tactical Sphere
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcomet View Post
    That's a bit... low-powered for a pick. Tuned up or no, an armed light freighter does not equal a Super Star Destroyer. Just saying.
    I know that. That's what my next pick is for: about 100 A-Wings.

You know, the rebel triangle ships, the fast ones with low shields, the kind that took out the Executor in the movies.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The Alliance (I know it's cliche, but it works)

3 Dreadnought Class Fenrir Pattern Heavy Cruisers. (The Furies, The Fates, and The Nameless)
    Spoiler
    Show

Length: 9.5km.
    Width: 2km
    Height: 1km
    Hull:10-15 foot thick superconductor/steel alloy, 30 foot thick at the prow.
    Shields: Light deflective force shielding.
    Drive: Triple Gravity Drive. (Projects a triad of small black holes in front of the ship to make it "fall" forward at incredible speeds), and Maneuvering thrusters.
    FTL: None
    Weapons:
    • 2 railguns(one on top, one on the bottom) stretching the full length of the ship, able to fire a 5m diameter block between .5c and .9c(where c = speed of light). Effective: Short to Long Range

• 20 Shredder Cannons: Shoots clouds of metal ball bearings and monowire filaments. Effective: Short to Medium-short range

• 20 6 inch bore Plasma Cannon: Effective: Short range

• Ramming Prow: Effective: Close Combat Only

Misc:
    • Boarding Parties: Armed with Shotguns, Heavy Anti-Personnel Plasma cannon, and flamethrowers as well as assorted melee weapons.

• Combat Boarding Shuttles

(Remainder of my picks will come soon, when I have time)
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2010-01-19 at 11:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I believe it's my turn again...

BR's Pick #2

Talyn

Video #1 (Sonic Ascendency Cannon)
    Video #2 (Starburst)
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2010-01-19 at 12:01 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    The Alliance (I know it's cliche, but it works)

3 Dreadnought Class Fenrir Pattern Heavy Cruisers. (The Furies, The Fates, and The Nameless)
    Spoiler
    Show

Drive: Triple Gravity Drive. (Projects a triad of small black holes in front of the ship to make it "fall" forward at incredible speeds), and Maneuvering thrusters.
    Weapons:
    • 2 railguns(one on top, one on the bottom) stretching the full length of the ship, able to fire a 5m diameter block between .5c and .9c(where c = speed of light). Effective: Short to Long Range

• 20 Shredder Cannons: Shoots clouds of metal ball bearings and monowire filaments. Effective: Short to Medium-short range

Misc:
    • Boarding Parties: Armed with Shotguns, Heavy Anti-Personnel Plasma cannon, and flamethrowers as well as assorted melee weapons.

(Remainder of my picks will come soon, when I have time)
    4 Titan Class Promethium Pattern Light Cruisers (Maelstrus, Cerberus, Hades, Inferno)
    Spoiler
    Show

Length: 4km
    Width:.5km
    Height:.5km
    Hull: 5 feet thick, 20 feet on prow. Superconductor/Steel alloy
    Shields: Light strength deflective force shielding
    Drive: Triple Gravity Drive, Maneuvering Jets
    Weapons:
    • 1 3km long railgun (on top)

• 2 sets of 100 short range ballistic missiles, set in racks of 20 on each side. Range: Short, Accuracy: fair

• 4 shredder cannons

• 4 plasma cannons

• Ramming Prow

Misc:
    • Boarding Parties

If there are any questions or complaints, I'll gladly help sort them out.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Let's see... since I don't have anything for now, I'm just going to grab this up, since it's not going to surprise anyone:

The fighter complement of the Executor, in the form of TIE Interceptors and TIE Bombers
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

14. - Top - End - #14

Pick #3 for me.

Um, would 3 MC80 Liberty type Star Cruisers be allowed?

(They're the big rebell alliance ships seen at the Battle of Erdor.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Fine by me. I don't think each one is actually as powerful as 1/3 an Executor, even without fighters, but we're not here to debate power. Yay scaling!
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BR's Pick #3

4 Wraith Cruisers
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2010-01-21 at 09:46 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Right. I apologize for the wait. Beyond the things I already took I had no particular plans. But now I have it.

Sovereign
    Spoiler
    Show

You may run now. HahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahAHAHAHA*cough*

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. In all honesty I have no idea what I'm going to do with that and the Borg. Whatever it is it can't be good for any of you, though. >.>
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2010-01-24 at 06:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

18. - Top - End - #18

Right. I apologize for the wait. Beyond the things I already took I had no particular plans. But now I have it.

Sovereign
    Spoiler
    Show

You may run now. HahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahAHAHAHA*cough*

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. In all honesty I have no idea what I'm going to do with that and the Borg. Whatever it is it can't be good for any of you, though. >.>
    Okay, that does it. DC, the borg and sovereign? That's way too overpowered. How about you pick one of those two, and keep it, then pick something else.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Picks, in my mind at least, should not be measured by what someone already has. Unless it's something like picking each piece of the Triforce or something, in other words an instant-win button-but this is hardly an instant win button.

Keep a few things in mind:

I deliberately picked the Borg Sphere instead of a Borg Cube to keep zomgpower down.

Sovereign cannot simply mind control everyone. You have to be in the bloody thing, and I know you all aren't so stupid as to board the thing (not to imply that you're stupid, but I was lacking a better phrase).

My power is highly concentrated thus far in Sovereign, Executor, and the Sphere.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

*scratches off the idea to board Sovereign* >.>

I'm working on my last ship, but I have no objections to letting DC have both. He has few ships for now, nothing I really can't take care of.

21. - Top - End - #21

Picks, in my mind at least, should not be measured by what someone already has. Unless it's something like picking each piece of the Triforce or something, in other words an instant-win button-but this is hardly an instant win button.

I deliberately picked the Borg Sphere instead of a Borg Cube to keep zomgpower down.

Sovereign cannot simply mind control everyone. You have to be in the bloody thing, and I know you all aren't so stupid as to board the thing (not to imply that you're stupid, but I was lacking a better phrase).

My power is highly concentrated thus far in Sovereign, Executor, and the Sphere.
    Not to mention that the two forms of mind control (Soverign & Borg) aren't compatible at all. And the Soveriegn is hilariously ungunned for a ship of it's size.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

22. - Top - End - #22

Alright then. So, for my fourth pick, I'll take about 75 X-Wings (No, not the rouges, normal ones.)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I did have my fourth pick ready.

Then I found...something.

Something awesome...

BR's Pick #4

Space Battleship Yamato

With its Cosmo Zero fighters.
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2010-01-25 at 06:16 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

The first half of my last pick (a small squadron of fighters to come later)

1 Poseidon Class Carrier (The Kraken)

Spoiler
    Show

Length: 6km
    Width:1km
    Height:1km
    Hull: 15 feet thick superconductor/steel alloy hull, reinforced superstructure
    Shields: None
    Drives: Triple Gravity Drive, Maneuvering Jets
    Weapons:
    • 8 10-inch bore repeater particle cannons (fires a large explosive shell at high velocities) Range: Short to Medium Special: High rate of fire

• 16 6-inch bore Plasma Cannon Range: Short

Misc:
    • Fighter bays

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

I'll wrap this up with something... maybe a bit less terrifying.

Twenty Imperial Missile Boats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Psst. Phantom. Are you there?

If Phantom doesn't post soon I'mma say BR can take his last pick.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll sign up as a replacement for anyone, if that's ok?

Everything is more awesome in space, after all.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Last edited by The Bushranger; 2010-02-01 at 07:54 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29

I'm still here, its just my server crashed late thursday, and I couldn't get here until today.

Now for my last pick, and my most powerful, the Viscount-class Star Defender.

Its a little smaller than the Executor, and its about equal in power.
    Last edited by ThePhantom; 2010-02-01 at 10:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The Alliance

Spoiler
    Show

Weapons:

Misc:

4 Titan Class Promethium Pattern Light Cruisers (Maelstrus, Cerberus, Hades, Inferno)
    Spoiler
    Show

Length: 4km
    Width:.5km
    Height:.5km
    Hull: 5 feet thick, 20 feet on prow. Superconductor/Steel alloy
    Shields: Light strength deflective force shielding
    Drive: Triple Gravity Drive, Maneuvering Jets
    Weapons:
    • 1 3km long railgun (on top)

• 2 sets of 100 short range ballistic missiles, set in racks of 20 on each side. Range: Short, Accuracy: fair

• 4 shredder cannons

• 4 plasma cannons

• Ramming Prow

Misc:
    • Boarding Parties

1 Poseidon Class Carrier (The Kraken)

Spoiler
    Show

Length: 6km
    Width:1km
    Height:1km
    Hull: 15 feet thick superconductor/steel alloy hull, reinforced superstructure
    Shields: None
    Drives: Triple Gravity Drive, Maneuvering Jets
    Weapons:
    • 8 10-inch bore repeater particle cannons (fires a large explosive shell at high velocities) Range: Short to Medium Special: High rate of fire

• 16 6-inch bore Plasma Cannon Range: Short

Misc:
    • Fighter bays

100 Legion Class Fighters (4 Squadrons of 25, Hick's Hellcats, Waykle's Wolves, Joan's JettJets and Alice's Adders)

Spoiler
    Show

Length: 10meters
    Width:5m at the wings
    Height: 3m
    Hull: .5 meter thick steel/superconductor steel alloy
    Shields: Medium Strength Ablative Force Shielding
    Drive: Single Grav Drive (One black hole for increased mobility), maneuvering thrusters
    Weapons:
    • 2 dual 3 inch bore rapid fire rotary particle cannons(one on each wing)

• 1 2 inch bore plasma cannon turret

[list]Veteran pilots]

I believe that is my full list The Kraken has easily enough room for 5-6 times the amount, but figured that many would be too much. Though, considering some of the picks...>.>

Anyways, I like my fleet. Good luck killing it.