New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread

Have posted MOST of one of my longest running projects ever (years in the making): Barnstormer Dragons. They could use a less anachonistic name, and of course CRs. Will be adding physical description (get ready for a few twists!) and clarifying some stuff about the breath-weapon later, but for now I am just posting them to break my inertia and to start getting feedback.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Have posted MOST of one of my longest running projects ever (years in the making): Barnstormer Dragons. They could use a less anachonistic name, and of course CRs. Will be adding physical description (get ready for a few twists!) and clarifying some stuff about the breath-weapon later, but for now I am just posting them to break my inertia and to start getting feedback.
    Maybe they could just be called smoke dragons or cloud dragons?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Cloud Dragon is already taken, and Smoke Dragon is a bit to close to Smoke Drake...
    "Wing Dragons" (for the shape-changing wings that adapt to the manuvar they are currently performing)?

"Air Lord Dragons"?

"Flight Dragons"?

"Stealth Dragons"? (not technically anachronistic, but the anachronistic interpritation would be perfectly in keeping with their natures).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

"Stunt Dragons"? "Gust Dragons"?

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Posted my unusual hunter, the Wingbane Glider, again on the last day before the deadline.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2008-01-19 at 08:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I have made several updates to my entry, including changing the name to "Wing Dragons". Will probably be adding some more fluff, and further clarifying the crunch tommorrow... BTW, can I add a picture even after the deadline is past? I have Oren Otter doing a picture of one of them (it is a long-standing commision he is just getting around to), but I don't think he will be done with it for another week or so maybe.
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #607
    Dwarf in the Playground

Had to be done. Couldn't not do it. The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Although I have never seen the work from which that derives I have heard tell of this creature and can find no fault in your entertaining the urge. (The execution I have not looked at).
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #609
    Troll in the Playground

All hail the almighty FSM!
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

10. - Top - End - #610
    Banned

Heyas, just to let you all know, I'm extending the submission date until midnight tomorrow (not this one, but the next), EST because of all the downtime.

Also gives me time to go over the entries.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you very much. You had me worried. Also, what about my question about adding an illustration late?
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

I've just submitted my first entry in one of these monster competitions, the Silver Lionling. It mostly started out as a bad pun on my part, but I think it's pretty decent (especially since it's my first real homebrew "monster," rather than race or class or template).

And it's a good thing you extended the deadline, since I didn't even see the contest until yesterday and didn't get around writing this up until just now...
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

13. - Top - End - #613
    Banned

BTW, can I add a picture even after the deadline is past? I have Oren Otter doing a picture of one of them (it is a long-standing commision he is just getting around to), but I don't think he will be done with it for another week or so maybe.
    Sure, pictures and correction of numbers and the like that I message folks with can be done even after the deadline.

Just a matter of honor however that you don't do anything else though.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Silver Lionling:
    Nice. Is their anything explicitly silver about them? If so I missed it... maybe say that the glow looks silvery or the wing feathers are grey, which combined with the glow makes them silver? Also you have a typo: "...using to its Blind-Fight feat if..."

As for mine I have TRIED to simplify some of the abilities at VTs suggestion, including spoilizing lists, and implimenting his rewrites (mostly). I also added "Wingclaws" which have been in my head since the early concepts of these creatures. Their major effect is to increase the number of items the Barnstormer can carry on "Bombing runs".
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-01-22 at 01:55 AM.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

Silver Lionling:
    Nice. Is their anything explicitly silver about them? If so I missed it... maybe say that the glow looks silvery or the wing feathers are grey, which combined with the glow makes them silver? Also you have a typo: "...using to its Blind-Fight feat if..."
    I thought I had mentioned that their fur is silvery, but apparently not. Added it in. Also, thanks a bunch for pointing out the typo - that's sort of a weird one, and I'm not sure how I missed it...
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

You are welcome. The past few month I have felt a bit guilty because I haven't been providing as much feedback as I would like to see from others on my own work (ideally). Since you were coming in at the last minute with little time to revise, you were especially worthy of my help.

PS: It was about 11:30 PM Eastern when I finally got off my duff and posted a Lore section.

EDIT: " OF THE RISING SUN " STARTS ABOUT HERE.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-06-22 at 01:21 PM.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

This looks like an awesome contest, I ran an orient campaign a while back, unfortunately I posted most of my homebrew stuff, but I still have a few things. However, I need a little clarification. What are you defining as "Oriental"? There are many definitions from only China and Japan to everything from India east. That would be very helpful, thanks.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

My entry's up. I ran out of ideas so I just thought of the most ridiculous thing that came to mind (a swarm of maneating rice) and went with it.

Edit: I've added a picture.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2008-02-01 at 08:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    I need a little clarification. What are you defining as "Oriental"? There are many definitions from only China and Japan to everything from India east. That would be very helpful, thanks.
    I'm going to say anything of eastern asia, including India.

My entry's up. I ran out of ideas so I just thought of the most ridiculous thing that came to mind (a swarm of maneating rice) and went with it.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-02-01 at 08:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    I'm going to say anything of eastern asia, including India.
    Sweat! Thanks a lot, I like going away from the norm and I'd have to pull up some really obscure Chinese stuff otherwise and probably get into an argument of mythology (for the record, the Japanese stole most of their mythology from China).

Too bad I already posted by Naga-Anu and Garuda on this board, I'll get something else though...

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Do they move like inchworms, snakes, slugs, or do they just glide along surfaces?
    Raisaku ability: Going from "Indistiguishable" to DC 10 is an very big jump mechanically. You might want to give a set of ranges for this, or failing that, just a very specific range, period (5 feet?) since you didn't specify exactly and it is likely to be important.

Question for anyone who knows:
    Historically and/or modernly, have/are kittens considered as one of the epitomes of "cute" in Oriental culture as they are in America?

Question for Vorpal Tribble:
    My entry has various (3 specifically) stages of life with some fairly strong mechanical differences between them. The closest example I know of would be Neogi. That isn't likely to conflict with the "one entry per participant rule" is it?
    Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #622
    Dwarf in the Playground

Historically and/or modernly, have/are kittens considered as one of the epitomes of "cute" in Oriental culture as they are in America?
    Two words: Hello Kitty.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XenoGeno View Post
    Two words: Hello Kitty.
    One word: Catgirls

Actually, I think it is more modern. The main reason is "cute" is more of a modern, feminist value. However, there are lots of examples of extremely attractive and highly erotic. The world was not censored as America makes it out to be. The kitsune are the best examples of this, in some versions they ferquently take the form of perfectly beautiful women and take subsistence from sexual pleasure and that is only one of many examples. The classic Oriental physical qualities of beauty are either purity (China, Japan, etc.) or an erotic and orgasmic capacity as seen in harems (Persia/India). Therefore, "cute" is upstaged by more succubi-like creatures which are very universal.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting point, but in this case I am going to go ahead and go with "cute" and maybe "pure" instead of "sexy"... seeing as how I am doing "Kitten-Folk" who are pre-pubescent for 75% of their lives or more... well... unless I come up with a completely different idea to enter...
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting point, but in this case I am going to go ahead and go with "cute" and maybe "pure" instead of "sexy"... seeing as how I am doing "Kitten-Folk" who are pre-pubescent for 75% of their lives or more... well... unless I come up with a completely different idea to enter...
    Well, it is a game, so go ahead and throw the history books out and have fun

My entry is heavily researched and drawn from Hindu mythology. This has to be one of my favorite undead of all time, so check out the Vetala! I have a few links in their to a short description and the book that is about these extremely intelligent and cunning creatures. I encourage you to read them. Of course, most of the abilities are exactly drawn from the text, but it works out all the same.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Banned

My entry is heavily researched and drawn from Hindu mythology. This has to be one of my favorite undead of all time, so check out the Vetala!
    Heyas, though I hate to do say it, you'll have to use another creature. I specifically state it needs to be an original creature. A creature not only from mythology, but directly using its abilities can't qualify as original.

I mean, you could do something like a Terra Cotta warrior, or however you pronounce it, as you'd be making it all up from a concept that doesn't go into specifics, but just putting stats to an already long-developed creature won't work.

Also, even though it comes from an indian theme, the requirement is still that all entries have to have a haiku to be complete.

Question for Vorpal Tribble:
    My entry has various (3 specifically) stages of life with some fairly strong mechanical differences between them. The closest example I know of would be Neogi. That isn't likely to conflict with the "one entry per participant rule" is it?
    As long as they are all the same species, feel free.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    Well, it is a game, so go ahead and throw the history books out and have fun
    Just trying to match the theme as closely as possible... historical rather than modern being worth considering given the psuedo-medieval nature of D&D.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-02-01 at 03:09 PM.
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Heyas, though I hate to do say it, you'll have to use another creature. I specifically state it needs to be an original creature. A creature not only from mythology, but directly using its abilities can't qualify as original.

I mean, you could do something like a Terra Cotta warrior, or however you pronounce it, as you'd be making it all up from a concept that doesn't go into specifics, but just putting stats to an already long-developed creature won't work.

Also, even though it comes from an indian theme, the requirement is still that all entries have to have a haiku to be complete.
    Oh man The rules seemed like as long as it wasn't already stated out before it was ok. But then wouldn't terracotta warriors break that rule as well? I mean all that is described about their abilities is: "They can drive people mad, kill children and cause miscarriages but they also guard their villages." The book is philosophical about a Vetala posing questions to a prince as the prince tries to capture it. The personality is well developed, but that's about it. As for the haiku thing, I can go ahead and whip something up.

However, if you insist, I'll get something more abstract.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well cool. Thanks to everyone who voted for the Storm Serpent.

XenoGeno and I were thinking about working together on one project in the new contest. Is this allowed?

30. - Top - End - #630
    Bugbear in the Playground

A shame I had already used up my Issun Bōshi idea for the tiny or fine creatures competitions. Would have been a shoe-in.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.