New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Spell] Mmmm, Tastes Like... Rainbows!

Prismatic Baked Goods
    Evocation
    Level: Sorc/Wizard 3
    Components: V, S.
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: One created baked good/five caster levels
    Duration: Instantaneous; 1 round/caster level
    Saving Throw: No
    Spell Resistance: No

A summoned cake, cupcake, cookie or other baked good appears, rainbow and bright, shining with frosting or glaze. It seems to sparkle with some hidden energy. It is filled with a creamy, colored filling.

A baked good appears within range. If eaten, the target has an effect happen to them randomly, rolling a d8, as rolled on the following table:

{table=head]Result|Color|Effect

|
    Red
    |Fire Resistance 20

|
    Orange
    |Acid Resistance 20

|
    Yellow
    |Electricity Resistance 20

|
    Green
    |Poison Immunity

|
    Blue
    |Cold Resistance 20

|
    Indigo
    |Heals 20 Hit Points

|
    Violet
    |Dimension Door (eater chooses destination)

|
    Two Colors
    |Roll Twice; Ignore any 8 Results[/table]

A character may not eat a Prismatic Baked Good more than once per encounter, or more than once every hour. If they attempt to do so, they gain no benefit, and the spell is wasted. Eating a Prismatic Baked Good is a move action. The eater uses the caster's caster level for any spell effects.

Prismatic Baked Goods provide no nutritional value. A Prismatic Baked Good lasts for one day per caster level before going stale and giving no benefit if left out in the open, and if sealed and properly stored, lasts one week per caster level before going stale.

The Red, Orange, Yellow, Green and Blue results all have a duration of one round per caster level, and the other durations are instantaneous.

The Baked Goods are filled with a creamy filling corresponding to the color of the effect it produces. If the Baked Goods are cut or broken open in any way other than by consuming it, the creamy filling turns white, and the Baked Good provides no effect for its consumption.

Prismatic Shot Glass

Evocation
    Level: Sorc/Wizard 4
    Casting Time: 1 Standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: One Shot Glass
    Duration: 24 hours
    Saving Throw: See text;
    Spell Resistance: No

A small, rainbow colored shot glass appears within range, full of a colorless alcohol/alcoholic beverage.

A Prismatic Shot Glass appears within range, and may be drunk as a move action. The drinker rolls a d8, and checks the following table for the results.

|
    Red
    |Fire Breath

|
    Orange
    |Acid Spit

|
    Yellow
    |Electricity Beam

|
    Green
    |Poison Spit

|
    Blue
    |Cold Breath

|
    Indigo
    |Heals 30 Hit Points

|
    Violet
    |Dimension Door

|
    Two Colors

The effect is released as soon as the result is shown, but the drinker is given enough time to choose the direction or target of the effect, except in the case of the Indigo and Violet. Any save in the effect is based upon the caster's statistics, and not the consumer's.

Fire Breath: 30 foot cone of fire, dealing 1d6 fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to all enemies in the area, reflex save for half damage.

Acid Spit: Ranged touch attack against a single target, deals 1d6 acid damage per caster level (maximum 10d6).

Electricity Beam: A 60 foot line of electricity. Deals 1d6 electricity damage per caster level (maximum 10d6), reflex save for half damage.

Poison Spit: Ranged touch attack against a single opponent, opponent must make a fortitude save or take 1d6 constitution damage, and another fortitude save one minute later for 1d6 constitution damage.

Cold Breath: 30 foot cone of freezing winds, dealing 1d6 cold damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to all enemies in the area, reflex save for half damage.

Dimension Door: As the spell, location chosen by the DM.

The Prismatic Shot Glass may be refilled with liquid and drunk, but a creature may only drink from the Prismatic Shot Glass once per day. Any creature that tries to drink twice gains no benefit. Any liquid that fills the glass will do. Only the original caster of the spell may refill the shot glass in this way, and if anyone else tries to it remains the liquid that was put in the glass, and has no added effects.

Prismatic Baguette
    Evocation
    Level: Sorc/Wiz 6?
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. /caster level)
    Effect: One Prismatic Baguette
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: See text;
    Spell Resistance: No.

A baguette appears, colored each color of the rainbow for each one seventh section of the baguette. It is about 2 to 2.5 feet long.

A Prismatic Baguette appears within range. It can be consumed as a move action, and when consumed, the consumer rolls a d8, the result being on the following table:

|
    Red
    |Firestorm

|
    Orange
    |Acid Fog

|
    Yellow
    |Chain Lighting

|
    Green
    |Insect Plague

|
    Blue
    |Flesh-to-Stone

|
    Indigo
    |Eyebite

|
    Violet
    |Teleport

|
    Two Colors

The spell is as written, with the caster level being that of the caster of the Prismatic Baguette spell. Any save is based off of the caster’s statistics. Spells from this effect do not affect the consumer of the Baguette. The spell is cast immediately, giving just enough time for the consumer to target a creature, if the spell has a target, and centered on the caster if the spell has an area. If the spell is shapeable, then the consumer must be within the area of effect for the spell. The consumer is immune to the effects.

The Baguette has seven bites, each of a different color. After one (or two) bites have been used, they may not be used again. If they are rolled on the table, then the consumer must reroll. The Baguette lasts for one day per bite remaining, before going stale. If the Baguette has negative days remaining, then the Baguette instantly goes stale, and provides no benefit for any more consumptions.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-08-25 at 01:25 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Spell] Mmmm, Tastes Like... Rainbows!

Who gets to choose where the dimension door goes, the DM or the PC?
    Some characters of mine: http://lmaorpg.proboards.com/index.c...read=90&page=1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow, I've been using stuff like this in SMBG for ages now... never had it statted up though.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PanNarrans View Post
    Who gets to choose where the dimension door goes, the DM or the PC?
    PC. I will add that in.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

I am going to spend all my downtime slots on Prismatic Danishes. They're like free potions with a cooldown on using them!

Do the Prismatic Muffins have any nutritional value? Do they ever go stale?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    I am going to spend all my downtime slots on Prismatic Danishes. They're like free potions with a cooldown on using them!

Do the Prismatic Muffins have any nutritional value? Do they ever go stale?
    I was thinking that they would go stale eventually, but it would take longer since they are made out of *magic!*

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are you planning on having a higher level one that creates multiples or thinking more of having it create more that scale with one's level, such as one every 4, 5, or 6 CL?

Also, you should probably include some indication of shelf life or lack thereof and decide whether or not you want interactions with quintessence to be addressed here.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-01-30 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Um, how long do the effects last?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Also, you should probably include some indication of shelf life or lack thereof and decide whether or not you want interactions with quintessence to be addressed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Um, how long do the effects last?
    I actually ninja edited those problems out before/as your were posting. Go me!

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Are you planning on having a higher level one that creates multiples or thinking more of having it create more that scale with one's level, such as one every 4, 5, or 6 CL?
    Maybe the latter. Multiple spells, when they aren't really necessary, are really just a bad idea.

I will edit that in to the OP.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Daemon

Aw, the "only one at a time per caster" is disappointing. I really didn't think it was overpowered, just entertaining. It's not like there aren't other spells you can stock up during downtime. (Mainly I feel the 1/hour restriction was already a pretty good limiter on them.)

I just wanted to have a Bag of Holding full of prismatic crullers.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw, the "only one at a time per caster" is disappointing. I really didn't think it was overpowered, just entertaining. It's not like there aren't other spells you can stock up during downtime. (Mainly I feel the 1/hour restriction was already a pretty good limiter on them.)

I just wanted to have a Bag of Holding full of prismatic crullers.
    I changed it, so that that clause is gone. Now, the caster can have as many as he/she/it wants, but may still only eat one per hour.

Also, the Prismatic Shot Glass is up, balancing critiques would be nice.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Daemon

Oh, huh. I thought that the Prismatic Bagels actually let you see what color they were before you ate, but looking it over I'm not sure. I kind of like it better when you can see it, but oh well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Think of the fun at parties!

The only thing that seems a little unbalanced by the shot glass is that it effectively gives non casters the ability to cast a spell of the original caster's power. The scale is that of basically a 3rd level spell so not much trouble there.

It's balanced by the fact that the spell effect is random and that it can only be used once per day per person, but in that regards it is potentially stronger (albeit randomized) than a 3rd level spell. I'd say go for 4th level but either way it'd be a fun spell to use (and if people weren't being munchkins about it than 3rd level is probably fine).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, huh. I thought that the Prismatic Bagels actually let you see what color they were before you ate, but looking it over I'm not sure. I kind of like it better when you can see it, but oh well.
    The bagels would look vaguely like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

But the thing is, now matter how much you eat, the magic is in and of itself random. Like, you could eat a green section, and still get blue, because the color is nice, but it doesn't represent the actual magic that makes the bagel. The magic itself is what gives the bagel form, and is constantly whirling and spinning, changing course and diverging. It is like an electron; you can know where it is, or you can know how fast it is going; you can't know both. Actually, you can't know either of those, since such an in-depth detect magic spell doesn't exist yet. So, the magic itself is changing constantly, and you are taking a bite out of the magic. So, in effect, you can never know exactly what magic you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanzeign View Post
    Think of the fun at parties!

The only thing that seems a little unbalanced by the shot glass is that it effectively gives non casters the ability to cast a spell of the original caster's power. The scale is that of basically a 3rd level spell so not much trouble there.

It's balanced by the fact that the spell effect is random and that it can only be used once per day per person, but in that regards it is potentially stronger (albeit randomized) than a 3rd level spell. I'd say go for 4th level but either way it'd be a fun spell to use (and if people weren't being munchkins about it than 3rd level is probably fine).
    Hm. This is a good point. Maybe only the caster may refill it? Does that seem balanced?
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-30 at 05:41 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know an old group I was in would definitely pass it around and get 5 good uses out of it. If the caster had to refill it it would at least keep the wizard from casting it at the beginning of the day, handing it to the party, and going back to bed.

Either way I don't think you could overly abuse it due to its random nature. If the caster had to refill it it would essentially make it a one use per encounter item that you had to cast before the battle (since handing it around would be obnoxious combat-wise).

Can it be manifest in a willing character's hand? Backpack? Conveniently accessible by move action area? Thinking about the original cast. Making it before battle seems like the most practical use for a party if not.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure what levels would be appropriate, but I do think that the shot version should be higher level than the baked goods version. A specific kind of energy resistance will only rarely be useful, whereas energy damage is almost always useful. The randomness therefore hurts the baked goods more.
    Some characters of mine: http://lmaorpg.proboards.com/index.c...read=90&page=1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

17. - Top - End - #17

Daemon

My problem with that justification for the randomization is that it feels like it defeats the purpose of the Prismatic spells if the color and effect aren't actually related. The whole point of the Prismatics is that each color has its own effect; in this case, it feels more like "they're rainbow-colored, and also there's randomized magic" instead of the actual Prismatic spells.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I know an old group I was in would definitely pass it around and get 5 good uses out of it. If the caster had to refill it it would at least keep the wizard from casting it at the beginning of the day, handing it to the party, and going back to bed.

Either way I don't think you could overly abuse it due to its random nature. If the caster had to refill it it would essentially make it a one use per encounter item that you had to cast before the battle (since handing it around would be obnoxious combat-wise).

Can it be manifest in a willing character's hand? Backpack? Conveniently accessible by move action area? Thinking about the original cast. Making it before battle seems like the most practical use for a party if not.
    Yeah, I don't want it to be the wizard/sorcerer creating it and then handing it off to someone and never using it. It feels to impersonal for the wizard/sorcerer.

It can be created anywhere within range, which is 25+5/caster level. So, at minimum, it can be created 60 feet away, and at maximum 125 feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by PanNarrans View Post
    I'm not sure what levels would be appropriate, but I do think that the shot version should be higher level than the baked goods version. A specific kind of energy resistance will only rarely be useful, whereas energy damage is almost always useful. The randomness therefore hurts the baked goods more.
    I suppose this is a good point.

My problem with that justification for the randomization is that it feels like it defeats the purpose of the Prismatic spells if the color and effect aren't actually related. The whole point of the Prismatics is that each color has its own effect; in this case, it feels more like "they're rainbow-colored, and also there's randomized magic" instead of the actual Prismatic spells.
    Ah, no, that is not what I meant. I was responding to your saying that the "prismatic bagel's" color should be visible. I was saying that the prismatic bagel would be rainbow colored, and that the reason that the effects are random is because the magic itself is what makes the bagel, and the outside form is just a shell. I understand what you are saying, but from a balance perspective, it isn't a good way to make the spell. If one were to know the effect of the bagel before consumption, then they could simply recast the spell again until they get the desired color. If they have to eat it to know what it is, then they can't eat it again for one hour, or until the encounter is over. Also, it being the same color since creation doesn't make sense according to Prismatic Spray. Prismatic Spray creates a single color on casting, because that casting is pure, ephemeral magic. Hence why it is affected by SR. It isn't in flux anymore, it is already out of flux and being cast. The baked goods are in flux until consumed. Their magic is continually shifting between the colors, because the magic is still in a concrete form. As soon as the item is consumed, it is released from the concrete form, and converted into pure magic, going out of flux and becoming defined. That magic then goes into the consumer's body, and the consumer is benefited.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

The poison effect of Prismatic Shot Glass doesn't mention whether the save is as normal for a spell or if it involves the attributes of the person who drank it.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    The poison effect of Prismatic Shot Glass doesn't mention whether the save is as normal for a spell or if it involves the attributes of the person who drank it.
    Good point. I will mention that any saves that are from the effects of the Shot Glass are based on the caster, and not the consumer.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have to run off to rehearsal so I have to make this quick but most of the effects seem to be in line with 3rd spell levels or lower with the exception of cold and acid (can't remember poison off the top of my head). Acid and cold damage are much harder to come by at lower levels.

Again, this is off the top of my head so forgive me if I'm wrong but ray of frost is a cantrip and deals 1d3 and the next cold spell is level 5 and cone of cold (while stronger than your cone and with a larger range, that's a 4 player level difference in access to that kind of damage vs. this spell unless you're using orb spells and I don't remember what level they are, 4?). Acid Arrow is a 2nd level spell and deals 2d4 once per round on a successful hit for every 3 caster levels, so something like max 12d4 over 6 rounds at caster level 18. Those 2 energy types might want to be given a reduced damage from lightning and fire. Just a thought.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, this is off the top of my head so forgive me if I'm wrong but ray of frost is a cantrip and deals 1d3 and the next cold spell is level 5 and cone of cold (while stronger than your cone and with a larger range, that's a 4 player level difference in access to that kind of damage vs. this spell unless you're using orb spells and I don't remember what level they are, 4?). Acid Arrow is a 2nd level spell and deals 2d4 once per round on a successful hit for every 3 caster levels, so something like max 12d4 over 6 rounds at caster level 18. Those 2 energy types might want to be given a reduced damage from lightning and fire. Just a thought.
    Orbs are 4, lesser Orbs are 2. Acid arrow is also widely regarded as one of the worst spells available at second level, and the Lesser Orb of Acid is honestly better, and it provides an effect instead of just dealing damage, if I recall correctly. I might drop them down to a d4, but I honestly don't think it would do much.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Also, it being the same color since creation doesn't make sense according to Prismatic Spray. Prismatic Spray creates a single color on casting, because that casting is pure, ephemeral magic. Hence why it is affected by SR. It isn't in flux anymore, it is already out of flux and being cast.
    Prismatic Spray creates all seven colors in separate beams intertwined throughout its area. Which colors hit a given point in the area is random, but the effect is deterministically linked to which color of beam hits you.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your argument?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Prismatic Spray creates all seven colors in separate beams intertwined throughout its area. Which colors hit a given point in the area is random, but the effect is deterministically linked to which color of beam hits you.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your argument?
    But the color of the beam is random until the beam hits you. The color of the effect of the Drink/Food is random, until you eat it. The point is, you can't pick and choose what effect you get, which is what you sounded like you were suggesting.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Daemon

But the color of the beam is random until the beam hits you. The color of the effect of the Drink/Food is random, until you eat it. The point is, you can't pick and choose what effect you get, which is what you sounded like you were suggesting.
    As written by the spell's flavor text, the color of the beam is not random. Which beam hits you is random, but there are beams of fixed color spraying all over the area and which color has which effect is fixed.

With the way this spell works, you would get to choose which doughnut you eat (assuming you've presummoned a huge pile of them), but the alternate choice which you've taken is that the effect is actually unconnected to the physical colors, which seems to violate the essential premise of the Prismatic spells. Randomness is not inherent to the Prismatic effects. Prismatic Wall is incredibly deterministic: it always has the same effects, in the same order, you have to dispel them away in a specific order and you always know exactly which effects are left. The essential nature of the Prismatic spells is that you can look at what colors are there and know what effect is tied to what color.

The remaining concern is balance, which I do agree is a concern. One solution might be creating baked goods with seven bites, each a different color, and only allowing a caster to have one casting's worth of pastries active at once - that way you can't really stockpile a specific effect, but you are getting a decent supply of buffs which may or may not be applicable. Similarly, the shot glass could let you choose which color of liquor it produces each time it's activated, with that color disappearing from the glass. There are other ways to approach the problem, but I am extremely unhappy with a solution that disconnects the actual color from its effect.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

As written by the spell's flavor text, the color of the beam is not random. Which beam hits you is random, but there are beams of fixed color spraying all over the area and which color has which effect is fixed.
    The food and drink is rainbow colored. The beam has rainbows throughout it.

With the way this spell works, you would get to choose which doughnut you eat (assuming you've presummoned a huge pile of them), but the alternate choice which you've taken is that the effect is actually unconnected to the physical colors, which seems to violate the essential premise of the Prismatic spells. Randomness is not inherent to the Prismatic effects. Prismatic Wall is incredibly deterministic: it always has the same effects, in the same order, you have to dispel them away in a specific order and you always know exactly which effects are left. The essential nature of the Prismatic spells is that you can look at what colors are there and know what effect is tied to what color.
    Check out the description of the stuff created, man. It is a rainbow baked good. Each baked good is a rainbow. Each has every color on or inside of them. This spell was inspired by a conversation on the LGBTAitP thread about rainbow baked goods.

As for being thematic, the true problem becomes; the other Prismatic spells are all offensive. They are in a specific order because they provide no benefit to a character in and of themselves. The Prismatic Baked Goods/Shot Glass provide a character benefit. If one were to choose which benefits they received, several of the abilities are more powerful than others. This is not something that can really be avoided, while still trying to stay with the Prismatic flavor. Just as one does not get to choose which ability they are affected by with the offensive Prismatic spells, one does not get the choice with the beneficial ones. With the offensive, one can dispel the magical wall one layer by one layer, but they must do it in a specific order; they cannot simply dispel all but the first wall and take the 20 points of fire damage; they are forced to either do all of them, to get rid of the wall, or avoid it. That is part of what makes it powerful. For Prismatic Spray, the caster does not get to choose who gets each beam, nor who does not get hit. The caster has no control. That is what the main theme of each spell really is about. The loss of control, as well as rainbows. The randomness is just a part of that. Giving the characters control over the colors would be specifically breaking that theme.

The remaining concern is balance, which I do agree is a concern. One solution might be creating baked goods with seven bites, each a different color, and only allowing a caster to have one casting's worth of pastries active at once - that way you can't really stockpile a specific effect, but you are getting a decent supply of buffs which may or may not be applicable. Similarly, the shot glass could let you choose which color of liquor it produces each time it's activated, with that color disappearing from the glass. There are other ways to approach the problem, but I am extremely unhappy with a solution that disconnects the actual color from its effect.
    Again, that isn't getting past the most important part; the loss of control. Also, consider the effects of the choices; when are you really going to choose resistances over Healing or Teleportation? It is less of a problem with the Shot Glass, but Poison Spit is probably more powerful than the other abilities, depending on the monster. But you don't get to choose. That is what makes it an interesting spell to choose, and what makes it fun. You never know if you are going to get the Acid Resistance, or the Teleportation, or if you are going to get the Poison Spit or the healing; just as you never know if you are going to get the yellow beam or the red beam. You do know that you are going to get a certain spell in a certain place for Prismatic Wall, but that has more to do with the usage of Prismatic Wall as a defensive spell, or as a BFC spell, as compared to an offensive spell.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Daemon

Also, consider the effects of the choices; when are you really going to choose resistances over Healing or Teleportation?
    When that's all that's left on your biscotti. For my suggestion of the seven-bites version, I was actually specifically thinking of the 1E/2E spell Rainbow, which gave you an actual bow with seven shots, each with a different effect, which you could fire off in any order. Some effects were better than others, but if you had already shot your purple and indigo arrows you would be shooting red and yellow because that's what you had left.

Alternately, let them see what they get in advance but have the pastries go stale faster, so that if they want a full pick-and-choose it'll require some serious churning through slots. Personally, I don't think it's overpowerful even if you can stockpile to some extent and pick what you want, because of the cooldown on eating them.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

For what it's worth, I believe sticking with the random effect is better in keeping with the existing prismatic spells.

Just the two cp of a passing observer.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

When that's all that's left on your biscotti. For my suggestion of the seven-bites version, I was actually specifically thinking of the 1E/2E spell Rainbow, which gave you an actual bow with seven shots, each with a different effect, which you could fire off in any order. Some effects were better than others, but if you had already shot your purple and indigo arrows you would be shooting red and yellow because that's what you had left.
    Interesting. However, the differences in power for individual effects from these spells are large enough that it isn't really comparable. I mean, I like what is going on here right now. The character takes a bite from a Prismatic Pastry. He rolls a d8.

He gets an 8, a 6, and a 1. (I just rolled on a free online dice roller).

He consults the table. He gets 20 points of healing, and fire resistance 20, if eating the food. He gains a fire breath, and 20 points of healing if drinking from the Glass.

I am going to document my results from here on out:
    Spoiler
    Show

8, 2, 5
    8, 1, 3
    8, 5, 2

So, roughly 1/3 of the time, he gets a result that will always be useful for the encounter, and he also gains abilities the rest of the time that are situationally useful. This is less of a problem for the Shot Glass, which has abilities that are almost always useful. But those are numbers that I was hoping for. In fact, they are (sort of understandably) higher than I was hoping for. I was expecting something more like 1/4 of the results being always useful, and the rest being occasionally useful. However, even those situationally useful abilities can be useful when specifically being played to. For instance, imagine that the character ate a Prismatic Bearpaw, and rolled a 2. He then casts an AoE acid ability centered on himself, that would otherwise deal damage to him. Now the damage is at worse reduced, at best completely negated. Using random effects well is all about learning to play the chances up, and then planning accordingly. Because the ability is per encounter, the caster can essentially do this every encounter, dealing with most problems that come up for blasters accordingly. Because it works for most allies, the caster can have them do this as well. The random element is almost essential in the strategy of playing with the spell; it is what makes it exciting.

Alternately, let them see what they get in advance but have the pastries go stale faster, so that if they want a full pick-and-choose it'll require some serious churning through slots. Personally, I don't think it's overpowerful even if you can stockpile to some extent and pick what you want, because of the cooldown on eating them.
    Would the cooldown on eating them cover eating one color, or eating the pastries/drinks in general? Even still, that is giving players the choice that isn't available in the original Prismatic Spray/Wall/Sphere spells.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-30 at 08:53 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Daemon

..hm, actually an interesting in-between option that comes to mind: you summon a seven-flavored pastry, and each bite takes out one of the colors at random (or two, if you roll that). The pastry is not fully consumed at this point, and you can put it back in your pocket to take another bite anytime after the hour cooldown has passed; any colors that have already been bitten out are rerolled on subsequent bites. For some reason, that bothers me less, because all seven colors are still there. In theory, you could hang on to a pastry that only had the grape slice left to get some control, but it wouldn't really be practical. You'd probably want to put on some other limiter to how many you can have at once (either staleness or number created by a single caster at a time) just to avoid ludicrous bookkeeping, though.