5||||||||||||
    6|
    7|
    8||||||||||||
    9|||C|C|||||C|C||
    10|||C|C|||||C|C||
    11|
    12|||||||||||[/table]

That good for you? I know that you have massive amounts of minions...

We have declared no buffs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Default Re: New Olo vs Yahzi Test of Spite!

That works for me, but only if they are at least 15 ft. squares... some of my minions are 15 ft by 15 ft. My character sheet is on record with Tidesinger, so if you just send him a copy of your char sheet, we can always refer to it for reference. However, I'm more interested in having fun than winning, and I know you are too. So... lets have at it!

In the interests of demonstrating my complete and total dominance, I will cede initiative to you. Below is a description of what you see: take your first round action and tell me what I see.

At the south end of the room you see a line of huge figures (30 ft tall), dressed in flowing black robes. Even their faces are concealed by black masks. There are 4 of them; one at E10, F10, G10, and H10. All four are armed with massive bows and greatswords.

Behind and to the side of the line of giants are ordinary human-sized figures, also completely dressed in black. They wield halberds and crossbows. There are two in each of the following squares: D11, D12, I11, and I12.

At G12 is a black palaquin of ordinary human dimensions (10 x 10 ft). It is a carriage without wheels, with long poles that allow the minions to carry it. The windows of the palaquin are shuttered with black drapes.
    Last edited by Yahzi; 2009-06-27 at 09:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My character is 10 by 10

Gatlin stands about a foot shy of 9 feet, towering over most everyone he meets. His fullplate armor, horns, and black fur give him a intimidating visage, not to mention the shining hammer that he causually wields.

You are...conceding...initiative? Really? Allright then!

Gatlin runs up and charge-pounces on the tall figures in F10, G10, and H10.

He lets out a loud roar and smacks at each of them with his massive hammer.

G10 Attack (1d20+22)[23]
    Crit Con (1d20+22)[38]
    F10 Attack (1d20+17)[20]
    Crit Con (1d20+17)[23]
    H10 Attack (1d20+12)[14]
    Crit Con (1d20+12)[18]

More coming up after learning the results

EDIT: Ouch, dice gods not on my side today.
    Last edited by Olo Demonsbane; 2009-06-27 at 10:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Assuming none of those hit (1, 2, and 3 )...If they do I will dial back this turn.

Gatlin, drawing on an inner reserve of agility, acts again before they can even blink. Martial Lore DC 13
    Spoiler
    Show
    White Raven Tactics

He jumps backwards before roaring into attack again, targeting the same foes as before:

G10 Attack (1d20+22)[42]
    Crit Con (1d20+22)[42]
    Damage
    Spoiler
    Show
    (5d8+62)[91]
    Knockback Bullrush (1d20+71)[73]

F10 Attack (1d20+17)[29]
    Crit Con (1d20+17)[37]
    Damage
    Spoiler
    Show
    (5d8+62)[83]
    Knockback Bullrush (1d20+71)[84]

H10 Attack (1d20+12)[23]
    Crit Con (1d20+12)[22]
    Damage
    Spoiler
    Show
    (5d8+62)[84]
    Knockback Bullrush (1d20+71)[85]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh, and my turn is NOT done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo Demonsbane View Post
    G10 Attack *natural 20*
    Crit Con *natural 20*
    Um...holy *^&%?

This is what you need a DM for

How does your group play with natural 20s on the conformation? Ive heard of multiplying the crit ranges together, My group uses Instant death if you succeed on another conformation, like in the DMG....

Additional Conformation if nesecarry (sp)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+22)[39]

EDIT: Or we could just let it be a normal critical. Your choice, probably will not matter
    Last edited by Olo Demonsbane; 2009-06-27 at 10:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow... lotta action! I see you were as discomfited with the tiny maps as I was, since you're not even human.

Ok, some facts:

The giants (who have 15 ft reach) are armor class 21. Thus, only your first hit succeeded. We need a damage roll for that.

I don't understand why you're rolling crit confirms for every attack - do you have a critical range of %100? If so... wow! For a natural 20 on the confirmation, let's just do the simple "you get to confirm again for triple damage."

However, as the creatures you are attacking are undead (skeletons), criticals don't actually matter. At least you brought a hammer, so that will bypass their DR.

I'm not sure how you can bullrush 3 different foes at once? Also, why did you put the damage in for those rolls, but not for the first set?

Assuming your still-unrolled damage (from your first set of attacks) is about the same as your other damage rolls, none of the giant skeletons will fall in this round. (Good thing too since it's the first round!)

Rolls:
    You should make a Spot check of: (d20+25)[33] at the end of your round.

I make a knowledge roll of (d20-1)[3] to guess what kind of creature you are. Not sure what the DC is - are you rare (20), unusual (15), or just a common (albeit furry) hill-giant (10)?

Questions:
    Doesn't your charge through the giant's 15 ft reach give them an attack of opportunity? Does your second charge?

Should I be making a save against those bullrushes?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A couple of clarifications:

If you really do 80+ per hit, then the skeletons can only take 2 hits - 3 will drop them. I was thinking the bullrush damage was just part of the hit. Have you adjusted the damage for the lack of criticals?

Instead of a Knowledge check, I should have made a Bardic Knowledge check: d20+12 to determine what kind of creature you are. Using the lousy roll from above, that's a result of 14 - so I know Common facts about your race.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yahzi View Post
    The giants (who have 15 ft reach) are armor class 21. Thus, only your first hit succeeded. We need a damage roll for that.
    It was a natural 1. Auto miss.

I don't understand why you're rolling crit confirms for every attack - do you have a critical range of %100? If so... wow! For a natural 20 on the confirmation, let's just do the simple "you get to confirm again for triple damage."
    My attacks have a crit range of 17-20, x4. I think that should kill it, especially as I did confirm the double crit...

However, as the creatures you are attacking are undead (skeletons), criticals don't actually matter. At least you brought a hammer, so that will bypass their DR.
    Damn, nevermind.

I'm not sure how you can bullrush 3 different foes at once? Also, why did you put the damage in for those rolls, but not for the first set?
    Its a feat. I did not realize that you were gone for the evening at first, and it was easier to put in one post.

Assuming your still-unrolled damage (from your first set of attacks) is about the same as your other damage rolls, none of the giant skeletons will fall in this round. (Good thing too since it's the first round!)
    Oh, my turn is not over yet

Rolls:
    You should make a Spot check of: (1d20)[1] at the end of your round.
    Shoot...Spot? (1d20)[1] EDIT: Something went wrong there...^

I make a knowledge roll of [roll1] to guess what kind of creature you are. Not sure what the DC is - are you rare (20), unusual (15), or just a common (albeit furry) hill-giant (10)?
    You cant make untrained knowledge checks...but I guess I'd be unusaul or rare.

Questions:
    Doesn't your charge through the giant's 15 ft reach give them an attack of opportunity? Does your second charge?
    Forgot to mention, using my anklets of translocation to avoid AoOs.

Should I be making a save against those bullrushes?
    Make a bull rush check as well.
    Last edited by Olo Demonsbane; 2009-06-28 at 01:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A couple of clarifications:

If you really do 80+ per hit, then the skeletons can only take 2 hits - 3 will drop them. I was thinking the bullrush damage was just part of the hit. Have you adjusted the damage for the lack of criticals?

Instead of a Knowledge check, I should have made a Bardic Knowledge check: d20+12 to determine what kind of creature you are. Using the lousy roll from above, that's a result of 14 - so I know Common facts about your race.
    The damage does not include critical damage.

The bullrush casues more extra fun/death/re-death/destruction

Ok...I guess you can determine that I am a half minotaur...and that I am strong...ummm

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rechecking my numbers, the bullrushes should be 7 higher than they are right now.

80 on G10, 91 on F10, and 92 on H10.

Roll an opposed bullrush to determine if/how far I can knock them.

Sorry for any inconvenience or disemboweling that this might have caused.
    Last edited by Olo Demonsbane; 2009-06-28 at 05:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Questions:
    I still don't understand your crit rolls - you only get to roll on a natural 17 or higher, not a modified one. Not that it matters.

I don't understand how you can bull-rush 3 figures at once, given that bullrushing requires you to move into their square. Are you sure about that?

Anklets of Translocation, as I understand them, let you make a 10 ft teleport twice per day. But you can't normally activate a magic item twice per round, and even if you can avoid both sets of AoOs for the 2 charges, you'll still provoke AoOs from the bull rush.

Also, I'm curious what feats you are using to make two charges and full attacks against 3 opponents.

Rolls:
    Adding a +8 for their size (Huge) and their STR modifier of +16, they make the following rolls:

Bull Rush Checks:
    F10 (d20+24)[34]
    G10 (d20+24)[29]
    H10 (d20+24)[32]

Results:
    Obviously, you learn nothing from the failed spot check.

Damage totals:

F10: 174 dmg
    G10: 171 dmg
    H10: 176 dmg
    This means the giants are still standing.

Now, you're asserting that you've charged, attacked 3 opponents, leaped back, charged and bullrushed 3 opponents, and you're still not done?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Questions:
    I still don't understand your crit rolls - you only get to roll on a natural 17 or higher, not a modified one. Not that it matters.
    I was just pre rolling to confirm...it usually speeds up combat and makes it so that I dont double post.

I don't understand how you can bull-rush 3 figures at once, given that bullrushing requires you to move into their square. Are you sure about that?
    I am using the feat "Knockback".

Anklets of Translocation, as I understand them, let you make a 10 ft teleport twice per day. But you can't normally activate a magic item twice per round, and even if you can avoid both sets of AoOs for the 2 charges, you'll still provoke AoOs from the bull rush.
    I know that...the two attacks are in seperate turns. Explained below.

Also, I'm curious what feats you are using to make two charges and full attacks against 3 opponents.
    I used the martial maneuver White Raven Tactics. It lets me change my initiative count to one lower than my current one at the end of my turn...which results in another full attack. The charges are from Spirit Totem Barbarian Pounce.

I am truly sorry for all of the confusion my crazy build has wraught (sp?).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Now this part is the most confusing...I will explain it step by step:

Gatlin first hits G10, punting him back up to 51 feet to smack into the palaquin and the wall.

Hits:
    G10: 2
    Palaquin: 1

Gatlin then hits F10, shifting him 15 feet diagonally (thanks to his "Shocktrooper" feat) and throwing him back an additional 44 feet, to smack into G10, the palaquin, and the wall.

Hits:
    G10: 3
    F10: 3
    Palaquin: 2

Gatlin then hits H10, doing the same thing as to F10, and making them all collide again.

Hits:
    G10: 4
    F10: 4
    H10: 4
    Palaquin: 3

Each hit does 8d6+21 damage, so:

G10: (32d6+84)[203]
    F10: (32d6+84)[195]
    H10: (32d6+84)[198]
    Palaquin: (24d6+63)[141]

That probably destroys the Palaquin, though it should shield the rider from the force of the blows.

EDIT: I love minons
    Last edited by Olo Demonsbane; 2009-06-28 at 10:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Does White Raven Tactics work on yourself?

Q: Dear Sage
    Can you use White Raven Tactics (Tome of Battle p94) on yourself to gain another turn right after your current initiative score?
    --Robert

A: No. White Raven Tactics doesn’t work on the initiator himself.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070731a

Also - I didn't see your Bull Rush STR checks. My Giants are STR 43 and a size category larger than you, so it shouldn't be an automatic success for you.
    Last edited by Yahzi; 2009-06-28 at 10:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh...Damn. I thought when it said "ally", it considered "yourself" an ally too.

Ok, I guess we scratch the last 11 posts, or should this count as next turn's attack?

EDIT: Its in the spoilers. Knockback gives you the same bonus on your bullrush as to your damage when you power attack. Also, I have Improved Bullrush.
    Last edited by Olo Demonsbane; 2009-06-28 at 10:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently the "not on yourself" is errata.

When I said I'd give you initiative, I didn't expect to give you 2 rounds. So I'm going with the errata...

So - lets recap:

Round 1: You charge forward from an undetermined distance and inflict... no damage? Is that where we are at?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes .
    Last edited by Olo Demonsbane; 2009-06-28 at 10:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Er... why didn't you do the bull-rush charge on the first round?

Anyway, since you are standing in front of them, the giants will counter-attack (All attacks are normal slashing damage):

Round 1:
    F10 attacks twice with his great-sword.
    First Attack: (d20+25)[45] Damage (if he hit): (4d6+24)[42]
    Second Attack: (d20+20)[34] Damage (if he hit): (4d6+24)[39]

G10 attacks twice with his great-sword.
    First Attack: (d20+25)[37] Damage (if he hit): (4d6+24)[38]
    Second Attack: (d20+20)[29] Damage (if he hit): (4d6+24)[34]

H10 attacks twice with his great-sword.
    First Attack: (d20+25)[41] Damage (if he hit): (4d6+24)[29]
    Second Attack: (d20+20)[28] Damage (if he hit): (4d6+24)[39]

E10 takes a normal move to F9:

The giant makes a normal attack.
    First Attack: (d20+25)[29] Damage (if he hit): (4d6+24)[33]
    Then the creature makes strange and terrible sounds in its stomach, and black darkness roils out of it, covering F9 and F10 (A total of eight 10 foot cubes: six cover the two squares, and two more are stacked on top of F9 to make it taller).
    You should make a Spot Check at DC (d20+20)[25]. If you make it, see the spoiler below.
    You also need to make a Will Save at DC 21 or be Dazed for your next round.
    Finally, you will be in total darkness at the end of my round. Everything more than 5 ft away from you has Total Concealment; even at 5 ft, everything has Concealment.
    (The spell is DoomTide, from Complete Divine)

The small skeletons all run through the opening created by the moving giant, seeking to flank you. One pair reaches E8, one pair reaches E9, one pair reaches K9, and one pair reaches K10.

If you make the Spot Check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A human necromancer is hiding inside the giant, strapped into a custom (and expensive!) riding saddle. He is cowering behind a Tower Shield, granting him Total Cover (not to mention the armor and ribs of the skeleton, which give him Partial Cover). The necromancer is dressed like his skeletons, in flowing black.

I eagerly await whatever special feat/magic item you have that renders you immune to damage.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooh.... confirmation on the critical (the very first swing):

(d20+25)[44]

If it hits, then the additional damage is (4d6+24)[40].

(Remember, your AC is 2 lower for charging.)
    Last edited by Yahzi; 2009-06-28 at 11:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am dead.

I am not joking here, I used Shocktrooper and my AC went down to 10, it was only 24 to start with.

Good game.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olo Demonsbane View Post
    I am dead.

I am not joking here, I used Shocktrooper and my AC went down to 10, it was only 24 to start with.

Good game.
    Not just dead - dead to the very first attack. (I assume).

D&D is like... broken. It wasn't quite down to an initiative roll - you went first, but bad luck robbed you of any effect - but the idea that your character cannot survive one round against yourself is just... not fun.

Why didn't you do the crazy bowling-pin charge on round 1? My necro was hiding in the giant farthest from the palaquin (obviously!), so I would have survived, and been left with just the DoomTide. I guess you could have failed your save and given me a chance.

PM me your email and I'll send you my character sheet (4 pages in Excel!). I would love to see yours.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Second attack...I had 124 hp.

It was Rocket Tag, like I had predicted at first.

I do that whenever I hit...I also trip everything it goes through, and gain additional attacks against anything Im next to.

PMing right now.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

So the only reason I won is because you missed all 3 attacks in the first round (and you only missed the first one because of a fumble?)

Sheesh.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah...you still probalby would have won. I think that you could have killed me with your other skellies and spells...

It doesnt matter, I have a more versatile character that will hopefully not have to fight you if she makes it in.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Trying here now...

(1d20+12)[19]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Ha! The remaining giant gets his attack from when we moved up next to you:
    To hit: (d20+25)[30] Damage: (4d6+24)[37]

Then, while you're dazed, he gets a full attack:
    To hit: (d20+25)[29] Damage: (4d6+24)[35]
    To hit: (d20+20)[21] Damage: (4d6+24)[43]

And I cast Destruction: Make a DC 24 Fort Save. If you succeed, you take (10d6)[46] damage. If you fail... you die.

Assuming you somehow survived... make another DC 21 Will Save or be Dazed again. If you make the save, you can act normally; but remember you are in complete darkness. Since my giant has 15 ft reach, and you can't see more than 10 ft, you can't even see him though he is attacking you.

(Of course he can see you. )

Woot! Our combat may last 2, or possibly even 3, rounds!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh good grief... look at those crappy rolls! A 5, a 4, and a 1.

I know the first one hits, because your AC was way down; but the next round you are only Dazed, so your AC is basically normal. However, as you can't see my attacking giant, I think he counts as Invisible, which grants him a +2 to attack and denies you your DEX bonus (for his first attack in the 2nd round - the last attack is an auto miss!)

I'm sure you'll shrug off the Fort save, and the odds are you'll make the Will save, so lets see your 3rd round.

Edit: You can't see more than 5 ft. Sorry!
    Last edited by Yahzi; 2009-06-29 at 09:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fortitude: (1d20+22)[34]
    Will (1d20+12)[20]

Ive taken 118 damage, and have 6 hp left. I am pretty much dead. Its your turn, and I have 23 AC for this round. If you dont roll a 1 or a 2, you hit with both attacks, and even a 2 with your first lets you hit. I have a 1/400 chance of surviving your giant's attacks
    Last edited by Olo Demonsbane; 2009-06-29 at 09:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Come on, Giant!

To hit (d20+25)[39] Damage (4d6+24)[41]
    To hit (d20+20)[31] Damage (4d6+24)[45]

If that doesn't work, I may have to cast another spell!

Amazing that you could withstand everything but a Will Save. For the next fight I am totally memorizing Hold Person.