New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Genie pact warlock

A pact I made around the idea of having your magic com from a genie.

It's particularly verbose, and open to a lot of potential balance abuse so any suggestions for balance or shortening down the language are GREATLY appreciated

Spoiler: the deets
    Show
    Genie's wish
    Any time you cast a conjuration spell with the summoning or utility efffect or an illusion spell with the control, shapechanging, creation or movement effects using a warlock spell slot or cast the prestidigaitation cantrip to produce a non-instantaneous effect, you may chose to change it's duration to indefinite. Spells with an Indefinite duration cannot be dispelled, nor can their effects end due to a time constraint, but their effects still end due to alterior conditions, such as a succesful saving throw or dropping concentration. Any illusions with an indefinite duration become real, interactable objects and cannot be revealed as illusions via inspection.

Following a short or long rest, all spells lose the indefinite duration and are immediately dispelled. You can apply this to a number of spells equalling your number of cantrips known from the warlock *cantrips known* table. You regain all uses of this feature following a long rest

Claustrophobe
    Your patron has equipped you to escape trappings like theirs. At 6th level you gain advantage on any ability check made to escape a grapple or bond, as well as spells that would restrict your movement or attempt to control you

Into the Lamp
    At 10th level you can force a fraction of your patron's curse onto others. You can use your action to choose a creature you can see. They must succeed on a wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC. on a success, nothing happens. On a failure, they are transported to an extra dimensional space equal in size to them. While in this space, the only action they can take on their turn is attempting a strength saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure, they take 2d6 force damage. On a success, they are released from the space and re-appear in teh space they occupied previously, or the nearest empty space. Once you have used this feature, you may not use it again until you finish a long rest

If you have the Pact of the Magic Lamp, while you have the object you can use your action to bring the creature out of the space into the world, or return it to the space. You may use your action to command the target. You must maintain concentration, if you drop concentration they are freed from the effect. making the strength saving throw is a free action while they are out of the space

Greater Genie's Wish
    At 14th level, you are given three wishes. Any time you cast a conjuration spell with the summoning or utility efffect or an illusion spell with the control, shapechanging, creation or movement effects using a warlock spell slot or cast the prestidigaitation cantrip to produce a non-instantaneous effect, you may use one of your wishes to make the spell's duration permanent. Any illusions become real objects that can be interacted with. Spells can still have their effects ended by saving throws or alterior conditions. You regain one use of this ability following a long rest

If you have three spells affected by this feature, and you affect a new spell with it, the longest-active spell is dispelled immediately and it's effects end. As an action, you may end this effect on any spell Immediately dispelling it

Spoiler: The complimentary pact boon
    Show
    Pact of the Magic lamp
    You obtain a tiny object in the form of a container, such as a jar or lamp. While you possess the object you can use your action to enter or exit an extradimensional space linked to it. The space is 15' by 15'. You can bring gear and other objects into this space as well.

The object has ac equal to 10 + your cahrisma modifier and hit points equalling your level + your charisma modifier. If the object is destroyed while you are inside you are forced out, as well as any gear you have on your person entering the nearest available space.

The object can be called to your hand with a one-hour ritual. If you use this feature to create a new object you cannot create another until you finish a long rest. You cannot have more than one object with this effect at a time
    Last edited by stewstew5; 2019-05-15 at 08:46 PM.

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Genie pact warlock

The Genie's Wish features granting indefinite duration as well as making illusory objects real is way overpowered, especially the way the 1st level one does not have a limit to how many such spells you can cast this way. A warlock with the minor illusion cantrip would effectively have infinite money.

I'd remove the damage from Into the Lamp. Imprisoning the target is enough of an effect.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    The Genie's Wish features granting indefinite duration as well as making illusory objects real is way overpowered, especially the way the 1st level one does not have a limit to how many such spells you can cast this way. A warlock with the minor illusion cantrip would effectively have infinite money.

I'd remove the damage from Into the Lamp. Imprisoning the target is enough of an effect.
    Did I not have the restriction? It’s equal to the number of cantrip son the warlock cantrips known table.

Would it be more balanced to give 3 wishes then 1 greater wish?

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by stewstew5 View Post
    Did I not have the restriction? It’s equal to the number of cantrip son the warlock cantrips known table.

Would it be more balanced to give 3 wishes then 1 greater wish?
    Okay, I somehow missed that it was equal to cantrips known, and I've never seen that particular kind of number used for a feature like this before.

It's just... I'm leery of allowing a player to just make anything they want with what amounts to a cantrip. There are conjuration spells that create physical objects, but they tend to be specific as to what they create like Create Food and Water which is a 3rd level spell. I get that it's one item per use, but the versatility and permanence is rather powerful for a 1st level feature even without allowing multiple uses.

Personally, I'd say let them make one thing per long rest with the feature at 1st level and then bump it to three things at 14th.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Xanathars lost notes to everything else (dms guild) has a noble gen genie pact for the warlock, check that out for inspiration.

6. - Top - End - #6

Okay, I somehow missed that it was equal to cantrips known, and I've never seen that particular kind of number used for a feature like this before.

It's just... I'm leery of allowing a player to just make anything they want with what amounts to a cantrip. There are conjuration spells that create physical objects, but they tend to be specific as to what they create like Create Food and Water which is a 3rd level spell. I get that it's one item per use, but the versatility and permanence is rather powerful for a 1st level feature even without allowing multiple uses.

Personally, I'd say let them make one thing per long rest with the feature at 1st level and then bump it to three things at 14th.
    I’m always looking for new ways to use what we have :P

It’s still 2 small sacks of gold per long rest at first level, then four at highest, and they disappear following a short rest (opportunity town anyone?) and considering Warlock is a “short rest class”, they’d be better off using the higher-impact, specific spells like create food and water or phantom steed wouldn’t you say?

7. - Top - End - #7

I’m always looking for new ways to use what we have :P

It’s still 2 small sacks of gold per long rest at first level, then four at highest, and they disappear following a short rest (opportunity town anyone?) and considering Warlock is a “short rest class”, they’d be better off using the higher-impact, specific spells like create food and water or phantom steed wouldn’t you say?
    Except 2 small stacks of gold can easily be 2 small stacks of platinum instead, allowing the player to essentially commit fraud easily by buying things for fake money and then selling them for real money. Actually, all the player would need to do to send the local economy into chaos is go shopping for minor items with their wished-up platinum and ask for change.

Also, you might want to specify what this feature can and can't create. As written it does not disallow the creation of magical items. I can imagine a player using this to create a +5 greatsword of everything slaying that makes coffee and also does their taxes for them. Heck, it doesn't disallow the creation of living creatures either.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

8. - Top - End - #8

Except 2 small stacks of gold can easily be 2 small stacks of platinum instead, allowing the player to essentially commit fraud easily by buying things for fake money and then selling them for real money. Actually, all the player would need to do to send the local economy into chaos is go shopping for minor items with their wished-up platinum and ask for change.

Also, you might want to specify what this feature can and can't create. As written it does not disallow the creation of magical items. I can imagine a player using this to create a +5 greatsword of everything slaying that makes coffee and also does their taxes for them. Heck, it doesn't disallow the creation of living creatures either.
    If the spell can’t deal damage, it still can’t when it’s real. D&D always takes the most direct route.

They become real objects, they don’t become the objects they look like

End of the day the dm may rule for them to act like the basic item (mundane greatsword for your example), or an improvised weapon.

How could I word it to fix that. Just “you cannot create magical objects”?
    Last edited by stewstew5; 2019-05-16 at 12:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

If the spell can’t deal damage, it still can’t when it’s real. D&D always takes the most direct route.

They become real objects, they don’t become the objects they look like

End of the day the dm may rule for them to act like the basic item (mundane greatsword for your example), or an improvised weapon.

How could I word it to fix that. Just “you cannot create magical objects”?
    To answer the last point first: "The items you create cannot possess any magical enhancements of any kind."

I'm not concerned about the spell making weapons that deal damage like real weapons when used to attack, that's just fine if a bit powerful for a 1st level feature. I'm more concerned with a player creating things like living creatures, objects they have never seen (such as the exact key needed to open a particular lock), items with complex construction or moving parts (clockwork devices), powerful and expensive substances like poison or alchemist's fire, and - most importantly - objects of significant monetary value that can then be sold/traded for real money and/or goods that won't vanish after their next rest.

Now, earlier today I was reading something on Reddit (forgot the link) that likened the Prestidigitation cantrip to 'Minor Wish' because of how incredibly versatile it is. Thaumaturgy and Druidcraft are highly similar cantrips as well.

So, I propose revising the Genie's Wish feature to the following: You know the Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, and Druidcraft cantrips. These count as Warlock cantrips for you and do not count against your number of cantrips known.

Simple, straightforward, makes use of existing game mechanics, and allows the character to perform minor magical feats limited almost only by their imagination. If getting three cantrips sounds powerful, I'll restate that the three are highly similar in their effects and the differences between them are just barely significant (for example: Druidcraft can cause plants to grow faster).
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

10. - Top - End - #10

PaladinGuy

I love the pact boon :)

11. - Top - End - #11

To answer the last point first: "The items you create cannot possess any magical enhancements of any kind."

I'm not concerned about the spell making weapons that deal damage like real weapons when used to attack, that's just fine if a bit powerful for a 1st level feature. I'm more concerned with a player creating things like living creatures, objects they have never seen (such as the exact key needed to open a particular lock), items with complex construction or moving parts (clockwork devices), powerful and expensive substances like poison or alchemist's fire, and - most importantly - objects of significant monetary value that can then be sold/traded for real money and/or goods that won't vanish after their next rest.

Now, earlier today I was reading something on Reddit (forgot the link) that likened the Prestidigitation cantrip to 'Minor Wish' because of how incredibly versatile it is. Thaumaturgy and Druidcraft are highly similar cantrips as well.

So, I propose revising the Genie's Wish feature to the following: You know the Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, and Druidcraft cantrips. These count as Warlock cantrips for you and do not count against your number of cantrips known.

Simple, straightforward, makes use of existing game mechanics, and allows the character to perform minor magical feats limited almost only by their imagination. If getting three cantrips sounds powerful, I'll restate that the three are highly similar in their effects and the differences between them are just barely significant (for example: Druidcraft can cause plants to grow faster).
    That would force the main point of the pact all the way back to level 14, which is the only place that feature could fit, as balancing it really leaves you with either the level 1 or 14 features.

I do like your idea though. I’m just worried it might lose that something-something that makes it what it is, yknow?

Maybe limiting prestidigitation to creating mundane objects (alchemists fire isn’t mundane right?), remembering its limits of nothing moving (like a clock) or bigger than could fit in your hand.

And besides, couldn’t the wizard illusionist conjure up “the perfect key”, then have your local rogue create a physical stand in copy with their thieve’s tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    I love the pact boon :)
    Thank you kindly
    Last edited by stewstew5; 2019-05-16 at 08:37 PM.