New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 5e Base Class Contest VII Voting Thread

This is the voting thread for the seventh base class contest Remix Mastery.

The rules are simple. Vote for your top three picks, in order. You can't vote for yourself. A number 1 vote is worth 3 points, a number 2 vote is worth 2, and a number 3 vote is worth one.

You can also suggest or vote on what you would like the next contest's theme to be. Currently in the suggestion box are Time, Dragons, and Magic Without Slots, but don't feel as though you need to limit your suggestions to those themes; a larger pool means more options to vote on next time.

Entry Creator 1st 2nd 3rd
    Spellbane moonfly7 0 0 0
    Stonehenge Druid Kyutaru 0 2 1
    Anger Point Barbarian theVoidWatches 0 1 2
    Theurge, 1, 2 MoleMage 2 1 0
    Ranger Remixed KOLE 2 1 1
    Samurai sengmeng 0 1 1
    Warden Fnissalot 2 0 1
    Warlock Remixed Bloodcloud 0 0 0

The voting period will be two weeks, ending at the end of the day on August 4th. The following day I will tally these results and declare a winner. For the curious, the tiebreakers I will be using are:

1st tiebreaker is whether both participants voted. If one did not, they lose the tie.
    2nd tiebreaker is total number of 1st place votes. The entry which got more 1st place votes will win the tie.
    There is no 3rd tiebreaker. If both entrants voted and both entries reached their total score with the same number of 1st place votes, the tie will stand.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-08-05 at 08:40 AM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest VII Voting Thread

1. KOLE's Ranger Remix. It ties together the ranger's mechanics with the new quarry dice in a way that feels better to me than the current ranger's loose magic feeling.
    2. MoleMage's Theurge. I'm not so sure about sorcery as a system - it feels very much like the Mystic's Disciplines, and the Mystic left a bad taste in my mouth - but it's the most complete and fleshed out class in this contest.
    3. sengmeng's Samurai. It's an interesting mix of fighter and monk.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring for Slotless Magic as the next contest, I've had a Ritualist class simmering in the back of my head for months now and I've just settled on a satisfying mechanic for it.

And while I'm here I might as well vote for the base classes for this contest too.

1. KOLES's Ranger Remix - A solid spell-less ranger that's mechanics capture the theme and feeling of the ranger without getting too clunky.

2. Sengmeng's Samuri - Looks like a lot of fun to play, even though it is a bit overpowered, especially when multiclassing. With just two or three levels in this class you can get crazy stuff like Zweihänder rogues or monks with an extra four or five ki than they would have going straight monk (the usual problem with multiclassing monk is the ki loss not being worth the multiclass).

3. Kyutaru's Stonehenge Druid - Thematically and Mechanically solid and interesting, well done.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

1. Warden, this thing rocks. I've always said revised ranger was good enough for me, but you proved me wrong, excellent work.
    2. Stone henge druid. Love this, a return to what druids in real life could have been like. Good work.
    3. Ranger remixed. You did good, loved the quarry die, I appreciate your time and effort. Nice job.
    And my vote for theme is slot less spell casting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

1. Theurge. Super cool, but I am not a 100% on how it actually would be to use the sorceries. They are very different from normal spells so it is hard to imagine. Super creative!
    2. Stonehenge druid. I would have preferred having only one skeletal servant that grows. Summons in combat can slow stuff down to much. Otherwise neat!
    3. Anger point barbarian. Nice! I like the attempt to better structure and balance rage than it is know.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-08-01 at 12:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

1. The Warden.
    2. Ranger Remixed.
    3. Anger Point Barbarian.

Honestly, for me the two rangers were neck and neck. What ended up tipping it was the Warden's brilliant "favored enemy as subclass" direction. But both versions did a great job of capturing the concept and delivering it in a way that looked fun to use. The Anger Point Barbarian isn't far behind either of those, as it captures a unique mechanic (tracking points that constantly move up and down) and ties it to the play fantasy of the barbarian. It also gives the barbarian something to do outside of rages.

Honorable Mention: The Samurai's features and playstyle are definitely more compelling than the original class. It was well built and would honestly have gotten a vote if I had more than three votes.

Theme: Magic Without Slots. I want to revise and expand my sorcery subsystem. I already posted the Wilder, so my other primary sorcerous class is out, but this will be a good chance for me to figure out how a half-sorcerous class looks in the Cultist.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-08-02 at 03:41 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

1) Theurge

2) Anger point barbarian

3) Warden

Theme vote: Slotless magic
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, the voting period is up and it's time to call the results!

In 3rd place, with 7 points, we have Fnissalot's Warden! This ranger remake lets you apply specialized knowledge of foes and terrain in a wider world.

In 2nd place, with 8 points, we have MoleMage's Theurge! This alternate magic system cleric can be built to many different playstyles.

And in 1st place, with 9 points, we have KOLE's Ranger Remixed! Another ranger remake, this one instead focuses on applying special Quarry Dice to a variety of situations, from combat to tracking and more.

Congrats to our winners! The theme which drew the most interest was Magic Without Slots, so look for Contest VIII shortly.

Spoiler
    Show