New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: MitD XIV: High In Protean

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I seem to remember an episode where it was shown that their entire battle was just their job. They checked out for the day and continued their chase the next morning. I'm pretty sure he talked in that one.
    That was nominally a wolf who happened to be completely identical in appearance to the Coyote. Any similarities between the characters is no doubt entirely coincidental.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That was nominally a wolf who happened to be completely identical in appearance to the Coyote.
    Vile calumnies, I tell you! I never even saw that coyote!

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #513
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Given their xenophobia, it would be surprising to find one talking, and in common no less, despite their knowledge of languages, and because they have their own language which is, for all other creatures, not a language at all.
    Hmm, but if one of them is speaking with some humans, I wouldn't be surprised that he's using Common. After all, he should know that they can't understand his own language. And if the SBGH wouldn't even recognize his language as a language, what language would they expect him to speak?
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    Hmm, but if one of them is speaking with some humans, I wouldn't be surprised that he's using Common. After all, he should know that they can't understand his own language. And if the SBGH wouldn't even recognize his language as a language, what language would they expect him to speak?
    Well, if we consider that the MitD is Wile E. Coyote, then they would expect him to speak..... sign language.

I HAVE NO REGRETS
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, look at it like this: let's say you find a group of people who speak Swahili, Spanish, Mandarin, and French. They could learn any language, but due to their culture, they exclusively speak a Swahili/Spanish/Mandarin creole language that only they speak. There are no known cases of them being willing to learn or speak a different language, instead sticking to their creole language.
    You only speak English, so you can't make heads or tails of anything that they say - in fact, part of you can barely tell if they're saying anything at all. One day, you stumble upon one of these people, and decide to say hello. Suddenly, the person starts speaking perfect English and asks you about the weather.

Are you surprised?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-06-23 at 04:06 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

They wouldn't expect him to be using any language at all, just meaningless sounds that don't conform to any definition of language they know of. The very fact that a member of a species so xenophobic is speaking at all, and in common, no less, is surprising. That's what matches what the clue says. It's not that they lack the capacity, it is that it is surprising this protean is not refusing to talk to his lessers, and indeed doing so in anything that even resembles a language.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-23 at 04:09 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, if we consider that the MitD is Wile E. Coyote, then they would expect him to speak..... sign language.

I HAVE NO REGRETS
    Maybe they just think he's a coyote and don't understand that he is this unique individual coyote.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe they just think he's a coyote and don't understand that he is this unique individual coyote.
    While its fun thinking on it as the MitD, I don't think anyone has ever vomited seeing willy e Coyote (its a character for kids show!) nor someone would find it beautiful. he also has no problems at all holding ropes (heck he uses ropes a LOT in his traps) and the only planes he should have knowledge on is x,y,z axis since he loves to draw the traps he prepares before hand.

incidentally I watched a video of him getting wrecked by boulders and in two occasions he brought in a small parasol to "shield him" from harm, but none of them match the forms he uses in OOTS.

it was worth a laugh, thou.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

... The very fact that a member of a species so xenophobic is speaking at all, and in common, no less, is surprising. That's what matches what the clue says. It's not that they lack the capacity, it is that it is surprising this protean is not refusing to talk to his lessers, and indeed doing so in anything that even resembles a language.

Grey Wolf
    As only a casual pathfinder player, this may be a silly thought. Before reading this thread, I had never heard of a protean. It seems everyone here is assuming that all characters in the oots world have a full and complete knowledge of any and all monsters. Doesn't it stand to reason that may be an incorrect assumption? As a xenophobic species, i doubt very many even know they exist (except in perhaps their equivalent of fairy tales?). If that's the case, its perfectly understandable that observers would express surprise that a creature that is constantly changing and morphing would speak common.
    Last edited by Neponde; 2020-06-23 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Apparently I have troubles spelling

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neponde View Post
    As a casual pathfinder player, this may be a silly thought. Before reading this thread, I had never heard of a protean. It seems everyone here is assuming that all characters in the oots world have a full and complete knowledge of any and all monsters. Doesn't it stand to reason that may be an incorrect assumption?
    It would be, but we are not. We are assuming very complete knowledge from stereotypical big game hunters who, stereotypically, have absolute knowledge of all manner of beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Neponde View Post
    i doubt very many even know they exist (except in perhaps their equivalent of fairy tales?). If that's the case, its perfectly understandable that observers would express surprise that a creature that is constantly changing and morphing would speak common.
    The SBGH talk about "one of these" - they clearly have recognised it. Now, for some other examples, it could be argued they might have confused it with a different species it could be confused with (I don't much like that argument, mind you, but it has been used), but there is nothing that you'd confuse a protean with.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-23 at 04:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

It would be, but we are not. We are assuming very complete knowledge from stereotypical big game hunters who, stereotypically, have absolute knowledge of all manner of beasts.

Grey Wolf
    Oops, my bad. I had conflated two crowds in my head. I withdraw the comment.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vendanna View Post
    While its fun thinking on it as the MitD, I don't think anyone has ever vomited seeing willy e Coyote (its a character for kids show!) nor someone would find it beautiful. he also has no problems at all holding ropes (heck he uses ropes a LOT in his traps) and the only planes he should have knowledge on is x,y,z axis since he loves to draw the traps he prepares before hand.
    All of which I addressed in the writeup!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #523
    Dwarf in the Playground

[...]

Grey Wolf
    Well, if I were to play devil's advocate (for fun) I would say that indeed, the stereotypical big game hunters, would have absolute knowledge of all manner of [beasts]

the hagunemnon is a [Large aberration] as its type not a Beast nor magical beast, so it wouldn't be something these gentlemen would be genre savvy about since its should be outside their expertise.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if I were to play devil's advocate (for fun) I would say that indeed, the stereotypical big game hunters, would have absolute knowledge of all manner of [beasts]

the hagunemnon is a [Large aberration] as its type not a Beast nor magical beast, so it wouldn't be something these gentlemen would be genre savvy about since its should be outside their expertise.
    Beasts in the sense of 19th century BGH novels easily covers what D&D calls magical beasts and aberrations. And, because racism, also any aboriginal people.

Grey Wolf

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

From their fluff:

Given their xenophobia, it would be surprising to find one talking, and in common no less, despite their knowledge of languages, and because they have their own language which is, for all other creatures, not a language at all.

Grey Wolf
    Ah, thanks. And, yeah, I agree. Not only is "made no mention" an absurd description of how we've handled the question, but it's not a flaw at all given everything else we know about a Protean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I just watched this a few days ago!

I seem to remember an episode where it was shown that their entire battle was just their job. They checked out for the day and continued their chase the next morning. I'm pretty sure he talked in that one.
    That's Sam the Sheepdog and Ralph the Wolf.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Technically, Beast isn’t even a creature type in 3.5e. It was removed after the game designers realized that drawing a distinction between regular animals and dinosaurs was a bit arbitrary (I think they pointed out that, by that logic, if tigers went extinct their creature type would have to change, which would be rather silly).

The point is, you can safely use Beast as a non-technical term in 3.5e, because it doesn’t describe anything specific.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-06-23 at 05:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Technically, Beast isn’t even a creature type in 3.5e.
    OotS is 3.0 in prequels; as evidenced by the conversion in the first strip.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

Beasts in the sense of 19th century BGH novels easily covers what D&D calls magical beasts and aberrations. And, because racism, also any aboriginal people.

Grey Wolf
    That's a pretty good point actually. They obviously have skill points in knowledge (local) and knowledge (nature). As you pointed out, they probably have a bunch in (arcana) and (dungeoneering), too. But how much knowledge would a BGH need about the planes? Could they recognize an Outsider on sight and know their inherent traits? That might be a point against the MitD being that monster type.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenBrony
    if we include the fact that nagas can fit in a size smaller than they suggest, and that despite the epic level handbook not including that rule there's apparently another one that does.
    To clarify, in 3rd edition all snake-bodied creatures occupied a space half their size when coiled. This was removed in 3.5. Epic Level Handbook is a 3.0 and includes the coiling.
    I, personally, think that spellcasting is a bad solution because if you accept that anything he does could be from spellcasting than the guessing game seems less fun to me. but it's a much better choice than many in the proposed list. and i think it's at least possible, and maybe deserves in the fbs, or perhaps there should be another category so that people can see the maybe's as well.
    Thank you for the support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Heh. I see the ha-naga was deemed "not a great fit" ten years ago. It's tempting to thread dive and read what was said then...
    Here.
    Lot of the same people making the same arguments as 10 years later, and not much of a defensive showing on the Ha-naga's behalf.

This is my favorite exchange from back then:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen
    The tracks, especially, seem to me to be a problem- snake tracks are generally pretty recognizable, aren't they? If the MitD was leaving tracks that pretty much looked like giant snake tracks, I'd expect Belkar to say that, rather than calling the tracks "unusual." He's not exactly a skilled tracker, but I'd think that'd be pretty obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJimBoBob
    I'm not arguing that the MitD is a Naga, Ha or any other flavor. But using a turn of a phrase as evidence either for or against is probably a stretch. Rich is quite obviously keeping the creature type secret, which is a very natural cause for characters to speak less clearly about their observations. Having Belkar call the tracks "unusual" is a great way to keep him from dropping clues to the readers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c
    Agreed, and indeed the tracks are not really a problem for the naga - particularly one that'd be carrying a dead body while trying to move forwards. Sure, Aragorn would be able to read that circumstance in the strange tracks, but since all they have is sub-9 WIS Belkar, anything that isn't humanoid is simply beyond him.
    Meanwhile these days we have:
    Flying creatures do explain a bunch of issues with the lack of snow tracks, I'll grant you, but not the desert tracks. And if for whatever reason it wasn't flying then, snake tracks are not so uncommon that even Belkar would be confused by them. Oh, and of course, the Ha-Naga cannot invoke the "was carrying the table" excuse since it can't carry stuff while moving.

"can also cast cleric spells and spells from the domains of Chaos and Evil as arcane spells"
    As has been previously explained to you, this does not mean the Ha-naga constantly has access to all cleric spells as a cleric does. It means when choosing spells known, the Ha-naga may also pick spells from the Cleric list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent Kingdoms, page 27
    Some nagas can treat spells from the cleric spell list and certain domain spell lists as arcane spells and can choose them as spells known if desired. For such nagas, gaining additional levels in the class it uses for spellcasting also gives it access to higher-level cleric and domain spells. For example, a typical spirit naga casts spells as a 7th-level sorcerer and thus can know 3rd-level cleric spells and 3rd-level spells from the Chaos and Evil domains as arcane spells. If that spirit naga acquires one sorcerer level, it can then cast spells as an 8th-level sorcerer and thus has access to 4th-level cleric and domain spells. Nagas do not receive the granted powers of their domains.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher
    You don't agree with this thread's results or even its very methodology. Why are you posting here rather than creating your own thread?
    Even putting aside the rules violation, "Don't like it, leave" is a horrible fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck
    Not only that, 3Power is wildly misrepresenting the Protean here-- the kind of wild misrepresentation fundamental to all his arguments in this thread. What evidence is there the Protean has "access to every language in existence"? The only information I can find on language is in the OP: "Normally speak only ever-evolving language impossible for any non-protean to understand."
    So to prove I'm wrong about the OP being incorrect, you reference the OP?

Because as we all know, people who hate others always hate others silently.

Also Redcloak, because he is very smart and stuff and never makes snarky jokes at other monsters' expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck
    Ah, thanks. And, yeah, I agree. Not only is "made no mention" an absurd description of how we've handled the question, but it's not a flaw at all given everything else we know about a Protean.
    So because you have a pet explanation for it, it shouldn't be listed as a flaw?

20. - Top - End - #530
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    Even putting aside the rules violation, "Don't like it, leave" is a horrible fallacy.
    Well, it depends. I'm not just coming up with this out of the blue. This thread has gradually developed specific rules and a methodology, good chunks of which you completely disagree with. You've tried repeatedly to get the community to change those rules in various ways, and have mostly been unsuccessful.

Its like if you went to a thread on playing chess and tried to convince people that the rook should move diagonally and the bishop should move in a straight line. After some discussion, the other folks in the thread say "No, that's not how we've established the rules."

I mean, sure, you can keep trying to change their minds if you have the time. But repeating largely the same arguments over and over gets old and people go from being open minded to just pissed off that you're arguing that same point AGAIN when they just want to talk about chess. We're way, way past that point here. Its weird that you don't see why folks have to be wondering why you're here if you're not particularly interested in chess.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2020-06-23 at 06:22 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

21. - Top - End - #531
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lot of the same people making the same arguments as 10 years later,
    Which are perfectly valid points to bring up against it. They're not wrong. These are problems with the ha-naga as a candidate. Along with a lot of others.

I do think the problem with the protean speaking all languages should be put in its notes in the FBS, if at the very least because the SRD doesn't have the protean flavor text.

Also, put me down for Protean > Snorlax.
    Last edited by catagent101; 2020-06-23 at 08:06 PM.
    mew

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by catagent101 View Post
    I do think the problem with the protean speaking all languages should be put in its notes in the FBS, if at the very least because the SRD doesn't have the protean flavor text.
    Fair. Added.

GW

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Well, it depends. I'm not just coming up with this out of the blue. This thread has gradually developed specific rules and a methodology, good chunks of which you completely disagree with. You've tried repeatedly to get the community to change those rules in various ways, and have mostly been unsuccessful.

Its like if you went to a thread on playing chess and tried to convince people that the rook should move diagonally and the bishop should move in a straight line. After some discussion, the other folks in the thread say "No, that's not how we've established the rules."
    It's more like wanting to discuss Arimaa, but the mods decided that chess variants belong in the chess thread, so you end up discussing Arimaa with people with no interest in learning about or discussing anything other than basic chess. So your choices are continue to try to discuss Arimaa in the chess thread or don't discuss it at all. And let's say for the sake of argument that said forum is pretty much the only location on the internet where discussion of Chess and chess variants are relevant.
    I mean, sure, you can keep trying to change their minds if you have the time. But repeating largely the same arguments over and over gets old and people go from being open minded to just pissed off that you're arguing that same point AGAIN when they just want to talk about chess. We're way, way past that point here. Its weird that you don't see why folks have to be wondering why you're here if you're not particularly interested in chess.
    Let's be real here. When this thread isn't discussing the ha-naga or protean, its discussing snorlax and wile-e coyote. Sorry, but when this is the ONLY place where the MiTD mystery can be discussed and the only thing being discussed when I'm not around are meme monsters, the idea that I'm somehow keeping you from more important business is laughable.

Also the irritation on discussing the same points over and over again goes both ways. I don't like having to re-explain several times, for instance, that "no, that's not how naga having access to cleric spells works." But that's why accurate information in the op would be a plus

24. - Top - End - #534

ElfWarriorGuy

I’d quibble with your choice of words but things have been antagonistic for long enough that it’s to be expected. And, yeah, makes sense. You’re in an unfortunate situation.

As for meme monsters, Snorlax would actually be excellent if not for trademarking or whatever. Wile E Coyote is silly, but when the MitD hasn’t made an appearance in a really, really long time there’s less to talk about. Normally, with this little going on the thread will just shut down for weeks at a time.

Which should suggest why there’s been so much activity lately. It’s not you kicking anthills, you were just a direction to channel energy. When you wandered away it was directed towards meme monsters.

No, everyone is excited because we all think MitD will make an appearance soon. Everyone’s hoping a new clue or two will turn up, plus it’s been forever and a day since we saw him.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2020-06-23 at 11:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

No, everyone is excited because we all think MitD will make an appearance soon. Everyone’s hoping a new clue or two will turn up,
    Absolutely true. And I should muster the energy to post a writeup about my pet favourite candidate before that comes.

plus it’s been forever and a day since we saw him.
    It can't have been that long. I mean I just edited my first page post to describe the most recent appearance, before that it was just a strip number and no description. Would I have left it undescribed for so long? :-) (Answer: yes, more than 6 months.)

26. - Top - End - #536
    Pixie in the Playground

Little knowledge of DnD. Setting the issues with templates aside, would a template that changes a creature's type allow for a creature of a forbidden type to be a valid candidate? (e.g. pseudonatural undead)

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spirare View Post
    Little knowledge of DnD. Setting the issues with templates aside, would a template that changes a creature's type allow for a creature of a forbidden type to be a valid candidate? (e.g. pseudonatural undead)
    A few of them change the creature type, but usually in the wrong direction. #1018 first panel has a good example: one of the priests of the Creed of the Stone was a half-elemental, so Team Greg couldn't turn them to a vampire. I presume that half-elemental is a template that changes the creature type. The Half-Celestial template changes the type of a creature.

28. - Top - End - #538

AssassinGuy

As has been previously explained to you, this does not mean the Ha-naga constantly has access to all cleric spells as a cleric does. It means when choosing spells known, the Ha-naga may also pick spells from the Cleric list.
    I will take your word for it that you've previously explained the way Ha-Nagas acquire spells, however, I don't remember reading this anywhere before.

It makes a very slight difference in my estimation of how probable a candidate the Ha-Naga could be. However, Redcloak's remark was about whether MitD could cast a spell as a 5th level cleric, not whether he had chosen any 3rd level cleric spells. That's two different things. The insinuation was that MitD had no cleric spellcasting abilities, period, not that he had spellcasting abilities but had wasted them on sorceror spells. I feel as though the second explanation is reading too much into it, especially when we've never seen MitD do anything that seems remotely like a sorceror spell either (as distinct from spell-like abilities, and admittedly this is a fine line- but as someone already asked, why would he have to tip his cart to reach a bucket if he could just use Mage Hand?).
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spirare View Post
    Sure, but wouldn't be in consideration for FBS list, because the FBS looks at the base unaltered creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    I will take your word for it that you've previously explained the way Ha-Nagas acquire spells, however, I don't remember reading this anywhere before.

It makes a very slight difference in my estimation of how probable a candidate the Ha-Naga could be. However, Redcloak's remark was about whether MitD could cast a spell as a 5th level cleric, not whether he had chosen any 3rd level cleric spells. That's two different things. The insinuation was that MitD had no cleric spellcasting abilities, period, not that he had spellcasting abilities but had wasted them on sorceror spells. I feel as though the second explanation is reading too much into it, especially when we've never seen MitD do anything that seems remotely like a sorceror spell either (as distinct from spell-like abilities, and admittedly this is a fine line- but as someone already asked, why would he have to tip his cart to reach a bucket if he could just use Mage Hand?).
    Or, in other words, as was said back then, Ha-Naga can cast raise undead, or can do so within a single level up if they re-spec. RC's barb about needing 5 level ups to obtain the necessary cleric levels doesn't fit if he was insulting a Ha-Naga. Or, as per it's entry in the OP, "Can raise undead (or could by retraining upon level up), which MitD cannot "without gaining 5 levels of cleric"."

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-24 at 08:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Monster in the Darkness is, quite clearly, Wile E. Coyote.

I commend your flawless deduction skills. Bravo!