New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Snooze [D&D 3.5+ Spell, P.E.A.C.H.]

This idea dawned on me as I woke up for the fifth time yesterday morning.

Snooze
    Abjuration
    Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Asn 1, Sloth 1
    Components: V,S,F
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
    Target: 1 creature.
    Duration: 1 minute/level.
    Saving Throw: Will (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Snooze creates a suppressive field of magic around its target. If the target should trip the effects of any active Alarm effect, the Alarm spell does not sound, either audibly or within the caster's mind, until the end of Snooze's duration. Further if the target of snooze trips an active Greater Alarm effect, it is suppressed likewise for a number of rounds equal to Snooze's caster level, or the end of Snooze's duration. (Whichever is shorter.)

Focus: A black satin glove.

Greater Snooze

Unimportantation
    Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4, Asn 3, Sloth 3
    Components: V,S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
    Target: 1 creature.
    Duration: 1 minute/level.
    Saving Throw: Will (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Greater Snooze functions exactly like snooze, except it also suppresses scrying effects. Any scrying effect of 3rd level or lower that would effect the target of Greater Snooze, instead re-loops what it has revealed to the Scry effect's caster, until the end of Greater Snooze's duration. At this point, the scry effect reveals what it would have while it was suppressed, this is revealed all within one round.
    A Greater Snooze suppresses scrying effects of higher levels likewise for one round per caster level, or to the end of Greater Snooze's duration. (Whichever is shorter.) The Caster of the Scy effect is entitled a spell craft DC (10+Caster Level of Greater Snooze) in order to notice the re-looping. Should anything obvious occur for a second time in the re-loop, the Scry caster may attempt a spot or listen check DC (equal to the DC of Greater's Snooze's will save) in order to notice the trickery. This does not dispel Greater Snooze, but does reveal that the Scy effect has been suppressed.

Are there already spells that cover this basis, and are these at all useful?
    I can imagine a Bard or Assassin using this spell for purposes of a hasty get away, when he or she isn't certain if there will be alarms on the exit path, but doesn't have time to hunt them out.
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2011-12-26 at 10:37 AM.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Give me five more minutes...Two New Spells

I haven't HEARD of anything like this before, but I am hardly the one around here that know that stuff the most.

The first one is one of those niche spells that people buy scrolls of, or add to their spell books given the chance, but which rarely get added to anyone's "Spells Known" limited list, or actually prepared... this isn't a bad thing.

The second... well, Scrying USUALLY isn't a time sensitive thing, so it might be even more specialized.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3

Hmmm. Perhaps the second should be bumped up a level or two and work on all divination effects?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

The spells look fine, and could be useful in the right game.

However, they don't feel 'transmutation' to me...your not changing anything. If your spell ''creates a suppressive field of magic'' that is Evocation. Evocation creates energy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Hmmm. Perhaps the second should be bumped up a level or two and work on all divination effects?
    Isn't that what Mindblank is for? No need to obsolete an entire school of magic earlier than it already is (ok, so I exaggerate about it becoming obsolete).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-10-18 at 05:47 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Snooze is fine.

However, name me a spell of 3rd level or lower that has the (Scrying) tag. I can think of one, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance. Detect Thoughts isn't even (Scrying). Greater Snooze is basically "stop Clairaudience/Clairvoyance"... which Nondetection can arguably do already.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #7

Ah yes... nondetection.
    It seems greater snooze is the lesser spell. Consider it retracted.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtide View Post
    The spells look fine, and could be useful in the right game.

However, they don't feel 'transmutation' to me...your not changing anything. If your spell ''creates a suppressive field of magic'' that is Evocation. Evocation creates energy.
    Suppressing other spell effects directly feels more Abjuration to me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I second Abjuration, since that's what Antimagic field and dispel magic belong to, as well as the Anti-[INSERT UNDESIRABLE HERE] Shell line.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I could make an argument for the spells being illusions, just used on magic effects, not directly on people.

11. - Top - End - #11

For some reason I had thought that Antimagic field was transmutation when I had made this spell. Abjuration, is a much more obvious choice. Not only does it suppress a magical effect, it is a very defense oriented spell. There is trickery to it, but I'd say more so defense.