New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any spell cast

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Any spell cast

Turns you to stone inside that chamber. Not that would not affect a demigod. Do you think his cleric will turn to stone?
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Any spell cast

Any spell cast on any creature. Spell with a range of self may be allowed.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

3. - Top - End - #3

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Any spell cast

So you could cast dispel magic on yourself?
    Confusion would turn you to stone but cause chaos in the process.

Anything else that could work to hinder this meeting.

Did any of them(other then the cleric) look like casters
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

4. - Top - End - #4

It's not "any spell cast". It's "any breech of dwarven law". There's probably a number of spells specifically excluded, including Summon Proxy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It's not "any spell cast". It's "any breech of dwarven law". There's probably a number of spells specifically excluded, including Summon Proxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonetor, 1157
    The laws don't prohibit simply talking! But they do explicitly forbid attacking or using any spell or supernatural ability on any creature during a council meeting
    I disagree with Cazero that there is a loophole in self-casting, since oneself is a subset of "any creature", but otherwise, it is correct that the law seems rather strict when it comes to actions during a council meeting.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Maybe Summon Proxy counts as casting a spell on the relevant god. Are gods creatures in D&D?
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Elemental View Post
    Maybe Summon Proxy counts as casting a spell on the relevant god. Are gods creatures in D&D?
    They might not use summon proxy at all. The scenario can work with a commune/sending-like spell that receives the question from Dvalin and allows the priest to send back an answer. Alternatively, the blue barrier might not care about targets outside the room.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that if it was impossible to do what they assemble there to do they'd have noticed by now.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Isn't summon proxy, and the barriers original spells in the sense they are not part of any other D&D work, such as books or similar?

If so, while perhaps more convoluted, I could imagine the summon proxy spell itself also provide immunity from the barrier spell effects, but only when it comes to casting summon proxy.
    If there is some kind of connected history between the summon proxy spell the followers of Dvalin may receive, and the barrier spells surrounding the meeting of clan elders, then perhaps it could be a possibility that one spell may temporarily (e.g. while active) protect against the other?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I disagree with Cazero that there is a loophole in self-casting, since oneself is a subset of "any creature", but otherwise, it is correct that the law seems rather strict when it comes to actions during a council meeting.

Grey Wolf
    To be clear, I'm making a distinction between spells with a range of self (like Commune) and spells targeted at self (like a theoritical Dispell Magic).
    Many spells with a range of self would be better described as not having a range at all.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

What I keep wondering is this: Does the spell go off before you are turned to stone? If you are willing to sacrifice yourself, can you cast dispel magic on one person (or, even better, mass dispel)?

12. - Top - End - #12

WolfInSheepsClothing

What will happen if the cleric turns themself to stone to prevent the vampires from swaying the vote? Do they need to find another cleric?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

People keep on misinterpreting: That barrier doesn't stop any spell being cast: It stops any spell being cast ON THE COUNCIL. It stops violations of Dwarven law, of which casting spells on the Council is one.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I wonder what would happen if you summoned a creature that, say, dealt fire damage to any creature within a certain radius. Would that count as a violation of the rules?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #15

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if it was impossible to do what they assemble there to do they'd have noticed by now.
    Naaaaa Clerics turning to stone is just a problem with the piping...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

As seems to have been spotted by a couple of people here already, I’m reading two loopholes within the blue barrier rules as given in the comic. I read the conditions as: anyone violating dwarven law is instantly turned into stone until the meeting is formally adjourned, and casting any spell on any creature is against dwarven law. Now assuming the spell casting is instant, and you don’t mind waiting out the meeting in stone form, I don’t see it written that the spell is actually prevented from taking effect (obviously if it takes longer to cast, being turned to stone sort-of hampers the finishing of the spell casting). Second potential loophole: creatures may not be targeted, but dispel magic lists three ‘targeted dispel’ options. The other two are objects, and spells. Therefore, what’s to stop the dominate gaze attack, (treated as the dominate person spell once in effect), being specifically targeted with dispel magic?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, in that case, there's a very easy way around it.

1) Summon an earth elemental (doesn't target the council, so not a violation)
    2) Order it to attack everyone else (speaking is not a violation)
    3) Have a nice cold pint and wait for everything to blow over

There are, presumably, other laws that would stop it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oxenstierna View Post
    As seems to have been spotted by a couple of people here already, I’m reading two loopholes within the blue barrier rules as given in the comic. I read the conditions as: anyone violating dwarven law is instantly turned into stone until the meeting is formally adjourned, and casting any spell on any creature is against dwarven law. Now assuming the spell casting is instant, and you don’t mind waiting out the meeting in stone form, I don’t see it written that the spell is actually prevented from taking effect (obviously if it takes longer to cast, being turned to stone sort-of hampers the finishing of the spell casting). Second potential loophole: creatures may not be targeted, but dispel magic lists three ‘targeted dispel’ options. The other two are objects, and spells. Therefore, what’s to stop the dominate gaze attack, (treated as the dominate person spell once in effect), being specifically targeted with dispel magic?
    One problem with the "instant spellcasting" assumption:

It isn't.

Counterspelling is a thing, and for counterspelling to work, you need to be able to instantly recognize the spell being cast and start casting your own before it's finished. If your spell can be interrupted by a mortal spellcaster, then it can probably be interrupted by ancient dwarven magics layered onto the defenses of, at the time, the most important building in the kingdom.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oxenstierna View Post
    Casting any spell ON THE COUNCIL is aganist the law.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Casting any spell ON THE COUNCIL is aganist the law.
    "But they do explicitly forbid attacking or using any spell or supernatural ability on any creature during a council meeting."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    One problem with the "instant spellcasting" assumption:

It isn't.

Counterspelling is a thing
    That makes sense. I guess it rules out the ‘cast and be damned’ option, unless you get into counterspelling the petrification... it does underline that objects and potentially spells could still be targeted rather than creatures. Keeping within the laws as given so far.

To be honest, regardless of the attempts of every spellcaster in almost every D&D session :) I don’t expect this situation to be resolved with a handy spell. It’s just not very satisfying as narrative except as a punchline.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenius View Post
    Well, in that case, there's a very easy way around it.

1) Summon an earth elemental (doesn't target the council, so not a violation)
    2) Order it to attack everyone else (speaking is not a violation)
    3) Have a nice cold pint and wait for everything to blow over

There are, presumably, other laws that would stop it.
    Conspiracy to commit murder/assault
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

24. - Top - End - #24

And the earth elemental will be petrified immediately, turning it into a rather ugly statue.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Casting any spell during the council meeting is a violation. I don't expect the vote to be resolved by calling a recess and then casting all the necessary spells (that's a little too simple for such a dramatic moment), but I fully expect that afterwards the meeting will be adjourned and the vampires will cease to be protected by technicalities of dwarven law.

26. - Top - End - #26

I think the idea for several of these is to cast the spell in the Guard Circle before walking into the Blue Circle.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And the earth elemental will be petrified immediately, turning it into a rather ugly statue.
    The whole point of picking an earth elemental as your summon : they're immune to petrification.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

28. - Top - End - #28

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    The whole point of picking an earth elemental as your summon : they're immune to petrification.
    Maybe they change from stone to flesh?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Maybe they change from stone to flesh?
    They actually call us "flesh elementals": Little-known fact.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    No they aren't. Well, technically petrification works a paralyzation on them.