New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1190-1192 - The Multi-Strip Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Maturity isn't dressing the way some old traditionalist man tells you to, it's sticking it to anyone that demands conformity.
    "Sticking it to anyone who demands conformity" is still letting them influence your choices, though. Someone mature would not care* what another thinks of their choices as long as they fulfill their intended purpose and don't harm anyone.

Maturity is a lot of things to a lot of people. If I had to define it in a short sentence, though, I would say "The ability to do the right thing when it is the also the hard thing".

*Beyond listening to actual advices and objections of course. Sometimes your detractors have a point, one must never forget that.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    "Sticking it to anyone who demands conformity" is still letting them influence your choices, though. Someone mature would not care* what another thinks of their choices as long as they fulfill their intended purpose and don't harm anyone.

Maturity is a lot of things to a lot of people. If I had to define it in a short sentence, though, I would say "The ability to do the right thing when it is the also the hard thing".

*Beyond listening to actual advices and objections of course. Sometimes your detractors have a point, one must never forget that.
    Fair, fair, but you got my point. Basically, Durkon isn't exactly the kind of person to give Julia sumptuary advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Fair, fair, but you got my point. Basically, Durkon isn't exactly the kind of person to give Julia sumptuary advice.
    I think he is, but at the time the writer wasn't.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think he is, but at the time the writer wasn't.
    More or less. Durkon still needed to outgrow the insanely traditionalistic values he held at the time.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

More or less. Durkon still needed to outgrow the insanely traditionalistic values he held at the time.
    While it is somewhat easy to forget, Julia was a teenager, at least at the time of the strip (and probably still is). And Durkon definitely wasn't telling her off for the way she dressed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

If [Eugene], the man who didn't want his own son to go to Celestia, gets to enter the pearly gates, so does Julia once she passes.
    If you are talking bout his tantrum when Roy got the go-ahead to enter Celestia that had nothing to do about him wanting to deny Roy entry and everything to do with the fact that they had arrived with the same circumstances(an unfulfilled blood-oath) yet somehow it "wasn't a problem" for Roy's case. As the deva later clarified they didn't have the same circumstances since Roy was working on fulfilling it, but he didn't think of that at the time.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Hehe, I like the idea of Belkar ascending to a sexy shoeless god of war.

I had another idea too, looking at this comic... cause you know, apparently colors are VERY important.

Remember how the Northern gods are yellow, the Southern gods are blue, the Western gods are red, and the Eastern gods which are no more were green... Do you think Roy and his family could wield the Green Quidity?

(and also, yeah, this totally means the dark one related to the snarl somehow!)
    This has been discussed before - this isn’t quidity. Lots of magic has colours for thematic effect
    Thus Durkon wielding white spells vs various undead wielding black spells. Notice how there’s no quidity of those colours.
    Coloured quidity is a perceptional filter for mortals to tell the difference between flavours of divine power.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    While it is somewhat easy to forget, Julia was a teenager, at least at the time of the strip (and probably still is). And Durkon definitely wasn't telling her off for the way she dressed.
    Then why would her new clothes be in any way related to Durkon's scolding? To be sure, she wasn't exactly so much hitting on him as trying to get his attention in a high-stakes situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post
    If you are talking bout his tantrum when Roy got the go-ahead to enter Celestia that had nothing to do about him wanting to deny Roy entry and everything to do with the fact that they had arrived with the same circumstances(an unfulfilled blood-oath) yet somehow it "wasn't a problem" for Roy's case. As the deva later clarified they didn't have the same circumstances since Roy was working on fulfilling it, but he didn't think of that at the time.
    He had a lot of time to think of it. That's very much on him, really. Besides, after hearing the explanation, he should have shown relief that he hadn't bound his son's soul, not whined that it "wasn't fair". Eugene is a terrible person.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-02-23 at 03:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eugene is a terrible person.
    Eugene might be a terrible father, but the literal beings of Law and Good seem to think he's a good enough person to get into Celestia (upon the completion of his Blood Oath, obviously).

While some bad fathers are bad people, this is not always the case; if his estranged wife is willing to give him some benefit of the doubt for his character flaws, then so am I.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Then why would her new clothes be in any way related to Durkon's scolding? To be sure, she wasn't exactly so much hitting on him as trying to get his attention in a high-stakes situation.
    She claims to have done it on her teachers as well. And I didn't say that it was related to her clothes
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    Eugene might be a terrible father, but the literal beings of Law and Good seem to think he's a good enough person to get into Celestia (upon the completion of his Blood Oath, obviously).

While some bad fathers are bad people, this is not always the case; if his estranged wife is willing to give him some benefit of the doubt for his character flaws, then so am I.
    Remember that it seems like Eugene will be judged by the deva desk lady upon completion of the blood oath. The same deva secretary, mind you, that saw some of his post-mortem antics and that will likely find out about the time he covered up V's soul timeshare agreement. I wouldn't bet too much on him being granted entry. Then again, this is a setting with paladins that do, in fact, get to remain being Lawful Good (enough to be Paladins!) after, and I paraphrase, decades of a genocidal campaign. So, the bar for Good (or Neutral, for that matter) may well be quite lower.

She claims to have done it on her teachers as well. And I didn't say that it was related to her clothes
    Well, then we don't really know that she matured, as the only person that she was interacting with - and then only via a spell - at this time and, thus, the only person she could theoretically attempt to, erm, tantalize was her brother.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-02-23 at 03:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

While I wouldn't call him a terrible (read: Evil) person, I'm not convinced that Eugene would pass a review to get into Celestia, the man has always been a jerk with minimal respect for Law and, especially post death, has seemed to not care much for any morality, his views on most issues more in line with V (pre-BRitF) than anyone else, including praising some of their worst actions and advocating for the destruction of the world (and everyone on it) for the sole reason of it helping him get into Celestia.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Remember that it seems like Eugene will be judged by the deva desk lady upon completion of the blood oath. The same deva secretary, mind you, that saw some of his post-mortem antics and that will likely find out about the time he covered up V's soul timeshare agreement. I wouldn't bet too much on him being granted entry. Then again, this is a setting with paladins that do, in fact, get to remain being Lawful Good (enough to be Paladins!) after, and I paraphrase, decades of a genocidal campaign. So, the bar for Good (or Neutral, for that matter) may well be quite lower.
    Per Rich, we cant make any assumptions about any given paladin falling or not falling. The Plan is pretty decidedly evil and dangerous. Redcloak and those who willingly buy into his agenda, likewise. Proactively hunting them is not, inherently, a bad thing. If a given paladin crosses the line in some other way while trying to follow that goal, that's on them and them alone, not all the other paladins simply for their proximity. We don't see it happen (or not happen) on screen for storytelling reasons, not worldbuilding reasons.

Well, then we don't really know that she matured, as the only person that she was interacting with - and then only via a spell - at this time and, thus, the only person she could theoretically attempt to, erm, tantalize was her brother.
    I'd be willing to bet that she took Durkon's words to heart, but based on the seriousness she treated him alone with rather than because of the way she dressed then versus now. I also really don't want to discuss her behavior in any detail. I just wanted to point out that the context which Durkon was aware of made it pretty definitely problematic regardless of his beliefs outside that context.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Per Rich, we cant make any assumptions about any given paladin falling or not falling. The Plan is pretty decidedly evil and dangerous. Redcloak and those who willingly buy into his agenda, likewise. Proactively hunting them is not, inherently, a bad thing. If a given paladin crosses the line in some other way while trying to follow that goal, that's on them and them alone, not all the other paladins simply for their proximity. We don't see it happen (or not happen) on screen for storytelling reasons, not worldbuilding reasons.
    Canvassing the goblin areas in search of the Red Cloak is fine. Slaughtering civilians in search of the Red Cloak is not. Regardless, there are hack-and-slash type paladins, which may well mean that Good in the world isn't that high a bar.

I'd be willing to bet that she took Durkon's words to heart, but based on the seriousness she treated him alone with rather than because of the way she dressed then versus now. I also really don't want to discuss her behavior in any detail. I just wanted to point out that the context which Durkon was aware of made it pretty definitely problematic regardless of his beliefs outside that context.
    Eh, in her defense, if I felt the need to alert someone powerful about a given situation in which my life was at stake, I might well undress or float the possibility so as to tempt someone into paying attention. I wouldn't do so just for grades, to be sure.

Of course, I am 5'4" and weigh about 200 pounds, quite a bit of it fat, so...

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    I guess Julia's now up to 5th or 7th level, depending on whether she managed to reduce Sending one or two levels. I always had the idea that ___ college would graduate fresh new 1st-level characters, but this would square better with how Roy began his career, somewhere toward the beginning of mid-level.
    That's always been a hazy thing in D&D (of any edition.) Sometimes being 1st level means you are already a somewhat experienced adventurer, at least in a world building sense, sometimes it means you are a wet behind the ears nobody.

I loved the fakeout with the Snarl turning out to be just an innocent (?) ball of string.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Canvassing the goblin areas in search of the Red Cloak is fine. Slaughtering civilians in search of the Red Cloak is not. Regardless, there are hack-and-slash type paladins, which may well mean that Good in the world isn't that high a bar.
    I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with any of this, simply pointing out that we cant truthfully say that Good allows that kind of behavior. Also, all paladins are, to a point, hack-and-slash types. Its literally what they exist for. If you need somebody to lead a spiritual flock or solve a non-violent problem, call a cleric. A paladin will, of course, do their best if theyre the only ones available, but theyre specifically trained and recruited for the situations when justice needs a sword.

Eh, in her defense, if I felt the need to alert someone powerful about a given situation in which my life was at stake, I might well undress or float the possibility so as to tempt someone into paying attention. I wouldn't do so just for grades, to be sure.

Of course, I am 5'4" and weigh about 200 pounds, quite a bit of it fat, so...
    I would certainly judge Durkon significantly more harshly than Julia had he responded to that of all things.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I would certainly judge Durkon significantly more harshly than Julia had he responded to that of all things.
    So would I.

Well, with regards to Julia, at least.

With regards to myself I would likely go "Really? That worked?" and then explain to him that I'm just not that into him.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-02-23 at 04:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

He had a lot of time to think of it.
    No... He had the time from being told that Roy would get to enter to think about it. Before then he probably assumed the oath worked as a simple binary control: either Xykon was vanquished and the blood oath wouldn't be a problem, or he wasn't and he wouldn't get in. And since he describes after-life as an oath spirit as nothing but watching the living or hooking up with other oath-spirits I doubt he had many interactions that would tip off that it wasn't a binary control.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post
    No... He had the time from being told that Roy would get to enter to think about it. Before then he probably assumed the oath worked as a simple binary control: either Xykon was vanquished and the blood oath wouldn't be a problem, or he wasn't and he wouldn't get in. And since he describes after-life as an oath spirit as nothing but watching the living or hooking up with other oath-spirits I doubt he had many interactions that would tip off that it wasn't a binary control.
    Not really. He seemingly could have interactions with other devas, to whom he might have asked. Remember, he tied up one of them to go pretend to be the being of pure law and goodness and whatever.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not really. He seemingly could have interactions with other devas, to whom he might have asked. Remember, he tied up one of them to go pretend to be the being of pure law and goodness and whatever.
    He thought he knew how it worked already. Why would he ask about that?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

He thought he knew how it worked already. Why would he ask about that?
    Well, WIS is a popular dump stat for Wizards...

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, WIS is a popular dump stat for Wizards...
    That... doesn't really answer my question. If anything, a low wis makes it more likely that he wouldn't question his assumptions.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That... doesn't really answer my question. If anything, a low wis makes it more likely that he wouldn't question his assumptions.
    No, no, I'm agreeing with you on that.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, no, I'm agreeing with you on that.
    Ah, that would do it.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Ah, that would do it.
    Yeah, I know. We did just bring about the endtimes by agreeing, though. Ah well. Popcorn?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    While I wouldn't call him a terrible (read: Evil) person, I'm not convinced that Eugene would pass a review to get into Celestia, the man has always been a jerk with minimal respect for Law and, especially post death, has seemed to not care much for any morality
    Eugene was, what, seventy-odd when he finally died? And of all that time we've seen a few minutes of what he did while he was alive, and maybe a little bit more of what he did post-mortem. I think it's rather unfair to base your opinion of his entire life on those few snippets. I'm pretty sure there's also a strip (I forget which one) where Roy says something like "Damn you!" to his father, and Roy's Archon says, "We're beyond the point where that's realistically possible" or words to that effect--which implies that anything Eugene does while hanging around on the cloud doesn't affect his final afterlife destination.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Eugene was, what, seventy-odd when he finally died? And of all that time we've seen a few minutes of what he did while he was alive, and maybe a little bit more of what he did post-mortem. I think it's rather unfair to base your opinion of his entire life on those few snippets. I'm pretty sure there's also a strip (I forget which one) where Roy says something like "Damn you!" to his father, and Roy's Archon says, "We're beyond the point where that's realistically possible" or words to that effect--which implies that anything Eugene does while hanging around on the cloud doesn't affect his final afterlife destination.
    Really? Aww, man...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How did the saying go again...

Intelligence is knowing that tomatoes are fruit.
    Wisdom is understanding they don't belong into a fruit salad.

Eugene definitely has the first part down.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    How did the saying go again...

Intelligence is knowing that tomatoes are fruit.
    Wisdom is understanding they don't belong into a fruit salad.

Eugene definitely has the first part down.
    *Jots down a recipe of salad involving tomato, limes, cucumber, chili peppers, olives and avocados.*

There. Tomato, well-used, in a fruit salad.

Glory to the Chaotics.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-02-23 at 05:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The devas might've been busy and/or unwilling to provide answers. They might also not have been busy and willing to provide answers. We honestly cannot say since we have no strips with Eugene alone in the afterlife.

That could just mean Eugene has been Good and Lawful enough that any plane which could be considered damnation is unrealistic for him. He might still not end up in Celestia, he might end up in Lawful Neutral or Neutral Good afterlife.

And if the scene where Eugene told Roy that he won't get to enter either way so a review of his life was pointless at this point, something Roy relayed to the deva, is any indication, I would not go about assuming things not explicitly stated. The deva could at that point immediately said that "Oh, no need to worry about that, the circumstances of your death shows your commitment to the blood oath", yet instead she chose to not refute Roy's belief in why he thought the review was pointless. Such sneaky language leads me to believe they could've chosen not to correct one of Eugene's assumptions in the past, even if they knew the assumption was wrong.