New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    This isn't a body image thing, I objectively do not look good in a shirt.

This isn't an "I have a minor weight problem or a few stretch marks" thing, this is...

Look, part of the reason I would kill to get access to something like the Infinity Formula or the Super Soldier Serum is becuase it's the only way I can fix this sack of bad genes and bad decisions without destroying some other part of my body.

Well, weight training but there's not exactly a gym near by and I have neither the money nor the space for a set of weight training equipment.
    This is a mixture of body positivity and setting goals. You don't have to be a body builder, but you could almost certainly get to 'more confident' in a decade.

Although I thought that this was about not having said shirt on?

Looking good without a shirt is more about confidence than chiselled abs. Although FWIW the more chiselling has been going on the easier it is to have confidence.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yes, bt I'd be free of the tyranny of shirts
    Fair. Though, I'm not on that side of the equation. Shirts keep me warm, safe from the sun without glooping on way too much sunscreen (since I burn in approximately three seconds flat), and can have cool designs on them.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

This is a mixture of body positivity and setting goals. You don't have to be a body builder, but you could almost certainly get to 'more confident' in a decade.

Although I thought that this was about not having said shirt on?

Looking good without a shirt is more about confidence than chiselled abs. Although FWIW the more chiselling has been going on the easier it is to have confidence.
    1: That's a typo, you get what I meant.

2: Thi s isn't a confidence issue. This is "morbidly obese and covered in hair, stretch marks, and various small scars."

I could do Saitama's regimen for a decade—one hundred pushups, one hundred sit-ups, one hundred squats, and a ten-kilometer run, every day with no breaks, also three carefully balanced meals a day(just a banana in the morning is fine, but proper meals for lunch and dinner are essential) and never ever using the heater in the winter or the air conditioner in the summer—and assume that I haven't killed myself with stress or had to stop becuase I destroyed my joints I'm still not gonna look good without a shirt.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    (since I burn in approximately three seconds flat)
    Hey, I tan in three seconds flat! Twinsies! kind of.
    I could do Saitama's regimen for a decade—one hundred pushups, one hundred sit-ups, one hundred squats, and a ten-kilometer run, every day with no breaks, also three carefully balanced meals a day(just a banana in the morning is fine, but proper meals for lunch and dinner are essential) and never ever using the heater in the winter or the air conditioner in the summer—and assume that I haven't killed myself with stress or had to stop becuase I destroyed my joints I'm still not gonna look good without a shirt.
    I recommend against a fictional character's training regimen, mostly because the odds are remarkably low that they are informed by any actual health guidelines. Honestly, talking to a doctor would be the best bet, and for morbid obesity pool exercises tend to be fantastic since they take weight off the joints while still offering resistance (and many good gyms will have exercise pools that are not deeper than 4 feet).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Hey, I tan in three seconds flat! Twinsies! kind of.

I recommend against a fictional character's training regimen, mostly because the odds are remarkably low that they are informed by any actual health guidelines. Honestly, talking to a doctor would be the best bet, and for morbid obesity pool exercises tend to be fantastic since they take weight off the joints while still offering resistance (and many good gyms will have exercise pools that are not deeper than 4 feet).
    Actually, Saitama's regimen is intense but otherwise pretty basic. If your body can handle it, it'll work. You won't get results anything like his, but even in-story it's pointed out that exercise doesn't work that way and there must be some other source of his powers that he's not aware of.

Nick "Lanipator" Landis has a series of vids on his personal channel where he experiments with the "Saitama" work out for 100 days as part of his personal resolution to get in shape and it seems to have worked out pretty well for him.

Also, I think you missed the point: I could lose all the weight and put on muscle, but the damage is already done.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Actually, Saitama's regimen is intense but otherwise pretty basic. If your body can handle it, it'll work. You won't get results anything like his, but even in-story it's pointed out that exercise doesn't work that way and there must be some other source of his powers that he's not aware of.

Nick "Lanipator" Landis has a series of vids on his personal channel where he experiments with the "Saitama" work out for 100 days as part of his personal resolution to get in shape and it seems to have worked out pretty well for him.

Also, I think you missed the point: I could lose all the weight and put on muscle, but the damage is already done.
    I can almost guarantee I was more obese at my heaviest then you are now, and I have hopes to one day look decent with a shirt off. Women also regularly gain and lose large amounts of weight during childbirth, and I think we can all agree it isn't disfiguring. I think you are selling yourself short.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #277

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now

8. - Top - End - #278
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Well, weight training but there's not exactly a gym near by and I have neither the money nor the space for a set of weight training equipment.
    Dumbbells.

You can do an amazing amount of strength training with dumbbells. Actually, you can exercise every area with dumbbells. They're actually better than those machines that target certain areas, as the machines will over-strengthen some areas, while leaving you with really weak other areas, resulting in a greater chance of injury.

You can do so many different exercises with dumbbells, from sitting on your couch while watching TV, to full on squats and burpees, as well as combine it with cardio (such as walking or running).

You don't even need to buy them straight off. Start with water bottles or something.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Dumbbells.
    Well there's no need to insult me.

10. - Top - End - #280

Well there's no need to insult me.
    It's not an insult if it's true.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Dumbbells.

You can do an amazing amount of strength training with dumbbells. Actually, you can exercise every area with dumbbells. They're actually better than those machines that target certain areas, as the machines will over-strengthen some areas, while leaving you with really weak other areas, resulting in a greater chance of injury.

You can do so many different exercises with dumbbells, from sitting on your couch while watching TV, to full on squats and burpees, as well as combine it with cardio (such as walking or running).

You don't even need to buy them straight off. Start with water bottles or something.
    A $1 gallon jug is 8.3 lbs full. A $3 home depot 5 gallon jug is 43.5 lbs full of water. Full of dirt and it weighs more still. It's pretty cheap to make some basic weights in a pinch.

12. - Top - End - #282

It's not an insult if it's true.
    Please. I'm fully automated and have voice control, I'm clearly a smartbell.

13. - Top - End - #283

Please. I'm fully automated and have voice control, I'm clearly a smartbell.
    Smart devices are the dumbest of all.

14. - Top - End - #284

Smart devices are the dumbest of all.
    Tell that to the missiles.

15. - Top - End - #285

Tell that to the missiles.
    Spoiler: They're a bit hit and miss
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    A $1 gallon jug is 8.3 lbs full. A $3 home depot 5 gallon jug is 43.5 lbs full of water. Full of dirt and it weighs more still. It's pretty cheap to make some basic weights in a pinch.
    A half gallon jug filled with water will be about four pounds, so probably a good starter. For figuring out the next step, just decide about what weight you want and remember that water is 'a pint a pound the world around'. And you can drink the water after a workout.

17. - Top - End - #287

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    For figuring out the next step, just decide about what weight you want and remember that water is 'a pint a pound the world around'.
    "A pint a pound the US around" would be more appropriate, because in Imperial units a pint is 568ml, which is actually about a pound and a quarter.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "A pint a pound the US around" would be more appropriate, because in Imperial units a pint is 568ml, which is actually about a pound and a quarter.
    Oh, bottled water seems kinda expensive

As for the superhero workout: yeah, it could work. But only if you already know what you are doing - doing a proper pushup requires a form, otherwise you end up with back/neck issues. Dumbbells are good idea - and you don't even have to buy equipment, you already have enough home.

Also: farmer's walk works miracles even at home. Add dumbbells (water bottles/jugs/pots). I'd suggest you look for videos on how to start working out - there are guys on youtube that can show you starting exercises which will make you ready for really working out. For example, you usually can't start with a pullup - trust me, while I am not morbidly obsese, I am obese and have the physical power of average 12 y/o. I used to do only a single one, jumping up and falling down immediately - and that does not work. You start with pulling towards a door frame while standing, then move to pulling on a table, etc. After a while, your weight goes slightly down, but your muscles get strong enough so your joints do not suffer all the punishment.

You can even turn it into an RPG - gamification works proper miracles with workouts. I prepared a short program - pen & paper - for my friend. He always started exercising but ended after a week or two, not going on. He tracked his exercises and gained XP, bonuses and grinded for rewards - he now exercises regularly. He only lacked the motivation to start.

By the way, I am extremely lazy when it comes to exercise, but I finally pushed myself beyond the "one pullup a day" - I can do a full set of pullups. You can do it too.

You can not undo the bad choices or the genes. But you can turn what you have into something better.

Also: two years ago I had manboobs and was really ashamed to take off my shirt, very self-conscious. At certain point me and my colleagues went rafting and most of them took off their shirt. So I decided not to care - and it works. After all, we are all human. Well, except for the mermaid...?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

19. - Top - End - #289

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now
    Yes, and that'd be good for general health, but aesthetically planting a new tree in front of a dilapidated house isn't going to improve property values by much.

This isn't a getting in shape thing, which is something I need and I hope to do, this is an aesthetic thing: I am never going to look good without a shirt. Not even if I get myself into perfect shape and stay there, becuase the damage is already done.

You ever seen Goldmember? At the end when Fat Bastard gets in shape, he feels better but he doesn't look better.

Right now, this conversation, is about looks. Not health.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

What I love about humankind is that looks are subjective.

No, you'll never be attractive for everyone. Nobody is. And the "standard" of beauty quickly disappears once you go offline and off media.

For example, I like scars. A lot. Not getting them (although a guy without a scar is no knight), but I find them strangely attractive on my SO. She likes my twice broken nose.

When you feel better, you "look" better.

To continue with your metaphor, there is a difference between a dilapidated house (due to disregard of its owner) and a house in rustic style (which the owner cares about a lot). And then there's people who love haunted houses...
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Gah! I have an unyielding hatred against imperial units. I mean, 12 inch is a foot, 3 feet is a yard and 1760 yards is a mile. There's just... no consistency. And a furlong!? WHARGLBARGHWARGHL

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    What I love about humankind is that looks are subjective.
    True, but usually when people talk about looks they either talk about what they personally find attractive or about what a given culture at a given time generally considers attractive. We may not be able to say that X is objectively attractive, but we can say culture Z around YYYY generally considered X attractive. It is often the larger context and our ability/inability to conform to certain beauty expectations and the practical consequences of such that are the real essence of these matters.*

*I don't mean to wade into the whole rater with/without shirt discussion here, only to make a note that a statement like 'looks are subjective' whilst well meaning and true, also tend to overlook the actual practical issues at hand.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Gah! I have an unyielding hatred against imperial units. I mean, 12 inch is a foot, 3 feet is a yard and 1760 yards is a mile. There's just... no consistency. And a furlong!? WHARGLBARGHWARGHL
    What's inconsistent about a distance ploughed by two oxen without a rest...? Let's discuss rods & chains!

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    True, but usually when people talk about looks they either talk about what they personally find attractive or about what a given culture at a given time generally considers attractive. We may not be able to say that X is objectively attractive, but we can say culture Z around YYYY generally considered X attractive. It is often the larger context and our ability/inability to conform to certain beauty expectations and the practical consequences of such that are the real essence of these matters.*

*I don't mean to wade into the whole rater with/without shirt discussion here, only to make a note that a statement like 'looks are subjective' whilst well meaning and true, also tend to overlook the actual practical issues at hand.
    Oh yes. And I agree that the current culture is so saturated by unattainable beauty standards of all kinds and sizes that it is impossible to conform completely . That is my approach on the way out: even if you did everything you could, were born with the best genes, ideal body of unlimited potential and worked every waking moment on achieving each of the standards our current culture requires, you would find soon that there is always the group that despises your looks and considers you unattractive.

However you look, there is always a group of people that will be attracted to you. Whatever size, shape, colour or even disfigurement. There is only one thing that can almost universally kill your attractiveness - and it is not a physical one.

Working to improve oneself a good thing and should be both encouraged and rewarded.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

I am never going to look good without a shirt. Not even if I get myself into perfect shape and stay there, becuase the damage is already done.
    I think we're generalising people's tastes here. There's almost certainly people who'd say you look good without a shirt now (and even if it's a small portion of the population, they still legitimately think that).

You ever seen Goldmember? At the end when Fat Bastard gets in shape, he feels better but he doesn't look better.
    Yeah, but the character didn't look that [ugly to begin with. Not attractive, but the character's appearance issues seemed to actually be more grooming related.

He went from 'kind of unattractive' to 'kind of unattractive'. So if we assume, like me, that you actually look fairly nice carrying extra weight (stretch marks and scars aside, but who knows, somebody might like them) then you'll still be attractive when you lose weight.

And honestly, we need more 'marked by life, whatever it is' people willing to show that off. Because yes, your body isn't perfect and has damage, but that does not that it can't look good.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

I've seen people with skin-grafts they needed due to severe burns and thought to myself "whoa, that looks neat!"

Admittedly, they were well-healed, but the point remains: there's no such thing as "objectively ugly"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes, and that'd be good for general health, but aesthetically planting a new tree in front of a dilapidated house isn't going to improve property values by much.

This isn't a getting in shape thing, which is something I need and I hope to do, this is an aesthetic thing: I am never going to look good without a shirt. Not even if I get myself into perfect shape and stay there, becuase the damage is already done.

Right now, this conversation, is about looks. Not health.
    The Naked Planes Ape isn't that attractive to begin with. Even movie stars pucked for their attractive features only look like that in their 20s, while on concoctions of drugs, working out with a trainer, shaved and scaped, with artificial bronzer and makeup covering their imperfections.

Without millions of dollars pumped into our appearance we all have skin blemishes, stretch marks, scars, hip dips and weird body hair and small penes and bald spots and crooked teeth.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    What's inconsistent about a distance ploughed by two oxen without a rest...? Let's discuss rods & chains!
    Must... resist... urge... to make... lewd... jokes...

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The Naked Planes Ape isn't that attractive to begin with. Even movie stars pucked for their attractive features only look like that in their 20s, while on concoctions of drugs, working out with a trainer, shaved and scaped, with artificial bronzer and makeup covering their imperfections.

Without millions of dollars pumped into our appearance we all have skin blemishes, stretch marks, scars, hip dips and weird body hair and small penes and bald spots and crooked teeth.
    As monkeys possessing delusions of intellect, humans are also very bad at predicting how others will react to their features. I'd actually wager that most people's ideal is actually not the commonly presented perfect image, and that the standard model is beauty is more a case of 'what most people are willing to admit looks alright' rather than 'the most popular traits'.

There is one person who thinks the fact that they eyes are misaligned is bad aesthetically. They post on this forum using a tiefling spellcaster avatar. Everybody else just doesn't care, and those who care about my eyes are more interested in the colour (blue-gold central heterochromia, uncommon but nowhere near as rare as true heterochromia).

I got my set of pedals today. Putting them together took me two hours, because I was certain that you had to take a bit off the pedals to secure them to the arms....

Show

28. - Top - End - #298

One other thing to consider, Rater. Not just past damage, but future damage from excess weight. For instance, because of the differences in surface area every pound of weight is six point something (call it 7) pounds on your knees. So every pound you can drop takes that much pressure off of your knees and thus reduces wear and damage. Maybe turn your focus from the damage you've already taken to reducing the damage you'll take in the hopefully plenteous years ahead of you.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

As monkeys possessing delusions of intellect, humans are also very bad at predicting how others will react to their features. I'd actually wager that most people's ideal is actually not the commonly presented perfect image, and that the standard model is beauty is more a case of 'what most people are willing to admit looks alright' rather than 'the most popular traits'.
    Can confirm. I feel like I am... mediocre at best, looks-wise, but apparently it works for a nonzero amount of people. You can be surprised at what people find attractive.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

30. - Top - End - #300

I am an introvert.

I'm not opposed to going out, but I need to come home and relax and I'd be fine just not leaving the house for months at a time.

It bugs me that some people refuse to believe that.

@Roger: We're not talking about health, we're talking about looking good without a shirt.

I know I need to get in shape and I'm trying to do my best to work on it with the means and opportunities available to me, but getting in shape is not going to make me look good without a shirt. If anything, the loose skin would look worse.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-02-11 at 12:16 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks