New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post 3.5 Serpent People for PCs (PEACH)

The Sserikon

The sserikon are not truly a race, for they do not breed true. Rather, they're the result of a yuan-ti throwback gene. Essentially, whatever snakelike blood in the human gene pool created the first yuan-ti still exists, but in a much more diluted form. The sserikon are the result of this throwback gene, and perhaps a thousand are born every year, with maybe a couple hundred surviving infanticide. They grow up on the fringes of society, living in the gutters and feeding off the homeless.

Personality: Most sserikon are malicious, forceful, and very sneaky, but above all they are practical. Most, save for the most vindictive, won't kill you because they are evil. They'll kill you for your clothes or your food, your weapons or your torches. If they actually engage in a social situation sserikon can be surprisingly, for lack of a better word, dapper. Engaging.

Physical Description: Sserikon are much too snakelike to pass off as humans without a serious disguise. Although their skin is typically skin colored their eyes are slitted like a snakes and they have patchy scales across their bodies. Most also have forked tongues, and all share the same large serpentine fangs.

Relations: The yuan-ti throwback gene that creates sserikon occurs only in humans, which ironically means sserikon have the worst relationships with humans out of all of the races. This is because sserikon are so universally rejected, not even recognized as a race (technically, they aren't). The yuan-ti usually don't pay attention to their "inferior" relatives, but a few sserikon have abandoned their lives to serve renegade yuan-ti (anathemas).

Alignment: Most sserikon are neutral evil. They will kill without qualms, and they don't have a particular code or anything resembling personal honor, but they don't rampage endlessly. A few neutral sserikon, treated relatively well by society, do exist, although good ones are all but unheard of.

Sserikon Lands: Sserikon grow up in human lands, and generally will live in the ghettoes and rooftops of large cities. They don't have their own lands, but since no more than a dozen sserion tend to gather at one time (since they can't create families) this is hardly an issue.

Religion: Sserikon will usually worship cult gods of the city they're in, although a few have turned their gaze upwards to gods like Hextor who they think will give them the strength to fight their way out of their position in society.

Adventurers: Sserikon adventure because they have no place in the normal, human cities they live in. They're throwbacks from another world, and adventuring helps them get back in touch with this world.

Sserikon Racial Traits
    +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution. Sserikon move like snakes, but have relatively frail builds.
    Medium. As medium creatures sserikon have no special bonuses or penalty related to size.
    Base Land Speed is 30 feet.
    Sserikon have the reptilian subtype.
    Bite: A sserikon has a natural bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage. It also transmits sserikon venom (see below) if a hit is inflicted.
    Sserikon Venom: Injury, DC (10 + 1/2 sserikon's HD + Constitution modifier), Initial Damage 1d4 Dex, Secondary damage Paralysis for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the sserikon's HD (minimum 1). This venom cannot be used for weapons unless the sserikon it was extracted from had the Concentrated Venom feat (see blow).
    Sserikon have a +2 racial bonus on all Bluff and Intimidate checks.
    Favored Class: Rogue (feel free to switch this out for any of the many Assassin base classes published by 3rd party entities. Otherwise, almost all NPC sserikon rogues will take levels as an assassin as soon as possible).
    Last edited by Empedocles; 2012-04-08 at 01:22 PM.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #2

Griffon

Default Re: 3.5 Serpent People for PCs (PEACH)

Perhaps bite to 1d6? Very powerful race, but I like it - essentially grants free at-will paralysis touch attack with d6 damage. The -2 con shunts them away from frontline for a while, but once they get some decent armour they'll be hard enough to hit that moving in with some assassin spells and concentrated venom shant be hard.

Maybe shunt paralysis to 1 round every 2 hd, min. 1.
    Last edited by chrisrawr; 2012-04-08 at 05:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Post Re: 3.5 Serpent People for PCs (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrawr View Post
    Perhaps bite to 1d6? Very powerful race, but I like it - essentially grants free at-will paralysis touch attack with d6 damage. The -2 con shunts them away from frontline for a while, but once they get some decent armour they'll be hard enough to hit that moving in with some assassin spells and concentrated venom shant be hard.

Maybe shunt paralysis to 1 round every 2 hd, min. 1.
    Will make both the suggested changes
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You say they're an engineered race (of sorts) -- does that mean that they have the Aberration type?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    You say they're an engineered race (of sorts) -- does that mean that they have the Aberration type?
    When do I say that they're engineered? The idea is that a couple of unlucky humans each year find themselves with snaky babies.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The save DC for the poison should be 10 + 1/2 HD + Constitution modifier. That's standard for poison and I see no reason to deviate from that norm. Your set up is very strange and result in a min DC of 11, which is not at all in sticking with the standard design of poisons.

Also, how does that racial poison equate to an "at-will paralysis touch attack?" It does absolutely nothing of the sort. In order to afflict someone with the poison you have to first hit with a Bite attack, which is definitely not a touch attack. Then, one minute later, the target has to fail it's saving throw against the secondary damage.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2012-04-08 at 11:28 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    When do I say that they're engineered? The idea is that a couple of unlucky humans each year find themselves with snaky babies.
    You're right, my bad.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    The save DC for the poison should be 10 + 1/2 HD + Constitution modifier. That's standard for poison and I see no reason to deviate from that norm. Your set up is very strange and result in a min DC of 11, which is not at all in sticking with the standard design of poisons.

Also, how does that racial poison equate to an "at-will paralysis touch attack?" It does absolutely nothing of the sort. In order to afflict someone with the poison you have to first hit with a Bite attack, which is definitely not a touch attack. Then, one minute later, the target has to fail it's saving throw against the secondary damage.
    Didn't know that. Thanks!

And, uh, yeah...not anything like an at-will touch attack...
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Why do you have that "minimum 1" part? No save DC in the game is written that way. Just get rid of it.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

10. - Top - End - #10

Why do you have that "minimum 1" part? No save DC in the game is written that way. Just get rid of it.
    If he has 1 HD I don't want the DC to be like 12.5...

ah nevermind. It's gone.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    If he has 1 HD I don't want the DC to be like 12.5...

ah nevermind. It's gone.
    Yeah, the default rule for that is round down. So if he's got 1 HD, the save is 10 + Con mod. The basic game engine's got you covered there, s'cool.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Yeah, the default rule for that is round down. So if he's got 1 HD, the save is 10 + Con mod. The basic game engine's got you covered there, s'cool.
    Good to know

Ok, changed the image to something that captured the flavor of the sserikon much better. Any broad feedback on the race? I'll admit it didn't come out as nicely as I hoped, but I think it's workable.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread