New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Part Time Scholar, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization [Fighter] feats

Part Time Scholar [Fighter]
    Requirements: Knowledge (Any 3) 5 ranks, BAB +12
    Benefits: You use your intelligence modifier (in place of strength) for attack and damage rolls. In addition you treat all knowledge skills as class skills and gain 4 skill points per level that can only be spent on knowledge skills.

Weapon Focus [Fighter]
    Requirements: BAB +4
    Benefits: You add ¼ your BAB to all attack rolls with your chosen weapon.
    Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.
    Weapon Specialization [Fighter]
    Requirements: Weapon Focus, BAB +6
    Benefits: You add ¼ your BAB to all damage rolls with your chosen weapon.
    Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.
    Note: At first I did not have part time scholar, instead I had weapon focus/specialization give 1/4 BAB+Int, but think it works better like this.
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-10 at 09:40 AM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Part Time Scholar, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization [Fighter] feats

Part-Time Scholar - awesome effect, convoluted prerequisites. It'd be broken if it's too easy to get (every wizard would take it at 1st level), but as it is you need some sort of twisted gish build to access it (one that can survive to at least 12th level with high Int, and that needs Str/Dex high enough to survive in melee to that level yet still benefits from replacing them with Int at that point..?).

Weapon Focus/Scholar - good buffs.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Part Time Scholar, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization [Fighter] feats

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Part-Time Scholar - awesome effect, convoluted prerequisites. It'd be broken if it's too easy to get (every wizard would take it at 1st level), but as it is you need some sort of twisted gish build to access it (one that can survive to at least 12th level with high Int, and that needs Str/Dex high enough to survive in melee to that level yet still benefits from replacing them with Int at that point..?).
    Yeah... maybe just make it ~3rd, but not apply to touch attacks? Think that cuts out most wizard abuses pretty easy... Of course if you have the ability to make touch attacks with a melee weapon... . i guess I could work it into weapon focus and weapon specialization like it was:
    Weapon Focus/specialization: 1/4 BAB+Int
    Weapon Focus/Scholar - good buffs.
    Yeah, the originals were... depressing?

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It looks like you're doing a whole lot of feats in a very short time. Have you considered consolidating them into one thread for easier reading?
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by aimlessPolymath View Post
    It looks like you're doing a whole lot of feats in a very short time. Have you considered consolidating them into one thread for easier reading?
    Yeah, I should have, but I was tired and didn't think about ti, my apologies. (I wrote all those last night, and stayed up pretty late for... other reasons ) I'll keep it in mind in the future though, sorry!

Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Fair enough. I'll echo a comment on one of the other threads and say that the requirement for the Int feat probably doesn't need an Int prereq, since only a very very narrow group will qualify and not want it. Also the BAB prereq looks like a typo?
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd drop the BAB requirement on Part Time Scholar. One's martial prowess should have no bearings on one's ability to acquire education.
    You could up the requirement to [6 ranks x 3]. That way you'd reach a similar result w/o it seeming odd.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Part Time Fighter: This should be available at level 1 to fighters with 15 or higher Int, or 17 or higher if you wanna be really stringent. It needs no other prerequisites beyond fighter levels (Fighters just flat out should have at least 4 skill points each level to spend.)

Weapon Specialization should give a higher bonus than Weapon Focus, as +1 attack is worth about 2.3 damage last time I checked. (Could be wrong, haven't had a number friend for a while).
    Last edited by Knitifine; 2017-11-10 at 12:24 AM.
    Professional Sorcerer Advocate.

Winner of the Base Class Contest XXXX 'Happy Little Accidents'
    Winning Entry: The Antiquarian (Artifacts, Options).
    Runner Up for Base Class Context XXXXI 'It's In Our Nature'
    Entry: The Egregore (Vermin Companion)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    I'd drop the BAB requirement on Part Time Scholar. One's martial prowess should have no bearings on one's ability to acquire education.
    You could up the requirement to [6 ranks x 3]. That way you'd reach a similar result w/o it seeming odd.
    You do realize this is to buff FIGHTERS and other Martial Types, right? Not Wizards?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    You do realize this is to buff FIGHTERS and other Martial Types, right? Not Wizards?
    Sure, but why force a fighter to wait until level 12 to start benefiting from it... and how would you explain the BAB requirement?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, but why force a fighter to wait until level 12 to start benefiting from it... and how would you explain the BAB requirement?
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post

And the wizard is a problem... I mean I guess I could say fighter 4 but I never did like straight out level requirements... Hmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlessPolymath View Post
    Fair enough. I'll echo a comment on one of the other threads and say that the requirement for the Int feat probably doesn't need an Int prereq, since only a very very narrow group will qualify and not want it. Also the BAB prereq looks like a typo?
    BAB is to stop wizards from getting it, removed int requirement
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitifine View Post
    Part Time Fighter: This should be available at level 1 to fighters with 15 or higher Int, or 17 or higher if you wanna be really stringent. It needs no other prerequisites beyond fighter levels (Fighters just flat out should have at least 4 skill points each level to spend.)
    Meh, I give everyone +2 per level which seems to be rather nice.
    Weapon Specialization should give a higher bonus than Weapon Focus, as +1 attack is worth about 2.3 damage last time I checked. (Could be wrong, haven't had a number friend for a while).
    You do realize if a level 1 fighter can get it that 2 level fighter dip just became very nice right? What would you suggest for weapon specialization? 1/3, 1/2?
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-10 at 09:41 AM.

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Thumbs up Re: Part Time Scholar, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization [Fighter] feats

Part time scholar still comes online way too late for it to be useful.

Spoiler: Solution
    Show
    Requirements: Knowledge (Any 3) 5 ranks, fighter level 3
    Benefits: You use your intelligence modifier (in place of strength) for attack and damage rolls. In addition you treat all knowledge skills as class skills and gain 4 skill points per level that can only be spent on knowledge skills.

As for the weapon focus/weapon specialization feats.

Show
    Weapon Focus [Fighter]
    Requirements: Fighter level 4th
    Benefits: You add 1/4 your fighter level to all attack rolls with your chosen weapon.

Requirements: Weapon Focus, Fighter level 6th
    Benefits: You add 1/2 your fighter level to all damage rolls with your chosen weapon.
    Professional Sorcerer Advocate.

Winner of the Base Class Contest XXXX 'Happy Little Accidents'
    Winning Entry: The Antiquarian (Artifacts, Options).
    Runner Up for Base Class Context XXXXI 'It's In Our Nature'
    Entry: The Egregore (Vermin Companion)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Knitifine View Post
    Part time scholar still comes online way too late for it to be useful.

Show
    Requirements: Knowledge (Any 3) 5 ranks, fighter level 3

As for the weapon focus/weapon specialization feats.

Show
    Weapon Focus [Fighter]
    Requirements: Fighter level 4th
    Benefits: You add 1/4 your fighter level to all attack rolls with your chosen weapon.

Requirements: Weapon Focus, Fighter level 6th
    Benefits: You add 1/2 your fighter level to all damage rolls with your chosen weapon.
    I like your solution for part time, but would prefer that weapon focus and all worked off BAB instead of fighter levels.

EDIT: Although a 3 level dip seems really nice now... hmm...
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-11-10 at 10:24 PM.

Extended Signature