New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Reflavoring Arcane archer to be used with oil,acid,alchemist fire?

So would this be an issue to re flavor arcane archer as an arcane alchemist whom can add potency to alchemical items every so often?

Is their unforseen consequences other than kimda muddling what an arcane archer is, and lastly is this something you'd allow at your table

If it helps I'm asking as a player and before talking to dm I want other opinions because I don't wanna come off as asking for something broken

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Reflavoring Arcane archer to be used with oil,acid,alchemist fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuruke View Post
    So would this be an issue to re flavor arcane archer as an arcane alchemist whom can add potency to alchemical items every so often?

Is their unforseen consequences other than kimda muddling what an arcane archer is, and lastly is this something you'd allow at your table

If it helps I'm asking as a player and before talking to dm I want other opinions because I don't wanna come off as asking for something broken
    could you then lit on fire a bridge and have the spell cast on the whole bridge?
    What is hit is much more obscure when you start using burning area of effect weapons such as alchemist fire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    could you then lit on fire a bridge and have the spell cast on the whole bridge?
    What is hit is much more obscure when you start using burning area of effect weapons such as alchemist fire.
    Alchemist fire is just the enemy it hits

Oil burns in a 5 ft square
    And even then the arrows would only work on attack rolls

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Both of what you say is 100% false.
    It is true only for standard flasks of oil and alchemist fire.
    What happens if you attack the opponents with a siege trebuchet throwing giant bombs surrounded by vats of acid releasing a wave of acid would it cast the spell on all the people hit?(using a siege weapon would probably require an attack roll)
    If you say it is only for standard flasks what happens if I grab an opened barrel filled with standard flasks and raise it above my head and smash it downwards capturing two opponents?
    Getting a too generic arcane archer is a headache to rule around.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-04-28 at 04:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Both of what you say is 100% false.
    It is true only for standard flasks of oil and alchemist fire.
    What happens if you attack the opponents with a siege trebuchet throwing giant bombs surrounded by vats of acid releasing a wave of acid would it cast the spell on all the people hit?(using a siege weapon would probably require an attack roll)
    If you say it is only for standard flasks what happens if I grab an opened barrel filled with standard flasks and raise it above my head and smash it downwards capturing two opponents?
    Getting a too generic arcane archer is a headache to rule around.
    so your looking at it from a power game perspective and a munchkin perspective which neither of those examples are in the phb for normal oil and alchemy Any way

I am simply asking
    For replacing
    Shoot 1 arrow
    With throw 1 flask or vial