New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIV - We are the Geek Pantheon

On Elan's entry, strictly speaking, we know that he has 15 ranks in some Perform skill to use Song of Freedom, but it isn't necessarily in Strings. You don't need to use the form of performance you have ranks in to use a bardic music ability.

Realistically, of course, it probably doesn't matter, because he probably has both Strings and Singing maxed out (though we don't have proof of that).

And on the topic of Tarquin's arrow-catching, "behaved suboptimally" isn't a point against the epic-level explanation, because it applies equally to all explanations. No proposed explanation requires him to grab the arrows; no matter how it is that it's possible for him to do that, he had to choose to grab them (causing his fall from the airship). Thus, the fact that he made a suboptimal decision carries no weight whatsoever in determining how he did it.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And on the topic of Tarquin's arrow-catching, "behaved suboptimally" isn't a point against the epic-level explanation, because it applies equally to all explanations. No proposed explanation requires him to grab the arrows; no matter how it is that it's possible for him to do that, he had to choose to grab them (causing his fall from the airship). Thus, the fact that he made a suboptimal decision carries no weight whatsoever in determining how he did it.
    Oy vey, we're here again.
    Well, let's get to it.

To start off: I agree the camp that says ID is probably the best explanation. Low epic seems appropriate for Tarquin for me - Holy Word tells us we're at least within a few levels, and the fact that the Vector Legion forced the OOTS to flee despite being at a 3 to 5 disadvantage seems to back this up. This doesn't seem like enough (in and of itself) to definitively peg his level in this thread, but it also means that I don't generally see another explanation that requires him to be epic (like ID) as requiring extraordinary proof. (There is, at minimum, a significant number of other participants who disagree with me on that point).

That said, ID also has rules issues. In the last round of discussion on this, if memory serves, that point at least caused me to waver.
    Specifically, in addition to Tarquin not having a reason to catch arrows with Infinite Deflection in that situation, it also isn't clear that ID would give him the ability to do so. ID and Snatch Arrows both expand the options available from Deflect Arrows, but there isn't any actual indication that the two can be used together.
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2016-05-16 at 04:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    Oy vey, we're here again.
    Well, let's get to it.

To start off: I agree the camp that says ID is probably the best explanation. Low epic seems appropriate for Tarquin for me - Holy Word tells us we're at least within a few levels, and the fact that the Vector Legion forced the OOTS to flee despite being at a 3 to 5 disadvantage seems to back this up. This doesn't seem like enough (in and of itself) to definitively peg his level in this thread, but it also means that I don't generally see another explanation that requires him to be epic (like ID) as requiring extraordinary proof. (There is, at minimum, a significant number of other participants who disagree with me on that point).

That said, ID also has rules issues. In the last round of discussion on this, if memory serves, that point at least caused me to waver.
    Specifically, in addition to Tarquin not having a reason to catch arrows with Infinite Deflection in that situation, it also isn't clear that ID would give him the ability to do so. ID and Snatch Arrows both expand the options available from Deflect Arrows, but there isn't any actual indication that the two can be used together.
    Indeed. I hate myself for even contributing to this, but it could also be argued that the Gloves *require* grabbing the arrows.

Anyway, the point remains that its a tangled snare which can be reasonably interpreted a lot of different ways pointing to different optimal solutions. More data is required and I'm not at all sure we'll ever get it.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2016-05-16 at 04:43 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Anyway, the point remains that its a tangled snare which can be reasonably interpreted a lot of different ways pointing to different optimal solutions. More data is required and I'm not at all sure we'll ever get it.
    I'd go so far as to say we almost certainly won't.

But we're not [yet?] in the business of actually recreating the OOTS characters as NPCs to populate a campaign setting (though that'd be a nice project for after the comic ends). That would require a lot more extrapolation and guesswork than we're willing to do. Our goal remains the more modest cataloging of what we know.

5. - Top - End - #35

Aren't mushrooms considered plants? So wouldn't Red Cloak's ability to turn mushrooms/fungi into Xykon's soul thing require a high Knowledge (Nature)? Actually I suspect that's where his "Chemistry" knowledge comes from.

6. - Top - End - #36

ElfWarriorGuy

We'll see if she sticks around long enough to be worth noting, but it at least initially appears that Oona is a Beastmaster and 4th level or higher (for 2 animal companions).
    Last edited by Crusher; 2016-05-21 at 12:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just a minor point on Tarquin -

Shouldn't that dagger be noted as lost/removed from the list? ... granted, he probably has a dagger for every day of the month, but the dagger depicted ends up un-pleather'ed and in the hands of our favorite stabby Halfling.
    I like to art!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    We'll see if she sticks around long enough to be worth noting, but it at least initially appears that Oona is a Beastmaster and 4th level or higher (for 2 animal companions).
    Seventh level or higher if she's propositioning MitD to be her third (at least) companion.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Kurald,

Next time you are doing an update, you may want to update MitD's link to the new thread

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Aren't mushrooms considered plants? So wouldn't Red Cloak's ability to turn mushrooms/fungi into Xykon's soul thing require a high Knowledge (Nature)? Actually I suspect that's where his "Chemistry" knowledge comes from.
    Absolutely not. Fungus and Plant are entirely different kingdoms. They are as separate as animals and plants. That said, I'm pretty sure that Know (nature) covers them.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Absolutely not. Fungus and Plant are entirely different kingdoms. They are as separate as animals and plants.
    In fact, I believe these days fungi are considered closer to animals than they are to plants (as in, they branched off later than their protogroup branched off of the plants branch). This chart suggests that fungi and animals are closer to slime molds than they are to plants.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #42

That's unexpectedly cool. Today I learned.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think that fungi have animal cells for some things, and plant cells for others (or, to be more precise, animal-like and plant-like), but I really don't remember the details right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Absolutely not. Fungus and Plant are entirely different kingdoms. They are as separate as animals and plants. That said, I'm pretty sure that Know (nature) covers them.
    Are you quite sure Dark Matter wasn't talking about the monster type? Because, taxonomically incorrect though it might be, fungoid creatures are typically considered Plants (while actual fungi are probably considered Objects).

15. - Top - End - #45

Fungus:
    Type: Plant

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm

Which means RC needed Knowledge(Nature) to make Xykon's item, which also implies that his "Knowledge: Chemistry" is actually "Knowledge(Nature(Including Chemistry))" or something like that.

Note also that he spent a LOT of time in that swamp back in SOD where Knowledge:Nature would probably be highly useful.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Are you quite sure Dark Matter wasn't talking about the monster type?
    I was not. Also, good call, you're totally right.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quick question re: Durkon and Gregula, if Durkon's wisdom is 17-23, shouldn't Greg's be 19-25 (SRD: a vampire has the base creature's wisdom +2)? Just seems like a bit of an odd approach when similar thing done for Str and Dex, sure there's some reason it is the way it is that I've missed.

(Similarly, if Durkon's Charisma is <10, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that Greg's is <14?)
    Last edited by Mx56; 2016-05-21 at 11:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Seventh level or higher if she's propositioning MitD to be her third (at least) companion.
    Well, she might not actually be 7th level yet, merely expecting to be 7th level by the time MitD would agree to such a deal. Of course, she's probably a good bit higher than 4th level to have faced off against a pair of high-ish level paladins and won/lived, but we don't know that for sure yet.

19. - Top - End - #49

PaladinGuy

Should we update Xykon's level to 22+ because if he were only level 21 he could be controlled if Redcloak were to roll 22+ on his Command Undead check?

And in 830 Tsukiko is noted as having a ring which protects her against draining touch attacks (and maybe other undead effects).
    Last edited by Quartz; 2016-05-25 at 04:11 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

The ring was taken from her. Can we assume Redcloak still has it?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

21. - Top - End - #51

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    The ring was taken from her. Can we assume Redcloak still has it?
    Yes - his instructions to the undead were to give it to him.

And everything else in her possession, we can assume. But since she's listed at her peak, immediately before her demise, and not level-drained to oblivion, she should be listed with it.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Should we update Xykon's level to 22+ because if he were only level 21 he could be controlled if Redcloak were to roll 22+ on his Command Undead check?

And in 830 Tsukiko is noted as having a ring which protects her against draining touch attacks (and maybe other undead effects).
    Your link is broken.

23. - Top - End - #53

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Your link is broken.
    Fixed, thank you.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Xykon is listed as having an unknown crafting feat, while Redcloak has CWI listed due to the making of xykon's phylactery. Under 3.5 rules a lich has to make their own phylactery and the lich template lists CWI as one of the requirements. Shouldn't the CWI feat be moved to Xykon as there is more evidence that he has it rather than redcloak?

I know Redcloak helped in Start of Darkness, but that help was probably his knowledge and spellcasting ability.

25. - Top - End - #55

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos95 View Post
    Xykon is listed as having an unknown crafting feat, while Redcloak has CWI listed due to the making of xykon's phylactery.
    Wouldn't it be sneaky if Redcloak had his own phylactery? Lichdom doesn't take effect until you die the first time.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wouldn't it be sneaky if Redcloak had his own phylactery? Lichdom doesn't take effect until you die the first time.
    But can two characters use the same item as phylactery? Oo I guess not because it sounds so silly.

27. - Top - End - #57

Source?

Wheeeeeeeee!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wouldn't that be embarrassing, to find yourself with your boss in what he thought was his soul's private apartment.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    In fact, I believe these days fungi are considered closer to animals than they are to plants (as in, they branched off later than their protogroup branched off of the plants branch). This chart suggests that fungi and animals are closer to slime molds than they are to plants.

Grey Wolf

HA! Choke on this, vegetarians!

*runs for cover*
    The difference between Mace Windu and Miko Miyazaki:

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    It's one thing to take on a Sith Lord outside the law; bisecting an unarmed octogenarian is a little different.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In theory he could be a Lich-in-waiting, but the Crimson Mantle of the Dark One makes him effectively immortal(as mentioned in SoD, he hasn't aged since putting it on) so he has little reason to.