New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default What class would make for a grumpy old man.

My family calls me the grumpy old man. Even though I'm only 26 years old. And I find it funny and entertaining and usually respond by say **** ya I am. So this got me thinking of coming up with a character that's a grumpy mid age man. We're he's not to old to go Adventureing but should retire with in a decade or two. I have one idea on what class to go with on this. I would like to say away from the crazy old wizard trope plz.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: What class would make for a grumpy old man.

That character idea fits nearly any class. You could play a monk if you wanna go with the kung fu master type. A fighter to be the battle hardened veteran. The disillusioned paladin. The cleric of a merciless god. The pessimistic druid who's seen too much of humanity's cruelty. The rogue who can still show these young'uns how it's done. etc. etc.
    The designers obviously never spoke with one another

Red Flag master lists
    DMs: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=215
    Players: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=189

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

If not a wizard then a Paladin. With Cleric and expert being runners up. They both lend themselves to a "hmmph. young people these days with their ipods and their rock and roll music...world's going to hell" type mindset
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-05-20 at 01:54 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Barbarian: "You young whippersnappers don't know what it -really- means to be a Berserk. You'll never be a -real- Berserker if you don't learn to control your temper!"

Fighter: "Age and Cunning beat Young and Fast any day of the week."

Rogue: "Yeah, yeah, yeah. MOVE. I'll let you know when it's disarmed."

Druid/Ranger: "I've been guarding this land since before you were a twinkle in your Daddy's eye, boy!"

Paladin/Cleric: Just complain about how young people have no faith, don't read the books, and generally disrespect their elders.

You can do it with any class, really.
    Last edited by Steampunkette; 2017-05-20 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly the right answer is 'no class at all'. You're an NPC stat block.

"I remember back when your race was your class, you damned whippersnappers!"
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I've always imagined Dwarven Rogues to be pretty much the definition of this kind of personality. In fact, I remember back in 2E in the Complete Dwarves Handbook there was a personality for dwarves that was called The Grumbler. You weren't necessarily unhappy about doing whatever you were doing. But you wanted to make sure that people THOUGHT that you were unhappy doing it.

"Oh sure, I've got to be the one to pick the lock AGAIN."

"If any of you could sneak worth a damned, I wouldn't always have to be the one trying to get past the guards."

"Yeah yeah, I'll shoot the damned Giant with my crossbow and save the day yet again."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I have one idea on what class to go with on this. I would like to say away from the crazy old wizard trope plz.
    Sadly, Gnome Wizard was going to be my suggestion. I think you should instead go for the Warlock or Sorcerer, because they are the classes least tied to age. (The idea that sorcerers gain powers in puberty seems to have faded in this edition.) These two classes are not tied to either wisdom or intelligence, so this character is experienced in being a cankerous old coot who literally willpowes their way through everything. They aren't more knowledgeable or more trained then the rest of the party, just able to use their utter stubbornness to beat issues over the head with magic. BAH! Come back here and get blasted, whippersnappers!

Also, I get a real kick out of a grizzled warlock that after making a pact with fey looks at kids in a strange light. They have been surrounded by ageless beauty that makes them keenly aware of their own morality and failing body, who with a glance can make them feel more depreciated as the minutes go by or with a touch make it seem like they are young and strong again. These eternally young figures are also both wiser and more whimsical then the youngest or oldest of the group, with more knowledge then any mortal has the right to possess...Making these youngsters seem to both be in their prime and utterly ignorant of the world around them. They both envy and pity the younger folk, as they are corrupted reflections of their fey patron with their youth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I think there has been a huge failing to realize the true answer... Bard
    -one spell and its perfect

Viscous mockery
    -you are welcome

But if you needed more, your ability to teach the youngins is produced by your bardic inspiration.. or in this case old man wisdom

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

2nd Barbarian

Spry, old, grumpy, foul-mouthed guttertrash Thief would work too. You survive the slums by being cunning and the danger has kept you in good shape. You don't power through fights, you wait till guys are looking the other way and stick'em.

Battlemaster Archer is pretty fitting, life time with a bow & you can lay down trickshots

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

A Druid always telling people to stay the hell off the grass.

A Monk that regularly complains that everyone is in such a hurry and just needs to slow down and smell the roses (Tranquility perhaps?)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post
    I've always imagined Dwarven Rogues to be pretty much the definition of this kind of personality. In fact, I remember back in 2E in the Complete Dwarves Handbook there was a personality for dwarves that was called The Grumbler. You weren't necessarily unhappy about doing whatever you were doing. But you wanted to make sure that people THOUGHT that you were unhappy doing it.

"Oh sure, I've got to be the one to pick the lock AGAIN."

"If any of you could sneak worth a damned, I wouldn't always have to be the one trying to get past the guards."

"Yeah yeah, I'll shoot the damned Giant with my crossbow and save the day yet again."
    ...I totally need to draw up a dwarven rogue and use this.

This said, dwarves, depending on the setting, of course, seem to embody badass grumpy old men half the time. They don't like you, they're willing to tell you right to your face that they don't like you, but they'll still kick around anything that they want.

Let's see if I can pull out an age chart from somewhere... Ah, here we go. According to 3.5's PHB, Cleric, Druid, Monk and Wizard have the largest modifiers to the starting age of an adventurer. So those are probably the best classes for someone's who's feeling a bit put-off by all those youngsters whose classes take so much less training.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I should think the answer would be obvious: DM
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm just imagining a nature cleric or druid. "Get off my lawn... The whole world's my lawn."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    "I remember back when your race was your class, you damned whippersnappers!"

Well as a matter of fact.... Hilarious! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Barbarian: "You young whippersnappers don't know what it -really- means to be a Berserk. You'll never be a -real- Berserker if you don't learn to control your temper!"....
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    2nd Barbarian....

I could see that:
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Devil

2d8HP, dude, your Signature is way too big, tone it down son!

Warlock, pact of the bladeumbrella/walking stick Archfey, where the Archfey is his sentient lawn grass?
    Last edited by Vaz; 2017-05-20 at 07:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Desteplo View Post
    I think there has been a huge failing to realize the true answer... Bard
    -one spell and its perfect

Viscous mockery
    -you are welcome

But if you needed more, your ability to teach the youngins is produced by your bardic inspiration.. or in this case old man wisdom
    I was going to chime in with Wizard because they're the classics, a "Cohen the Barbarian" reference that 2D8HP beat me to, or a grizzled-veteran Battlemaster who's "too old for this $&#%"...but the bard idea really is perfect for it. Vicious Mockery can weaponize how much of an old coot you are, grumbling so hard about "dagnabbed whippersnappers" and "back in my day" that it can literally kill people, or at least hurt them a bit and mess with their attack rolls.

"Dagnabbed whippersnappers and yer fancy-schmancy proficiency bonus. Back in MY day, we THAC0'd and we liked it!"
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-05-20 at 07:33 PM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I say Druid. Eventually you can be grumpy forever (almost)! But be a Moon Druid, and be annoyed when you have to get into Wild Shape.

18. - Top - End - #18

OldWizardGuy

I'd go cleric for high wisdom and dump dexterity

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

That brings up a point. Would Dexterity or Charisma be a better dump stat for a grumpy old man?

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    That brings up a point. Would Dexterity or Charisma be a better dump stat for a grumpy old man?
    Good point! But I think there's a difference between rude and uncharasmatic. Intimidation and deception are based on charisma and neither required politeness

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've seen a barbarian 1/Druid X played as a grumpy old man to great effect. If they don't get off your lawn, you rage and turn into a bear.
    Custom Avatar by Ceika
    Spoiler: Me as a Character... and Planeswalker
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-17
    But I'd definitely multi-class Druid with those stats.

Spoiler: My D&D 5E Homebrews
    Show

Rolling for PC Stats = Always a stupid idea.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to be realistic about it, CON. You've got something that aches all the time (for example, your right foot with plantar fasciitis, or that scar on your left knee that bothers you every time the weaher changes) and it takes you longer to heal from any injuries than it did 30 years ago.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

...Would Dexterity or Charisma be a better dump stat for a grumpy old man?

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    If you want to be realistic about it, CON...

Since I can seldom resist the chance to bloviate about old D&D:

From the
    1979 Dungeons Masters Guide:

Race:
    Human;

Young Adult: (14-20) Subtract 1 point of wisdom, add 1 point of constitution.

Mature: (21-40) Add 1 point of Strength, add 1 point of wisdom.

Middle Aged: (41-60) Subtract 1 point (or half exceptional rating) of strength and 1 point of constitution; add 1 point of intelligence and1 point of wisdom.

Old: (61-90) Subtract 2 point of strength and 2 points of dexterity, and 1 point of constitution; add 1 point of wisdom.

Venerable: (91-120) Subtract 1 point of strength, 1 point of dexterity, and 1 point of constitution; add 1 point of intelligence and 1 point of wisdom.....

.....And that actually doesn't fit my lived experience (I'll be 49 next month).

I was at my most intelligent (ability to learn, remember, and solve puzzles) as a teenager, and in my early 20's, but I was at my least wise (self-control).

Wisdom increased dramatically after age 25, but intelligence started to drop as well.

Dexterity increased until my early 30's, and then starting dropping.

Constitution and Strength took a big hit after a job injury in my early 30's, and have held steady since.

Intelligence started dropping faster in my 40's, and I need much more sleep to keep my wits.

And I've seen peoples Wisdom drop dramatically after dementia hits them in their 70's.

I've seen others retain incredibly high stats into their 80's until the death of a spouse or a traffic accident starts a steep decline.

Peoples work and relationships look to make a dramatic difference in how fast you age.

If you're a beloved tenured professor you'll age much slower than a mostly solitary "human forklift".

No joke.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

I would vote for a monk, modeled on the turtle sage from dragon ball :-) as a bonus, at level 15 you get exemption from the maluses related to old age.
    Half Orc Paladin of Torm.

Torm is good! For Tooooorm!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

My family calls me the grumpy old man. Even though I'm only 26 years old. And I find it funny and entertaining and usually respond by say **** ya I am. So this got me thinking of coming up with a character that's a grumpy mid age man. We're he's not to old to go Adventureing but should retire with in a decade or two. I have one idea on what class to go with on this. I would like to say away from the crazy old wizard trope plz.

I'm not sure you know what a grumpy old man is, in order to play such a character trope.

But my vote is for once-retired Paladin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dappershire View Post
    I'm not sure you know what a grumpy old man is, in order to play such a character trope.

But my vote is for once-retired Paladin.
    I'm the young blood on the farm with everyone's else is 42, 59, 70, 68, and I think 60 something.you trust me you don't know a grumpy old man if you haven't worked or met a old horse farmer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone is saying Druid or Nature Cleric, but no one makes whippersnappers get off his lawn like a Warlock with repelling blast.
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz View Post
    Everyone is saying Druid or Nature Cleric, but no one makes whippersnappers get off his lawn like a Warlock with repelling blast.
    That's because there's a bit of a difference between making someone get off your lawn, and making someone make themselves get off your lawn.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

That's because there's a bit of a difference between making someone get off your lawn, and making someone make themselves get off your lawn.
    In some parts of the country, e.g., in the Appalachian mountains up a holler so deep you've got to pipe in the sunshine from elsewhere, making people "git off [your] land, dagnabbit" is sometimes done with a shotgun loaded with rock salt. Repelling Blast kinda fits.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Monks, Druids and Nature Clerics all have the ability to get very old without degenerating. So are good options.