New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

I wish the Foglios would remove all the bonus, extras and holiday specials from the archives, it really breaks immersion.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    I wish the Foglios would remove all the bonus, extras and holiday specials from the archives, it really breaks immersion.
    The paper-doll/Tailor-bot cutins and the 'We made a deck of cards, here's ten pages showing all the suits' ones are particularly bad.

3. - Top - End - #123

Post Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

That's what the PDFs are for!
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

4. - Top - End - #124

I wish they'd drop the cut out dolls and cards and replace them with the Jaeger comics from the back of...Volume 9 was it?

5. - Top - End - #125

AssassinGuy

now why doesn’t he look happier about going hunting?
    * my emphasis

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It appears that Martellus is happy with hunting things that can't fight back, or when he has a pack of his knights with him to help him fight.
    Unknown enemies who might very well be more than he can handle? That's scary.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

7. - Top - End - #127

This is very hard to connect with the Martellus who fought the body of the Storm King and showed no fear against Gil, the Other, and, as far as I remember, the Train. Maybe he's a reverse Lars -- Lars was scared of things in the past, Martellus of things in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    This is very hard to connect with the Martellus who fought the body of the Storm King and showed no fear against Gil, the Other, and, as far as I remember, the Train. Maybe he's a reverse Lars -- Lars was scared of things in the past, Martellus of things in the future?
    He thought he had the advantage over Gil because of his Sparkhounds. Against Andy he literally said "I don't plan on fighting fair!" and only fought one on one because he had too (Remember he had Andy poisoned before the fight but it didn't do any good.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

9. - Top - End - #129

AssassinGuy

he’s probably also not happy about being ordered around.
    * my emphasis

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Question: those extra books seem to be allusions to some titles for children, but I cannot quite catch specific references. Am I wrong, or can someone help me find the right ones?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

All I can think of is
    "Martellus! It's 5 PM, time to fight evil sparks and stuff!"
    "Yes honey"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Question: those extra books seem to be allusions to some titles for children, but I cannot quite catch specific references. Am I wrong, or can someone help me find the right ones?
    Big Book of Animals is a children's book which is exactly what it says on the tin. Moreau is from The Island of Dr. Moreau, a novel by H.G. Wells about a mad scientist creating human/animal hybrids.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a children's book about, well, a caterpillar who is very hungry.

Busy, Busy Empire appears to be a reference to Busy, Busy World. Another children's book, this one with stories about different people from around the world.

13. - Top - End - #133

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    It appears that Martellus is happy with hunting things that can't fight back, or when he has a pack of his knights with him to help him fight.
    Unknown enemies who might very well be more than he can handle? That's scary.
    Or maybe he does know. After all he was a student of Dr. Dim. The same guy whose motive in life appears to be wakening epic monsters and who seemed very familiar with the monsters under the sea.

Plus Martellus probably considers hunting on foot more to his liking than...
    • hunting while inside of a tin can,
    • surrounded by tons of water,
    • and with several of his enemies/rivals who are only working with him because they currently have too.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Colossus in the Playground

He was in the middle of a good proper rant about how much it sucks to be him right now and got the floor cut out from under him as he is about to get everything he currently wants.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Big Book of Animals is a children's book which is exactly what it says on the tin. Moreau is from The Island of Dr. Moreau, a novel by H.G. Wells about a mad scientist creating human/animal hybrids.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a children's book about, well, a caterpillar who is very hungry.

Busy, Busy Empire appears to be a reference to Busy, Busy World. Another children's book, this one with stories about different people from around the world.
    And to top it off, Forbidden Planet is a real fantasy bookstore/franchise that started off in Denmark Street, London. Named, of course, after the 1956 film. I first visited the London branch in New Oxford Street, and now it is down Seven Dials way.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #136

I just realized that the poisoned waters are probably connected to England sinking, so that you'll have to fix both problems at once.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post

Thank you! Just as with songs there is an irritating itch, if I cannot find the proper name.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He was in the middle of a good proper rant about how much it sucks to be him right now and got the floor cut out from under him as he is about to get everything he currently wants.
    And it is always the worst, when life is as good as it gets, right? ;) Also, he might want to join the chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    And to top it off, Forbidden Planet is a real fantasy bookstore/franchise that started off in Denmark Street, London. Named, of course, after the 1956 film. I first visited the London branch in New Oxford Street, and now it is down Seven Dials way.
    Foglio's always put so much attention to little off-hand background details.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I love how the bookstore's just openly trolling Tweedle.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I love how the bookstore's just openly trolling Tweedle.
    The bookstore or the dear sister Seffie.

20. - Top - End - #140

Beholder

The bookstore or the dear sister Seffie.
    At first I thought it was Albia trolling Tweedle. But you're right, it does make more sense for Seffie to be trolling him.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Also one on Broadway in New York City.

EDIT: Othar's Twitter has been getting updated lately. Three times in the past 2 days.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Othar somehow got dumped into the vaults of a Corbettite Monastery near Paris. And of course Othar blames Gil.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2020-10-05 at 03:44 PM.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #142

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    At first I thought it was Albia trolling Tweedle. But you're right, it does make more sense for Seffie to be trolling him.
    Look, it's Tweedle. So far as I can tell, everyone in the GGverse wants to troll him. It could be a group effort.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

23. - Top - End - #143

So, who would win: Othar or Tweedle? Othar is pretty much unkillable and has taken out a long string of mad-boys. Tweedle is also nigh-unkillable and is a first rate mad-boy who can give Gil a run for his money, and Gil can handily beat Othar senseless. On the other hand, Othar did do some marvelous sabotage of Castle Wulfenbach back in the day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    So, who would win: Othar or Tweedle? Othar is pretty much unkillable and has taken out a long string of mad-boys. Tweedle is also nigh-unkillable and is a first rate mad-boy who can give Gil a run for his money, and Gil can handily beat Othar senseless. On the other hand, Othar did do some marvelous sabotage of Castle Wulfenbach back in the day...
    Othar would wipe the floor with him.

25. - Top - End - #145

Yeah. Whatever else Othar may be (and I have a list), he's very good at taking down Mad'unz who've gotten a little too full of themselves.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Othar hands down. After all he is "Othar Tryggvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVETURER!" While Tweedle is just a pretender to the throne of the Stormking. No contest.

27. - Top - End - #147

Othar? He was defeated and captured by Grantz, and defeated by Gil and the Baron, and tricked by Agatha while he had a gun pointed to her face. Really, what does he do against the heavyweights, beside barging in, being defeated, and giving motivational speeches? His strength is being oddly wise once he gets to know people, like when he captured the Jager with a game of hangman.

However, Martellus wouldn't just throw him off a building or capture him, he would try to kill him for good, and THAT could trigger those hero survival powers and make him more dangerous.

At the same time, since Martellus is a public spark, and he is still alive, it's likely that Othar knows better than to try to go after him, or he already tried to kill him and failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #148

SamuraiGuy

I think both Othar and Martellus have too much plot armor to die; therefore, their epic throw-down would end with Othar experiencing something that ought to kill him, but doesn't, after opening a fairly large can of whoopin' on Martellus. In other words, the winner would be the audience.

It's WAY early, but I propose "Does the jungle have a wine list? It does not" for Girl Genius XXIX.

And I wonder if Agatha really left Martellus unsupervised in a lab for hours. Mini-clank spies? A Jager? Violetta?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I think both Othar and Martellus have too much plot armor to die; therefore, their epic throw-down would end with Othar experiencing something that ought to kill him, but doesn't, after opening a fairly large can of whoopin' on Martellus. In other words, the winner would be the audience.

It's WAY early, but I propose "Does the jungle have a wine list? It does not" for Girl Genius XXIX.

And I wonder if Agatha really left Martellus unsupervised in a lab for hours. Mini-clank spies? A Jager? Violetta?
    I suspect this is another salvo of the plot twist where Agatha falls for the "bad boy" and has anger sex with Martellus. Maybe due to the influence of Lucrezia, a side effect of his King's Touch, or just her Heterodyne blood, but we read too many stories of smart women falling for a really wrong guy and hurting the people who truly love them.

"I don't understand it, Zeetha. Gil loved me before he knew who I am. I know Martellus sees me like a common bauble and yet I am helpless when pressed against that massive chest!"

The hints are dropping like autumn leaves.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I suspect this is another salvo of the plot twist where Agatha falls for the "bad boy" and has anger sex with Martellus. Maybe due to the influence of Lucrezia, a side effect of his King's Touch, or just her Heterodyne blood, but we read too many stories of smart women falling for a really wrong guy and hurting the people who truly love them.

"I don't understand it, Zeetha. Gil loved me before he knew who I am. I know Martellus sees me like a common bauble and yet I am helpless when pressed against that massive chest!"

The hints are dropping like autumn leaves.
    Oh stars, I hope not. That's way too far overdone, and I don't want "yet another" anything that's been done millions of times, unless they're subverting it.

Edit: Besides, if Agatha is going to fall for anyone it's going to be Commander Rakethorn - at least she seems attracted to him. Tweedle has got to be way down her list.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2020-10-07 at 09:16 AM.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.