Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Clone etc.
    which is a possibility if:

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Doctor gets cloned in one of the later episodes, specifically in The Rebel Flesh and The Almost People. These episodes it has been revealed cover something quite similar to cloning It is this clone that dies...
    Last edited by GrlumpTheElder; 2011-04-26 at 02:42 PM.
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Clone etc.
    More of a cop out.

Dr. Who is all about the crazy paradoxes under the grand Moff. That and giving small children nightmares.

Why deny it?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    More of a cop out.

Dr. Who is all about the crazy paradoxes under the grand Moff. That and giving small children nightmares.

Why deny it?
    This; Also I think that the oldest doctor went back in time, shot himself so he could be in the background helping his younger self and drawing out the Silence. When he finds it out he pulls the plug on the paradox and bam, hes not dead anymore.
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2011-04-26 at 05:25 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

So we're not doing spoilers then, huh?

The shooter can't be River, because the River we see is already in jail and has already killed someone. But if the Astronaut is a younger River, then the River in the episode would already know what's going to happen, and the way she acted in the episode pretty much proves that isn't it.

However, one point I'd like to address. Just because the Doctor does die, doesn't mean Matt Smith has to be the last Doctor. I'd like to point to Silence in the Library. The Tenth Doctor meets River. He never meets her again as the Tenth Doctor. While they're catching up, she knows that he is an earlier regeneration, she also asks him if he's done the Crash of the Byzantium, which was the Eleventh Doctor. So why would she ask him that, knowing that he had regenerated before hand? Why would she be so surprised that this Doctor, who she has never met before, wouldn't know who she was?

Obviously there is something timey-wimey with Time Lords and regenerations and future versions. So the Doctor could very well just die there, even if he regenerates earlier. It doesn't fix the "the most important people in his life are Amy, Rory, River" issue. And really, the fact that he invited Canton Everret to his wake means that he had something planned other than dying.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    So we're not doing spoilers then, huh?

The shooter can't be River, because the River we see is already in jail and has already killed someone. But if the Astronaut is a younger River, then the River in the episode would already know what's going to happen, and the way she acted in the episode pretty much proves that isn't it.

However, one point I'd like to address. Just because the Doctor does die, doesn't mean Matt Smith has to be the last Doctor. I'd like to point to Silence in the Library. The Tenth Doctor meets River. He never meets her again as the Tenth Doctor. While they're catching up, she knows that he is an earlier regeneration, she also asks him if he's done the Crash of the Byzantium, which was the Eleventh Doctor. So why would she ask him that, knowing that he had regenerated before hand? Why would she be so surprised that this Doctor, who she has never met before, wouldn't know who she was?

Obviously there is something timey-wimey with Time Lords and regenerations and future versions. So the Doctor could very well just die there, even if he regenerates earlier. It doesn't fix the "the most important people in his life are Amy, Rory, River" issue. And really, the fact that he invited Canton Everret to his wake means that he had something planned other than dying.
    We probably should do this in spoilers but bleh.

I did think that River was a bit unfamiliar with spaceman to be the spaceman (and if she was, does that mean she wants to find herself and kill her so she can't kill the Doctor?)

I think in Silence in the Library, 10 was going to sacrifice himself and definitly acted like he could. River didn't want to loose the times she had with him so knocked him out and took his place.

The main problem with having a "Doctor Dies" story is that either it sticks and Doctor Who loses what has kept it alive or the Doctor weasles out of it somehow. I think it's kinda obvious which one happens.
    I'd also guess that either the doctor works(/ed) out whats going on so knows who he summons or something. I'm really bad at making my own theories.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    There should probably be spoilers until the latest episode is finished airing in all the major locations. After that, it is just too much trouble. There should be a warning though that people who haven't seen the latest episode shouldn't read.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    There should probably be spoilers until the latest episode is finished airing in all the major locations. After that, it is just too much trouble. There should be a warning though that people who haven't seen the latest episode shouldn't read.
    People stopped spoilering a page ago, kinda pointless now.

Edit: Out of curiosity where would one find the 'major locations' and said locations air times?
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2011-04-26 at 08:49 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    Edit: Out of curiosity where would one find the 'major locations' and said locations air times?
    Excellent questions. I suppose that would be the major English speaking countries, Britain, the US, Canada, and Australia. Not sure what the air times are.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post

People aren't forced to open the thread if they don't want to, I didn't see the episode until yesterday and was quite capable of not reading the thread. If you don't want spoilers then don't click a thread about a show you have t seen yet.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

People aren't forced to open the thread if they don't want to, I didn't see the episode until yesterday and was quite capable of not reading the thread. If you don't want spoilers then don't click a thread about a show you have t seen yet.
    A reasonable position, but a spoiler alert is always a good idea.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    A reasonable position, but a spoiler alert is always a good idea.
    Hopefully the OP or a mod will add it to the title/first post then.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm a little irritated about the spoilers as well... sth in the title might be useful if we go on like that for anyone new.

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Good point but River can still be the shooter if that's not the crime she was in jail for. It's probably the River we see right now (or a slightly older one, you get what I mean) if she is the shooter. Not saying she has to be it but she might since... wel who's there to charge her for killing the Doctor in 2011?

The last point is easily answered: Ten is the one she meets only once. On every encounter with Eleven he has already met her once or more often before so she just assumes he'd know her and is right. It doesn't work in the library even though she thinks she might meet him later she realizes she won't. This will be her last encounter with him and thus she will die soon. (Wow, I'm a bit shocked I only realize this now but I guess she knew what was going to happen to her at that very moment. Either that or I forgot. Shame on me either way.)
    As for the Byzantium... either she was a bit confused and assumed he'd be another incarnation or something. Can't remember everything right, can you?
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-04-27 at 04:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That works when everyone's talking about episode 1, but what happens when somebody wants to come in to the thread (having just seen episode 1 and wanting to talk about it) when other people have already seen and started discussing episode 2?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That works when everyone's talking about episode 1, but what happens when somebody wants to come in to the thread (having just seen episode 1 and wanting to talk about it) when other people have already seen and started discussing episode 2?
    They wait until they've caught up or accept that they'll get spoilers and live with it.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

As far as the Crash of the Byzantium goes... River knows that the Doctor is a different regeneration. She doesn't know that he's an earlier regeneration. Even if she'd only met Matt Smith up to that point, she still knew that he could become another Doctor, and may have assumed that Tennant was the twelfth Doctor, and not the Tenth. Once she realized he didn't remember the eleventh doctor stuff, she knew he was earlier, and that it was their first time.

That's my theory, anyway.

Of course, that means that if the man River killed was the Doctor, he regenerated. But I really think that's a red herring that Moffat is throwing at us. It's sort of too obvious to be the real choice.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Of course, that means that if the man River killed was the Doctor, he regenerated. But I really think that's a red herring that Moffat is throwing at us. It's sort of too obvious to be the real choice.
    Thank you.

I don't think it was river. However it was someone that The Doctor had previous experience with, as he seems to acknowledge what's about to happen right before the large boom.
    I am a Cleric Druid Warlock Ranger Wizard Psion Bard.... and my DM is evil.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think it's lame that river's timeline has been reduced from someone who the doctor meets at completely random points along their own personal timelines, to just moving in opposite directions. The original way it was presented is just so much more interesting, and they are really limiting themselves if future river episodes will only have younger versions of her.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really. We know that she lives (possibly) for at least another 200 years of the Doctor's life (perhaps). That's plenty of time for whacky, and zany adventures.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I think it's lame that river's timeline has been reduced from someone who the doctor meets at completely random points along their own personal timelines, to just moving in opposite directions. The original way it was presented is just so much more interesting, and they are really limiting themselves if future river episodes will only have younger versions of her.
    I don't remember how long the trading of events went this time. Is it possible that this meeting was relatively early for River, and at first (from her POV) they were going roughly backwards, but after this (again, her POV) the skipping around becomesmore frequent?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    As far as the Crash of the Byzantium goes... River knows that the Doctor is a different regeneration. She doesn't know that he's an earlier regeneration. Even if she'd only met Matt Smith up to that point, she still knew that he could become another Doctor, and may have assumed that Tennant was the twelfth Doctor, and not the Tenth. Once she realized he didn't remember the eleventh doctor stuff, she knew he was earlier, and that it was their first time.

That's my theory, anyway.

I disagree here, because one of the first thing she's says to him is "judging by your face, it's early years for you", and she has pictures of the Doctor in her book. She must have known he was the tenth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    It's still a little random, just the general trend is going in opposite directions. Remember, the second last time River and the Doctor meet, the Doctor takes her out in a way that's much more personal than a second meeting would be.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking forward to when the Eternal Dalek makes its next appearance. The current speculation is that its role is to run away when the Doctor comes knocking, ensuring that the dalek race survives for eternity. Or perhaps it could be the equivalent of the Cult of Skaro, imagining ways of ensuring eternal dalek supremacy.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Silver View Post
    Looking forward to when the Eternal Dalek makes its next appearance. The current speculation is that its role is to run away when the Doctor comes knocking, ensuring that the dalek race survives for eternity. Or perhaps it could be the equivalent of the Cult of Skaro, imagining ways of ensuring eternal dalek supremacy.
    His job is to give the new daleks shiny new paint jobs for all eternity and to provide any repairs to 'said paint job, making them look shiny, new, and power ranger-esque.

That's right, he's their "Doctor"

Now i need to hide before the pun police come a knocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    We get some hints of this In the episode
    Spoiler
    Show

When Old Doctor dies, Rory is the one who holds it together and starts asking questions. Amy just kind of breaks down, and River still takes it pretty hard despite knowing for sure that she will see the Doctor again (and being River Song, a woman so tough she makes Nails look weak). Rory holds it together, he's clearly shaken, but still okay. And when Young Doctor shows up he's more curious than furious.

Also, the Rory/Everett bit inside the Tardis was great. Say what you will about Rory, he's solid, sensible, and capable.

One of my favorites part of this episode was in the diner when Rory was poking (and pushing) the Doctor. It was an exact reversal of the scene from the Pandorica of the Doctor doing it to Roman Rory.

Also, River going into the tunnels. She says she likes screaming, and that's a spoiler.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

I think River probably knew Ten was an earlier incarnation, she just didn't know that was the first time they met. The Doctor has many off screen adventures (like Sherlock Holmes, when Watson throws out the names of random adventures) and it is heavily implied that he had more experiences with River offscreen (or will). The thing River talked about at the end of Silence of the Library, where he took her on some sort of wonderful last adventure (which she didn't know was last), may very well have been an offscreen adventure with the Tenth. We don't know, but I don't think River was confused about The Doctor's timeline, except insofar as when they would first meet.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

She said it was early years, but that doesn't mean pre-11. She could know many different versions of the Doctor and was trying to pin down where. By asking if they'd done the Byzantium yet, that was basically "Are you pre- or post-11?" 'Cause, technically, the 12th Doctor could still be early years if...say...she has run around with the 20th Doctor.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Just watched the first episode of the new series.

...WOW. Holy crap, those guys are scary. Also, awesome.

Not sure how Amy's pregnancy is relevant, though. Interesting plot point, don't get me wrong- now it's not just her life being risked by travelling with the Doctor, it's her kid's life too.

Also, according to the credits, they're called the Silent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #178
    Halfling in the Playground

The kid in the spacesuit is Amy's daughter, right? Maybe the Doctor sends her back in time to steal the regeneration energy of his future self so she can stay alive, and then she gives it back to him later?

Timey-wimey.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

I think he's trying to avert his death somehow, but apart from that, I am damm well assuming nothing.

Except I think these guys are the guys behind the whole 'Silence will fall' plotline.

...freaking hell. Most season endings don't have as many Wham Moments as this episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Except I think these guys are the guys behind the whole 'Silence will fall' plotline.
    Oooh, I think I forgot to mention it. Damn, well, at least I remembered before the second season. I pointed it out earlier, the gang is not going to prevent an invasion but start a revolution. Which means, they will bring about the fall of the silent. 'Silence will fall'... though, it seemed to be something threatening earlier, so maybe I'm just seeing epileptic trees.