New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

[Cliffside]

Okay, the painting was still very much imperfect, but she couldn't sit here any longer while Willa was getting killed.

"Now, strike!" She exclaims. "Sakratha-thuz-ga!" The spell wouldn't be as powerful as it would have been if she had more time, but now if Willa uses the boomerang, it will be guided towards the weakest spot of the gremlin, potentially killing it unless it can dodge or slap it away.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Aaron says "Do you know what the werewolf likes to eat? We could bait them into a trap where we could take them out from a distance.

((Description coming soon))
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Ravaged Village]

Guinness considers suggesting spelunking, having some cave experience, but it probably wouldn't mesh well with a sniper's talents. "There might have been two of them. We should be careful not to discount the possibility. It'd be just our bad case of running jelly." The last thing they need is to be sniping one while another catches them off guard. Though if it is as fast as they say, it might not need another pack member to pull that off.

Oh right. Introductions. "Greetings Garalatt. I'm Sergeant Guinness." Thank goodness that's over with.
    The man is clearly relieved that the company came. "Thank you for all of your help. I'll let you do your work. If you need anything just ask. The beast is in either of the two front eastern caves. I would recommend scouting that out." And with that, the two can get to work.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Elf View Post
    The man is clearly relieved that the company came. "Thank you for all of your help. I'll let you do your work. If you need anything just ask. The beast is in either of the two front eastern caves. I would recommend scouting that out." And with that, the two can get to work.
    "Do you know what the werewolf likes to eat?" says Aaron. "When he enters your encampment, does he go eat a specific animal first?"
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ravaged Village]

"Maybe it enjoys the taste of people. What's a camp of normal people and families doing out here anyways?" Guinness asks. It would make sense if a werewolf saw these campers as a light snack, but maybe they were stirring something up that a werewolf in these parts would also be interested in. Digging too deep as the case may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cliffside]

Willa doesn't need to be told twice. She takes the boomerang in one hand and launches it at the gremlin as hard as she can with a war cry.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungle

I'm thirsty.

The beast paused at the foreign thought. Or well, it wasn't exactly foreign. It was simply different. It was new. It couldn't quite recall when it had started thinking in terms of "I", but it certainly couldn't have been long. Even so, its fairly primitive mind sets it aside as it lumbers through the jungle until it finds a small stream. The cool water was painful to its scalding hot gullet, but such was the pain of being what it was. Eventually, after several moments of lapping up water, the beast lets out a small sigh that releases super-heated steam from the water it had just drank.

...I'm hungry.

With that thought in mind, the large beast started moving once more. Sniffing the air for food while leaving a trail of cleanly cut brush and saplings behind it, sliced by its tail.

(Closed Scene)
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2017-09-14 at 06:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

[Cliffside]

The boomerang hits the reeling gremlin, piercing deep into its amorphous flesh. The creature's body seems to bubble and boil, and an unbearable stench emanates from it. The gremlin twitches for a while, before becoming motionless. Its body becomes a gray lump, with four short, stunted limbs protruding from it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jungle]

The great beast's keen sense of smell, now that it's clear of the stream, will smell something approaching - it's the unmistakable smell of ozone, but without the metallic twang of machinery, suggesting another beast is in the vicinity, with power over electricity. And from the way the smell grows stronger, it's becoming clear that the creature is approaching at a leisurely pace. It won't be long before it swaggers out of the brush - a great green wolf the size of an elephant with forelimbs the size of tree trunks ending in vicious claws, golden plates of armor protruding from its body in various place and bony spikes jutting from its joints and back. It glows faintly - the ozone smell is almost overwhelming in its direct presence, and sparks of static electricity strike across its back at near random.

This is a creature that bears itself with utter confidence - it knows how powerful it is, and sees the other creature as naught but another meal, waiting to be put down and eaten. The great wolf rears its head back and lets out a long, deep howl that can be heard for miles around as it claims its quarry. Such arrogance.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungle

The intruder's roar is met by another from the bipedal beast that towers over even the newcomer's own great size. Flames lick around the beast's massive fangs, and without any hesitation it charges forward, lowering its massive head. It fully intended to bowl right over the arrogant fool so he could get to its soft under side. The beast, more akin to a Tyrannosaurus than anything else, aims the bony protrusions above its brow to try and catch the four-legged fool under its side, and if it is successful, will simply snap its jaws shut afterward to try and latch onto any exposed unarmored flesh.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jungle]

The great beast will find its head blocked and turned to the side by one of those great paws, which may leave gashes from those enormous claws its head - the wolf steps aside, moving the other creature to the side as it does, that it may make a counterattack at the less protected sides of its quarry. It intends to take one of those tiny arms in its teeth, even as its mouth crackles with electricity.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungle

The dinosaur like beast snarls flame when its head is batted aside and arm grabbed, but the other monster will find itself in its own precarious position rather quickly. The beast's large taloned foot slams down, trying to stomp on one of the monster's paws to trap it in place. With another snarl, it bares its teeth on its bloody muzzle, and the only warning of the impending attack is the sound of steel scraping on stone. The usurper might catch a flash of bright blue flame ignite along the larger monster's tail before it twists its body, intending to slam the heavy razor-edge of down square on its back.

Even with a relatively unarmored flank easily exposed, the massive sword shaped tail makes attacks precarious and unforgiving, particularly when ignited.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jungle]

Electricity surges through the great wolf's paw, intending to cause a spasm in the leg holding it down - the chance that this will be painful or do lasting damage is low - the intention is for the wolf to loosen its grip so it can pull free and duck away from the flaming blade tail. Despite this, the action takes a moment, and the bladed, flaming tail will still score a gash along the beast's side.

It backs off getting some distance in the clearing, and looks at the other beast with cunning eyes - both of them made a mistake there, made it clear they underestimated the opponent, and both paid for it, the wolf worse than the other. It still believes itself to be a more skilled fighter, but now it knows about that tail, and about the blue fire the creature carries there.

The great wolf takes several steps back, and then its fur bristles up as the smell of ozone continues to build, and a soft glow emanates from the wolf. It seems it's taking this fight serious enough to try and change the way it combats the other creature.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungle

The towering beast roars as shocking pain shoots through its leg and forces it back a step, but it follows through on the tail-slash regardless. Once its foe backs away however, it does too. Its face was bloodied and its left foot trembled with aftershocks, but it pulled back another stride in caution. It had indeed overestimated the usurper, but it wouldn't do so any longer. As the four-legged foe begins to glow, the beast swings its tail forward, grasping it between oversized fangs. With the sound of steel upon steel, it drags the bladed tail between the fangs to scrape off oil and debris to swallow.

The beast's gullet begins to glow dimly red as it begins to ignite and cook the material within, and the tail sweeps outward with a fiery lash, scorching the ground in front of it. Taking in a final deep breath before the conflict continues, the beast roars, capable of being heard throughout the entire jungle before charging forward once more with its head down.

It seems to be attempting the same brash attack as before, but a pair of strides away from the great blue wolf, it pivots on one foot, whirling the flaming tail blade-first horizontally towards its foe. Even backing away only a short distance might be precarious however as an arc of infernally hot flames whirl a yard beyond the lethal tip.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jungle]

As the beast roars, so too does the wolf howl once more with a sound, and lightning strikes it from the clear sky to be channeled channeled directly into its limbs. The wolf's body positively shines with an electric light, and as the bladed tail gets close, the wolf shifts position, far faster than it was moving before. It ducks out of the way, completely avoiding the tail, before lunging forelimbs first towards the flaming beast, intending to tackle it to the ground that it might claw at its side and tear at its throat. the bipedal reptile will have to act quickly to avoid this blow, or at least mitigate the impact.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungle

The beast misjudged how fast the wolf was, and despite a growl at having missed so badly it left an opening, it does its best to turn it into an advantage when the wolf decides to press the issue. As the wolf closes, the beast follows through with its tail, using the momentum to offset its balance and tip itself over.

Right on top of the wolf if it decides to continue to charge.

Despite the crackling electricity, the wolf might find itself in a great deal of trouble when the truly weighty beast attempts to roll onto it, especially when its back is covered in large sharp ridges of armor hard enough to turn away blades of all sizes. Even if it somehow misses, the beast lashes its flaming tail out behind it as it rights itself after the roll in order to either hit or fend off the wolf if it dodged the roll.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jungle]

The wolf isn't a slow thinking combatant, and when it sees what the blade-tail is attempting, it twists in midair. It has too much momentum to just stop however, and the reptile will get the chance to roll over it, though it avoids the worst of those spikes. Given the electricity currently flowing through the wolf's body, however, those metallic spikes may be the perfect channel for electricity to be released directly into the other monster's body, causing spasms throughout the chest and leaving a distinct burning feeling in many muscles.

Despite the new puncture wounds in its shoulder, the wolf has apparently decided that giving the reptile time to right itself is a bad idea, and launches itself again while the dinosaur is righting itself, intending to wrap its thick jaw around a scaled ankle and pull it off balance.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungle

The shocks do make the beast's muscles spasm and burn in ways it isn't used to, and while it is still trying to gain control over itself, its legs are pulled close to its body until one ankle is bitten down on. With a roar of pain, the beast whips its head around even as it tumbles onto its side and tries to bite down on one of the wolf's armored shoulders. Burning tar drips from its fangs, but even more importantly its fangs will try to grip its armor in place, to trap the wolf while it brings its burning tail up and around to slam the blunt side onto the wolf's body.

Once the tail moves however, the beast tries to keep itself coiled around the wolf to keep it pinned beneath the burning tail and between its fangs, even through the shocks that might cause it to spasm. The resultant shocks might make it worse for the wolf even, as they'll cause the beast's muscles to tighten and jaw to clamp down harder...

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jungle]

And suddenly, the pair are in a deadlock scenario. The wolf attempts to discharge all of its gathered energy into the other beast, to try and kill it before it inevitably burns to death, but if the blade tailed reptile survives the blast, the wolf won't have much left to survive this encounter, as the burning tar and tail start to cook it alive.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    "Do you know what the werewolf likes to eat?" says Aaron. "When he enters your encampment, does he go eat a specific animal first?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Ravaged Village]

"Maybe it enjoys the taste of people. What's a camp of normal people and families doing out here anyways?" Guinness asks. It would make sense if a werewolf saw these campers as a light snack, but maybe they were stirring something up that a werewolf in these parts would also be interested in. Digging too deep as the case may be.
    "The werewolf eats any meat, but it seems to go after the people first." Says the camp leader. Then he replies to Guinness. "These hunters happen to have normal people in their lives. Those people come along and take care of the camp."
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungle

The shock dazes the beast, but it also makes its powerful jaws clamp firmly shut and body to tighten further around the great wolf. The bite likely sheers through armor, flesh, and bone alike and leaves a coating of burning tar over most of the resultant wound. Despite surviving the blast of lightning, the beast quickly loses most of its strength and if the wolf can extricate itself from the beast's death-grip and escape the burning tail that's attempting to burn and slice its way through its body, it has a chance to live.

If the wolf lives and pulls itself away, it'll find the beast in its final spasms and in an incredibly sorry state from the electrical overload. The beast is missing chunks of armor from where bodily fluids boiled and exploded through its flesh, and its breathing and heartbeat were highly erratic. It wasn't likely the beast would live for more than a minute or two afterwards. It was dead, it just didn't know it yet.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

[Jungle]

The great wolf, injured beyond repair, bleeding profusely from gaping wounds and burning to death thanks to the napalm-like tar covering parts of it's body, can't help but fall over, breathing shallowly for a few moments until the heat cooks its brain and it shuts down completely. Despite its horrific injuries, and despite the grim closeness of that fight, the blade-tail is the victor, for however long that lasts.

But that's the nature of the hunts in this brutal place, isn't it? There's always a victor, and as the reptile feels its pain ebbing away, its wounds close, and it can feel another presence. A gentle caress along its body that will leave it feeling whole - more than whole, better than it was before. It will still bear the scars of the places where it was so horrifically injured, but they'll close so that the beast may live for another day. After all, it has a cooked meal waiting for it at its feet.

That same caress will touch its mind, calming it, and then there will be... more. True thought, granted as a gift. For a proper kill deserves a proper reward.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungle

The gentle caress soothes the beast's erratic heart and burning body. The breathing, once labored, settles and slows until it draws in rhythmical breaths. Even though the aches and pains faded, the memories of such are seared into both the beast's mind and body. The lines and chunks blasted out of his armored hide reform, but they are bone white instead of black, red, and midnight blue. Despite feeling refreshed and eased by mysterious presence, he lays there for several long moments to gather its thoughts and analyze its surroundings.

With such a fearsome fight, anything small should have ran off and should be in hiding, but there was still the chance for some scavenger to decide to press its luck, but after several long moments of waiting patiently, he finally rights itself and stumbles to its feet.

His stance is lower than before, his tail longer and better acting as a counter balance to his heavy fore-body, and after giving the cooked meat a few sniffs, he begins to dig into the well-cooked steak he'd rightfully hunted. The Usurper was gone, for now, but as with everything else here it would be back. And that, Glavvy decided, was an ordeal for another day.

Once his stomach is full, gullet filled, and the leftovers discarded for scavengers, Glavvy tended to his tail. The blade was longer, slender with a curving belly to the edge, and the point was split in two. It was a curious change, and one that Glavvy didn't really understand, but he took the length between his fangs anyway and cleaned his precious weapon.

There was no telling what else was out there after all, and it was best not to be caught unaware again. So with one final sniff of the air for threats, he began to stride slowly away from the remains of his kill. I'm thirsty again...

23. - Top - End - #323
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Cliffside]

Willa doesn't need to be told twice. She takes the boomerang in one hand and launches it at the gremlin as hard as she can with a war cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Cliffside]

The boomerang hits the reeling gremlin, piercing deep into its amorphous flesh. The creature's body seems to bubble and boil, and an unbearable stench emanates from it. The gremlin twitches for a while, before becoming motionless. Its body becomes a gray lump, with four short, stunted limbs protruding from it.
    [Cliffside]

Astrana breathes out in relief. "I think you killed it, good job." A beat. "Maybe we should poke it with a stick to be sure?"

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cliffside]

"I heard you're supposed to get a reward when you kill a monster in the Grounds." Willa says, deciding to not complain about Astrana's speed of casting with the results.
    But since they don't seem to have any magical gifts just yet, her only course of action is to whack it with her staff a few times.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Huntside - Primal Jungle Expedition Preparation GO!]

Well...

If nothing else the money sounded good. Even if there wasn't a very good chance to win a trophy out of the whole ordeal. Yellow typically likes collecting some kind of trophy to remind her of her triumphs, but... Well, apparently the client wants this thing alive. And sure, she could just chunk a piece off of it, but maiming something just for a memento doesn't sit right with her.

Which is different from killing something and taking a memento.

Because...

Reasons.

Good reasons, though. Or at least she thinks they're good reasons. And at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

She had decided already that she would be walking to the 'hot zone', which may or may not be a good plan. Sure, that meanst her warp-pipe will be available as a backup in case things go sideways, but it also meant putting up with the heat. And the bugs. And the poo-flinging monkeys. And all the other general unpleasantness associated with slogging through muggy tropical forests. Hopefully her companion (or was that companions? Stupid Nexus and it's stupid weirdness) won't complained too much. And of course she wouldn't voice her discomfort.

Not that she could if she wanted to.

To be utterly honest, she has no idea how That Guy manages to talk using humanoid languages. Their vocal cords just aren't built right for it. Everyone else has to make do with signs or pantomime or eating naked apes who won't shut up.

For the record? Yellow is a yoshi. As in the 'cute' long-tongued dinosaurs from Dinosaur Land. Yellow is also an adventurer, decked out in armor made of buzzy beetle carapace with a chain-chomp slung over her shoulder. The trio of parallel scars on the left side of her face gives her a pretty rugged look. And there's not telling what kinds of goodies she has in that utility belt of hers. She's frequented the hunting grounds for a while, having built something of a reputation for brutally crushing her quarry. If the coin is right, she takes more traditional adventuring jobs now and again, but her real passion is matching her metal against monsters.

Real monsters.

And that's what's on the plate today.

Yellow needs to make a supply run first, though. Drop off a few kills, pick up a few odds and ins, maybe even bump into some other basher looking to make some quick coin.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2017-09-15 at 05:47 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Huntside- Prep

There's someone following the Yoshi.
    Not very good at hiding it this one. So big. So blue. So packing a gun with barely an armor plate in sight.
    He stops sometimes to pretend he's buying something but his pack doesn't seem very big.
    So what game is this pig playing? Yellow will have to ask to find out.

27. - Top - End - #327

[Huntside Prep]

Yellow is a hunter.

She's a stalker of prey. A killer of game. While usually her quarry are beasts, that's not always the case. Sometimes she hunts people. Typically because the pay is good. Occasionally because she has decided that she doesn't particularly like them. As a result, she has a good nose for when she's being followed. She has had to deal with sellswords before who weren't happy about the job she did. And thus far that has ended poorly for the bashers who thought a cute yellow dinosaur would be an easy mark.

Pah.

Cute.

The naked apes have some weird ideas about what qualifies as cute.

Yellow casually turns a corner to put herself out of the big blue pig's line of sight. Once she's out of view, she braces herself briefly before vaulting onto the roof of the building she just hid behind, careful to keep the peak between herself and the street. Now in position, she draws out her chalkboard and quickly scrawls a message. She'll wait for the pigman's inevitable appearance before silently dropping down behind him, moving to shove him against the wall and shove her chalk board in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalk Board
    What the hell do you want?
    Sam will be able to see the VERY real potential for unleashing unspeakable violence in Yellow's cute brown eyes.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

[Huntside Prep]

Sam is a cook.

He's a preparer of food. A cooker of game. While his usual clientele was fancy-do's, that's not the case anymore. Now he works for mercenaries. Mostly because the pay was good. Also because he decided he didn't that he doesn't particularly like fancy food. As a result, he has no sense at all for when someone knows what he's doing. He has had to deal with people who weren't happy with his job, but this is the first time he's been held up by a cute dinosaur.

So.

Cute.

The dinosaur must have some weird ideas about what doesn't qualify as cute.

Sam replies with perhaps the worst possible thing Yellow could get as a response. Something she's likely heard from dozens of ten-year-olds, and one professional voice actor if she happens to like a certain internet anime parody.
    "Are you a yoshi?" asks the spigre, his tone and face nothing but sincerity and excitement.

29. - Top - End - #329

[Huntside Prep]

Yellow regards Sam with a look of pure disdain. She wishes she could just will someone dead in cases like this. Just burn a hole straight through their brain with hatred alone. Sure, she could use more pedestrian forms of violence, but you aren't supposed to start fights in Huntside, let alone kill people for asking asinine questions.

She releases the pigman and takes a few steps back, lowering her sign and turning it toward herself to erase it. A new message is quickly written to replace the first, all the while Yellow maintains her withering glare of hate to assert dominance. She flips the sign back around, displaying it for Sam to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalk Board
    Yes, pigman. I am a yellow fracking dinosaur.

WHAT.
    DO.
    YOU.
    WANT?
    Should Sam inform her that he wants to go on an adventure in anything approximating an Italian accent, there's a strong possibility someone will die.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

[Huntside Prep]

Sam bites his lip. Properly speaking the truth would be that he wanted a hug from a childhood icon regardless of how accurate she really is to a silly video game.
    Not that he'd ever bring up Super Mario World. He's sure even to the nice Yoshis that would be like mooing at minotaurs. You just don't do it.
    "I'm here to make some money for my girlfriend's thanksmas present but I've never done a hunt solo so I was working up the guts to ask you for help because you look really tough." Sam rapid-fire lies straight to Yellow's face. Except the part about never going on a solo hunt, that part's true.