New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5 D&D Monster WIP] Plant-Monster/Trap Hybrid [Peach]

so ever since i saw the movie "The Ruins" i have thought about making this.

Carnivorous Vines
    Huge Plant
    HD 30d8+300 (435hp)
    Speed 20ft. (4 square); Climb 10ft.
    Init: +9
    AC 25 (-2 size +12 natural +5 dex); touch 13; flat-footed 20
    BAB/Grp +22/+40
    Attack Tendril +32 melee (1d8+10 +1d4 acid)
    Full-Attack 10 Tendrils +32 melee (1d8+10 +1d4 acid)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft. (20 with tendrils).
    Special Attacks Constrict (1d8+10 +acid), entangle, improved grab, Acid(1d4)
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 30 ft., camouflage, DR 10/-, fast healing 3, immunity to electricity, mimic sound, plant traits, resistance to cold 10 and fire 10, tremorsense 30 ft.
    Saves Fort +27, Ref +15 Will +14
    Abilities Str 30, Dex 21, Con 30, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 9
    Skills Climb +51, Hide +38, Listen +43, Move Silently +38, Spot +43
    Feats Combat Reflexes, Diehard, Endurance, Epic Combat Reflexes, Greater Combat Reflexes, Improved Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Dodge, Mobility
    Environment Temperate Forest
    Organization Solo
    Challenge Rating 27
    Treasure
    Alignment Neutral Evil
    Advancement by TYPE; Favored Class
    Level Adjustment +X

"Lady's and gentlemen,here we have an a perfect example of the wonders of nature. I give you my very own discovery,the one ,the only,Carnivorous Vine!
    Thank you,thank you. You sir,in the red coat. You have a question? Well,I discovered the vine in the Maqkval jungle,on one of my expeditions. Why yes,miss,it was the same expedition that I uncovered the lost sigil of Dominaq the third. Nice job keeping up with my work! I need more fans like you.
    So,in any case,I was deep in the jungle,tracking a tiger. I had been on its trail for days,and was only now drawing near. I had just spotted it in a clearing,and was creeping closer,my crossbow at my shoulder. And when I got there,it was gone! Nothing was left,save one clump of fur in a pile of vines. And then,I started to get that jittery feeling I have when I'm on to something. I took a strip of meat from my knapsack,and threw it on the vines. I then called for my assistant,Docter Joseph.
    When I turned around,the meat was gone! "Joseph,"I say,"this is something big! I shall give you the honer of being the first to approach the specimen."

Sadly,you all know what happened next. It shall forever haunt my dreams,the way Joseph's face,melting from the acid sunk into the plant,how the plant joined in the screams,taunting me,telling me to save him. It doesn't bear thinking about. But what could I do? Later,I came back with a Mage,and we managed to capture it...
    You,little girl? What's your question? No,of course it can't get out. It can never get out...

last known words of the dwarven explorer James krabach

Combat
    Carnivorous Vines use simple tactics: It lies still until prey comes within reach, then attacks. It uses its entangle ability both to catch prey and to deter counterattacks.
    Constrict (Ex)
    Carnivorous Vines deal (1d8+10+acid) points of damage with a successful grapple check.
    Entangle (Su)
    Carnivorous Vines can animate plants within 30 feet of itself as a free action (Ref DC 29 partial).
    The effect lasts until the vine dies or decides to end it (also a free action). The save DC is Wisdom-based. The ability is otherwise similar to entangle (caster level 4th).
    Improved Grab (Ex)
    To use this ability, Carnivorous Vines must hit with its slam attack.
    It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
    If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.
    Blindsight (Ex)
    Carnivorous Vines have no visual organs but can ascertain all foes within 30 feet using sound, scent, and vibration.
    Camouflage (Ex)
    Since Carnivorous Vines look like a normal plant when at rest, it takes a DC 30 Spot check to notice it before it attacks.
    Anyone with ranks in Survival or Knowledge (nature) can use one of those skills instead of Spot to notice the plant.
    Tremorsense (Ex)
    Carnivorous Vines can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground.
    Mimic Sound (Ex) Carnivorous Vines can perfectly mimic familiar sounds, voices, and accents. These sounds can be any that it has heard before. It takes a DC 29 Listen check to notice that it is fabricated.
    Skills
    Carnivorous Vines have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Hide checks. They can use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher. Carnivorous Vines can take 10 on Climb checks, even if threatened or distracted.
    Last edited by AkazilliaDeNaro; 2013-11-18 at 10:24 PM.
    If you are going to shorten my name go with "Akaz" instead of "Aka" its less confusing.
    Also I may End up Capatalizing the BEginning of words, or mispelleing them interly.
    Think nothing of it, I just REALLY suck at typing.(Those examples were on purpose, though.)
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: [3.5 D&D Monster WIP] Plant-Monster/Trap Hybrid [Peach]

If you are basing it on the movie, the vines have an acidic property that dissolves flesh.

I think it is much too slow. The vines should be able to slither along the ground a bit faster. I recommend changing it to 20 feet and and Climb 10 feet. There's hardly a reason for it to have a Burrow speed.

Plants do not have tentacles, they have tendrils. It needs extra reach with tendrils, which are not the main part of the plant. I'd say give it an extra 10 feet with just the tendrils.

Damage based on Huge size is already 1d8. It doesn't need the feat Improved Natural Attack. Swap feat for Dodge. It also doesn't need Improved Toughness as a feat. I recommend giving it Mobility instead. (Dodge bonuses unlike other bonuses, stack).

It has a strange group of abilities for a jungle creatures. It's hardly likely that the PCs will use electricity on it. It's a plant, so odds are they'll use axes and such. It's a creeper vine so it should have tremorsense in addition to blindsight.

Special Qualities: Blindsight 30 ft., camouflage, damage resistance 10/-, fast healing 3, immunity to electricity, mimic sound, plant traits, resistance to cold 10 and fire 10, tremorsense 30 feet.

Infectious sounds like a special attack rather than a special quality. It should be poison or disease. Spores make the most sense. The spores can grow within a creature and cause damage while growing. They can be cut out (75% success rate or less) but cutting them out also would cause more damage to anyone.

This is a carnivorous plant. The vines grow quickly and wrap themselves around any living creature that isn't a plant. The vines have thorns which rip into the skin and consume the flesh. How fast can it consume an adult Human?

Carnivorous Vines is as good a name as any unless you want something fantastical.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-10-29 at 10:53 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 D&D Monster WIP] Plant-Monster/Trap Hybrid [Peach]

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    If you are basing it on the movie, the vines have an acidic property that dissolves flesh.

I think it is much too slow. The vines should be able to slither along the ground a bit faster. I recommend changing it to 20 feet and and Climb 10 feet. There's hardly a reason for it to have a Burrow speed.

Plants do not have tentacles, they have tendrils. It needs extra reach with tendrils, which are not the main part of the plant. I'd say give it an extra 10 feet with just the tendrils.

Damage based on Huge size is already 1d8. It doesn't need the feat Improved Natural Attack. Swap feat for Dodge. It also doesn't need Improved Toughness as a feat. I recommend giving it Mobility instead. (Dodge bonuses unlike other bonuses, stack).

It has a strange group of abilities for a jungle creatures. It's hardly likely that the PCs will use electricity on it. It's a plant, so odds are they'll use axes and such. It's a creeper vine so it should have tremorsense in addition to blindsight.

Special Qualities: Blindsight 30 ft., camouflage, damage resistance 10/-, fast healing 3, immunity to electricity, mimic sound, plant traits, resistance to cold 10 and fire 10, tremorsense 30 feet.

Infectious sounds like a special attack rather than a special quality. It should be poison or disease. Spores make the most sense. The spores can grow within a creature and cause damage while growing. They can be cut out (75% success rate or less) but cutting them out also would cause more damage to anyone.

This is a carnivorous plant. The vines grow quickly and wrap themselves around any living creature that isn't a plant. The vines have thorns which rip into the skin and consume the flesh. How fast can it consume an adult Human?

Carnivorous Vines is as good a name as any unless you want something fantastical.

Debby
    thanks. all noted and added
    If you are going to shorten my name go with "Akaz" instead of "Aka" its less confusing.
    Also I may End up Capatalizing the BEginning of words, or mispelleing them interly.
    Think nothing of it, I just REALLY suck at typing.(Those examples were on purpose, though.)
    My Homebrews
    Homebrew Table Tutorial