New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management)

Gibs

To help his allies he shoved the boat quickly into the water as the porpoise was summoned so they could quickly get to the fight. He didn't even try to get into the boat as they shot across the lake. Instead purposely staying on the island. Securing his new magical bow he realized he doesn't have any arrows and looks back up towards where he got the bow. Grunting he began to run up there.

He gets to the spot where they last stood and after arguing with his god for a second he decided to proceed to all the bodies and despite the obvious, he decided to start looting them.

In case this isn't clear, Gibs decides to reach that spot where everyone dies, and then cross into it to search the corpses. Because he's an idiot. Or he's crazy, not sure.

He takes his time, taking 20 on each body and the entire area.

Spoiler: XP
    Show

I'm not really sure if I'm level 1 or level 2
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-08-21 at 08:20 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

Gibs walks up the stairs. Everything's fine. He stands atop the stairs, with the nearest piles of bones just a few feet away. Around them - and everywhere else - pretty lights dance, weaving and churning, painting fascinating patterns. It's really all rather beautiful.

Intent on the remaining loot, he steps forward - and the lights wash over him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Will save vs 17.

Also, I promised to make a little list of the XP given, and never did. I'm terrible. I'll do so! I will. But not today, because the GF and I are going to pack the car and go on an adventure. There will be wild beasts, swordfights and trebuchets. Also fine dining.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-08-22 at 12:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Gibs

Gibs resists mightily! Will: (1d20-1)[4]
    Camel's Handbook

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

redface Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management)

Hekx eventually wades ashore, poking and prodding at the creatures trying to figure out what they are. Once he’s satisfied himself that they’re both mortal and dead he pipes up to yell at the others.

While you were somehow getting into trouble over here, I found a magic area on the island. It’s dangerous but look like there’s loot beyond. With that he launches into a more detailed description of what he found on the island.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

With the threat defeated in the short term, but his magic drained Hekx clambers up to find a suitable resting spot and settles down for some rest, mulling over the problem of how to secure greater treasures from the island as he does so. Six hours later he wakes, and regardless of the time begins to prepare further magics.

With magic readied he crosses over the lake once more, Silkwhisper, Ribbet and potentially one other goblins in tow. While they journey he begins communicating to the creatures what must be done, his grasp of Spindrel is shaky and he is not as connected with his Familiar as he will one day be but he’s confident he got the message across in some way.

He lets his creatures slip across the boundary, ready to pull them back if need be then casts a spell of divination, giving both him and Ribbet the capacity to see magical auraus for a few moments. Then the creatures scurry ahead into the ruins, looking to retreat if they saw danger but opportunitisticly pick up and bring back any magical treasures. He waits anxiously for their return each time, and once his magics have been used up.

When this process is complete he returns to where he first arrived, and if none had retrieved gibs earlier will do so. Then head back across the lake

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Show

Roll Will saves for both, DC 17. Being an animal is irrelevant, sadly.

=)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Show

Well that raises many many questions about the lack of fields of regular spiders, new best guess is anything with INT at 3+ is affected.

Silkwhisper: (1d20+0)[16]
    Ribbet: (1d20+4)[19]

While Silkwhisper froze up in the face of the magic at hand Hekx urges Ribbet onward, hoping he can find the location of some magic item anyway so that a summoned creature could extract it.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-08-26 at 11:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

From a frog's eye view, the island was slightly hard to map accurately. It was a simple matter to follow the winding path from the stairs. It was quite beautiful, even if Ribbit reported mostly on tasty insects - it still included details about polished, fitted cobbles, flowers that bloom in the dark, and blue lights dancing in the hands of marble statues.

The path led to a small building in the center of the island. Ribbit, being a frog, had too little knowledge of architecture to accurately describe the structure.

Looking about the rest of the island, he was able to locate a couple of further dead trespassers, and one of them had magic items too - it was however the one who had scaled the cliffs, trying to get around the magic lights. Hard to get to, especially for a frog.

Other than that, one of the stones in the path was a large slab with writing on it.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

After Ribbet returns, Hekx has finally dragged Silkwhisper from the affected area and after she recovers sends her to catch the cliff corpse after he knocks it off from the cliff (with either thrown stones or arrows).

Once that is complete, they will try and see what the other goblins have planned and whether staying long enough to properly unlock the island’s secrets is practical.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Banned

The adventurer who died on the cliffs was an interesting one. She had a backpack full of useful stuff - rope and pitons, grappling hooks, hammers and pry bars and all manner of useful tools, lock picks, two scrolls, and a magic wand.

Show

There is a wand of Unseen Servant, a scroll of Invisibility, and a scroll of Silence. Also, MW tools for opening locks, climbing and for any test to forcibly open doors or chests or whatever.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Determined to work out a way to get past the trap, Hekx and Silkwhisper establish a working system: Hekx will walk in, and if he fails to resist, Silkwhisper will haul him back out to try again.

It's not a perfect system, because as the path winds, it means Silkwhisper will eventually have to also enter the lights, giving the whole endeavor a somewhat risky feel. It is eventually succesful, however, and Hekx reaches the pavillion in the center of the island. Surrounding it is a 15' space clear of trees, affording - between the trees - a fairly spectacular view of the surrounding countryside.

The pavillion is of obvious elven design, marble and ironwood, carved with leaves and flowers, beasts and monsters, and beautiful elven faces and figures. Each of the four pillars supporting the roof is a carven elf, holding an elegant sword close to the body in the right hand, and the left thrust out, holding a blue, dancing flame. In the floor of the pavillion is a spiral staircase, leading down.

Also, the pavillion itself is free of the fascinating lights that otherwise cover the top of the island.

Spoiler: Do you read elven? Otherwise this spoiler is off limits! :p
    Show

The large flagstone with writing reads:

If you read elven, but are not elf, be warned: This place is not for you. Turn back now, for only death awaits those who trespass on this sacred place. If you do not read elven, or have been caught by the lights - too bad, you should have known better.

If you are an elf, read on:

Welcome, unknown brother or sister,

As we leave this place, we leave behind a few trinkets and supplies, in case any of our kind pass this way, and have need. Take anything you want, it's yours now - we leave behind nothing we cannot spare. You will find weapons and armor, magic and other supplies below, as well as a few keepsakes of our proud culture and heritage.

We will see you beyond, in time, in whatever realm the Watchers allows our paths to cross.

Be well.

Obviously, the warning was placed well inside the trapped area - the elves are not without a sense of humor, after all.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hekx, slowly translates the ancient plate, sitting down with book and pen to decipher the long dead langague, upon the completion of this task he peers down the staircase, and lights a torch so he might see down. With another muttered word he pulls out his vision from that of normal light into the wavelengths of magic and peers down the shaft looking for both the magic that may be linked to these trinkets and for the silver shine of magics designed to divine information or attack intruders.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

After being told or being able to infer that "seeing" the thing is what causes the effect, Plink takes his iron cooking pot, and puts it on his head. He will then be able to see the ground immediately at his feet (and therefore not bump into things.. in theory).

Asking one of the other goblins to call out instructions from outside the area of effect, he bravely sets off after Hexz.

Spoiler: If it works, and if Plink catches up to Hexz
    Show

Plink casts Comprehend Languages- Yes, That was actually one of the two spells he chose for this level. He remembers not being able to read the elven waymarker, and wants to be able to communicate with anyone he comes across).

I will hold off on actually opening the spoiler until I hear that I have successfully made it to that point.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

Plink quickly realizes that the lights permeate the area - if he can see the ground, he can also see the lights.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Plink sighs, realizing that his bright idea will not work.. Taking one last glorious sniff of the remnants of last nights dinner from the inside of the pot, he takes it off of his head and lashes it back to his pack.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Gibs

Once Gibs he's not deterred. With a great deal of frustration he closes his eyes and merely walks over to where he saw a corpse, grabs it, and walks back to safety with it. Then he'll search the body. He keeps doing this until he's searched all the bodies. He's looking for anything of value but, arrows and gold would suffice.
    Camel's Handbook

17. - Top - End - #227
    Banned

With a bit of time and effort, you manage to drag all the various victims of the trap outside the area of effect. Of course, all those with magic have already been retrieved, but regardless you manage to scrounge up a nice pile of stuff: Weapons, armor, ammunition, money. Most of it is withered beyond any conceivable use by years under the open sky - but not all. You find:

One mithril chainshirt (non-magical but counts as +1)
    One adamantine battleaxe (non-magical but counts as +2)
    20 ironwood arrows (non-magical but counts as +1)
    A total of 214 gold - mostly in silver, but some in copper, and a bit in gems (50 gp worth of gems, someone is sure to ask)
    Some petrified ironrations
    A compass - a neat little brass contraption, with little gears and dials and stuff .. it looks complicated
    A great big pile of bones

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Knowing now that this corridor is trapped Hekx decides to err on the side of caution and ensure he knew what traps might be present before he journeyed down. Thus he retreated just past the top of the staircase and summoned a celestial monkey spirit, compelling it to run at a quick pause down the winding staircase.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

The monkey obediently disappears down the stairs. Nothing further happens.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hekx calls for the monkey to come back up, making sure it touches every step on the way.

If it does this with no traps going off Hekx slowly and nervously proceeds down the stairs himself, lighting a torch and making sure to look out for both magical and mechanical signs of traps.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

The monkey re-emerges unscathed - then pops out of existance, returning whence it came.

Hekx walks down the steps, taking every care not to inadvertedly triggering whatever devilish contraption the elves might have left behind.

The stairs lead down into what was advertised: A vault. It's a small room, 20'x20', and each wall holds a heavy grate in front of a recessed stash: Weapons on one wall, bows and spears - armors on another, fine links of chainmail and a couple of elegant helmets - one wall holds a small selection of potions and scrolls - and the last a solid-looking chest.

Each grate can be pushed upwards to access the contents behind. There is a lock for each - one of which has been opened and lies on the floor in front. Also on the floor are two skeletons, coiled up as if they died quite unpleasantly.

The final feature of the room is a small font in the center. It has a tiny silver plaque with an inscription in elven.

There is magic in this room - several sources. For one thing, a suit of armor, a spear, a helmet and the potions and scrolls are all magical. More importantly, there is a spell trigger on the fountain, giving off divination and conjuration auras, both faint. There is also a spell trigger on the roof, a stronger conjuration effect.

Spoiler: OOC - read only if you understand elven!! :p
    Show

It reads simply: Drink before opening. If you're not an elf, you really should leave.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hekx looks cross, then turns and leaves unwilling to risk his life for paltry trinkets made to impress the more martial of his brethren. Under his breath though he murmurs in a way only wizards and mad scientists have ever mastered promising to return when is power is sufficient.

When he returns to the other he’s even crosser than normal.
    Let’s be gone from this place, they have magics which mine are not yet sufficient to overwhelm. Yet perhaps in time.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Gibs

The crazy goblin just starts equipping everything he finds. Strapping the battle axe to his back, donning armor, putting arrows in his quill, etc.
    Camel's Handbook

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Plink attempts to assuage Hexz frustration. No worry, Hexz, these things is safe until we gets what we needs to come back and loots it all. Plink will help, everyone will help.

Plink gathers the entire group together. Hexz is wise. He has decided to leave the rest of these goodies here until we needs them later! They is safe till we's return! For now, we needs to split up the shinies we already finds! Da warriors needs da pokey things and the armors, and we should splits the moneys evenly. Half for the tribe, which I will holds, and half for all of you's. The rest of the magicy stuff should go to goblins who can uses it.

Once we splits all da shinys, we can go scout dat Bigger village, to find what Smoke Lady wants.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Gibs

Gibs nods his head at what Plink is saying but makes no moves afterwards other than looking around to what shinies Plink is talking about and who found it. He has a scrunched up face as he isn't seeing anything to be shared.

He seems oblivious to the idea that Plink is indicating that he's talking about everything that Gibs has found. Gibs walks with the jingles of a lot of coins and is wearing beautiful mithril armor, an amazing looking bow, an adamantine battle axe, and more! He looks like a walking armory at this point.

But yeah, Gibs doesn't know Plink is talking about his gear.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-08-31 at 01:48 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

It is fine, thier cheating magics are complex but they are not as smart as I am. And I will still learn but those traps stay stupid.

Gibs, give me back my bow. Silkwhisper found it and you do not get to keep it. Then we can go look for the stupid humans and the stupid jewellery.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Gibs

Gibs seems caught off guard at Hekx trying to command him. The surprise is replaced by a sneering, angry, look. He grunts out some things that don't sound like words to you as he pulls out his glaive. "You beneath me. Not give me commands weak one. You not even know how to use bow, too busy reading all day." Gibs says with a deep seething anger at the idea that Hekx could think he could command him.

Gibs points his glaive at Hekx challenging him to do something.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-08-31 at 05:10 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Gibs

Gibs seems caught off guard at Hekx trying to command him. The surprise is replaced by a sneering, angry, look. He grunts out some things that don't sound like words to you as he pulls out his glaive. "You beneath me. Not give me commands weak one. You not even know how to use bow, too busy reading all day." Gibs says with a deep seething anger at the idea that Hekx could think he could command him.

Gibs points his glaive at Hekx challenging him to do something.
    Really? Says Hekx. Then stares angrily and Gibs, He seems to think for a second, grumpily as he realised many of his normal arcane memories were switched out. Then he simply yells ”Kipull!” At the same time his hands move with blinding speed and a rift to the hells opens dropping a smaller spider, only the size of Gibs instead of being larger.

Then, Silkwhisper rears up ready to fire a gob of webbing at the Mad barbarian, the aim seems solid but it takes long enough for Gibs to have a chance to move.

(1d20+4)[17] To Hit Touch AC:
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-09-01 at 05:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Gibs

The goblin Gibs was clearly about to kill someone. Some of you may have been in a similar situation when Gibs killed Dregs, Mmbop, and Stilmazoky. There were a couple more goblins but you don't remember there names. None of their infractions involved actually casting a spell or directing an attack against this insane goblin. Dregs merely told Gibs to move and even said please at the end. But no one commands Gibs. Not even poor, kind Dregs. Mmbop wasn't even talking to Gibs, but Gibs thought he was. Poor Mmbop said the wrong joke to the right friend. Gibs thought Mmbop was making fun of him. Mmbop died fast. Stilmazoky simply grabbed the wrong chicken leg from the campfire. Minor things... excusable even. Not by Gibs. They paid the ultimate price so the tribe would learn that Gibs is insane. But also insanely useful as Plink has discovered. For the most part people knew to simply stay away from Gibs. He didn't really bother anyone (when he wasn't killing them) and letting him be (and letting him kill enemies) always proved the most useful course of action.

But today... Gibs, perhaps held back solely by his new found loyalty to Plink, merely shouted threatening words at Hekx. Perhaps the most surprising thing about this exchange was Gibs self control. He actually barked out a warning at Hekx. Character growth at it's finest here folks.

Until that is, Hekx began the assault. Directing his spider to attack Gibs and casting a spell. Gibs, responded almost as fast. A fearful look at Plink, a twitch of madness, followed by dead silence as he moved. He charged the wizard, and for a moment the world stood still as you all expected him to swing the weapon he's known for and watch another goblin meet his demise... except... it doesn't happen. A look of disgust and disappointment briefly crosses Gib's crazy face, then replaced by anger again. His movement carries him closer as he throws himself at Hekx at the end of his charge trying to tear his poor small wizard body from his mount.

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show

Free: Rage
    Full Round Action: Charge! At the end of the charge, Gibs makes a melee touch attack to initiate a trip on Hekx.

Gibs touch (1d20+9)[26] touch vs Hekx touch AC to initiate trip.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Tripping a Mounted Opponent: You may make a trip attack against a mounted opponent. The defender may make a Ride check in place of his Dexterity or Strength check. If you succeed, you pull
    the rider from his mount
    Opposed Strength Check: (1d20+8)[19] vs Hekx ride check.
    Free Attack from Improved Trip feat is going to be an unarmed strike (1d20+9)[28] vs prone AC for (1d2+4)[5]points of non-lethal damage.

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Gibbs, The Insane One
    male goblin barbarian 2
    CE small humanoid (goblinoid)
    Init +2; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Spot -1, Listen +4
    Languages Goblin, Common

AC 14 (+5 armor, +1 size, +2 Dex, -2 raging, -2 charge), touch 9, flat-footed 12
    HP 21/21 (2d12+6)
    Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1

Speed 40 ft
    Melee unarmed strike +9 (1d2+4/x2)
    Melee glaive +9 (1d8+6/x3)
    Combat Options: Combat Reflexes, Trip
    Special Actions: Rage (5 rounds remaining)
    Base Atk +2; Grp +2

Abilities Str 19, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
    Skills Jump +13, Listen +4, Survival +4, Tumble +6, Move Silently +6, Ride +6
    Feats Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-09-01 at 11:49 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

After Gibs jumped up and grabbed him Hekx desperately tried to remain in the saddle.

Ride: (1d20+6)[25]

And did so, desperately flailing and gripping on to Silkwhisper long hairs to keep his place on the spider’s back. Kicking feebly against the barbarian until Silkwhisper finally turns and hits the Barbarian with a blast of webbing.

(17-4 for firing into combat= 13. Still hits Gibs’ Touch AC)

With Gibs entangled, temporarily at least and the second spider finally completing its formation Hekx will disengage from Gibs once more and scurry off of Silkwhisper’s back, getting 40ft away before turning. He barks a command in Spindrel at the two spiders then turns to yell at Plink.

Plink, tell your mad beast to stop it before I tell mine to liquidise him.

Spoiler: Only open if you speak Spindrel
    Show

The order is for the smaller spider to stay on top of the entangled goblin and bite him if he tries to strike any spiders, Silkwhisper is to join in if he tries to strike them or web him again if he tries to escape.

Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-09-02 at 09:15 AM.