New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1209 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [citation needed]
    True, but it would have been nice if they’d given more of a crap, wouldn’t it? I don’t entirely blame the gods for growing somewhat resigned and numb after all these... aeons, honestly... but the fact that the most concern we’ve actually seen from a non-mortal (who wasn’t TDO) was a celestial who simply refused to slaughter them or be directly complicit in it... doesn’t do them much of a favor, does it?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    True, but it would have been nice if they’d given more of a crap, wouldn’t it? I don’t entirely blame the gods for growing somewhat resigned and numb after all these... aeons, honestly... but the fact that the most concern we’ve actually seen from a non-mortal (who wasn’t TDO) was a celestial who simply refused to slaughter them or be directly complicit in it... doesn’t do them much of a favor, does it?
    Thing is, we just don't know how much of that they gave, because
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    everything that happened is not necessarily seen.

(…) It is possible that some of the paladins who participated in the attack crossed the line. It is also possible that most did not. (…) [W]e don't see how many Detect Evils were used before the attack started, and we don't see how many paladins afterwards try to heal their wounds and can't, because these things are not important to Redcloak's story. (…) (Oh, and I leave it up to the readers to form their own opinions on which paladins may have Fallen and which didn't.)

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Given that we agree that killing innocents is wrong, and the gods created the world so that all of its members are mortal, invented disease, famine, and monsters and are responsible for the majority of deaths...

The gods in OotS and D&D in general are little better than the Machines from the Matrix. The best of them are good because they care about people, all of them are evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #904
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Oh, I wholly agree there. Though I also agree with Metastachydium. I'm a complex person.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-08 at 09:51 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly I dunno how much Falling has to do with direct revoking and how much it has to do with the fact that being doing an Evil act breaks your oath is literally hardwired into the class. There’s probably at least some of the former considering Miko, but...

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    There was not. The MM, like the SRD's monster listings, goes directly from "howler" to "hydra".
    And no "men" entry? Also, for NPCs, were they not classified as "any humanoid" or is this something that 5e did that 3.5 didn't? Hmm, taking a look through the SRD, WoTC did a lot of changing there to get to 5e.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-08-08 at 10:11 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And no "men" entry? Also, for NPCs, were they not classified as "any humanoid" or is this something that 5e did that 3.5 didn't?
    To be fair, 3.5 races... differ more between each one. And also because 3.5e in general has more variety in the first place.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Maybe the gods should toughen their paladin hiring standards?

The highest punishment they gave to a paladin is making them Fall, revoking their powers -- but they can still walk around, communicate with other people, adventure, etc. They're still alive and able to do these things, which Redcloak's family is never able to do so again. The Giant's "cop turns in their badge at the city hall" metaphor comes into mind.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

...Does the Atonement spell become relevant for this? I don’t think it’d work for Falling unless true, well, atonement is done, and even if it didn’t then it likely wouldn’t last... but it’s still less final.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post

The highest punishment they gave to a paladin is making them Fall, revoking their powers -- but they can still walk around, communicate with other people, adventure, etc. They're still alive and able to do these things, which Redcloak's family is never able to do so again. The Giant's "cop turns in their badge at the city hall" metaphor comes into mind.
    That's an understatOkay, okay, sorry.

Also, true: the paladins, who are acting in the name of the gods, got to slaughter an entire village. Even if they lost their powers (which I doubt), the punishment for slaughtering families isn't getting fired from your job.

And I should know, I'm a freelance translator.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-08-08 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm not really sure what you guys expect the gods to do, other than revoking paladin/cleric powers from worshippers who transgress. It's pretty well established that gods almost never directly intervene, because there's too many gods with too many alignments and agendas for anything to get done that way (and it would probably create a new Snarl, but that's besides the point).

If the gods were as active as you guys want them to be, then Tiamat would have nuked V right after the Familicide (or even as early as p186), Thrym would have dropped a boulder on the Mechane the moment it flew over frost giant territory, Nergal would have zapped Nale when he turned on Malack, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Karma comes in the afterlife, not in the here and now.

12. - Top - End - #912

I highly doubt even the unfallen ones would have made it into the Seven Heavens, given what we saw during Roy's interview. But that's just headcanon. Also not much help to everyone else on the material plane, but not much they can do about that, barring Clerical work.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-08 at 12:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #913

If Redcloak acknowledged someone as his personal rival, would that person instantly level up as cleric ("ding! ding! ding!") to match him?
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-08-08 at 01:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #914

I highly doubt even the unfallen ones would have made it into the Seven Heavens, given what we saw during Roy's interview. But that's just headcanon. Also not much help to everyone else on the material plane, but not much they can do about that, barring Clerical work.
    As headcanons go, this is a really good one. We should, nonetheless bear in mind that Eugene (an arrogant, condescending, less than helpful jerk who neglected his family (at best – the ways in which he seems to have expressed his disapproval of Roy's life choices arguably borders on abuse) and duties) would have been allowed to enter Celestia, were it not for the Blood Oath.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    If Redcloak acknowledged someone as his personal rival, would that person instantly level up as cleric ("ding! ding! ding!") to match him?
    Only if that person was an NPC.

16. - Top - End - #916

GreataxeFighterGirl

I dunno -- they might just end up to where Eugene was.

I thought there were only three planes of Good?

As for effects on the material plane...if they're allowed to keep their powers, maybe they should have used it for reparations or such.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I don't see why the unfallen ones wouldn't have been allowed in. So long as they didn't harm civilians or children, there's nothing Evil about hunting someone who's scheming to destroy the world. If they were human cultists you wouldn't even blink.

18. - Top - End - #918

...Does the Atonement spell become relevant for this? I don’t think it’d work for Falling unless true, well, atonement is done, and even if it didn’t then it likely wouldn’t last... but it’s still less final.
    Restoring lost paladin (and cleric and druid etc.) powers is basically the entire point of the atonement spell. It also lets you change another creature's alignment, but only if they want to and that's kind of dumb when changing alignment should be something that follows naturally from wanting to in the first place. It doesn't work unless the subject is truly repentant, or if they were forced to commit the acts that caused them to fall via compulsion magic, though. It also works to restore someone's alignment to what it was before if it got changed by some kind of magic (the only way to do that is the helm of opposite alignment, iirc)
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2020-08-08 at 02:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #919

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    As headcanons go, this is a really good one. We should, nonetheless bear in mind that Eugene (an arrogant, condescending, less than helpful jerk who neglected his family (at best – the ways in which he seems to have expressed his disapproval of Roy's life choices arguably borders on abuse) and duties) would have been allowed to enter Celestia, were it not for the Blood Oath.
    Eh, we have yet to see Eugene get in, so I'm not so certain. Even then, though, he never intentionally killed people with wanton disregard over whether they deserved it.
    I dunno -- they might just end up to where Eugene was.

I thought there were only three planes of Good?

As for effects on the material plane...if they're allowed to keep their powers, maybe they should have used it for reparations or such.
    Eugene is in a holding pattern.

Also,there are 17 planes for 9 alignments. There's definitely some wiggle room regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsaan View Post
    I don't see why the unfallen ones wouldn't have been allowed in. So long as they didn't harm civilians or children, there's nothing Evil about hunting someone who's scheming to destroy the world. If they were human cultists you wouldn't even blink.
    Would I not? If every person in HtPGHS or SOD was human, I can assure you I sound still be beating this exact same drum concerning the paladins.

20. - Top - End - #920

Eh, we have yet to see Eugene get in, so I'm not so certain.
    Well,
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    in the epilogue of SoD we see the final assessment the bureaucratic deva gives on his chances, and he'd let Eugene in were the Blood Oath cleared. Let's hope they'll reconsider.

Even then, though, he never intentionally killed people with wanton disregard over whether they deserved it.
    Fair enough.

Not even trying to prevent their colleauges from slaughtering non-combatants (including children) is pretty much the same thing. (Also, for the umpteenth time, no Bearer ever had destroying the world as his/her primary mission.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-08-08 at 02:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #921

It should be noted that fallen and unfallen but overzealous paladins would be right at home in Arcadia, the border plane between the lawful good and lawful neutral afterlives. The residents got so overzealous about mercilessly upholding the law that a whole layer of the plane just fell right down into lawful neutral and was destroyed, once.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2020-08-08 at 02:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

If they were human cultists, they wouldn't have been created by the gods to be murdered by humans and downtrodden on purpose. If they were human cultists, their families wouldn't have anything to fear from "adventurers". Heck, if they were human cultists, there'd actually have been a chance that they'd be arrested and tried, not slaughtered, along with their children, for crying out loud! And if the entire world hadn't been built in a way that specifically harms them, and grievously, they'd not need to twist the arm of the gods.

That's the point. Their situation has to change.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2020-08-08 at 02:54 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

23. - Top - End - #923

GreataxeFighterGirl

If a paladin stood by and watched it happen, had the power to stop it or dissuade it and didn't bother to try, had no guilt of assisting cutting down combatants trying to protect the non-combatants, and offered no reparation or even an apology for survivors that knew absolutely nothing about the Mantle, then yeah, it's evil full stop.

It might not be Evil on the cosmological scale, which means something's probably wrong about the way moralities are measured in the OOTSverse.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

It might not be Evil on the cosmological scale, which means something's probably wrong about the way moralities are measured in the OOTSverse.
    At the end of the day, the Sapphire Guard destroyed Azure City.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    If they were human cultists, they wouldn't have been created by the gods to be murdered by humans and downtrodden on purpose. If they were human cultists, their families wouldn't have anything to fear from "adventurers". Heck, if they were human cultists, there'd actually have been a chance that they'd be arrested and tried, not slaughtered, along with their children, for crying out loud! And if the entire world hadn't been built in a way that specifically harms them, and grievously, they'd not need to twist the arm of the gods.

Except, as I noted above, everyone is made for that purpose. The world of the OotS is literally a farm for sentient cattle; they milk faith from them while alive then eat their souls when they die. The Goblins are worse off by a little, but every single individual should be rebelling.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Except, as I noted above, everyone is made for that purpose. The world of the OotS is literally a farm for sentient cattle; they milk faith from them while alive then eat their souls when they die. The Goblins are worse off by a little, but every single individual should be rebelling.
    By that logic, it's wrong of the Paladins to prevent anyone from doing so. And they all should point the snarl at the gods.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

By that logic, it's wrong of the Paladins to prevent anyone from doing so. And they all should point the snarl at the gods.
    The former I don't know about, but the latter is true. Given Durkon's information from Thor I would certainly be on team "let's get racial representatives together and collectively threaten the Gods."

Even Thor was more apologetic about the death of planets then the fact that they continually reset a cycle of misery to feed off of it. There is no "hey sorry we deliberately invented death and suffering to make you more nutritious for us" it is more "Sorry we have to close up shop and try again so often."

28. - Top - End - #928

GreataxeFighterGirl

At the end of the day, the Sapphire Guard destroyed Azure City.
    I disagree there, but I'll say that I don't know why people blame Redcloak for the fall of Azure City but then insist it was the Bearer's fault that his village ended up massacred.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I disagree there, but I'll say that I don't know why people blame Redcloak for the fall of Azure City but then insist it was the Bearer's fault that his village ended up massacred.
    Wow! You're good!

30. - Top - End - #930
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

confused Re: OOTS #1209 - The Discussion Thread

I honestly don't know what RPGs you have played or participated in... By default, cultists in almost any medium serve the same purpose as so-called "monstrous races," that is they are the weak servants of some greater power that act as speed bumps for heroes to slaughter in droves. It is often the case that the cultists might have legitimate grievances against the established power, that they were indoctrinated as children, manipulated by another entity, or outright mind controlled. Oh, and if we treat a DM as a stand-in for a creator deity, then cultists (of any species) are, by definition, created specifically to be murdered by adventurers. This applies regardless of the species. RPGs as a general rule tend to fail on the "take prisoners, leave non-combatants be" front, and this has always been a problem in the genre.
    2B or not 2B, that is... a really inane question

In communication and in fiction, what is intended and what is understood, rarely align even in the best of times. It even rarer for it to be the best of times.