New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC

Hewiit decides to send the eagle after the final grindylow. "Go ahead and finish it." He commands the eagle following the instruction given by Laurelata.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Attack: (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica sputters and coughs as consciousness floods back, followed almost immediately by pain. She takes just long enough to note that she isn't in immediate danger of death before channeling the blessing of Shelyn.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    (1d6)[4] HP to everyone except the grindylow

She closes her eyes briefly, as the pain subsides and struggles to her feet. "Are... Are we all OK?" she asks, trying to focus her gaze on the fleeing assailant.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"They're all gone now," Laurelata said, "I hope they finally get the hint and leave us alone. You guys heal up as much as you can. I wasn't hit, I'll drag the bodies out of the way and have a look around to see if there's more hiding somewhere. I'll stay close to the camp."

Without any objections, Laurelata drags the bodies a bit away from the camp, quickly searching them to see if they have anything they could use, before doing a tour around the campsite, looking for hidden grindilows or other hidden stuff.

Spoiler: OOC perception
    Show

perception: (1d20+7)[16]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger
    AC: 20 14 HP: 12/12
    touch: 12, ff: 18 12, CMD: 16
    Conditions: -

Everyone who actually wore armor is fine. Marius says just before realizing his own shirt was shredded to reveal a stab wound. Oh great, my best shirt is ruined! he laughs as Shelyn's healing washes over him. His face becomes a bit more serious.

No, we need to talk about our strategy, right here and now. Taz? Can you keep an eye out? he asks the dwarf. First of all, Hewitt you are a good fencer, so try to be a bit more involved. Even if you just distract the enemy, you are more of a help, and less of a target than Jess. And Jess? I realize you need a bit of training to move in armor, but I can't accept you not covering up more. Shelyn's light is not enough to protect you here. If you enter melee, it should be to finish key targets, or behind me. Understand? This was less of a question, and more a command than ever.

You can see Marius hiding his fear behind a facade of anger.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"True," Laurelata said when she came back from dumping one of the bodies, "when we have some time, we can best do some training. I'm better when I can stick them with my rapier while they are distracted, like by a big guy swinging a mighty blade."
    She gave Marius a quick grin, before grabbing another body to drag away.

"And maybe one of the coming days we want to try and search for their nest, or whatever it's called," she added as she started dragging, "or we will be plagued by them for months, if not years."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger
    AC: 20 HP: 7/12
    touch: 12, ff: 18, CMD: 16

We massacred five of their kind, and I for one do not assume they are organized in warbands. Marius seems tired and would rather sleep his injuries off than pursue them. He then looks at the still bloodied cleric next to him.

Better safe and tired than sorry, I guess. The ranger picks up his armor, doning it, then looking for the enemies' tracks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tracking (1d20+7)[12]

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Without needing Laurelata's reminder, Jessica nonetheless nods listlessly while she channels another warm pulse of healing energy. "I- but..." she sputters at the first jibe, unsure if it's meant jokingly or seriously. She mouths silently while Marius quickly and easily falls into the role of leadership, directing the cleanup. As he finishes, she nods, but slowly at first. "I.. I can't," she manages, trying to choke back her emotions. "Wear armor, I mean. It's.... It's not normal, I know, but I've made an oath to Shelyn before my family and friends. It's..." She looks away only for a moment, to steel her nerves.

"It's not a matter of training. It's a matter of faith." The utter sincerity on her face is almost shocking for its boldness, on features more usually marked by naivety and whimsy. "I will try to be more careful," she offers lamely, glancing curiously for a moment at Hewitt. She pauses again, visibly thinking, and flushes slightly in the ruddy glow of the firelight. When she looks back up to face Marius, she's smiling. She wipes away a pair of glittering tears with her hand. "I promise. I'll be more careful. Right behind you, whenever I can be."

Only then does she glance down to the gaping holes where the Grindylow spears tore through her shirt and pierced the flesh beneath. Her stomach now magically mended, the shirt reveals more than a small amount of attractive skin, and obviously attests to Marius' concerns. "Well, that won't do," she mutters, as she begins rooting through her backpack for a shirt that isn't ruined.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Do you have enough light," Laurelata asks Marius, "won't it be easier to do it tomorrow when it's light?"

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

You drag the bodies into a small heap some distance away from the camp. Marius dons his armor and goes looking for tracks. The tracks are easily visible on the sand of the beach, but the night is dark enough to make tracking less than perfectly easy or safe behind the circle illuminated by the fire. The difficulty is easily resolved by magic when Hewitt casts a light spell on the ranger's shield. All tracks lead to the sea. Or, rather, from the sea. This includes the tracks of the one attacking from landside direction. The sea... well, it's dark and not perfectly still, but besides that, it's hard to tell anything.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger

Marius groans. Of course they come from the sea. They attacked our boat. I am unsure but we may be safer a bit away from the coast, hide our camp in the foliage of the jungle.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sounds like a plan," Laurelata said, "but not too far, as it's easier to walk over the beach tomorrow when we move on. But you're the wildlife expert, so I'll defer to your expertise on this."

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ettin in the Playground

You move the camp away from the shore. The new spot makes it somewhat easier to sneak up on you from the forest, but hides the camp's fire from the sea. The rest of the night passes uneventfully. In the morning, you go to the cape to look for the ship. You see the ship. It is still some distance away, but the breeze is filling its sails and it goes in about your direction... but. There is one big "but" which you do not initially notice, but which eventually becomes apparent. It goes too slow for the amount of sails and the wind. Way too slow. It might take until noon if the speed does not improve. You have no clear idea what might be slowing it down.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll assume you are healing up before preparing the spells.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"They're not going all that fast," Laurelata remarked, "you don't think there's a whole bunch of those Grindilows hanging onto the bottom of the boat holding it back?"

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt decides to begin the day by finally calling Lightburn to his side. He didnt want to leave himself vulnerble for long if at all possible.

Show

Summoning eidolon by taking one minute to fulfill its ritual.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger

Marius raises early, both to stretch and get a bit of early excercise done, and to accompany Jessica with her morning prayers. He just sits there watching her though his attention would not go undivided after the horrible incident last night where he almost lost her. He kept watch of his ward, as a man would do, though perhaps with a bit too much vigor as he stabs a particularly large crab that startled him. He decides to forage for some food once the others had risen though, as the crustacean had certainly reminded him of his hunger.

The apprentice sailor and Eagle knight faithful appears on shore next to Laurelata. Don't be too hasty. A ship this size wouldn't be slowed down by such minute critters. After all, the spinnaker is pointing towards us and the force of wind is not to be trifled with. There has to be an undercurrent pushing it back. Let's hope it is not caused by hostile magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (1d20+6)[22] to forage, maybe +1 from the Machete if it provides useful in hunting. Though mainly looking for a source of fresh water.
    Prof (Sailor) (1d20+8)[24] to know if the coastal structure would produce natural undercurrents.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

Marius finds some crabs that were too slow to get back into the water after the night out. He cracks their shells with the machete and cooks them over the fire. The water would be somewhat more problematic find. Marius is certain he would succeed, given enough time, maybe a hour or so, but the problem is resolved on the spot by Jessica's ability to create fresh water out of thin air. As for the currents, Marius has had an opportunity to look at the captain's navigational maps and, being competent enough to understand what was depicted on them, can remember now with absolute certainty that there was no such current marked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting for the ship or doin anything else?

17. - Top - End - #677
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I would say we move closer to them," Laurelata suggested, "I don't like the look of this. They should be much faster."

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica finishes her evening by quietly and peacefully drawing energy from her patroness and seeing to it that she and her allies are all fully restored from their injuries. She rests easily the rest of the night, snuggled a little more distantly from the waves.

In the morning, she rises early, relieved to have slept the rest of the night uneventfully. She briefly sees to her own appearance, using a simple bowl and her own divinely conjured water to clean her face, and applying a few thin touches of make-up to more appropriately call upon the blessings of Shelyn. She looks up at the end of the ritual, smiling at Marius' overwatch. "Good morning, friend," she beams, rising with his aid.

She follows him comfortably to the shoreline, where she grins at the sight of the ship. "Marvelous! I knew they would come!" she exults. She stands beside Marius watching the ship make slow progress towards them. Laurelata's comment prompts a confused expression, and Marius' own confirmation that there isn't an obvious, totally normal explanation sends her confusion into an unhappy downward spiral. Now frowning in concern, Jessica wonders, "But we can't really get out there- we left the skiff back at the village!"

Show
    Jessica is (and I am) in favor of going to the ship in any way we can to render aid and/or figure out what is causing them to travel so slowly. Likewise, I have no useful suggestions for how to that.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

You walk eastward along the northern shore of the island, which gets you closer to the ship with about the same speed as the ship is moving towards you. Eventually, you are noticed and waved to. Some time later they reduce the sails, drop the anchor, lower the second boat and row it towards the shore and back, bringing you onboard. The explanation you receive is as follows. The ship'd speed dropped down considerably some time yesterday. The process was gradual and took about ten to fifteen minutes. They've checked whether the ship was dragging anything (it wasn't). Then they've checked for magic (the whole ship is affected by some faint transmutation aura). Since they were sort of moving, they decided not to stop to investigate further and instead sail to you, which they did. They are now open to any suggestions.

Also, Ramona says they've seen no signs of other colonists and asks you to report if your finds were any better.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-11-15 at 01:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

Marius
    Human Freebooter Ranger
    AC: 20 HP: 12/12

I assume these eldritch beings have shamans. But we do have a dwarf! Marius states bluntly, looking at Tazmara. Her power of water was helpful in landing the boat on the shore, but she was probably not powerful enough to do the same to a ship this size, but asking never hurt.

Taz, can you do something about the magic holding this ship back?

Hewitt? Can you summon something to investigate the lower hull of the boat?

Jessica, does your goddess allow you insight into these matters?

He turns to Ramona. No survivors I am afraid. We just found an abandoned camp site where more squid goblins attacked us from the seas. I can just offer myself to dive down and check the hull myself. But I would prefer to be tethered by a rope, because I am not equipped or trained in underwater combat.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

As soon as the ritual is over and Lightburn is by his side, Hewitt rises up to address the matter at hand. "Of course. Lightburn is probably better equipped for scouting for a bit underwater and keeping communication up while doing so. He should be able to tell us what is down there. He cant breathe underwater though so he wouldnt stay long."

"I hate water."Lightburn complains.

"It wont be for long. We just want you to check if there is anything holding the boat." Hewitt reassures.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Yeah, we were attacked by those critters," Laurelata confirmed, "they must have a nest underwater somewhere. As soon as we're able we should pay them a visit. And they might have taken the others and dragged them underwater as we didn't find any remains either."
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-11-16 at 12:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica frowns. "I'll have to study more to be able to tell anything we don't already know. In fact, I wasn't sure it was transmutation magic until Hewitt told us," she admits a little chagrined.

She still starts when the summoned apparently-not-exactly-a-dog speaks, but quickly reminds herself that it's not as weird as it looks and masters her expression. "If you are willing," she entreats, visibly forcing herself to address Lightburn directly. "It could prove very helpful to us."

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Rope shouldn't be a problem," Laurelata said, "there's enough of it on the ship. And if there's nothing, we might have to search further inland.
    Which we will have to do at some point anyway."

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

Lightburn sighs and decides to follow the request. "Dont worry. Its not important to engage there by yourself. Just check and if you see anything dangerous retreat." Hewitt replies letting it now that he didnt want for it to risk losing the battle by battling alone.

Show

Lightburn will start exploring the water and seraching under the boat for any signs. It has a swim speed of 40.

Just in case, here is a Perception roll: (1d20+4)[6]
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

26. - Top - End - #686
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We'll cover you if you have to retreat," Laurelata said, taking her bow and getting ready at the side Lightburn would get into the water, so she could cover him should he need to come out of the water quickly, taking a spot where a part of the ship jutted out, even if it meant she had to climb into the rigging. She also looked around and into the water, checking to see if she could see something if the water was clear enough. If she could, they maybe shouldn't have to go in the water.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

Sometimes, depending on the water, the position of the sun, etc, you can see quite far into the water (as scuba diver, I've been there and done that). With her elven sight, Laurelata might even be better at it than myself IRL

perception: (1d20+7)[19]
    I'll take 10 on my climb check and acrobatics check (for 13 and 16 respective), which I guess should be enough to get into the rigging of a ship.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata gets into position in an observetion post ontop of a mast. She looks into the water, but sees nothing amiss. Some or all of the others of you climb back into the boat as that seems to be a better base of operations in a (presumably, short) underwater adventure. You see nothing amiss either. Lightburn takes a deep breath and dives in. Eventually, he dives out. He reports that nothing much seems to be out of ordinary - a moderate growth of attached shellfish, but nowere close to the amount required to slow the ship down that much. There are two attached fishes of unspecified variety (Lightburn is not much of a fisherman), but that is about all.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Hearing Lightburn's report, Marius remembers hearing something from some sailors about sea monsters that attach to the ship "to sap its speed". He has no idea what these monsters look like and in particular whether they look like fishes and whether any other details were mentioned - everyone was drunk and he was not paying much of attention. When he has heard it, he's had a mental image of something larger and with more tentacles.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Anything interesting," Laurelata shouted from her spot in the rigging. She also looked at the island at times, to see if she maybe could see some smoke to indicate there were survivors. Or something else that might be interesting.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception: (1d20+7)[26]

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt decides to at least look for any possibilities of magic. Maybe, see if there was anything that the normal eye couldnt see.

Show

Casting detect magic

(1d20+5)[7]
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores: