New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

"Oh god, it's waking up! Well... uhhh. I hear you guys have this "Elerium" stuff. If you could tell me where you keep some of it, then I could get out of here. So if you want to tell me stuff, that'd be great."

*The alien begins to look for a gun.*

"And then I wouldn't be stuck in here with you."

*The alien spills everything he knows about everything for hours.*
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

70 firing accuracy as a rookie? Man, I'm a crack shot! Of course, there's a high chance I'll either die as a noob or turn out to have really bad psi strength.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    70 firing accuracy as a rookie? Man, I'm a crack shot! Of course, there's a high chance I'll either die as a noob or turn out to have really bad psi strength.
    Or be executed for cowardice. Looking at your stats, that's a distinct possibility.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, I'm not bad either. Not the bravest human cutting tool in the drawer, but still, not bad.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I think your comments about my bravery are nothing short of slander!!!
    A viking who isn't intimidated!!

Dreaming of a wight apocalypse

"next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face!"

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Or be executed for cowardice. Looking at your stats, that's a distinct possibility.
    It's X-Com - cowards live longer, those who kick the door and barge into the room first die. You just need to make sure others see your cowardice as cunning tactical acumen.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I am very "Tactically Minded" apparently.

With that throwing accuracy, It appears my best use will be hurling grenades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Bah, stupid Apocalypse. Unless anybody knows how to keep it from crashing when it tries to go to tactical mode, doing an LP of it will require me buying something I already own

Oh well, back to the original!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Bah, stupid Apocalypse. Unless anybody knows how to keep it from crashing when it tries to go to tactical mode, doing an LP of it will require me buying something I already own

Oh well, back to the original!
    Maybe DOSbox?

It's what Steam's version runs on, and it's free.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sometimes I think the aliens are smarter than we give them credit for. I raid a sectoid base for the leader, when I finally find him I drop back to bring up my small launchers for the capture when he fires a Blaster Launcher into his own feet. So much for grabbing that one, I was very unhappy when it happened.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyracus View Post
    Sometimes I think the aliens are smarter than we give them credit for. I raid a sectoid base for the leader, when I finally find him I drop back to bring up my small launchers for the capture when he fires a Blaster Launcher into his own feet. So much for grabbing that one, I was very unhappy when it happened.
    Savescum, then.

If he pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of your men to the infirmary, you send one of his to the dissection table.

That's the X-Com way.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe DOSbox?

It's what Steam's version runs on, and it's free.
    I'm using dosbox

It's not that it doesn't run...it runs almost perfectly, in fact. It's that when I try to start a mission, it crashes. Ah well

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

I'm using dosbox

It's not that it doesn't run...it runs almost perfectly, in fact. It's that when I try to start a mission, it crashes. Ah well
    Hmm.
    I'll see if I can find a solution.

If I can't, Strategycore.co.uk might know. Major X-Com wonks there.

Edit: Found something. Probably won't help, but it's all a quick search came up with.

XCOM3 - XCOM APOCALYPSE v1.00 WORKING UNDER DOSBOX 0.70 ON WINDOWS XP SP2

Okay, this required like about a million steps to get it right and hours of experimentation. This may not work for you, and you may have to spend hours or days trying your own experiments to find what works for you. But, this is what worked for me!!

1) I started by finding the XCom Apoc CD that I bought long ago. Mine is the original DOS and Win95 stand-alone version. I got it 10 years ago.

2) I used windows explorer to create a folder called c:\xcom3i

3) I copied the contents of my Xcom Apoc CD to this c:\xcom3i folder, and I then went into that folder from Windows XP Explorer and right clicked "INSTALL" and told it to run in Windows 95 Compatability mode.

4) Then I installed the game from Windows Explorer. It complained about a few things but allowed me to install. I installed to the default C:\XCOMA subdirectory. I'm installing from the hard drive to the hard drive. It goes rather fast, and you don't have to worry about CD speeds or any of that.

5) I then while inside the install program, I used Setup to set the sound - SOUNDBLASTER 16/AWE, BASE 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1 -- what DOSBox defaults to. Ended up going with SOUNDBLASTER PRO, as SB16 didn't provide any sound at all.

6) Lots of problems here, actually. You have to guess right to get the sound right the first time, as it took me days to figure out how to run SETUP.EXE from XP. First of all, if you choose incorrectly, I was able to actually run C:\XCOMA\SETUP.EXE from Windows Explorer after I had created a PIF that set the program to run in Windows 95 Compatibility mode.

I soon found myself right clicking each XCOM3 program that I wanted to run and setting it to run in Win95 Comapability mode, using the compatability tab.

7) After I finally got XCOM3 running way down below on step 15, I actually had to go back in and set it to SOUNDBLASTER PRO, BASE 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1 -- the SB16 mode gave no sound, but I did get sound out of SOUNDBLASTER and SOUNDBLASTER PRO.

SOUNDBLASTER is mono sound, though, no stereo, so I eventually ended up going with SOUNDBLASTER PRO as my final setting. I mention that here just in case you want to select SOUNDBLASTER PRO from the start and save yourself the trouble.

8) Now, you have the core installed in C:\XCOMA, but that is only the beginning.

9) Notice that your XCOM3.CFG file has this in it "<space>C:\XCOM3I\". It is extremely important that the <space> be there before the path name or you won't get music. It looks like this " C:\XCOM3I\", whenever you edit XCOM3.CFG.

10) Now you got to download goodies to fix the video and crack the CD copy protection, or you can't get it to go. I was never able to run the APOC game on XP from the XCOM3 CD that I purchased 10 years ago! It just won't work for me.

11) http://www.xcomufo.com/x3dl.html

This one here was an important link.

FORGET about the xcom3fix.zip. It never worked for me no matter what I tried, although it has a good batch file that might come in handy later.

What you need on this forum is the x3svga.zip file. Download that one! It fixes the VGA problems so that you won't get black screen of death. Unzip it.
    Follow the instructions. Copy the two patches to the appropriate folders TACEXE and UFOEXE in C:\XCOMA.

These patches won't run from DOSBox. You have to set them to Windows 95
    Compatability, and run each one of them from Windows Explorer in Windows XP.
    There, now your video should work, when you finally get all the rest of the stuff done.

12) You have to download DOSBox 0.70 from here:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

Install DOSBox 0.70 to the default directory.

I found that to get ALL of my purchased DOS games to run right under DOSBOX
    0.70, I had to go into START, ALL PROGRAMS, DOSBOX 0.70, DoSBoX.conf, and edit that file so that cycles=max.

Iirc, it set cycles=auto, and that just plain makes everything stutter and lag and music choppy. BAD!

Go into dosbox.conf and make cycles=max, and save. Then all seems to be well.
    This was a tip that my son taught me. And, it made all the difference between DOSBoX 0.70 being total crap to sheer perfection!

Then you want to copy the DOSBox shortcut from Windows Explorer, rename it do DoSBox X-Com Apocalypse, right click on it, Select properties, and then copy this into Target:
    --
    "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.exe" "C:\XCOMA\DARXCOM3.BAT" -fullscreen -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.conf" -exit

--
    The quotes have to be there. It won't work, yet, but now you are ready with a shortcut to run the thing in DOSBox!

Make sure you have a space before every –command and a space before every line as it all becomes one line.

13) Now, it's time to break that copy protection, as it won't run otherwise.

http://www.megagames.com/cracks/html/c34825_0.htm

Select the X-Com Apocalypse v1.00 YCG - no CD. That's the one that worked. I tried the others, but they didn't work for me.

The same crack was found here as well:

http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/game...ocalypse.shtml

I'm not even going to debate the morality of the cracks. The fact is that this method that I'm listing here won't even work for you unless you have an original CD. You have to copy and get the install from an original CD.

But, after you have installed from the original XCOM3 CD that you have purchased and own, then it still won't run in DOSBox or in WIN95 compatability or with anything until you crack the copy protection. Cracking the protection is essential to break its dependence on the CD, so you can run from the hard drive. And, even with my orginal CD in the drive, I could never get anything to recognize that CD ever again. It's an anchor that has to be gotten rid of, if you want to have any hope of running XCOM APOC on Windows XP. There's something there on the original CD that just simply kills the running of XCOM3 on XP. I have never been able to run the X-COM Apoc CD from XP, never ever.

Okay, follow the instructions in that crack you downloaded.

You must find and copy the SMK folder to C:\XCOMA. That folder is on your CD under XCOM3 folder, or over there in C:\XCOM3I that you created. You also copy the MUSIC file to C:\XCOMA. And, you either copy the MAP folder from your CD or from C:\XCOM3I. You have to get the two missing maps copied over, or it will die when it comes time to go to the alien dimension. There's more mentioned about that here:
    http://www.xcomufo.com/x3faq.html

NOW IT'S TIME TO CRACK IT.

I ran the CRACK program in Win95 compatability mode, and it didn't give me much feedback, but I could sense errors. That crack program won't run right from Windows Explorer. That's my guess, although I didn't get to see the feedback long enough to know for sure.

So, I ran it from DOSBox.

Copy the CRACK files to C:\XCOMA.

Run the original DOSBox prompt.

Inside DOSBox type these

MOUNT C C:\XCOMA

C:

Run the CRACK.BAT. It should then tell you that it succeeded and that you can now run "XCOMAPOC.EXE SKIP" to get it to work. It's important to use the SKIP command, but still it won't work.

14) I was unable to run XCOMAPOC.EXE SKIP from my DosBox shortcut. It gives the black screen of death.

So, I had to do one last little trick. I had to go into C:\XCOMA and create a batch file. This is where copying some other batch file comes in handy, so that the thing is set as a batch file in Windows Explorer.

Anyway, find a 'working' batch file, the old CRACK.BAT will do, rename it to
    DARXCOM3.BAT.

Then you can set DARXCOM3.BAT to Win95 Compatability mode, by right clicking on it and doing the Compatability tab, but it wasn't necessary, so I didn't set this one to win95 compatability.

Right Click DARXCOM3.BAT from Windows explorer, select Edit, select ALL and delete it all, and then copy the following into DARXCOM3.BAT:

--

@echo off

xcomapoc.exe SKIP

--

That's all.

Then save it. Okay, your DOSBox Xcom Apocalypse shortcut was set to run the batch file DARXCOM3.BAT, if you run that DOSBox XCOM APOCALYPSE short cut now, you should come up with a running X-Com Apocalypse. Of course, your mileage may vary, and maybe it won't work for you. But, it finally worked for me!

I can't run "XCOMAPOC.EXE SKIP" directly from DoSBOX 0.70, but I could run that
    DARXCOM3.BAT batch file just fine from a DosBox shortcut, and it calls what you need and runs XCOM3 just fine for me.

In fact, I was able to run XCom Apoc from Windows Explorer just by clicking DARXCOM3.BAT, by this point in the process. Of course, the music doesn’t work and the mouse is a bit jittery. But, it runs. Run from DOSBox shortcut you created if you want the mouse stable and want it to play the music right from XP.

15) You may need to run the SETUP.EXE in win95 compatability mode a bunch of times and run your DOSBOX Shortcut to XCOM3 to get the sound right in the XCOM APOCALYPSE game. I have a Soundblaster Live 24-bit card in my machine. And, like I said, I had to use SETUP.EXE and set XCOM3 to SOUNDBLASTER PRO, B220, I7, D1, in order to make it work. SB16/32AWE didn't work, although that has worked for other DOS games I installed and created DoSBox shortcuts to.

16) Again, like I said, this is what finally worked for me. The first time I have ever had XCom Apocalypse running on XP, despite years of try. It only took five years for me to finally get something that worked on XP! Hope that it doesn't take you as long.

17) When I was done, I went in to C:\XCOMA and changed XCOM3.CFG to this:
    " c:\xcoma\".

It is very important to have that little space in there. If not, no music will play. That's "<space>c:\xcoma\" inside the XCOM3.CFG, where <space> is the space key. I hope that it stays there for you.

Now, if you were able to follow all the instructions and apply the crack and get all the missing folders and MUSIC copied over to C:\XCOMA, it will now run from your DOSBox shortcut out of the C:\XCOMA folder just fine, and give you sound and music just fine and the mouse will be at a tolerable speed, and all will be well.

Now, you can safely delete the C:\XCOM3I folder that you had installed from as now the C:\XCOMA\XCOM3.CFG file with its space up front is now pointing to " C:\XCOMA".

You shouldn't need the C:\XCOM3I folder any more.

18) Hopefully, it is working for you. This is where that XCom Apocalypse manual that you purchased ten years ago should finally come in handy. Hope it worked for you too!

Found it on Strategycore. Probably more work than it's worth, but, here you go.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-03 at 07:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Wow, you managed to find a whole bunch of recruits with lower bravery better survival sense than me. I may feel a bit more courageous, but I'm not as special anymore.

Is there some sort of correlation between low bravery and high throwing skills, because our unit seems to have a lot of them. You could form a rather skittish grenadier division.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm.
    I'll see if I can find a solution.

*stuff*
    That's how I got it installed and running in the first place

But let's get the thread back on the rails now

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Wow, you managed to find a whole bunch of recruits with lower bravery better survival sense than me. I may feel a bit more courageous, but I'm not as special anymore.

Is there some sort of correlation between low bravery and high throwing skills, because our unit seems to have a lot of them. You could form a rather skittish grenadier division.
    Allow me to volunteer for the 1st Ex-com "Shadow Jumper" Grenadiers. Our motto will be "Pull the pin, then sift through the ashes"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

That's how I got it installed and running in the first place

But let's get the thread back on the rails now
    This seems to be a fix for that problem, but I might be wrong. Not sure at all, I just got apoc for a buck on Steam.

And Trazoi, you're a trusted and valued asset!

Really.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-03 at 08:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hmm, looks like I'm fairly strong, so I volunteer to carry the blaster launcher when we get them. My favorite trick when dealing with large of X-large ships with psi leaders: punch a hole in the roof and keep dropping more blaster bombs inside until the rest of the team can think straight again.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Hmm, looks like I'm fairly strong, so I volunteer to carry the blaster launcher when we get them. My favorite trick when dealing with large of X-large ships with psi leaders: punch a hole in the roof and keep dropping more blaster bombs inside until the rest of the team can think straight again.
    Considering his heroic-levels of valour, courage and bravery - pardon, I meant to say, his lack of personal strategical survival instincts (), combined with his high strength, I second the notion that Jimor is the best suited for the task of operating this devastating weaponry. At least until we get results from the psionic testing.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Blaster bombs are the most powerful anti personnel weapon known to X-Com. To date, we've only seen them deployed once, in the assault on GIANTINTHEXCOM, and even then, the resultant damage to the timeline from the emergency defenses meant that specimen no longer even existed. When we have captured and examined one, then we can discuss deployment.

Also, at least some X-Com members, even trusted ones, have shown to be, in situations of extreme mental duress, possible alien sympathizers. As Lopez and I are the only members of X-Com staff fielded during the base invasion not to experience mental "static" the mental effect that escalated in at least three cases to panic or full on alien control, and Lopez has no arms, I feel I am the only X-Com operative that currently can be trusted with a Blaster Launcher.

Some say my credentials are in doubt, as I was in a lead lined bunker during the invasion, but I feel these are risks I have to take.

21. - Top - End - #201

Sir, that alien mumbo-jumbo static just inspired my thwacking arm, sir!

*goes off to beat Copper and the alien some more*

22. - Top - End - #202
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sign me up, chiasaur11! I feel the need to start blasting away at Sectoids for no other reason other than I feel my life could be better served by sacrificing it for humanity! Hopefully, Fri will have some company soon.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Default And this is why you don't trust ninjas.

The interrogation was decidedly incomplete, but we got at least one good lead already. Apparently, the UFOs were fueled by something called Elerium 117. Something that gets detonated when we shoot down their ships. We decided to something risky. We followed an intact UFO.

Lopez spotted the first hostile almost immediately.

I dealt with it.

The pattern repeated with two more aliens. We shot half the crew of an average UFO with no-one but Lopez leaving the Skyranger!

And this shot cemented Lopez's MVP status. He managed to knock out an alien with a canon round. No permanent injuries, just enough to make the thing harmless.

And then Lopez turned around and distracted another Sectoid while the Sergeantal members of the force took it out.

Sadly, inside the UFO things turned south. A sectoid shot Artanis. Didn't finish him off, but he was bleeding. Bad. Looked just like Fri did shortly before the poor guy bit it. Then Ninja got a glassy look in his eyes, and slowly leveled his emergency laser pistol. "Wish someone had done this for me".

A blast dropped Artanis. Ninja seemed to snap back, and managed to eventually deal with the sectoid.

The second two man team of Copper and Bouregard did about the same. Tango popped up too fast to record, shot Bouregard dead, but then (and I have trouble believing it too) Copper dropped it with the most professional bit of marksmanship in X-Com history. I think he delayed the shot deliberately, though, despite his protestations. A traitorous scumbag like Copper would let his best friend die for a chance at being let out of the supply closet! Needless to say, he won't get it.

Despite the loss of half of the command staff, the mission was generally a success. We, for the first time, obtained an alien fuel source, a completely intact UFO, and another prisoner (Three cheers for Lopez)! The incident with Sgt. Ninja is mildly troubling, however. The "Ghost of Fri" possessing his Autocannon might be more than a harmless joke. Medkits are being researched as I write this, even if prisoner research is priority #1.

To begin filling the gaps in the command structure, I promoted Alex Knight. Good man, if a bit vulnerable to whatever that attack on the base was.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-07-07 at 04:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Banned

Soldiers dead due to lack of a medikit: 2. I'll keep this updated.
    Isn't it amusing how Alien Alloys are worth 1 point per unit, but the far more precious Elerium is 10 units/point? Good that these post-mission victory points aren't as important as your actions on the geoscope anyway.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Soldiers dead due to lack of a medikit: 2. I'll keep this updated.
    Isn't it amusing how Alien Alloys are worth 1 point per unit, but the far more precious Elerium is 10 units/point? Good that these post-mission victory points aren't as important as your actions on the geoscope anyway.
    Well, if Ninja was a tad less trigger happy, we'd probably have finished in time to save Atranis.

Ninja is getting transfered to Fort Fri as soon as we need a garrison there.

26. - Top - End - #206

Yes! I'm a Sergeant!

Nuts, that means I'm gonna die.

Ah well, FOR THE GLORY OF X-COM!

<goes off to beat the new alien with his stick>

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Aww, I'm dead

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Aww, I'm dead
    Hey, blame Headless Ninja. He's the one who shot you.

Also: There probably won't be updates for the next few days.

Also, what sort of gear you want at Fort Fri? Radar base, science, storage, manufacturing, or what?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Firbolg in the Playground

Blood for the blood god! Bone for the bone throne! Death!

*Nurgle*
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

YOUR RACUIOUS CRIES HA-

Oh, khorne? wrong god. Darn.

I guess I'll sign up since I'm here if you don't have enough corpses to make a ramp yet.
    trill in da playground