New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Just research hyperwave decoders and intercept what you can, when you can. Pretty soon you'll be self-sufficient from UFO recovery and your own manufacturing. Once you're self-sufficient, the rating isn't important -- which is ironic, because you'll be hitting so many your rating will be through the roof.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Blashpemy! There's no such thing as too much money! We must squeeze every dollar possible from our sponsors!

Also, ellerium isn't produceable, and it's essential for the best stuff, so one needs to capture a ship now and then.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Default No man has ever let down X-COM...

From the logs of Pvt. Jimor.

Well, this is it. Anyone reading this? I stand by what I did, and I'm willing to accept consequences.

It was a routine mission. Interceptor downed a large scout doing a little research. We should have been facing a half dead alien science team, ready to put in the lab for interrogation.

It didn't work out.

We sent the laser HWP down south. No big threats, just a farmhouse. Sgt. Butterfly was sent to back up the tank on a scouting run, while Pie Guy and Ninja went to check out the UFO.

The reactor had gone critical, but something looked off. The shots fired to detonate it? Stirring up a hornet's nest, not going for the kill. Heck, if what I could see was right, all the damage would be reparable if the gorillas running this operation knew how to deal with the wiring.

That's when it all went wrong.

Mutons came out of the woodwork and started playing the Sectoid national anthem in the charming medium of X-COM screams of pain. One fired into the Skyranger. Dropped Dakota before Butterfly and Lord of Rapture dealt with it.
    We were all pretty near panic already when the chief came in.
    "This is Sgt. Ninja. Regroup and prepare to move forward. We can do this if we just keep (Fxazap)"
    "This is Sgt. Pie Guy. Ninja's been hit. Prepare to evacuate. Anyone not on the skyranger..."
    Butterfly responded rather suddenly.
    "To hell with that! We are NOT leaving the Sarge behind. You're not the authority here. I'll have the tank draw fire, we'll get him back to sickbay, and we'll bomb this site as we leave"

Unfortunately, the Mutons had other plans.

"Game over, man. GAME OVER!"
    "Anyone else object to dusting off right now?"
    Rapture showed more guts than I'm used to out of him.
    "Yes."
    He was rewarded with a rather impressive right cross and the luck not to be conscious for the trip back.

Worst mission we'd ever had. Lost the commander, lost a promising rook, lost half of the rest of the local command staff.

Pie was silent for a second.
    "Guess I won't be needing these after central command is done with me."
    He took the stripes off his armor and put them by Rapture.

Of course, all of this was a tragedy. But I knew something the rest of the base didn't. I knew who to blame.

Most of us headed to the mess or the infirmary. A few of Dallas's friends went with his body.

I stayed in the hanger. And headed towards our interceptor pilot's room.

"You wanted to make sure you dealt with the evidence, right? All the later killings, Ninja's death, Penguinizer's death, the attack on LA, all just to keep the first one quiet. All I don't know is why you took out the first guy. "

He turned.
    "So. You're the guy he sent the files to. A worthless lush, past his prime and not much good when he was in it."

"Doesn't answer my question. And I may not be the most eloquent sort, but I find a laser pistol makes up for any number of rhetorical flaws."

"He was a senator. Found out about X-COM, and was threatening to reveal our use of high explosives in Chicago, our torture of prisoners, misappropriation of government funds, the whole list. Threatened to blow the whistle. Had to do it."

"Maybe. I doubt it, but for the sake of argument, sure, you had to do it. You didn't need to kill good men to cover it up."

"Couldn't lose X-COM's good name. Had to keep it a secret."

"I'll honor that request, then. Shame a Muton snuck into the base and stole a laser pistol. I took it down but.."

"No! I'll give you money. I'll retire quietly. I swear!"

"When a man's partner is killed, he's supposed to do something about it. It doesn't make any difference what you thought of him. He was your partner and you're supposed to do something about it. And it happens we're in the detective business. Well, when one of your organization gets killed, it's-it's bad business to let the killer get away with it, bad all around, bad for every detective everywhere. "

"You stole that from the Maltese...!"

"And I stole the smokes from your stash. Some days, you just get itchy fingers."

I didn't feel good about that. He was a maniac and a scumbag, and frankly no-one needed to have that on top of the day's tragedy, but... someone should know."

End of log.

"And that's the case, Commander. Seems we had a spare pilot back at Fri. Nano. Being pressed into accelerated training."

"Good. Thanks for giving this to me Chumbley. As much as I hate to do this to him, Jimor's committed a crime. Give him the standard X-COM penalty for vigilante justice."

"Five bucks removed from his paycheck?"

"It's harsh, but fair. Also, they need someone at Fort Fri to boost their morale, get them back to standard levels of enthusiasm."

I looked into the hallway.

"Knight! You are now given command of Fort Fri, AKA X-COM USA."

Right. If anyone there tries to run next time...
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hey, everybody else has started a let's play and abandoned it. Lets Play X-Com!

Oh boy...Mutons with laser rifles...that's a tough one on a good day. I've only pulled it off once.

Knight's in command of Fort Fri?

"Fort Fri: Beatings will continue until morale improves"

4. - Top - End - #964

I'm crying... both from the tragedy and the laughter.... That was so awesome...

"Good. Thanks for giving this to me Chumbley. As much as I hate to do this to him, Jimor's committed a crime. Give him the standard X-COM penalty for vigilante justice."

"Five bucks removed from his paycheck?"

"It's harsh, but fair."

Best giggle I've ever got this week. It's like a referse shaggy-dog story...
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-22 at 01:18 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Dun Dun DUNNNNN!!!!

I am now afraid for the staff at Fort Fri. However, this fear does not beat the relief I feel for myself. I no longer have to worry about the Colonel deciding to practice his right hook when I'm in the room. I only have to worry about the Commander deciding I'm expendable, or Tengu deciding he dosn't feel like having somebody around it would take effort to mind control. Or Chumbly turning against us. Or Cubey deciding I should test his new power armor design with faulty wiring. Or the canteen chef finally snapping and poisoning us all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #966
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: No man has ever let down X-COM...

"It's harsh, but fair. Also, they need someone at Fort Fri to boost their morale, get them back to standard levels of enthusiasm."

I looked into the hallway.

"Knight! You are now given command of Fort Fri, AKA X-COM USA."

Right. If anyone there tries to run next time...
    "Sir, yes sir! Those scum will never know what hit them, sir!"

"....oh, and the aliens too."

7. - Top - End - #967

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Dun Dun DUNNNNN!!!!

I am now afraid for the staff at Fort Fri. However, this fear does not beat the relief I feel for myself. I no longer have to worry about the Colonel deciding to practice his right hook when I'm in the room. I only have to worry about the Commander deciding I'm expendable, or Tengu deciding he dosn't feel like having somebody around it would take effort to mind control. Or Chumbly turning against us. Or Cubey deciding I should test his new power armor design with faulty wiring. Or the canteen chef finally snapping and poisoning us all...
    Yeah...you guys have all the fun.

8. - Top - End - #968

It's really great. For the explanation of why do people let us to wreak havoc around the world almost as much as the aliens (they simply don't know). Jimor stealing lines from maltese falcon. X-com's worst mission yet (is it our first retreat)? Jimor's harsh penalty... everything.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    It's really great. For the explanation of why do people let us to wreak havoc around the world almost as much as the aliens (they simply don't know). Jimor stealing lines from maltese falcon. X-com's worst mission yet (is it our first retreat)? Jimor's harsh penalty... everything.
    First, and given Knight's in charge now, only retreat.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

10. - Top - End - #970

Thankfully I'm so far away from the front lines that we'll likely have established a summer resort on Cydonia before I see any combat...

11. - Top - End - #971

Just out of curiosity, was that Ninja's team first mission, or had they already seen some action I missed?

Anyway, great report supreme leader! Specially because someone else's death is a chance for me to be promoted!

(Hmm, guess I should also start to put some troops on my USA secondary base)

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

A great end for the Mystery of Fort Fri. And it ended on a happy note, too - without Alex Knight around, nothing stands on my way of turning the main base into Tengupolis Psionpolis! Because it's only natural that everyone worships those talented, psionic individuals.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, was that Ninja's team first mission, or had they already seen some action I missed?

Anyway, great report supreme leader! Specially because someone else's death is a chance for me to be promoted!

(Hmm, guess I should also start to put some troops on my USA secondary base)
    Third mission.

First was against some Sectoids, number two was a success against Mutons.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ninja! Noooooo.

Ah well. Everyone dies eventually. ...though I think the casulity rate might go up now that Knight's in charge. On both sides.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

15. - Top - End - #975

Quote Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
    Ninja! Noooooo.

Ah well. Everyone dies eventually. ...though I think the casulity rate might go up now that Knight's in charge. On both sides.
    I picture something like this:

1-Rookies get out
    2-Rookies start geting slaughtered
    3-SQUAD BROKEN!
    4-Alex Knight beats the poor smuck who started to panic.
    5-Remaining X-Com forces instantly rally and go back on the fray.

Repeat steps 2-5 as much as needed.

EDIT:

Won't there be a funeral service for Lopez's younger brother fallen on the line of duty?
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-07-22 at 01:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Troll in the Playground

Hello, good to meet you, Knight, sir! I'm sure this change of leadership will help us destroy the aliens more effectively, sir!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

17. - Top - End - #977

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Hello, good to meet you, Knight, sir! I'm sure this change of leadership will help us destroy the aliens more effectively, sir!
    ...suck-up.

18. - Top - End - #978

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    ...suck-up.
    Don't worry, I'm sure Knight will send him in first.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    ...suck-up.
    Hey, benchwarmer, at least I'm also there.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

20. - Top - End - #980

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Hey, benchwarmer, at least I'm also there.
    Benchwarmers have a remarkable habit of not being shot.

We should organize a base-wide game of laser tag. We have the pistols.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I always say, if you're going to steal lines, steal from the best.

Wait, what? 5 DOLLARS!?!
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

22. - Top - End - #982

This is one of the most amazing Let's Plays I've ever seen. Kudos!
    Also, when you first wrote my description, did you play that mission out already?

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    This is one of the most amazing Let's Plays I've ever seen. Kudos!
    Also, when you first wrote my description, did you play that mission out already?
    Yes indeed.

I always enjoy subtle foreshadowing.

24. - Top - End - #984

I take it I'm not going on anymore missions, am I?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    I take it I'm not going on anymore missions, am I?
    It's Knight's call now.

And I think he's of the "redemption through death in glorious battle" school of thought.

26. - Top - End - #986

It's Knight's call now.

And I think he's of the "redemption through death in glorious battle" school of thought.
    Oh. Joy.

Oh really now character limit? You ruined the irony I had! Well you know what? Screw you!

27. - Top - End - #987
    Pixie in the Playground

Hussa! This "Fort Fri" sounds like a good place to work live die a pointless death! Count me in, if you need me!

...Are there at least donuts?
    Last edited by LesterLester; 2009-07-22 at 03:34 PM.
    " Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket..."(Capt. Malcolm Reynolds,Serenity)

28. - Top - End - #988

Quote Originally Posted by LesterLester View Post
    Hussa! This "Fort Fri" sounds like a good place to work live die a pointless death! Count me in, if you need me!

...Are there at least donuts?
    No, but if your lucky HQ has the only girl (that I've noticed, as it's myself >.>) being assigned there.
    Last edited by EleventhHour; 2009-07-22 at 04:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #989
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've lost most of my internet access due to being on vacation, but I'm totally still here. Just not much. Probably won't post again until the beginning of next week. Can't even comment because I wanted to post this before I read the updates, just in case the shaky connection died before I could post.
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #990
    Troll in the Playground

I have to say, that was possibly the best update yet.