New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default New homebrew challenge for myself [need advice to get started] (Angelic Paragons)

Hello all, you may remember me as the guy who made all them disicple classes (or not, there's alot of homebrew out there, I don't mind). I'm planning a new project to design some new prestige classes.

In DnD, there are PrCs for the servants of archdukes of hell and demon princes. There are PrCs for the servants of the archon hebdomad and the eladrin star court. But there aren't any PrCs of the leaders of the angels. For that matter, there aren't angelic leaders for the five varieties of angels (astral, monadic, movanic, planetar and solar)

So my endeavour is two fold. First the easy part, assign angelic paragons to the five varieities of angels. Then, the hard part, design classes for these paragons similar to The Lion of Talisad or the Fist of Raziel.

So, I look to you guys for suggestions for what sort of angelic paragons to give to each angel variety, and then what sort of class each PrC should be tailored toward.

Solar-
    Planetar-
    Astral Deva-
    Monadic Deva-
    Movanic Deva-

Note: I did have an idea of using some of the archangels, but would that be appropriate?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: New homebrew challenge for myself [need advice to get started] (Angelic Paragons)

Alright, just gonna' go ahead and toss these out. They're based on DiceFreaks A Light From on High.

Solar- Metatron (M), the Voice of the Heavens, Prince of the Seraphim
    Planetar- Sandalphon (M), the Arm of the Heavens, Prince of the Seraphim
    Astral Deva- Mikhail (M), the Herald of Courage
    Monadic Deva- Uriel (M), the Herald of Death
    Movanic Deva- Raphael (M), the Herald of Healing

Alternatively, any of the Devas could have Jibrael (F), the Herald of Joy. By all technical accounts, Metatron, Sandalphon, and Nafielon form the Sarim, the princes of the angels, so they have dominion over all Celestial-kind. As for Angels as a species, they work for the Heralds, Mikhail (Michael), Jibrael (Gabriel), Raphael, and Uriel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New homebrew challenge for myself [need advice to get started] (Angelic Paragons)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Alright, just gonna' go ahead and toss these out. They're based on DiceFreaks A Light From on High.

Solar- Metatron (M), the Voice of the Heavens, Prince of the Seraphim
    Planetar- Sandalphon (M), the Arm of the Heavens, Prince of the Seraphim
    Astral Deva- Mikhail (M), the Herald of Courage
    Monadic Deva- Uriel (M), the Herald of Death
    Movanic Deva- Raphael (M), the Herald of Healing

Alternatively, any of the Devas could have Jibrael (F), the Herald of Joy. By all technical accounts, Metatron, Sandalphon, and Nafielon form the Sarim, the princes of the angels, so they have dominion over all Celestial-kind. As for Angels as a species, they work for the Heralds, Mikhail (Michael), Jibrael (Gabriel), Raphael, and Uriel.
    I was personally thinking of using Mikhail, Jibrael, Raphael, Uriel and Phanuel, with Mikhail as Solar Paragon, and so on down the list, but now that I've learned of Metatron and Sandalphon I think they would work better as the Solar and Planetar paragons. I don't quite know what to make of all of this.

Perhaps the hierarchy works like this

Princes
    Metatron
    Sandalphon
    Nafielon

Heralds
    Mikhael
    Jibrael
    Uriel
    Raphael
    Phanuel

With the Heralds being the ones who the PrCs are based on, or the Princes having PrC taken later in levels, like 15th level.
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-05-10 at 01:38 PM.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so after asking a few questions of St. Jude, I'm back to relaunch this project (with only half a month to spare before death).

I need to use non-real world names for these paragons, and there in lies the first challenge. Expect much in the coming days. Anyone got suggestions to start off with?

Perhaps ideals or something?

First idea for a name: Isamukemen (the japanese and basque words for courage, smushed into one word)

Angel of healers or doctors or something: Peoneir (a mash of a few pan-celtic names)

I also had a preliminary idea for a brawler PrC: Liazubuike, or perhaps Treasanerva (genderless or feminine names indicating strength)
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-05-10 at 07:51 PM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Out of curiosity, why no real names? Religious conflict issues, or just looking to make your own mythos?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Out of curiosity, why no real names? Religious conflict issues, or just looking to make your own mythos?
    See for yourself.

To elucidate: because Roland said so, pretty much.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-05-10 at 07:27 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

See this thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151989

Ninja'd by my own thread!!!
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-05-10 at 07:27 PM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    See this thread

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151989

Ninja'd by my own thread!!!
    That's how I roll.

Also, here, have a name generator that might aid you in getting some names for the paragons: Best namegen ever.

Personally, I use that or this to generate names and words.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    That's how I roll.

Also, here, have a name generator that might aid you in getting some names for the paragons: Best namegen ever.

Personally, I use that or this to generate names and words.
    Actually the two names I just made were made using Behind the Name!! Hooray for me, I'm ahead of the ball!

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Actually the two names I just made were made using Behind the Name!! Hooray for me, I'm ahead of the ball!
    Behind the Name is an excellent generator. I use it for my NPCs and characters all the time.

The other one is great for making new words for monsters, exotic materials and items, etc.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmm. Seems reasonable, especially for Gabriel and Michael, as they're synonymous with Islam and Catholicism, respectively. Shame though. They've got a lot more PR.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Commander of Isamukemen is up!

And that's the first one!

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm slightly confused by the stance on this one for the very simple reason that most of the demon names with the exception of Glasya are referred to in real life religions but whatever. Hell, Dispater is a corruption of a Hindu god's name...

Here are some meaningless but appropriate sounding names:

Seraphitus - Guardian of the Concept of "Holy"
    Mezeotimus - He that rejoices in the Glory
    Moriphractiel - He that rejoices in the manifold forms of creation
    Agapeial - He that loves unconditionally
    Scarumaiel - She whose valour exceeds all expectations
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Actually Glasya was the name of a minor French witch goddess and Dispater was a Roman (Greek) underworld god.

Shutting up now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I'm beginning work on the healer/doctor PrC. Any suggestions for abilties? I was thinking of using the craft (alchemy) skill in some way, something involving making medicine or other stuff.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The reason the names for the demons could be used is because they are referenced in D&D, if I am not mistaken. In that case, D&D acts as a bridge between creeds and cultures with a more neutral stance, allowing us to reference it, even if it references relgion when we cannot.
    If you're looking for craft (alchemy) skills/abilities to add to the PrC, while using a doctor type theme, infused with heavy magic, why not modify the Blood Draught or Bloood Component abilities from the Blood Magus? It might work well for a magiced docotr PrC. You could also draw inspiration from the Anoited Knight, from BoED.
    Mulletmanalive mentioned one's aura creating a shield effect on their allies, in the Commander of Isamukemen thread. It may actually serve a better purpose with a doctor PrC. It could be used in much the same way as the Healing Kicker abilites from the Combat Medic Prc (HoB p. 99).
    Last edited by Tibbaerrohwen; 2010-05-11 at 09:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so I have seven angels planned out:

Isamukemen, planetar, Arcadia, paladin/courage support class, fights a war against the formians mainly

Peoneir, movadic, Bytopia, healing, ravages and small spellcasting, studies the both medicine and poison to find the common root of both, and hopes to use this to cure moral and fiendish infections too.

Agapeial, astral, Beastlands, skills class that gains the ability to access animal totems and fight spirits better, sends angels to cripple the gith, ethergaunt and shadar-kai armies, protecting the Material.

Treasanerva, monadic, Ysgard, brawler class that combines the physical and the supernatural to call forth evil to fight, a friend to all the elemental princes of good, who has fought against both the slaad and the elemental princes of evil

Scarumaiel, solar, Avalon (the demiplane between Elysium and the Outlands), warlock class able to put its own evil behind it, and force others to lose powers gained by evil as well, leader of the other ones above, holds court with many lesser good gods and pledges aid to their causes in exchange for aid to hers

Moriphractiel, unique angel, Pangea (the demiplane between Arborea and the Outlands), I don't know (ideas include a celestial dinosaur master, a hunter of evil animals and magical animals/aberrations), was stripped of his higher mind and celestial power by Seraphitus, and now lives in the eternally pre-historic demiplane of Pangea.

Seraphitus, unique fallen angel, Kun'Lun (the demiplane between Celestia and the Outlands), some sort of blackguard-esque class, but I'd guess it would be more skills based and less combat based, rebelled against the other angels and led an attack on Moriphractiel, stripping him of his essense. The other angels and the Hebdomad of Celestial dare not endanger the essense of the Lost One, so they do not attack him yet. Has a group of unique erinyes who are not from Baator, but instead are angels who fell with him.
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-05-26 at 10:24 AM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Ascendant of Agapeil is up. Yay!

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to voice again the suggestion [i'm not sure who made it first] that this would probably be better served with a handful of angels that are exemplars of the virtues of Good, as per the guidelines placed in BoED.

The scheme based on the "breeds" of angels seems odd somehow, especially if the are placed in the Upper Planes as opposed to their tasked planes from the breed descriptions.

Perhaps picking say, the seven beatitudes, and assigning an angel to each would be more effective in finding guidelines for what these angels are supposed to be about. For instance, i have no idea what the first angel is supposed to be the angel OF...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    I'm going to voice again the suggestion [i'm not sure who made it first] that this would probably be better served with a handful of angels that are exemplars of the virtues of Good, as per the guidelines placed in BoED.

The scheme based on the "breeds" of angels seems odd somehow, especially if the are placed in the Upper Planes as opposed to their tasked planes from the breed descriptions.

Perhaps picking say, the seven beatitudes, and assigning an angel to each would be more effective in finding guidelines for what these angels are supposed to be about. For instance, i have no idea what the first angel is supposed to be the angel OF...
    What is Talisad the Guardinal of? What is Sealtiel the Archon of? They don't conform to a single thing, they are simply celestial paragons who do something. I came up with things these five angels do before I made them paragons of the five types of angel. Giving them a tye of angle simply expands their focus to actually affecting something in the planes.

For instance, Isamukemen, the first one, is the paragon of planetars because he is a) a planetar who ascended, most of these guys were one type of angel or another, and b) he defends against planar incursion by fiends and other malicious outsiders, exactly what planetars do, so naturally he'd keep them around. If that's not enough of a specialized role, that's what I've got this thread for. I can only think of so much at a time when I'm designing these classes without any previous material to help me. Got any suggestions for other things Isamukemen and Agapeial and the others could have inlfuence over portfolio-wise?

Working off the seven beatitudes doesn't work for two reasons. One for the reason this thread almost would have been locked (it's a religious thing) and two, there aren't seven good angelic paragons there, there are five. One's neutral and the other's evil.
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-05-27 at 09:03 AM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

So does anyone have any ideas for what the five main ones could represent besides the types of angels?

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

New class is up!!

Fury of Tresanerva

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I just saw Avalon! Avalon, oh Avalon! Someone's been reading up on their alternative planes, I see. Heh. We'll make a Cager out of you yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

An excellently varied start, though I'm not a fan of the demiplanar realms and as mentioned they could use some filling out. I'll see if I can help at all.

What is Talisad the Guardinal of? What is Sealtiel the Archon of? They don't conform to a single thing, they are simply celestial paragons who do something.
    On the contrary, both have certain themes they adhere to. Talisid is an especial paragon of friendship and humility - indeed Book of Exalted Deeds takes several paragraphs to say that friendship is the special theme of the guardinal leadership in general and Talisid in particular. Sealtiel specializes in purity and the quest for enlightenment (as well as leading the heavenly military).

Selecting portfolios helps give direction to their organization and servants, attracting new recruits and inspiring those servants (and giving them more grandeur/scope/significance to impress and interest players).

Peoneir might be the angel of the balance of trial and mercy, scourging the wicked and delivering from suffering those who do not deserve it.
    Agapeial of protection and prudence, promoting vigilance in the righteous and delivering the innocent from evil.
    Treasanerva of creativity, rebellion, and exposing evil, calling out those who threaten the physical foundation of good lives.
    Scarumaiel of redemption and acceptance.

Oh, and here's a link to A Light From on High that The Tygre mentioned: link. It might offer inspiration.
    Last edited by MythMage; 2010-07-02 at 12:28 AM.
    Everything I wanted to know about the planes I learned at Dicefreaks.

Projects to watch:
    City of Seven Seraphs for PF from Lost Spheres Publishing
    The Faerie Ring: Along the Twisting Way for PF and 5e from Zombie Sky Press
    Psionics Guide for Starfinder from Dreamscarred Press

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MythMage View Post
    On the contrary, both have certain themes they adhere to (as do most very effective/evocative demons, angels, and the like). Talisid is an especial paragon of friendship and humility - indeed Book of Exalted Deeds takes pains to spend several paragraphs pointing out that friendship is the special theme of the guardinal leadership in general and Talisid in particular. Sealtiel specializes in purity and the quest for enlightenment (as well as leading the heavenly military). For clearer examples of good themes, I'd say check out the celestial rulers from A Light From on High (as mentioned by The Tygre) over here: link

Selecting portfolios helps give direction to their organization and servants, attracting new recruits and inspiring those servants.

Peoneir might be the angel of the balance of trial and mercy, scourging the wicked and delivering from suffering those who do not deserve it.
    Agapeial of protection and prudence, promoting vigilance in the righteous and delivering the innocent from evil.
    Treasanerva of creativity, rebellion, and exposing evil, calling out those who threaten the physical foundation of good lives.
    Scarumaiel of redemption and acceptance.
    That's all very interesting. You're right of course about themes being the right road to take. Do you have any suggestions concerning Isamukemen, Moriphractiel or Seraphitus? What concepts of good can be twisted to neutral (Moriphractiel) and evil (Seraphitus)?

Perhaps Seraphitus is excess? In terms of the Seven Deadlies, Lust, Gluttony and Greed all come from excess, as treading on Pride, Envy, Sloth and Wrath might put him too close to the archdevils.

Perhaps Moriphractiel, being angel of Pangea, represents the removal of good and evil, the lack of moral absolute in a world without civilization. OR maybe he's just the angel of DINOSAURS!!!

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

There's nothing wrong with excess, but I don't know that it relates at all to what little you have already said of Seraphitus. As for Moriphractiel, simply removing good and evil is too vague and general. I wouldn't worry about making Seraphitus too much like archfiends - several archfiends are in fact fallen celestials anyway.

Personally, I'd play on uncomprehending innocence and selfish ignorance for the neutral and evil one, respectively, since that plays well into the plot of losing one's higher mind.

Moriphractiel I would call angel of passions, the visceral, emotional aspect of goodness. The pangs of love, the playful wish to pull a jovial prank, the urge of sympathy to help those in need. Joy, mutual delight, and others, together with the ease of mind to put it into effect in the world and balance negative emotions. With the theft of his mind, he is no longer so effective, as he cannot reason how to implement his desires. In light of this, his servants have become demoralized and fractured. Some have taken up his mindlessness as a significant shift in his portfolio, and embrace the ideal of innocence, attempting to avoid corruption from (and the negative emotions caused by) the society of sentient beings. In some cases, this has gone so far as to lead some of Moriphractiel's servants into evil, unreasonably fighting against civilization and civilized beings to the point of sabotage and murder of those who enter wilds chosen by Moriphractiel's followers.

Seraphitus could be the angel who decides ignorance is bliss, and tempts others into ignoring what they should not. He uses willing ignorance, hatred, intolerance, slander, propaganda, prejudice, and laziness. He stirs up those he can manipulate into serving him (wittingly or not) and distracts those he cannot with self-indulgence and petty concerns.

Projects to watch:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MythMage View Post
    There's nothing wrong with excess, but I don't know that it relates at all to what little you have already said of Seraphitus. As for Moriphractiel, simply removing good and evil is too vague and general. I wouldn't worry about making Seraphitus too much like archfiends - several archfiends are in fact fallen celestials anyway.

Personally, I'd play on uncomprehending innocence and selfish ignorance for the neutral and evil one, respectively, since that plays well into the plot of losing one's higher mind.

Moriphractiel I would call angel of passions, the visceral, emotional aspect of goodness. The pangs of love, the playful wish to pull a jovial prank, the urge of sympathy to help those in need. Joy, mutual delight, and others, together with the ease of mind to put it into effect in the world and balance negative emotions. With the theft of his mind, he is no longer so effective, as he cannot reason how to implement his desires. In light of this, his servants have become demoralized and fractured. Some have taken up his mindlessness as a significant shift in his portfolio, and embrace the ideal of innocence, attempting to avoid corruption from (and the negative emotions caused by) the society of sentient beings. In some cases, this has gone so far as to lead some of Moriphractiel's servants into evil, unreasonably fighting against civilization and civilized beings to the point of sabotage and murder of those who enter wilds chosen by Moriphractiel's followers.

Seraphitus could be the angel who decides ignorance is bliss, and tempts others into ignoring what they should not. He uses willing ignorance, hatred, intolerance, slander, propaganda, prejudice, and laziness. He stirs up those he can manipulate into serving him (wittingly or not) and distracts those he cannot with self-indulgence and petty concerns.
    Well that Seraphitus one is good, but I must especially commend you on the Moriphractiel one. I had sort of that idea, but your's is so well put. Sounds good.

Any ideas for Isamukemen?

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thanks. I'm glad to help. :)

Well, Isamukemen seemed so straightforward as to not be worth mentioning: Courage. It's right there in the description. If you want more complexity/variety than that, perhaps fortitude? Or reform? Since he fights formians, whose modus operandi is to force other beings into slavery/unwanted social systems, perhaps he could champion the changing or replacing legal systems that neglect the sanctity and dignity of life.
    Last edited by MythMage; 2010-07-02 at 02:58 PM.

Projects to watch:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

New class up!

Physic of Peoneir

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out, should Scarumaiel be a reformed fiend? Perhaps a pit fiend or (my fav) a myrmyxicus from the fiend folio (an aquatic demon, appropriate since she lives in Avalon, a watery island demiplane)

Any one have ideas?
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-07-14 at 09:20 AM.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew