New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Turns out there's third-party pathfinder material that has some pretty awesome formian pictures. I might even replace the warrior's and worker's with them.
    Is this the end for croissant-claws?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Is this the end for croissant-claws?
    If the masses will it so.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-12-01 at 01:43 PM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #693
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Actually, I don't think she loses the benefit. The way it's worded, any one formian grants the benefit to all other formians in range, not just itself, so as long as she has a minion, it should give her the perks even if she doesn't have the ability.
    Besides Hive Mind only matters if there are other Formians around. Relevant for an NPC Queen ... and somewhat less likely for a PC Queen, although it depends. Unless a Queen can bypass the normal limitations of Planar Binding type spells when she calls a non-Queen Formian. If she can, that could get ... interesting.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Actually, I don't think she loses the benefit. The way it's worded, any one formian grants the benefit to all other formians in range, not just itself, so as long as she has a minion, it should give her the perks even if she doesn't have the ability.
    Ah, nice catch. Arguably, once polymorphed, the former queen does not count as a formian. But that's just how I would rule it.

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    Besides Hive Mind only matters if there are other Formians around. Relevant for an NPC Queen ... and somewhat less likely for a PC Queen, although it depends. Unless a Queen can bypass the normal limitations of Planar Binding type spells when she calls a non-Queen Formian. If she can, that could get ... interesting.
    If I were playing a formian queen, I would find a way to have other formians around. It is, in my opinion, the greatest draw of playing a queen. Everything else can be had through other monsters (hi, black ethergaunt, phaerimm, nilshai) or through spells/powers. Of course, any ability which grants (Ex) and (Su) abilities will also work for formian queens, but it's satisfying to have the ability 24/7 and unsuppressable.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    Ah, nice catch. Arguably, once polymorphed, the former queen does not count as a formian. But that's just how I would rule it.
    While I understand the rules justification for creatures "losing" their race when they polymorph, I think it probably causes more dysfunctions than it solves. It feels incorrect to have your racial feats turn off, for example.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

While I understand the rules justification for creatures "losing" their race when they polymorph, I think it probably causes more dysfunctions than it solves. It feels incorrect to have your racial feats turn off, for example.
    Feats in general become unusable when you switch into a form that doesn't support them. Racial feats are no different. If you want all the benefits of a form change, you must suffer all the drawbacks.

That said, the hive mind may well be a purely mental power (although it is not magical), which would be supported by pretty much any form. If so, you can rule that it's keyed off your non-altered soul, rather than your altered body, and allow it to work in all forms. I mean, it's not like the formians are going to question your telepathic command to follow the big shiny dragon .
    Show

Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.

7. - Top - End - #697

Nope. Hive Mind is no good when the Queen is polymorphed.

It is, quite clearly a racial Extraordinary Special Quality, and thus the Queen looses it under the effects of a polymorph type spell. And Hive Mind is dependent upon the Queen - the Formian Hive Mind is described in such a way that the Queen is basically the central routing hub of the Formian Hive Mind.
    Hive Mind (Ex): All formians within 50 miles of their queen are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flatfooted, none of them are. No formian in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.
    Emphasis mine.
    If the Queen doesn't have Hive Mind because she's polymorphed, it could well be argued that for the purposes of the Hive Mind ability, she doesn't exist, leaving all the Formians she was coordinating disconnected from the Hive Mind.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #698
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Check my thinking here. If you apply the Skeleton template to a Formian Queen (an exoskeleton is a skeleton, right?), she would have the following stats:

Str: -
    Dex: -
    Con: -
    Int: -
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 1

Is there any way to get a lower total of ability scores? Any other way to get all 4 non-required stats to be "-"?

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    Is there any way to get a lower total of ability scores? Any other way to get all 4 non-required stats to be "-"?
    Ghost Brute Shrieker Fungus is the classic.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Ghost Brute Shrieker Fungus is the classic.
    It gets worse: there's an issue of Dragon Magazine with the Dream Element template. For reasons incomprehensible, it takes away a creature's wisdom and charisma while letting it remain a creature. A Necromental Dream Element Shrieker Fungus would have no ability scores at all.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

It gets worse: there's an issue of Dragon Magazine with the Dream Element template. For reasons incomprehensible, it takes away a creature's wisdom and charisma while letting it remain a creature. A Necromental Dream Element Shrieker Fungus would have no ability scores at all.
    Just what in the nine hells were WotC smoking when they came up with that?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #702

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Just what in the nine hells were WotC smoking when they came up with that?
    Nothing, Paizo came up with most of the Dragon Magazine material, so you'd have to ask them.

edit: I'm not sure if dream elementals come from one of the few that were actually published by WotC, but it is more likely than not that Paizo made it if it comes from Dragon Magazine.
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2016-12-02 at 02:38 AM.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Nothing, Paizo came up with most of the Dragon Magazine material, so you'd have to ask them.

edit: I'm not sure if dream elementals come from one of the few that were actually published by WotC, but it is more likely than not that Paizo made it if it comes from Dragon Magazine.
    Okay. Then what in the nine hells were Paizo smoking?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Crushed d20's, the tears of a rules lawyer, and whatever is behind Pale Night's veil. Don't ask me how I know.

Extended signature!

15. - Top - End - #705
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It gets worse. The template doesn't actually mention taking the creature's charisma score; you have to apply the rule on page 312 of the Monster Manual to figure that out. If you don't, you have a creature with self-awareness, but no ability to perceive anything. It's like taking Plato's cave and boarding up the entrance.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

It gets worse. The template doesn't actually mention taking the creature's charisma score; you have to apply the rule on page 312 of the Monster Manual to figure that out. If you don't, you have a creature with self-awareness, but no ability to perceive anything. It's like taking Plato's cave and boarding up the entrance.
    Okay... so they were smoking something from the BoVD. I do believe there were drugs in there.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #707

Your quote will make a fine addition to my collection!

(Can I sig this?)
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

In theory, a creature with no senses or sense of self could work. Just imagine a puppet that someone else completely controls. It functions in most physical ways as a creature, but only really exists as an extension of another.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

In theory, a creature with no senses or sense of self could work. Just imagine a puppet that someone else completely controls. It functions in most physical ways as a creature, but only really exists as an extension of another.
    Even things like animated objects still have senses, though, and these completely lack all semblances of free will.

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #710
    Colossus in the Playground

Even things like animated objects still have senses, though, and these completely lack all semblances of free will.
    An animated object is still autonomous. I guess a no CHA/WIS creature could be used to model something like Mordenkainen's sword. Instead of the weapon having attack and defense statistics, you could model it as a creature of WIS/CHA 0 that has particular attack bonuses, damage, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Your quote will make a fine addition to my collection!

(Can I sig this?)
    Certainly.

@No brains: I think that, in D&D, such a creature would share the wisdom/charisma scores of its commander, such as an astral projection or body outside body clone would.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Certainly.

@No brains: I think that, in D&D, such a creature would share the wisdom/charisma scores of its commander, such as an astral projection or body outside body clone would.
    But this puppet would not work so well as to share senses with its master, it would just have no senses. The master can only coordinate attacks from their perspective and a clever rogue could even hide on the back of the puppet from the master. It would be lacking in the common sense that even a skeleton or animated table would possess.

I think that kind of logic would work for a monster in a dream (if that's what a dream vestige is, I'm not sure) because there isn't really an 'offstage' in a dream. Nothing exists outside of line of sight unless it's part of the dream's general narrative.

By the by, thank you Dire_Stirge for allowing and even partaking in these off-topic discussions. This thread, The LA-assignment Thread by Dire_Stirge, is Epic!

23. - Top - End - #713

I think I have to go with taskmaster as a +3. Infinite, more or less, dominate monster is amazing. Every non-protected enemy large or smaller (so most things with class levels), given time, is yours. Suicide it. It invalidates a significant portion of combat. Boo hoo it cannot easily get other 9th level spells. It still gets a very good 9th level spell at will. Pro law also doesn't prevent establishment of domination, just suppress it and the link. You know if your spell succeeds, so cast, run away, come back when its sleeping. Or just throw a dispel, odds are if they have it is at low caster level.

A bit of gold and research and its like leadership on steroids. The king/mayor/person with a lot of class levels has to sleep sometime. Pretty easy to get them to fail eventually. Quietly say your Verbal component. It is not sonic nor language dependent, so catch em sleeping and you have a minion.

Plus 3 might be a a bit low for what is essentially a one trick pony, but that is one heck of a trick.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, a better way to make it suitable for PCs would be to simply replace the dominate ability with a free cohort a la Thrallherd.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Formian Myrmarch

Fun fact: the word 'formian' comes from 'formicidae', the official term for the ant family.

With etymology done: let's get started on entomology. Formian myrmarchs have 12 HD. They are Large and have good scores all around, with +8 to all physical stats and +6 to all mentals. In addition to default formian immunities, myrmarchs also have fast healing and improved SR.

Myrmarchs lack their lesser kin's claws, but the ability to use weapons normally makes up for that. Their poison deals 2d6 dexterity damage, making it far more interesting than the warrior's and taskmaster's (then again, poison is getting easier to prevent at those levels).

Myrmarchs also have a few SLA's, but they are almost all inferior to what a caster can do by now. The only exceptions are self-only Greater Teleport and Dictum, both of which a cleric can't use until ECL 13.

In the end, I think +0 LA is fine here.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-11-30 at 01:59 AM.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #716
    Barbarian in the Playground

'Myrmarch' doesn't seem to have a real-world origin, though.
    It's Greek.
    Myrmex ("ant") and archon ("ruler")

I think "Ant-lord" is a fairly good translation.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    It's Greek.
    Myrmex ("ant") and archon ("ruler")

I think "Ant-lord" is a fairly good translation.
    Interesting: I didn't know that. Do you have a source confirming this was the designers' intention?

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Interesting: I didn't know that. Do you have a source confirming this was the designers' intention?
    You are asking for a source confirming that the writers meant to use the Greek word for ant ruler, as oppose to choosing the name randomly?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    You are asking for a source confirming that the writers meant to use the Greek word for ant ruler, as oppose to choosing the name randomly?
    More or less.

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #720
    Barbarian in the Playground

No, I just happen to know the etymology of "Myrmidon" and "Oligarch."