New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Forum Errors and Glitches - Report Issues Here

Hello and welcome back to the forums everyone!

There have been considerable changes, both visible and under the hood. Although we have tested everything we could, there are likely to be some frustrating little glitches that are difficult to find and annoying to track down.

If you experience any issues with the new forums, please report them here. Before posting here, please check the changelog and forum-wide announcement to see if your issue is covered.

Note: This thread is ONLY to be used to report glitches, errors, and unexpected forum behaviour.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Forum Errors and Glitches - Report Issues Here

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Hello and welcome back to the forums everyone!
    Hello, glad to be back and thanks for maintening this forum, it's my favorite place on the internet!

When I'm on the forum the "site navigation" bar looks like this
    Spoiler
    Show

instead of the usual
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure wether this is deliberate?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm not sure wether this is deliberate?
    Check the announcement (all forums) and the changelog (this forum).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The forum link from the main GiantitP site still links to the old URL.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    The forum link from the main GiantitP site still links to the old URL.
    Does it work if you click it? There's a redirect in place.

6. - Top - End - #6

Does it work if you click it? There's a redirect in place.
    Clicking on it leads me still to the message about the shutdown.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, thank you. And thank you again for the work you do on this forum!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #8

Try doing a force refresh.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I appear to have lost my avatar. When I went to my settings, the custom avatar field was blank, so I've lost the link to my old avatar. I tried to reupload the avatar to imgur, but when I tried to set it here it would tell me the custom avatar link was in the incorrect format. I made sure it was https, ended in .png, and didn't contain spaces, but it still wasn't working.

I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem, as I see a lot of other posts without avatars. So just a heads up. I can live without an avatar for a while, I'm just glad the forums are back (thanks for all your hard work on that, by the way!).

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    I appear to have lost my avatar. When I went to my settings, the custom avatar field was blank, so I've lost the link to my old avatar. I tried to reupload the avatar to imgur, but when I tried to set it here it would tell me the custom avatar link was in the incorrect format. I made sure it was https, ended in .png, and didn't contain spaces, but it still wasn't working.

I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem, as I see a lot of other posts without avatars. So just a heads up. I can live without an avatar for a while, I'm just glad the forums are back (thanks for all your hard work on that, by the way!).
    We removed all avatars people had hosted on Imgur, and prevented any new ones from being created. You will need to find somewhere else to host your avatar. Please ensure that it is a website which allows hotlinking/embedded images for avatars.

11. - Top - End - #11

I've now updated the message to include a link to the new address at the old forum location for anyone who is not being redirected. So far you're the only one to report this issue.

12. - Top - End - #12

I've now updated the message to include a link to the new address at the old forum location for anyone who is not being redirected. So far you're the only one to report this issue.
    Weird. No amount of refreshing, cache clearing or using less restrictive browser settings has solved this for me. But putting the link in the message makes it a non-issue anyway. *shrug*
    Last edited by Iruka; 2020-02-22 at 07:55 AM.

~Augustus von Fabelrath~

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I didn't remember my password, entering an incorrect password does not appear to give a link to the reset password page. I had to try creating a new account with the same user name to get a link to the reset password page.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Mixed content on Post New Thread/Post Reply

I'm showing a mixed content error (HTTP resources loaded from an HTTPS page) when posting; specifically, the gifs for strikethrough and spoiler formatting. Full paths are http://www.giantitp.com/forums/image....gif?t=B8DJ5M3 and http://www.giantitp.com/forums/image....gif?t=B8DJ5M3.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2020-02-22 at 03:22 PM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Changelog

Thanks for getting it back!

One little, teensy-weensy thing I was hoping would be fixed though were page titles in the mobile theme - literally every page is titled "Giant in the Playground Forums", whereas on desktop themes the page title is relevant to the forum/thread/page number/new post/etc page that you're on. Is there any way that could be fixed while you're still working on the snagging bits? :puppydogeyes:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

We removed all avatars people had hosted on Imgur, and prevented any new ones from being created. You will need to find somewhere else to host your avatar. Please ensure that it is a website which allows hotlinking/embedded images for avatars.
    Is there any particular reason why imgur is avatar-banned? And could the whole "no imgur" information possibly be added to the specification for custom avatars (in with the "you have to use https" or "the URL has to end in png or jpg")?

I'm curious because I came here to report that my custom avatars weren't working, and I would not have know have known that using imgur was the issue until I saw this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Is there any particular reason why imgur is avatar-banned?
    I would imagine that it's because imgur ToS specifically prevents hotlinking as avatars, and as GitP was a site that happened to use a lot of traffic for that, they blocked us. So, anyone whose browser didn't include something to scrub the traffic as having come from GitP (or another large site imgur had blocked) did not display any of the imgur images anywhere.

Basically, this is just enforcing the imgur ToS with regards to avatars, as far as I understand it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I would imagine that it's because imgur ToS specifically prevents hotlinking as avatars, and as GitP was a site that happened to use a lot of traffic for that, they blocked us. So, anyone whose browser didn't include something to scrub the traffic as having come from GitP (or another large site imgur had blocked) did not display any of the imgur images anywhere.

Basically, this is just enforcing the imgur ToS with regards to avatars, as far as I understand it.
    Alright, good to know. I wasn't aware of that part of the ToS because I've never seen the imgur ToS.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    I didn't remember my password, entering an incorrect password does not appear to give a link to the reset password page. I had to try creating a new account with the same user name to get a link to the reset password page.
    There's no link to reset your password if you get the password wrong? This is going on my todo list at a high priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Thanks for getting it back!

One little, teensy-weensy thing I was hoping would be fixed though were page titles in the mobile theme - literally every page is titled "Giant in the Playground Forums", whereas on desktop themes the page title is relevant to the forum/thread/page number/new post/etc page that you're on. Is there any way that could be fixed while you're still working on the snagging bits? :puppydogeyes:
    This, however, is going right to the bottom due to the sheer number of templates we will be required to edit. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    I'm showing a mixed content error (HTTP resources loaded from an HTTPS page) when posting; specifically, the gifs for strikethrough and spoiler formatting. Full paths are http://www.giantitp.com/forums/image....gif?t=B8DJ5M3 and http://www.giantitp.com/forums/image....gif?t=B8DJ5M3.
    Fixed. Please note that due to the nature of the forums, basically every page showing user posts could be downgraded to "mixed content", as users have, and still can, embed images from http sources.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Fixed. Please note that due to the nature of the forums, basically every page showing user posts could be downgraded to "mixed content", as users have, and still can, embed images from http sources.
    Fix confirmed, thanks.
    ithilanor on Steam.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The upper left of the page is typically the site navigation, with titles "News" "Comics" "Stories" etc. On the main page & comic page, it all looks fine. But when I'm on the forum that site navigation is there, but i'm not seeing the usual links. Thus, no way to access the comic with one click.

This same issue shows up with both Chrome and Firefox; haven't tested other browsers.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    The upper left of the page is typically the site navigation, with titles "News" "Comics" "Stories" etc. On the main page & comic page, it all looks fine. But when I'm on the forum that site navigation is there, but i'm not seeing the usual links. Thus, no way to access the comic with one click.

This same issue shows up with both Chrome and Firefox; haven't tested other browsers.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default FYI: Password Issue

Clicked on the Forum button from the website and was brought to what looked like the Forum screen. Username and Password fields were behaving differently, including displaying my password in plain text instead of using symbols. Pretty sure I entered the correct password but it took me to the error screen. I logged in again (fields displayed the correct behavior) and got in no problem.

Probably just PEBKAC but thought I'd mention it. I have changed my password.

Thanks for all the work on the forum.

24. - Top - End - #24

ClericGuy

Not a problem of the forum, but the main site.

When I want to see the news or the new comic, I get an error message.

Die Verbindung mit dem Server www.giantitp.comindex.html schlug fehl.
    Translation: The conection with the server www.giantitp.comindex.html failed.

I tried to edit a / into the adress (www.giantitp.com/index.html ) but it did not work either.
    Something very strange: Acess to the first comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html) works, but not the new comic.

EDIT: I noticed some other problems with my network, so it might be a problem on my end.
    Last edited by Rogan; 2020-02-24 at 07:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Not a problem of the forum, but the main site.

When I want to see the news or the new comic, I get an error message.

Translation: The conection with the server www.giantitp.comindex.html failed.

I tried to edit a / into the adress (www.giantitp.com/index.html ) but it did not work either.
    Something very strange: Acess to the first comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html) works, but not the new comic.

EDIT: I noticed some other problems with my network, so it might be a problem on my end.
    This thread is for forum issues only, please.

That said, please check the link/bookmark you are using, or the URL you are typing in the address bar to make sure you are going to http://www.giantitp.com, and double check that it is http:// not https:// (only the forums are https at the moment) and includes the www. The site should still redirect you if any of those are missing, but sometimes your browser could experience errors.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: FYI: Password Issue

I've had exactly the same problem (on multiple devices.)

(Although, weirdly, it now appears to have gone away on its own.)
    Last edited by Snowblaze; 2020-02-25 at 08:40 AM.
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I am receiving a lot of error 522, connection timeout. It happened at least a dozen times today, sometimes when I try to get to the (bookmarked) subscription page or access or reply to a thread.

It says cloud flare is ok and the connection times out with the host. It’s been going on since the forums came back online. It can last for hours (as far as I can tell) or a few minutes, during which I can’t really post or read posts.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

28. - Top - End - #28

This sounds similar enough to two other reports that you should report this in the Loading/speed issues thread. Check the first post for all useful information requested.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Don't see it mentioned here or in the changelog. It seems the search function isn't able to find threads and posts made after the forum went back up. Goes for both Advanced Search on the top right and find latest posts/threads from the user profile. Though they do show up in the activity field on the user profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

The username/password boxes on the top right of the screen when logged out don't seem to be functioning correctly in Firefox, in two ways - one major, one minor. The major way is that the password doesn't seem to be hidden - when typing, it shows plaintext rather than the usual blobs. The minor one is that the text that's automatically filled in (Username, Password) isn't removed when clicking on the boxes. This doesn't seem to affect the standard "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page." login prompt.

On slightly further investigation, the page seems to load twice; the first time, the boxes on the top right work correctly, but the second time they work as I described above.
    Last edited by uncool; 2020-02-25 at 07:33 PM.