New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Youtube stopped sending me email alerts for new videos...

I suppose this is technically a good thing, but I missed a few videos I'd really have liked to watch over the weekend, instead of now when I finally realised they were there.

Anyways, the title says it all; as of two days ago, I've not received a single email telling me a video's been uploaded. I've had emails about replies to comments (don't judge me). Logging into youtube, I still see the videos in my notifications (on the top right) and the videos appear just fine in the subscriptions section.

I've gone into settings and confirmed that it's still set to give me an email when a video goes up, and all my favourites still have the bell icon highlighted.

I've checked my email, and confirmed that they haven't been going into a spam folder.

Any ideas what's going on?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Youtube stopped sending me email alerts for new videos...

One of the channels I follow regularly says to people to remember to make sure they are subscribed, notifications on etc because people report that the alerts for videos mysteriously turn off.

I know I heard them say something about notifications, that there was several level of notifications can turn on, like "I want to be notificed except when YT think I sholdn't be" and then "yea, always" but whether the average user can access those...

Since YT is a blackbox to most users and content providers there's a strong suspicion out there that channels deemed advertiser controversial may have notifications just disappear. Maybe the vids you would be notificated on were demonetized, or set to adults only and so a generla notification isn't sent out. Or something?

I don't want to speculate too much however. I do know I've heard about this particular issue before. And it's widespread enough some tubers regularly mention it. More than that I can't say with certainty.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    One of the channels I follow regularly says to people to remember to make sure they are subscribed, notifications on etc because people report that the alerts for videos mysteriously turn off.

I know I heard them say something about notifications, that there was several level of notifications can turn on, like "I want to be notificed except when YT think I sholdn't be" and then "yea, always" but whether the average user can access those...

Since YT is a blackbox to most users and content providers there's a strong suspicion out there that channels deemed advertiser controversial may have notifications just disappear. Maybe the vids you would be notificated on were demonetized, or set to adults only and so a generla notification isn't sent out. Or something?

I don't want to speculate too much however. I do know I've heard about this particular issue before. And it's widespread enough some tubers regularly mention it. More than that I can't say with certainty.
    Ya, that's usually a reminder to click on the bell icon. I've certainly had videos which were missing emails occasionally. Now it's just straight up "no email notifications at all" (I didn't notice Spherehunter and GMTK had uploaded new videos until yesterday evening/this morning ;-;).
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Well, that answers that quite decisively.

Shame I use Firefox and don't have room on my phone for the mobile app.