New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Lightbulb The new and improved Jelly Rod!

Jelly Rod

This wonderful item looks in most every way like a simply made child(or hafling) sized hand crossbow. With the exception of the actual bow and trigger, which are made of cheap pig iron, the entire weapon is made of a lightly colored, lacquered, light wood. In fact given the items size and simplicity a casual observer might mistake the Jelly Rod for a simple child's toy. However, on closer inspection an examiner will notice that when in complete darkness the Jelly Rod seems to glitter very faintly. The Crossbows only other apparent oddity is that it has no grove into which a bolt could be fit.
    The Jelly Rod functions exactly as a small sized hand crossbow would exept that you need no ammunition to fire it. Instead When cocked, aimed, and the string released, a large amount of Jelly(about the same mass as a small sized creature) flies from the tip of the weapon out to the range of a crossbow in a strait line possibly hitting someone or thing as it goes. When the Jelly Rod is fired the player roles on the table bellow to see what comes out of the rod. In any case the player must role an attack role to see if he hits his target. If the player confirms a critical(19-20) or beats her opponent's armor class by 10 or more she is considered to have hit her opponent between the eyes. This blinds the hit target until he spends at least two rounds cleaning his eyes of the jelly.

{table=head]%D|Type of Jelly|
    1-5|Candy Ooz(Roll1D2 to choose which)
    6-25|Grape Jelly
    26-30|Gello Monster
    31-45|Dandelion Jelly
    46-60|Mint Jelly
    61-72|Strawberry Jam
    73-77|Honey
    78-85|Loganberry Preserves
    86-90|Good-berry Jelly
    91-95|Raspberry Jam
    96-100|Ocher Jelly(Monster Manual Pg. 202))[/table]

Indeed :-D

Mint Jelly:
    Mint Jelly is a spicy spreadible delight that freshens the breath and refreshes the eater. Because it is made from mint which is a stimulant the eater of mint jelly gets +2 Dexterity for 1d4 minutes after eating.

Good-Berry Jelly:
    Good-Berry Jelly is a very delicious and rare preserved made from the famous magical Good-Berry fruit. Anyone eating this Intensely satisfying jam is treated as though they drank a cure light wounds potion and does not need to eat for the rest of the day.

Honey:
    acts like a tanglefoot bag.
    Last edited by Thugorp; 2016-12-17 at 03:15 PM.
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The new and improved Jelly Rod!

Ah, so this was the reason you were asking about jellies...

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

smile Re: The new and improved Jelly Rod!

Yep you found me out. :-)
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fine note: Mint is not a stimulant. It's technically not a sedative/depressant either, but it tends to calm people down and so works like one. (Mint has a number of alcohols, but nothing that typically affects humans.) I would say a +2 to Wisdom checks (rather than Dexterity) would be more appropriate. I would also apply the bonus to Wisdom checks, rather than the Wisdom score itself, so that it doesn't affect spellcasting.

I also approve of any new item that throws oozes. Too bad there isn't a spell named "Otto's Irresistible Get Down And Jam" to go with the theme.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

So it has a 10% chance to summon a monster, and a 10% chance to have a positive effect on a person you hit with a ranged attack roll.

Oh, and you've got a fair chance to blind foes with it too. So, more often than not the net effect of the Jelly Rod is negative, so you'll want to be attacking your enemies with it; however, you might boost their Dexterity or heal them...

I'm not sure of the usefulness of this little item.

Are you going to detail the effects of the other jellies?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ummm, actually it dosn't heal them or increase their dex/wis(we will talk later), unless they eat it. They probably wont have the time to do that during a fight, so it will almost never help enemies.

No, I think the other jellies are just jelly. people actually think that some of those things that the jellies are made from have actual herbelogical uses then I would be more than willing to add that in there, otherwise no I don't think so. :-)

as to the rods usefulness... ya not the most useful somtimes it will blind, sometimes it will really really hurt your enemies, other times it will do nothing. If you use it out of battle it can help meat food requirments. It could even possibly heal you or help you fight... it might also ruin your sandwich if you get the mustard jelly or the ocher jelly. but usually it is somthing you use for fun or desperation.(I use it as sort of a ... ya but why are you stealing from this guy anyway item.)

I we should discuss the mint thing, but right now I have to leave where I am in a big hurry so later.
    Last edited by Thugorp; 2011-04-07 at 03:42 PM.
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ideas:
    Perhaps one of the jellies could have the effect of the grease spell?
    Also, I know you wanted oozes that specifically were called 'jellies' but you can add some more in there and reflavor (heh) them as Raspberry Preserves.
    Take a look also at the Rod of Viscid Globs in MIC. Maybe you can use its effect as one of the jelly flavors.

Criticism:
    There's a disappointing lack of marmalade here.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Post Re: The new and improved Jelly Rod!

What is the M.I.C.?

Do remember that the Jelly rod is not souly my own creation it is based on an actual W.o.T.C. item also called the Jelly rod. It spat out jelly(the normal kind) I am not sure but it MIGHT have also spat out an Ocher Jelly 1% of the time, and NEVER blinded.

I have changed it greatly, but I I like the idea of most the time it only spiting out normal jelly, the good-berry and mint were sort of after thougts.

Marmilade, LOL!

Grease spell: hmmm I want to put this up for a vote, What do people think more different jellies? or keep it the way it is?
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

MIC = Magic Item Compendium

(Im guessing thats it, anyway)
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    ...magical trumps mundane so often that mundane really needs to be able to give magic a good kick in the junk now and then.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

oh :-( I don't have the Magic Item compendium, could anyone tell me what it does?
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

A rod of viscid globs fires a sphere of sticky material that acts like a tanglefoot bag (range 100 feet) and can be used 3 times a day. MIC page 176.

Debby
    P.S. every time I see Jelly and Strawberry in D&D, I can't help but think of the Strawberry Gelatinous Cube from Castle Greyhawk (the pun dungeon from 2e). I've never seen it statted up for 3rd edition.

This might prove useful: http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/c...reatureID=1632
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-04-09 at 04:38 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    So it has a 10% chance to summon a monster, and a 10% chance to have a positive effect on a person you hit with a ranged attack roll.

Oh, and you've got a fair chance to blind foes with it too. So, more often than not the net effect of the Jelly Rod is negative, so you'll want to be attacking your enemies with it; however, you might boost their Dexterity or heal them...

I'm not sure of the usefulness of this little item.

Are you going to detail the effects of the other jellies?
    I have done one... If good Ideas come in I might do more. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by begooler View Post
    Ideas:
    Perhaps one of the jellies could have the effect of the grease spell?
    Also, I know you wanted oozes that specifically were called 'jellies' but you can add some more in there and reflavor (heh) them as Raspberry Preserves.
    Take a look also at the Rod of Viscid Globs in MIC. Maybe you can use its effect as one of the jelly flavors.

Criticism:
    There's a disappointing lack of marmalade here.
    Look at honey :-)

also, maybe you could suggest something for Marmalade.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    A rod of viscid globs fires a sphere of sticky material that acts like a tanglefoot bag (range 100 feet) and can be used 3 times a day. MIC page 176.

Debby
    P.S. every time I see Jelly and Strawberry in D&D, I can't help but think of the Strawberry Gelatinous Cube from Castle Greyhawk (the pun dungeon from 2e). I've never seen it statted up for 3rd edition.

This might prove useful: http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/c...reatureID=1632

Thank you. Take a look at it now. :-) Is the Gello monster the same as the Strawberry cube was?
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes sir."