New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Organizations

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Do you mean organizations, or Affiliations? I quite like the Affiliation rules and would love to see some, but I don't think that's actually what you're going for. Affiliations include ranking and benefits, as introduced in PHB2 and used extensively in Complete Champion (including the mentioned Paragnostic Assembly), with a couple more lost in other books.
    I usually turn to Power of Faerun for my D&D organizaion building fun but that's because those rules are built for use with Leadership.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    The Songspun Brotherhood
    Let the music set you free.
    (illyahr)

History: The Songspun Brotherhood has been around for about three centuries. They were originally formed by Travelsten Eversong, talented bard and high priest of the god Illyahr, and they quickly grew to spread across the lands. Now, one can hardly enter a tavern without meeting at least one member of this order, whether you know of them or not.

Structure: The Brotherhood is an extremely loose organization. They have no formal leader, nor do they officially hold meetings. Instead, it is up to the individual members to find new potential members and induct them. If several members of the Brotherhood come together, they tend to either work as equals, or the oldest will become an unofficial leader of sorts while they remain together, out of respect for their experience. However, all members of the Brotherhood can be identified by a pin or clasp int he shape of a harp with leathery wings, worn somewhere on their clothing.

Joining: One does not seek out the Brotherhood. Instead, if you have the potential to be a member, an already existing member will observe you and see if you are fit to join. If you are, they will approach you and offer you membership. Upon accepting, you are required to take the simple Songspun Oath: "I swear to bring the gift of music, the arts, and joy to the people, and to enforce creativity and freedom against those who would suppress."

Duties: The Songspun Brotherhood's main duty is to the people. They are tasked to spread joy to the populace, usually through a creative expression of an art form, music being the most common. They are to encourage those wishing to go down a similar road of creativity, giving constructive criticism and allowing them to grow as artists. However, the Brotherhood is staunchly opposed to tyrants, slavers, and those that would trample personal freedom and creativity. It is not unheard of for members of the Brotherhood to assist rebellions against such people, in one form or another.

Perception: Many government leaders, even those on the side of Good, view the Brotherhood with some extent of disfavor. They see them as lazy and carefree at the best, and anarchists at the worst. However, most of the general population holds them in high favor, as it is for them the Brotherhood performs their songs and protects their freedoms.
    Oooooh, very nice! Me likee.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I hereby grant permission to have a society built in my image. After the devious brilliance of some of the pieces seen here, I have high expectations.

Those who disappoint me tend not to leave remains.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

So I see these things often, and am in love with them all. I even plan to eventually use every deity, artifact, etc in my own games. But it got me wondering how regular must I be around to be considered a regular?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    But it got me wondering how regular must I be around to be considered a regular?
    "Regulars" is an artifact title. Really, it means just anyone who posts here enough for people to get to know them and make a neat little treat. I'd change it, but this title has brand recognition.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    So I see these things often, and am in love with them all. I even plan to eventually use every deity, artifact, etc in my own games. But it got me wondering how regular must I be around to be considered a regular?
    Are you a member? Congrats you are "regular" enough, it would just help if you give us some general info about yourself, favorite classes/playstyles, typical alignment, any homebrew you may have done etc. Otherwise you are gonna get an organization oriented around a large pink dude who regens from everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone without the rank of Ghost (or what ever it is called) may be considered. You gotta post to grant permission after all.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Are you a member? Congrats you are "regular" enough, it would just help if you give us some general info about yourself, favorite classes/playstyles, typical alignment, any homebrew you may have done etc. Otherwise you are gonna get an organization oriented around a large pink dude who regens from everything.
    How "myself" are we talking? Paranoid schizophrenic with bipolar disorder, a photographic memory (or idetic if you prefer), a b.s. in applied science... But those are more statistics. Personality-wise, I am in constant seeking of approval, always giving 110%, and knowing fully well there is always room for improvement. I don't think I have a favorite play style, but I despise the loner rogue types. I prefer the idea of organization, because it helps to keep my mind in an orderly fashion, although it is my own strange sense of a nonlawful organized chaos. I dislike significant authority figures, especially when I don't believe their power is deserved. I've been a significant fan of WotC's other product, M:tG, and as such have created full worlds, rules, subraces, and classes for Ravnica, Innistrad, and Zendikar, with some mild progress on Kamigawa and Theros.

Or if you meant a mild introduction, Hi! I'm Jonn!

Edit: I hope it's understood this blurb is considerable as permission!
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2016-07-03 at 11:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thealtruistorc View Post
    I hereby grant permission to have a society built in my image. After the devious brilliance of some of the pieces seen here, I have high expectations.

Those who disappoint me tend not to leave remains.
    Exemplars of Altruism
    We shall show all the true purpose of this world.

History: Little is known about the origins of this mysterious organization. They claim to have been formed by a man known only as "Axon," who revered almost as a deity among the Exemplars. Their first activity began about 250 years before the present day. Since that day, reports of Exemplar activity has only increased, at a rate which alarms the various heads of society.

Structure: The members of this group, known as Exemplars, maintain a fairly loose hierarchy. At the head sits the Paragon, who oversees all activity among the lesser Exemplars. However, many of the more menial tasks are delegated to the three Epitomes, the members ranked directly below. They often curry favors and manipulate their underlings, in an attempt to place themselves ahead of their peers, for whoever is in favor when the current Paragon dies becomes the new head, and directly appoint his successor to the Epitomes. Each Epitome oversees one of the three Archetype groups that make up the rest of the organization.

Joining: To join the Exemplars of Altruism, you must prove yourself worthy of becoming the embodiment of their ideals. This usually involves completing a series of rituals and trials, randomly selected by the Epitome overseeing them. Should one succeed, you shall be inducted. If you fail, however, the Epitome shall punish you for wasting valuable time. Fortunately, said punishments are not usually lethal.

Duties: The Exemplars of Altruism abide by the rhetoric of assisting the world to become stronger. However, their methods for completing this goal are... questionable at best. And at worst, there are many who believe that this so-called goal is merely an act to disguise their true intentions. Regardless, it is fairly obvious that they believe that strength comes from trials and tribulation. The Exemplars often initiate unfortunate events and fund the shadier aspects of society, only to then alert authorities and adventurers so they may attempt to prevent widespread chaos and destruction.

Perception: Most look down upon the Exemplars for one reason or another. Exact opinions range from radical extremists, to misguided philanthropists, and even to terrorists. However, there are more than a few who seem to agree with the Exemplars...
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Exemplars of Altruism
    We shall show all the true purpose of this world.
    Melikes. Melikes indeed.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Ha, ha!

I see the cult's been busy, as ever.
    This one's you.

Occulta Ludum
    Does anyone know where Professor Aphalia's Intro to Divination is? Or when?

History: The Occulta Ludum is the premiere school of divination magics in the world. Or it would be, if anyone could find it. Founded long ago by an archmage of irrepressible power and foresight, the school was intended to bring together the best and brightest diviners in order to use their power and foresight to chart the ideal course for the world. Naturally, the barrier for entry needed to be appreciably high, so a great working of magic was constructed to prevent people from learning of the Occulta Ludum without first being capable of divining its existence. Sadly, it seems the magic was a bit too effective, and as a result, even once members have successfully joined, they find it extremely difficult to learn anything about the school.

Structure: Presumably, the Occulta Ludum is structured like most other universities. Students sign up for classes, attend lectures and advance their knowledge and skill with divination and other magic. Unfortunately, given the nature of the Occulta Ludum's protections, very few people actually remember anything about the lectures they attended, or if they even attended them at all. So no one can actually be sure what happened.

Joining: Those that actually manage to remember that they've joined the Occulta Ludum say that the process is fairly easy. Classes are expensive, but the only actual barrier to entry is the ability to locate the Occulta Ludum. What is more amusing is those students (and professors!) who join the Occulta Ludum without even realizing they've done so. Fragmented accounts of job interviews, ritual hazing, welcome and "spirit" weeks, and an intense fear of upcoming "Finals" haunt these poor souls for years at a time, sometimes even decades in the cases of those who are pursued by some beast referred to as a "post-doc."

Duties: The general mission of the Occulta Ludum is clear: To advance the study and practice of divination magic. Specific duties, however, are much more confusing and difficult to grasp in any meaningful way as they too are affected by the protective magics that hide the Occulta Ludum from the eyes of mere mortals. Still, the usual duties of raiding ancient tombs, scouring forgotten libraries and attending sporting events (Go Fighting Fugue States!) are common.

Perception: Almost no one outside the Occultua Ludum itself is aware of the school, and so it has almost no presence in the public mind. Among the other great schools of magical learning, the few who are aware of the Occulta Ludum consider it something of a joke, though they can't easily deny the notable talents of its supposed graduates in the art of divination.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    This one's you.

Occulta Ludum
    Does anyone know where Professor Aphalia's Intro to Divination is? Or when?

History: The Occulta Ludum is the premiere school of divination magics in the world. Or it would be, if anyone could find it. Founded long ago by an archmage of irrepressible power and foresight, the school was intended to bring together the best and brightest diviners in order to use their power and foresight to chart the ideal course for the world. Naturally, the barrier for entry needed to be appreciably high, so a great working of magic was constructed to prevent people from learning of the Occulta Ludum without first being capable of divining its existence. Sadly, it seems the magic was a bit too effective, and as a result, even once members have successfully joined, they find it extremely difficult to learn anything about the school.

Structure: Presumably, the Occulta Ludum is structured like most other universities. Students sign up for classes, attend lectures and advance their knowledge and skill with divination and other magic. Unfortunately, given the nature of the Occulta Ludum's protections, very few people actually remember anything about the lectures they attended, or if they even attended them at all. So no one can actually be sure what happened.

Joining: Those that actually manage to remember that they've joined the Occulta Ludum say that the process is fairly easy. Classes are expensive, but the only actual barrier to entry is the ability to locate the Occulta Ludum. What is more amusing is those students (and professors!) who join the Occulta Ludum without even realizing they've done so. Fragmented accounts of job interviews, ritual hazing, welcome and "spirit" weeks, and an intense fear of upcoming "Finals" haunt these poor souls for years at a time, sometimes even decades in the cases of those who are pursued by some beast referred to as a "post-doc."

Duties: The general mission of the Occulta Ludum is clear: To advance the study and practice of divination magic. Specific duties, however, are much more confusing and difficult to grasp in any meaningful way as they too are affected by the protective magics that hide the Occulta Ludum from the eyes of mere mortals. Still, the usual duties of raiding ancient tombs, scouring forgotten libraries and attending sporting events (Go Fighting Fugue States!) are common.

Perception: Almost no one outside the Occultua Ludum itself is aware of the school, and so it has almost no presence in the public mind. Among the other great schools of magical learning, the few who are aware of the Occulta Ludum consider it something of a joke, though they can't easily deny the notable talents of its supposed graduates in the art of divination.
    This one represents me personally far better than it represents my boards persona. Thank you.

Spoiler: Unseenmage goes on to say...
    Show

I had an awful time of it with the educational system, getting basically a raw deal from day one.

Learning I have dyscalculia (or a variant thereof) late in life has helped me come to terms with the whys and hows of school feeling so impossible for so long.

For me rote memorization and regurgitation can feel/be impossible. Means I test worse than poorly.
    So again, thank you. Finding this little gem first thing in the morning made me smile. A lot.
    It is apprecited.

13. - Top - End - #43

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Posting permission.
    Then you, my friend, are next up. I'm going to use the model of a PHB II organization.

The Free Blades

Symbol: Three intersecting weapons, at least one of which must be a sword.

Background, Goals, and Dreams: The Free Blades are a network of loosely affiliated mercenary companies. Theirs is less a rigid, hierarchical order and more a seal of quality - those who bear the mark of the Free Blades are known to be warriors of skill and professionalism. The organization itself maintains no particular moral or ethical requirements, nor indeed does it demand much of its members. Its only requirements are that members fulfill their contracts to the best of their abilities, that they not disgrace the Free Blades, and that they pursue martial prowess over other things. (Spellcasting is permitted, as every Free Blade is free to pursue his contracts as he pleases, but those who dedicate themselves to spellcasting over martial combat are disfavored.) Members are also expected to pay a small tithe, in return for which they may use the mark of the association, and have access to Free Blades resources worldwide.

Type: Fighting company.

Scale: 9 (regional/barony). Although the Free Blades are widespread and well-known, they are not particularly influential.

Affiliation Score Criteria: A character cannot become a member of the Free Blades if he has any levels in a class that can learn 9th-level spells. If he takes an archetype that reduces his ultimate spellcasting progression, he may qualify as a member of the Free Blades. A character who is a member of the Free Blades and subsequently takes levels in a class that can learn 9th-level spells will remain recognized by the Free Blades, and may still draw on whatever benefits have accrued to him, but may no longer advance in the organization, and may not represent himself as a member nor use the mark of the Free Blades.

Criterion Affiliation Score Modifier
    Character Level 1/2 PC's level
    Proficiency with Weapons +1 for each Weapon Group
    Levels in Martial Initiator Class +1/2 per level (round down)
    5 or more ranks in Knowleedge (martial) +1
    10 or more ranks in Knowledge (martial) +2
    Paid tithes regularly +1 per year
    Took on a major contract that brought prestige to the Free Blades +2 (-4 if you fail)

Titles, Benefits, and Duties: New members of the Free Blades have relatively few obligations, but little access to benefits. More senior members enjoy no new obligations, but greater access to the guild's benefits. All members, irrespective of title, are obligated to tithe 10% of their annual earnings to the organization, to a minimum of 10 gp. Although the tithes are not rigorously audited, a member who continuously tithes little may be investigated; those who are concealing their income from the Free Blades will be stripped of rank and privileges, while those who simply don't earn enough will be gently encouraged to either work harder or retire. Retired Free Blades may enjoy any of the benefits that have accrued to them, but may not advance in the organization, and may not represent themselves as members nor use the mark of the Free Blades.

Affiliation Score Title: Benefits and Duties
    3 or lower Greenhorn: Junior member with no benefits.
    4-10 Rookie: +1 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (martial) rolls, +2 circumstance bonus to all Diplomacy rolls with other Free Blades, and access to low-level contracts through the Free Blades.
    11-15 Tested Rookie: +2 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (martial) rolls, +1 circumstance bonus to all attack and damage rolls, +4 circumstance bonus to all Diplomacy rolls with other Free Blades, access to low- and mid-level contracts.
    16-22 Veteran: +3 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (martial) rolls, +2 circumstance bonus to all attack and damage rolls, +6 circumstance bonus to all Diplomacy rolls with other Free Blades, access to low-, mid-, and high-level contracts. You may purchase weapon and armor crafting services through the guild at a 10% discount.
    23-29 Seasoned Veteran: +4 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (martial) rolls, +4 circumstance bonus to all attack and damage rolls, +1 circumstance bonus to all saving throws, +8 circumstance bonus to all Diplomacy rolls with other Free Blades, access to any contracts available through the Free Blades. You may purchase weapon and armor crafting services through the guild at a 20% discount. If you hire other Free Blades (at DM discretion), you may receive a 10% discount on their contract.
    30 or higher Ancient Blade: +5 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (martial) rolls, +6 circumstance bonus to all attack and damage rolls, +3 circumstance bonus to all saving throws, +10 circumstance bonus to all Diplomacy rolls with other Free Blades, access to any contracts available through the Free Blades. You may purchase weapon and armor crafting services at a 25% discount. If you hire other Free Blades (at DM discretion), you may receive a 20% discount on their contract.
    Unless otherwise stated, the benefits above are not cumulative.

Executive Powers: Craft, crusade, gift.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Oh very nice! You put a lot more work into that than I did, lol.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Started this before I had to go and when I came back, Red Fel had finished up his. No sense in wasting this.

Altova Martialis
    "Strength must come in all aspects, mental and physical. Your wit must be as strong as your arms and as sharp as your steel." - Unknown, Altova Martialis Grand Marshall

History
    Founded by a group of scholar-warriors, the Altova Martialis is both a school of thought and physical academy heavily focused on the self-perfection to be found in studying the arts of war. Over the course of it's history, it has produced many of the world's finest tacticians and warriors to ever grace the battlefield. Many alumni of the Altova Martialis have also gone on their way to create new academies, even new styles of fighting, all in the name of perfecting the martial spirit.

Structure
    The academy of Altova Martialis is loosely structured, focused less on strict hierarchy than on friendly competition over martial and mental prowess, headed by an elected Grand Marshall, who serves as a liaison to the outside world and director of day-to-day studies and training. Students are given lessons on many forms combat, ranging over a variety of weapons, from traditional single swords to heavy waraxes, spears, and even bows and slings, as well as philosophical lessons, honing their mind on historical texts regarding anything from tactics and historical battles to biology, anatomy, and even art.

Joining
    Joining the Altova Martialis is quite simple. Anyone may join, provided they demonstrate the capacity and will to hone their combat skills and their mind. Even a simple farm boy may be chosen over a prince or noble, no matter the difference in the fighting prowess or equipment used by the two.

Duties
    A student of Altova Martialis must always seek to better their mind and their body through their study and combat, and to uphold both their honor and the academy's.

Perception
    Altova Martialis has gained a reputation of producing the brightest tacticians and the strongest warriors in every corner of the world. Many child academies have also been founded in the name of Altova Martialis, generally by Alumni and 'Graduates' of the Academy.
    Last edited by IZ42; 2016-07-05 at 12:18 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Nice job incorporating a rnaking system, Red Fel. :3
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Given this is about organizations, should we assume anyone who doesn't get one by the time this is over with (either because they said nothing or simply no one made them one) is simply an individual?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Nice job incorporating a rnaking system, Red Fel. :3
    I just cribbed it from PHB II, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    Given this is about organizations, should we assume anyone who doesn't get one by the time this is over with (either because they said nothing or simply no one made them one) is simply an individual?
    Nonsense. We're not individuals. We're each of us a hideous ripoff of everything we've encountered in our lives, adapted and personalized cheaply. Like engraving a ring you got in a Cracker Jack box. For 20 Red Fel points, name the reference!

Except me. I invented myself.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, it just means that the organization has yet to be properly formed.

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

No one is an individual. The truth is that gazing upon this land adds you to the consciousness.

I'm planning on doing one for you when I have some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Nah, putting hard rules onto it was good.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Nonsense. We're not individuals. We're each of us a hideous ripoff of everything we've encountered in our lives, adapted and personalized cheaply. Like engraving a ring you got in a Cracker Jack box. For 20 Red Fel points, name the reference!

Eh, you mugged Asmodeus and left him in some alleyway and called yourself the new king of the outer planes.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

My gut says spaceballs every time I hear or read anything about a ring from a crackerjack box... But Im pretty sure you are referencing Breakfest at Tiffany's. But I have been wrong before, and in fact usually am.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Draconium, you gave permapermission. Guess whose turn it is?

The Claws of Io

Symbol: Five draconic claws, one of each color of True Dragon; Good members use metallic colors, Evil members use chromatic.

Background, Goals, and Dreams: The Claws of Io are a secret affiliation of ancient and powerful Dragons. Their organization transcends philosophy, ideology, and alignment; they convene for the purpose of advancing Dragonkind among the planes. Their agendas are varied and nuanced, their plans centuries in execution. Most members are not fully aware of the organizations goals and means; some are even unaware that they work for any kind of organization. New recruits are selected, groomed, and utilized without their knowledge; frequently potential candidates are employed through a network of intermediaries. Those who prove themselves useful, valuable, and discrete, may eventually become aware of some larger body that they serve, although the extent of the organization will remain unknown to them for many, many years. Many members of the Claws of Io are unaware even that the organization has both Good and Evil Dragons in its employ, instead believing that the opposing number is somehow a perversion or enemy of their order. The leaders of the organization, known as the Ten Tyrants, prefer this - setting Good Dragon against Evil Dragon is the way of their race, after all, and promotes strength among them.

The organization is structured hierarchically. At the top are the Ten Tyrants, choice representatives of one of each of the ten colors of True Dragon, each a Great Wyrm in age. Each is served by Ten Talons, ten specifically chosen subordinates. Each Tyrant chooses his own Talons from among his own race. The Talons are carefully groomed and prepared for potential leadership, over many centuries; each Talon is at least a Wyrm in age. Chief among the Talons' privileges is the right to challenge a Tyrant for his position of leadership, in a challenge of the Tyrant's choosing. Only the Ten Tyrants and their Talons are aware of the full scope of the organization.

Below the Talons are a network of informants, servants, employees, spies, and unwitting pawns, all of whom are True Dragons, with the exception of the Shells. Shells are non-members who are used by the organization, unwittingly, to forward the aims of Dragonkind. The organizational structures vary in accordance with their color - Gold Dragon organizations tend to be hierarchical, while Black Dragon organizations tend to be more loosely affiliated. All, however, serve the ultimate aims of the Claws of Io.

Type: Cabal (racial).

Scale: 19 (multiplanar). The Claws of Io are many, and their influence spans the planes. Some even claim to have the ears of godlings.

Affiliation Score Criteria: A character cannot become a member of the Claws of Io unless he is a True Dragon. A character's advancement within the Claws is limited by his Draconic age; advancement is given only to those who have lived many, many years.

Criterion Affiliation Score Modifier
    Draconic RHD 1/2 RHD
    Value of Hoard +1 per 20,000 gp
    Ranks in Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), and Knowledge (the planes) +1/4 per rank, rounded down
    5 or more combined ranks in Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), and Knowledge (the planes) +1
    10 or more combined ranks in Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), and Knowledge (the planes) +2
    Knowingly performed a minor task for the Claws of Io +1 (-2 if you fail)
    Knowingly performed a major task for the Claws of Io +2 (-4 if you fail)

Titles, Benefits, and Duties: Members of the Claws of Io do not owe tithes or duties in the traditional sense. What they owe is a dual obligation of total obedience and total discretion. Insubordination is punishable by immediate execution, a task carried out even by the most noble and Good dragons, as the organization's aims take precedent over any individual member's life. And no creature, not even Dragons, may become aware of the organization's existence; indiscretion results in the execution of the errant member, as well as any creature to whom they might have disclosed their knowledge.

Affiliation Score Title: Benefits and Duties Draconic Age Requirement
    3 or lower No rank. In fact, at rank 3 or lower, a member is unaware that he even serves the organization. Must be a True Dragon of at least Adult age.
    4-10 Dreaming: +2 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), and Spellcraft rolls, +2 circumstance bonus to the save DC of your Frightful Presence. Must be a True Dragon of at least Mature Adult age.
    11-15 Sleeping: +4 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), and Knowledge (the planes) rolls, +4 circumstance bonus to the save DC of your Frightful Presence, +1 circumstance bonus to your spell resistance and damage reduction. Must be a True Dragon of at least Old age.
    16-22 Awakened: +6 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), and Knowledge (the planes) rolls, +6 circumstance bonus to the save DC of your Frightful Presence, +2 circumstance bonus to your spell resistance and damage reduction, and treat yourself as one age category higher for the purposes of calculating your breath weapon's damage and save DC. Must be a True Dragon of at least Very Old age.
    23-29 Learned: +8 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), and Knowledge (the planes) rolls, +8 circumstance bonus to the save DC of your Frightful Presence, +4 circumstance bonus to your spell resistance and damage reduction, treat yourself as two age categories higher for the purposes of calculating your breath weapon's damage and save DC, and +1 circumstance bonus to your CL for all spells and spell-like abilities and effects. Must be a True Dragon of at least Ancient age.
    30 or higher Enlightened: +10 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), and Knowledge (the planes) rolls, +10 circumstance bonus to the save DC of your Frightful Presence, +8 circumstance bonus to your spell resistance and damage reduction, treat yourself as three age categories higher for the purposes of calculating your breath weapon's damage and save DC, and +2 circumstance bonus to your CL for all spells and spell-like abilities and effects. Additionally, treat yourself as if you have gained an additional level in any one spellcasting class you have taken, for purposes of spells known/prepared and caster level. Alternatively, or if you have not taken any spellcasting class levels, you may treat your effective Sorcerer level as one higher. Must be a True Dragon of at least Wyrm age.
    Unless otherwise stated, the benefits above are not cumulative.

Executive Powers: Gift, harvest, shadow war.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Draconium, you gave permapermission. Guess whose turn it is?

The Claws of Io
    Yessss... I love it. Red Fel, sir, you have truly outdone yourself. I commend you.

Extended Signature Link

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

My gut says spaceballs every time I hear or read anything about a ring from a crackerjack box... But Im pretty sure you are referencing Breakfest at Tiffany's. But I have been wrong before, and in fact usually am.
    I am indeed referencing Breakfast and Tiffany's! Re-watched it again recently. Loathe that female lead. Love the actress, loathe the character. But good movie overall.

Yessss... I love it. Red Fel, sir, you have truly outdone yourself. I commend you.
    Just remember, when Dragonkind comes to power, who helped found the body enabling them to do so.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground

And now it's time for Illven to make some organizations!

The organization of Teloniuses

Symbol A nose smelling smelly scents.

Motto "Our quarry will never escape!"

Background. The organization of Teloniuses started many years ago, a Ranger tired of his or hers kingdoms poor information on their many enemies leading to constant escapes decided to form a group that would stop at nothing to hunt down criminals. Overtime this lawful drive, turned. SoonThe Teloniusesians were tracking down anyone who had the ability to pay the high costs for their services.

Enemies, Allies The Teloniuses enemies are effectively whatever has an easy escape option. Powerful outsiders with their ability to teleport at will are among the organizations most detested enemies. They have allies however in most churches which craft powerful scrolls to bar extra-dimensonal travel.

Type Business

Scale City (6)

Affiliation score criteria.

Criterion Affiliation score modifier
    Character level +1/2 per level.
    Has 5 or more ranks in Survival +1
    Has 10 or more ranks in Survival +2
    Has the track feat. +1
    Can cast Dimensional anchor +1
    Can cast Dimensional lock +2
    Recruits a new member into the affiliation +1

Affliction score

Score Title Benefits
    10 or lower Apprentice None
    11-20 Hunter A personal valet (Of CR 1 or lower)
    21-29 Hunter of blood Personal honor guard of 4–6 appropriate creatures (EL 8)
    30 or higher Hunter beyond death! Personal honor guard of 4–12 appropriate creatures (EL 12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

28. - Top - End - #58

Oh boy! A new thread! Time to catch up...
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I always liked the idea of using organizations from PHBII, but my players never had any interest . I shall finally get a chance to do something with them, once I get my hands on my copy at home.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler: BACK!
    Show