New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Anyone want to make/have their vestige be The Adversary? Then we could have a flavorful connection and have a restriction that the two can't be bound at the same time.
    my paimon and the duelist bastar(aka wizards original paimon)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Eh, here's something at least. Comes with a free feat thrown in.
    Ah, it is time, let us see how you've met my challenge
    and slowly but surely this drove him made.
    Typo.
    Serving first one cause and then its opposition, always in the name of the Greater Good of the Balance of the cosmos.
    The only fluff part that I particularly dislike: the "fighting for both sides to enforce Balance" concept some people apply to Neutral make me rage. Tormented by multiple realities unto exhaustion instead of heroically mastering them? Fair enough, plenty of vestiges are rooted in stories they simply aren't allowed to win, it just means you fold this one in and keep spinning lives until one finds the solution. Intentionally fighting on both sides and/or being horrified to realize it, sure, but never in the name of "balance," that's not a real reason.
    Some take this even further and claim that Fizban is the last vestige, and that every vestige was but one of his many lives.
    A suitably ego-stoking legend.
    Influence: While under Fizban’s influence you are grasped by a great lethargy, and general experience of being fed up with having to do great deeds and a desire to just relax into a slovenly sabbatical. You may not take any action which does not provide you with immediate rewards, although this can include such rewards as ‘not being killed’ or ‘getting the party rogue to stop poking me with a stick while demanding I go on the adventure’.
    Truly a manifestation from the future as one couldn't possibly be tired of the tiny amount of adventuring I've managed to do so far.
    Moment of Divergence:
    I generally wouldn't call re-rolling skills a manipulation of fate, but if it allowed attacks and saves it would be good enough there's be no room left for the rest.
    Aspect of the Berserker. . . Most crusaders
    Missed substitution.
    this DR applies to damage as it empties from your pool.
    Does it apply once as the whole pool empties at the end of the (next) turn (making it insignificant), or to each blow as it was originally taken before going to the pool (making it a wacky snowball effect)? The latter results in situations where you could take a flurry of light damage over two rounds and from that damage build up the DR needed to mostly negate all the light hits, which is a pretty good ability.
    Aspect of the Blessed:
    And that's where it takes the dive. Effectively comes down to a few non-leveled powers in Hide from Undead, Lesser Restoration, Resist Energy?, Silence, and Invisibility Purge (not really counting the 4th level tier at epic), and some tiny buffs you might use since alongside whichever one of those spells you were actually going for.
    Aspect of the Champion: You gain maneuvers from the list to follow.
    This one feels like it works much better, I don't much like White Raven but by focusing on the roll manipulation and team maneuvers it has more level appropriate stuff without actually having the best.
    Aspect of the Knight:
    Simple, effective, very much like the Binder's own Pact Augmentations. I especially like a way of getting Power Attack without wasting your own feats, one of the biggest problems with a supposedly versatile class is needing to take such a non-versatile feat just so you can participate in melee-day.
    Aspect of the Summoner: You gain the ability to bind an additional vestige. This must be a 1st level vestige if your binder level is 8 or less, a 1st or 2nd level vestige if your binder level is 18 or less, or a 3rd level or lower vestige if your binder level is 19 or higher.
    o.O ! Now that's an ability, turtles all the way down indeed. Theoretically helps circumvent one of the worst restrictions of the Binder, assuming there's one of the other aspects here that pairs nicely with a 1st level vestige you still want (as I again ignore anything past 18th). Basically lets you upgrade the weakest vestiges by combining them with Fizban.
    Aspect of the Thief:
    Simple enough.
    Aspect of the Witch:
    Same effect as before, I see you included Grease but not the other big 2 (Web and Stinking Cloud), probably for the best as I nerf bat those two anyway. Still higher punching than the servant soul version, but no armored casting clause is a big enough drawback I'd not expect to see it in combat.

Oddly enough, while I hate the set of SLAs used by the caster masks in Master of Masks (because it's a 10 level PrC and they're terrible) I think that method would work better here, at least for allowing more powerful spells. Of course then it wouldn't have the expected level of multiply watered down to nothingness, and guaranteed item activation is pretty useful and leans into the real use below. As is befitting any 3.5 "versatile" effect, the most powerful options are always those that simply stack bonuses onto melee, in this case Berserker+Knight, which feels like it should work a lot better than most of the base vestiges at straight brawling since they're not very good at it. It makes sense that the vestige which is trying to do everything, is in the end mostly useful for picking up the minor abilities that other vestiges can't be bothered to give you, which becomes it's real purpose.
    For Contractors: Path of the Blackened Edge
    I think you meant Blade, since I don't see any Edge on the lists.
    Vestige Mastery – Fizban [General]
    You have a greater mastery of the many aspected vestige Fizban.
    Prerequisites: Effective Binder Level 10, Favored Vestige (Fizban).
    Benefit: When you bind Fizban, the Many Lived, you may reduce your effective binder level for the purposes of the abilities he grants you by 3 to replace Two-Fold Aspect with Three-Fold Aspect allowing you to select 3 of his aspects instead of 2; if your effective binder level to bind Fizban, the Many Lived, is at least 14 you may reduce it by 6 (total) to gain a 4th aspect, if it is at least 17 you may reduce it by 9 to gain a 5th aspect, if it is at least 20 you may reduce it by 12 to gain a 6th aspect.
    Hahaha, that is one of the best diminishing return "trap" feats I've ever seen, it's gold. Since it's still actually useful thanks to the minimum ability of each aspect, with this feat you can pick up cleric and wizard item activation, trapfinding, martial weapons and power attack, wall of blades, and another 1st level vestige, all in a single vestige slot so you can still bind other level appropriate stuff (which is all the more important if you're that high of a level). It takes the support effect of the main vestige and amplifies it in a nice backwards weaker is better sort of result, the dip-master of vestiges.

So all in all, while I wouldn't consider myself fully equipped to rate vestige balance on account of my considering the whole class underpowered and just not having all the vestiges memorized, the fact that this Many-Lived Fizban takes a new niche of filling out dip abilities that aren't served by other vestiges makes me lean towards totally acceptable. No flashy central power other than Berserker, but trying to mimic too many classes at once does result in a pretty useful benefit when grafted on to main class that still has room to use it's other powers at full strength.
    Though the question remains is it [Imperator Mark V] remotely balanced and I don't really know if it is.
    The Right Arm's increased iterative attacks is enough to make Warlocks sad and the Left Arm's full damage is ~6/level, both stronger than I'd expect to see on a vestige. Remote Combat System seems roughly equivalent to a maximized or empowered summon monster of three levels below max, usable 1/hour with granularity, and certainly not as bad as Zyc-whatever. The biggest problem would be detonating them for 3d6/level each, which is a ton of damage even for a non-binder, but seems to be restricted by the time limit for a 5 minute wait followed by 1 hour cooldown. Makes it one of the best ways to blast a sudden hole in something that's not Disintigrate but requires such a perfect setup that if you manage it in combat you deserved it.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you meant to say "thank you", right? Yeah, I'm sure that was it.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, it is time, let us see how you've met my challenge

Typo.

The only fluff part that I particularly dislike: the "fighting for both sides to enforce Balance" concept some people apply to Neutral make me rage. Tormented by multiple realities unto exhaustion instead of heroically mastering them? Fair enough, plenty of vestiges are rooted in stories they simply aren't allowed to win, it just means you fold this one in and keep spinning lives until one finds the solution. Intentionally fighting on both sides and/or being horrified to realize it, sure, but never in the name of "balance," that's not a real reason.
    Reference to Moorcock in this case (whole eternal champion thing). Not really a True Neutral thing, that was stupid when AD&D did it and... having read some things Gygax said about alignment he wasn't very consistent in its application. It'd be more 'greater good' than True Neutral and the greater good can range from Chaotic Good to Lawful Evil and every alignment in between.

A suitably ego-stoking legend.

Truly a manifestation from the future as one couldn't possibly be tired of the tiny amount of adventuring I've managed to do so far.

I generally wouldn't call re-rolling skills a manipulation of fate, but if it allowed attacks and saves it would be good enough there's be no room left for the rest.
    Yeah, it was tacked on at the end just so that things that he had a 5 round cool down ability.

Missed substitution.

Does it apply once as the whole pool empties at the end of the (next) turn (making it insignificant), or to each blow as it was originally taken before going to the pool (making it a wacky snowball effect)? The latter results in situations where you could take a flurry of light damage over two rounds and from that damage build up the DR needed to mostly negate all the light hits, which is a pretty good ability.
    The DR is gained as you take damage so if you took 10 hits that dealt 8 damage each, you'd get DR 1 after 1 hit (8 damage), DR 3 after 2 (15 damage), DR 4 after 3 (20 damage), DR 5 after 5 (28 damage), DR 6 after 6 (31 damage), and DR 7 after the 8th attack (35 damage), then when the pool emptied you'd take 35 damage - 7 for DR so instead of taking 64 damage you took a grand total of 28.

And that's where it takes the dive. Effectively comes down to a few non-leveled powers in Hide from Undead, Lesser Restoration, Resist Energy?, Silence, and Invisibility Purge (not really counting the 4th level tier at epic), and some tiny buffs you might use since alongside whichever one of those spells you were actually going for.
    At one point I had it at 1/2 caster level and realized that was way too much. I mean you already can get almost as much casting as a paladin (not that that is saying much) but short of Zcyrill or whatever his name is vestiges don't give you the stuff to play at the Bard/DN/Beguiler levels for the most part.

This one feels like it works much better, I don't much like White Raven but by focusing on the roll manipulation and team maneuvers it has more level appropriate stuff without actually having the best.
    ToB effects are about in line with vestige ones... though this is probably strong for a vestige just for sheer number many of them are lower level effects by the time you get them.

Simple, effective, very much like the Binder's own Pact Augmentations. I especially like a way of getting Power Attack without wasting your own feats, one of the biggest problems with a supposedly versatile class is needing to take such a non-versatile feat just so you can participate in melee-day.
    This does remind me of why I wanted to rant about binders and feat options earlier (PA was a notable offender).

o.O ! Now that's an ability, turtles all the way down indeed. Theoretically helps circumvent one of the worst restrictions of the Binder, assuming there's one of the other aspects here that pairs nicely with a 1st level vestige you still want (as I again ignore anything past 18th). Basically lets you upgrade the weakest vestiges by combining them with Fizban.
    Yep. Though you get 2nd once your... I worded that ability funny since it goes '8 or less' and then '18 or less' which as written gives you 2nd level vestiges immediately an... I'm gonna fix that.

Simple enough.

Same effect as before, I see you included Grease but not the other big 2 (Web and Stinking Cloud), probably for the best as I nerf bat those two anyway. Still higher punching than the servant soul version, but no armored casting clause is a big enough drawback I'd not expect to see it in combat.
    I usually see Glitterdust included with Grease/Web/Stinking Cloud and figured 2 of the 4 was enough, especially since I keep intending to nerf bat most of them.

Oddly enough, while I hate the set of SLAs used by the caster masks in Master of Masks (because it's a 10 level PrC and they're terrible) I think that method would work better here, at least for allowing more powerful spells. Of course then it wouldn't have the expected level of multiply watered down to nothingness, and guaranteed item activation is pretty useful and leans into the real use below. As is befitting any 3.5 "versatile" effect, the most powerful options are always those that simply stack bonuses onto melee, in this case Berserker+Knight, which feels like it should work a lot better than most of the base vestiges at straight brawling since they're not very good at it. It makes sense that the vestige which is trying to do everything, is in the end mostly useful for picking up the minor abilities that other vestiges can't be bothered to give you, which becomes it's real purpose.
    I'll have to glance at Master of Masks again at some point, and yeah Berserker+Knight is probably the powerhouse combination, gives you an important feat, 2 useful feats, +2 to hit, your fourth iterative (which with Pact Augmentation can give you better to hit than a full BAB character before the +2 to hit), and then Berserker's snowball.

I think you meant Blade, since I don't see any Edge on the lists.
    Probably.

Hahaha, that is one of the best diminishing return "trap" feats I've ever seen, it's gold. Since it's still actually useful thanks to the minimum ability of each aspect, with this feat you can pick up cleric and wizard item activation, trapfinding, martial weapons and power attack, wall of blades, and another 1st level vestige, all in a single vestige slot so you can still bind other level appropriate stuff (which is all the more important if you're that high of a level). It takes the support effect of the main vestige and amplifies it in a nice backwards weaker is better sort of result, the dip-master of vestiges.
    Exactly.

So all in all, while I wouldn't consider myself fully equipped to rate vestige balance on account of my considering the whole class underpowered and just not having all the vestiges memorized, the fact that this Many-Lived Fizban takes a new niche of filling out dip abilities that aren't served by other vestiges makes me lean towards totally acceptable. No flashy central power other than Berserker, but trying to mimic too many classes at once does result in a pretty useful benefit when grafted on to main class that still has room to use it's other powers at full strength.
    You know I don't think I've ever actually seen a binder in play for more than half an encounter except as an NPC.

The Right Arm's increased iterative attacks is enough to make Warlocks sad and the Left Arm's full damage is ~6/level, both stronger than I'd expect to see on a vestige. Remote Combat System seems roughly equivalent to a maximized or empowered summon monster of three levels below max, usable 1/hour with granularity, and certainly not as bad as Zyc-whatever. The biggest problem would be detonating them for 3d6/level each, which is a ton of damage even for a non-binder, but seems to be restricted by the time limit for a 5 minute wait followed by 1 hour cooldown. Makes it one of the best ways to blast a sudden hole in something that's not Disintigrate but requires such a perfect setup that if you manage it in combat you deserved it.
    Full iterative with Right Arm is 6 attacks at 2d6 each, or 12d6 damage (if the attack at +2 + Dex hits which it is unlikely to with high level fiends), Warlock is dealing 11d6 with Chausable of Fell Power with basic blast, probably higher, 17d6 with hellfire, and 51d6 with hellfire + eldritch glaive. Also making baseline warlock EB damage sad is probably a good thing (32.5 damage/round is not very useful at 20th level). Left Arm's full damage however is about twice the norm for binder abilities, my thought process was that it was a higher level vestige, a single target (as opposed to AoE) effect, and melee as opposed to range, of course the AoEs are save halves and energy damage... I just don't know if it balances it out because... I haven't seen many binders in play (and they usually go Pounce-Chargers with melee touch attacks because their blasting abilities deal piddly damage 1/5 rounds). I am reminded that there is a melee touch attack vestige (you can, as written PA with it) which I should have looked at when making the Right Arm... it's 2d6 damage, but you can PA, but you don't get extra iteratives beyond your normal ones... 42 damage at 20th level is not a great use of a turn but is ~20% of a pit fiend's health (a little less and even with +5 from Pact Augmentation you're hitting ~50-70% of the time on the last one, so it is actually probably closer to 35 damage)... drop it to 1d8 and you're only dealing 6d8 (27 damage/round)... 1d10 (33 damage?)... I'm too asleep to think this through. If you actually managed to detonate them all on a creature which failed all 5 reflex saves it'd be enough damage to down the MM. Of course that requires them to sit there for 5 minutes without destroying the helpless constructs. That said ironically it's worse at taking out a wall than a fighter as that 300d6 Force Damage with Hardness applied 5 times will not blow up a hewn stone wall (damage is halved so it deals on average 525, 15 shy of blowing up that stone wall, and then hardness 8 is applied 5 times to reduce it to 485) a fighter with PA and an adamantine weapon deals 160 damage + base damage x 4 to the wall each round meaning they'll take it out in ~3 rounds with bad stats (20 Str, +5 weapon, greatsword, is 19 or increases damage to 236/round), remove the adamantine and it's still 204/round or 3 rounds (I have in fact seen someone who built a fighter/barbarian to charge through hewn stone walls in 1 round/standard sized wall before). If it was sonic damage and not what is technically just misc damage it'd take out the wall in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    I think you meant to say "thank you", right? Yeah, I'm sure that was it.
    An evaluation and critique is actually a really good way of saying thank you, helps to refine and improve the material and make better stuff in the future. Though as I tried to go to bed over 2 hours ago (and should have 2 hours before that) and was awoken by animals my brain is not really functional right now to properly absorb it.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

My apologies, I should really refrain from defending people who can clearly and easily defend themselves. I know the feelin, though: I meant to go to bed three days ago.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've lurked and read the GITP Regulars as (insert thing here) threads a couple times now, so...
    Anyone want to make/have their vestige be The Adversary? Then we could have a flavorful connection and have a restriction that the two can't be bound at the same time.
    I'll see what comes of this, but I guess I'll grant permission for use as The Adversary. Psionic blade, other abilities, the works.
    Maybe have him known as "The Adversary" to binders of Magidin, but a different name to those who bind him. "The Adversary" could similarly have an alternate name for Magidin. Also, for the record, my name is the Italian word for book, not the astrological sign Libra with the last vowel swapped.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Reference to Moorcock in this case (whole eternal champion thing). Not really a True Neutral thing, that was stupid when AD&D did it and... having read some things Gygax said about alignment he wasn't very consistent in its application. It'd be more 'greater good' than True Neutral and the greater good can range from Chaotic Good to Lawful Evil and every alignment in between.
    More of those references, I guess I should get around to reading those some day.
    The DR is gained as you take damage so if you took 10 hits that dealt 8 damage each, you'd get DR 1 after 1 hit (8 damage), DR 3 after 2 (15 damage), DR 4 after 3 (20 damage), DR 5 after 5 (28 damage), DR 6 after 6 (31 damage), and DR 7 after the 8th attack (35 damage), then when the pool emptied you'd take 35 damage - 7 for DR so instead of taking 64 damage you took a grand total of 28.
    Ah, so you get to double dip as the damage comes in and again when it empties, that works. I'd make a small change to clarify, "this DR also applies to damage as it empties from your pool."
    At one point I had it at 1/2 caster level and realized that was way too much. I mean you already can get almost as much casting as a paladin (not that that is saying much) but short of Zcyrill or whatever his name is vestiges don't give you the stuff to play at the Bard/DN/Beguiler levels for the most part.
    Yup, exactly the problem I expected, which is why it's so cool how it all works in the end.
    ToB effects are about in line with vestige ones... though this is probably strong for a vestige just for sheer number many of them are lower level effects by the time you get them.
    An expected power creep given how few vestiges you can normally bind, one I'd consider acceptable in vanity vestiges.
    You know I don't think I've ever actually seen a binder in play for more than half an encounter except as an NPC.
    Someone in my last group said he really liked it, but he didn't play one before the group dissolved. Might have been because I was swinging Servant Souls and Cyberneticists. So I haven't seen one either.
    Full iterative with Right Arm is 6 attacks at 2d6 each, or 12d6 damage (if the attack at +2 + Dex hits which it is unlikely to with high level fiends), Warlock is dealing 11d6 with Chausable of Fell Power with basic blast, probably higher, 17d6 with hellfire, and 51d6 with hellfire + eldritch glaive. Also making baseline warlock EB damage sad is probably a good thing (32.5 damage/round is not very useful at 20th level).
    Fair enough, I wasn't considering the chausable or anything else.
    damage is halved so it deals on average. . . If it was sonic damage and not what is technically just misc damage it'd take out the wall in one go.
    The untyped damage actually means it deals full, unless I've missed something. Specific energy types and ranged weapons are reduced, but otherwise you get full. The real trick is smashing through unworked stone or castle walls that are just plain thicker, you need 1,800hp of damage to do 10' of unworked stone that Disintigrate will just vanish.
    An evaluation and critique is actually a really good way of saying thank you, helps to refine and improve the material and make better stuff in the future. Though as I tried to go to bed over 2 hours ago (and should have 2 hours before that) and was awoken by animals my brain is not really functional right now to properly absorb it.
    I was just about to say that myself, but I can also lavish upon you the flowery words and such. Thank you, oh great master Zaydos, paragon of homebrew most exemplary and glorious in its vanity, for your unparalleled efforts in immortalizing my humble self in vestige form, that I might stand small and insignificant among the giants and bask in their radiance. Now go to bed.

So who has the next request for master Zaydos, that's what the thread's for right?
    Last edited by Fizban; 2016-10-03 at 06:32 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    sheer awesomeness

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Not familiar with either of those. My FF knowledge only extends up through 7 with some dives down side paths.
    Vegnagun is from FFX2, it was an ancient weapon that had a form of semi-sentience. It couldn't tell friend from foe, however, so it was deemed a failure and locked up.

Erde Kaiser is from Xenosaga. A brilliant and slightly crazy robotics professor made him out of five separate super machines (each could be used as a spell to attack your opponents). When the android super-weapon character was broken, he used the parts of the frame and energy sources from Erde Kaiser to upgrade her and built Erde Kaiser Sigma from the leftovers and the destroyed Dark Erde Kaiser.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Vegnagun is from FFX2, it was an ancient weapon that had a form of semi-sentience. It couldn't tell friend from foe, however, so it was deemed a failure and locked up.

Erde Kaiser is from Xenosaga. A brilliant and slightly crazy robotics professor made him out of five separate super machines (each could be used as a spell to attack your opponents). When the android super-weapon character was broken, he used the parts of the frame and energy sources from Erde Kaiser to upgrade her and built Erde Kaiser Sigma from the leftovers and the destroyed Dark Erde Kaiser.
    let's roll for easier knowledge check erde kaiser is basicly voltron or power rangers mega zord 5 parts for 5 pilots only thing changes is binder is the only guy control all five zords and he can call them to form voltron if he wants

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

More of those references, I guess I should get around to reading those some day.
    The alignment system was born of Gygax butchering Law and Chaos in Moorcock. Ultimately in Moorcock there were typically 3 forces, Law, Chaos, and the Cosmic Balance which weighed them both. Law tended to be the 'Good' Guys, but if Law or Chaos won everyone got the shaft because both were only good in proper moderation and normally Chaos was winning thus Law was the good guys (the exception is Hawkmoon where Law is the bad guy, but the protagonist's group would still fall on the Law spectrum in the Elric and Corum stories). So it's more of a 'reincarnated to keep the world from falling apart' than anything True Neutral, a bit of a keep the Blood War going so that the fiends don't attack everyone else kind of deal.

Ah, so you get to double dip as the damage comes in and again when it empties, that works. I'd make a small change to clarify, "this DR also applies to damage as it empties from your pool."
    Will do.

Yup, exactly the problem I expected, which is why it's so cool how it all works in the end.

An expected power creep given how few vestiges you can normally bind, one I'd consider acceptable in vanity vestiges.
    Probably.

Someone in my last group said he really liked it, but he didn't play one before the group dissolved. Might have been because I was swinging Servant Souls and Cyberneticists. So I haven't seen one either.
    I am getting tempted to go... 'well I'm already running RHoD and EtCR to test homebrew classes, might as well open a recruitment thread for one of them with the insane rule that only underused (and potentially my homebrew... with specific permission because I don't trust it*) classes are allowed**'

*Homebrew is rife with power creep, mine included.

**Top of my head... Monk Lv 3+, Hexblade, Swashbuckler, ToM classes, MoI classes, Knight, Marshal, Healer, Favored Soul, Warmage, Spirit Shaman, Ninja, Spellthief, and Wild Shape Ranger (I've never actually seen one in play), Lurk, and maybe Wilder. Some classes have been excluded for being totally worthless (Dragon Totem Shaman as of Dragon Magic, Divine Mind as of Complete Psionics, Samurai without Imperious Command), and some for being I don't like them/too much just Wizard (Shugenja, Wu Jen).

Fair enough, I wasn't considering the chausable or anything else.
    It still might should be tweaked, but I'd have to play it at high level to tell.

The untyped damage actually means it deals full, unless I've missed something. Specific energy types and ranged weapons are reduced, but otherwise you get full. The real trick is smashing through unworked stone or castle walls that are just plain thicker, you need 1,800hp of damage to do 10' of unworked stone that Disintigrate will just vanish.
    You're correct it's just Eldritch Blast which deals half damage to objects for some reason. And fighter with an adamantine falchion. 350 damage/round to that stone wall. Warblade can alternate between 350 and 700 to clear it even faster.

I was just about to say that myself, but I can also lavish upon you the flowery words and such. Thank you, oh great master Zaydos, paragon of homebrew most exemplary and glorious in its vanity, for your unparalleled efforts in immortalizing my humble self in vestige form, that I might stand small and insignificant among the giants and bask in their radiance. Now go to bed.

So who has the next request for master Zaydos, that's what the thread's for right?
    No it's not. I had a thread for that at one point.

IT HAD TO BE PUT DOWN.

In all seriousness, if people have requests for Horror Movie Vestiges or just suggestions shoot 'em at me.

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    I may have heard this before. Honestly I was thinking more about Eva 01 (hence the link) and Fred Saberhagen's Berserker but I think I've heard this mentioned. Sounds very much like a FF thing*.

*I like FF... except 7 too easy, and 8 the pull system makes me grind obsessively so I got stopped quick.

Oooh fun. Yeah it's similar. That, though, I'm fairly certain I'd never heard of. I was just pulling on Voltron (hence the link**) and Power Rangers/Sentai. That's sort of like magical girls (in that they're both henshin hero genres and sentai influence on magical girls is heavily evident in Sailor Moon from what my friends who look into this told me***).

**Gundam and Guren Lagann were linked for being iconic and a show I've actually watched respectively. G Gundam was linked for being made of awesome and my favorite mecha series ever being the obvious inspiration for the Left Arm. Patlabor was linked because I was half watching a series of Mecha openings for inspiration and I got the Right Arm from it. Big O was linked because I liked the show and the Big O was hard to move, and it has a great opening theme.

***I have never watched Sailor Moon. I've watched Madoka and 1 season of Card Captors and ... I think that's it. So not really first hand knowledge here.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-03 at 01:12 PM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

chaos chaos sweet little wine called chaos no one understands the taste non other then some one who drink it spinning the treats in its wild weave that no one understand the ever continuing masquerade dancing on its sweet primordial melodies the parade of masks continue to the eternity this is the story of life called yours the journey of a ship in eternal storm not knowing were to go sailing in the sea searching the all ready known

okay I dont know about bard business but some how like to write few inspirational garbage in this wild turkish night

12. - Top - End - #162

I'll take that as 'noone remembers enough about me to do one for me.'
    And that's alright by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I INSPIRE AWE IN MY ENEMIES BY SERVING THEM TEA.
    Awesome Avatar courtesy of Ava. Adopt an Avatar today!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

Quote Originally Posted by TheifofZ View Post
    If no-one beats me to it, I'll have a go at doing yours in the next day or two.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Vestige Mastery Feats

Vestige Mastery - Al'Pala [Exalted]
    Your holy might improves when you bind the spirit of Loyalty.
    Prerequisites: Lawful alignment, Favored Vestige (Al'Pala).
    Benefit: While Al'Pala is bound, on your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and whenever you successfully strike in melee a creature whose alignment is not within 1 step of yours and which poses an immediate threat to you or your allies you may heal one ally (including yourself) within 30 ft 2 hit points per point of penalty you took on attack rolls. You may choose to heal ability damage at a cost of 6 hp that would be healed per point of ability damage healed, or negative levels at a cost of 20 hp that would be healed per negative level. You may not take a penalty to your attack rolls with this ability greater than your BAB.

Vestige Mastery – Bifrons [Vile]
    Your connection with Bifrons the Carrier of the Gray Death deepens.
    Prerequisites: Ability to speak Infernal, Favored Vestige (Bifrons), Perform 6 ranks.
    Benefit: While Bifrons is bound you gain +4 to your Charisma. In addition 1/day while Bifrons is bound you may use Remove Disease as if he granted the ability to do so. If you do you may then inflict another creature with one disease removed this way with a touch with an instantaneous onset (initial DC is as an ability granted by Bifrons). If you do not do so before your bind with Bifrons ends the disease is lost.

Vestige Mastery - Blackhawk [General]
    You are more adept at binding the warrior vestige Blackhawk the Slayer.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Blackhawk), at least one Stone Dragon Maneuver.
    Benefit: When you use Blackhawk the Slayer's Reckless Attack ability you gain an additional +1 to damage per 3 points of AC sacrificed. In addition you gain an additional granted power.

Grasp the Ground: When you would be knocked prone or forcibly moved from your square as an immediate action you may remain standing or not be moved (this ability does not prevent you from being shunted out of a physical object you teleported into, you must be wholly in the space before being moved out of it to use this ability). Once you have used this ability you must wait 5 rounds before

Vestige Mastery – Cerefel [General]
    You are more closely in tune with Cerefel the Song of Battle.
    Prerequisites: Charisma 15+, Favored Vestige (Cerefel), Perform 6 ranks.
    Benefit: When you bind Cerefel select one of Strain of Valiant Blows, Strain of the Warrior Maiden, or Strain of Inspiration. You cannot use that strain of her Song of Battle, and do not need to sing it to reset your ability to use the other strains, however when you use Stalling Strain it applies the effects of the chosen Strain. This choice remains in place until you bind Cerefel once more.

Vestige Mastery - Draconium [General]
    You extract more draconic power from the covetous vestige Draconium.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Draconium).
    Benefit: When you bind Draconium, Covetous Stretched too Far, he grants you the additional ability listed below. In addition your wealth is doubled for the purposes of his Miser's Smite.

His Kiss Flames: You gain a breath weapon dealing 1d6 fire damage per 2 binder levels plus fire damage equal to your charisma modifier in a 30 ft cone. A Reflex save halves this damage. Once you have used this ability you must wait 5 rounds before using it again. In addition any other breath weapon you possess deals fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier in its area in addition to its regular effect(s).

Special: Happy now, Snowbluff?

Vestige Mastery – Exarch Anchovius [General]
    Your connection to Exarch Anchovius allows you to move life force from one creature to another.
    Prerequisites: Effective Binder Level 13, Favored Vestige (Exarch Anchovius), Knowledge (religion) 10 ranks.
    Benefit: While Exarch Anchovius is bound you may score critical hits against undead creatures. In addition if you score a critical hit upon a living or undead creature you may siphon its energy out of it inflicting 1 negative level upon them (this is a form of Energy Drain when used upon a living creature, and is positive energy based when used upon an undead creature), or 2 negative levels if your weapon has a critical damage multiplier of x3, or 3 if it has one of x4. When you do so you may channel the stolen life force into another creature within 30 ft, if you channel energy from a living creature into another living creature or from an undead creature into another undead creature they gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls, ability and skill checks, and saving throws for 1 minute and 5 temporary hit points per negative level you inflicted for 1 minute. If you channel the energy stolen from a living creature into an undead creature or an undead creature into a living creature they must make a Fortitude save or gain 1 negative level, this negative level only lasts for 5 rounds. The save DCs for this ability are as if it was granted by Exarch Anchovius.

Vestige Mastery – Fizban [General]
    You have a greater mastery of the many aspected vestige Fizban.
    Prerequisites: Effective Binder Level 10, Favored Vestige (Fizban).
    Benefit: When you bind Fizban, the Many Lived, you may reduce your effective binder level for the purposes of the abilities he grants you by 3 to replace Two-Fold Aspect with Three-Fold Aspect allowing you to select 3 of his aspects instead of 2; if your effective binder level to bind Fizban, the Many Lived, is at least 14 you may reduce it by 6 (total) to gain a 4th aspect, if it is at least 17 you may reduce it by 9 to gain a 5th aspect, if it is at least 20 you may reduce it by 12 to gain a 6th aspect.

Vestige Mastery – Illyahr [General]
    The lost troubadour offers you his collected tales more readily, even as you find it easier to escape the limelight or with song claim it.
    Prerequisites: Charisma 15+, Favored Vestige (Illyahr).
    Benefit: When you bind Illyahr, the Lost Troubadour, you may use your effective binder level + your Charisma modifier for Illyahr's Knowledge (instead of this value -6), gain an additional +2 bonus to all Perform checks and the bonus from Natural Performer is no longer considered a competence bonus (this +2 stacks with Natural Performer), and when you expend Stagehand or Star to become a star you regain the ability after 5 rounds instead of requiring 10 minutes of concentration.

Vestige Mastery – Imperator Mark V [General]
    You have a greater mastery of the ancient construct turned vestige the Imperator Mark V.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Imperator Mark V).
    Benefit: You may treat the Mark V Torso and Mark V Head as two separate pieces. Not only does this increase the benefit of those abilities based upon the number of pieces currently worn, but you may have the Mark V Torso and Mark V Head manifest as two separate Astral Constructs. The Torso loses the ability to See Invisibility and True Seeing, and the Head loses the increased natural armor and improved DR. If you have the Head Manifested you lose the ability to See Invisibility, but retain the armor bonus to AC as long as the Torso is not manifested and if the Torso is manifested you lose the armor bonus to AC but retain the ability to See Invisibility unless the Head is also manifested.

Vestige Mastery – It that Forgot and was Forgotten [Epic, Vile]
    Your dark vows to the god of secrets grants you access to those things forgotten by those save It that Forgot and was Forgotten.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (ItFawF), Knowledge (any 3) 15 ranks, Patron Deity (Vecna).
    Benefit: While ItFawF is bound you gain whispers of forgotten lore from deep within the vestige granting you a +10 on Knowledge checks. You gain an additional +5 bonus for the purposes of information which has a DC higher than 30. If information has multiple knowledge DCs for different bits of knowledge the +10 only applies for the purpose of the information with a DC of higher than 30, so if you had a result of 27 without this additional +5 and there was information at DC 30 and 32 you would gain the DC 32 information but not the DC 30 information (or any DC 28, or 29 information).

Vestige Mastery – NeoPhoenix [Anarchic]
    You can draw upon powers of the Chaos Senshi long thought lost.
    Prerequisites: Chaotic Alignment, Effective Binder Level 13+, Favored Vestige (NeoPhoenix)
    Benefit: When you bind NeoPhoenix, the Chaos Senshi, she grants you the additional ability listed below. In addition when you use In the Name of the Infinite Rainbow you roll on the alternate table if the d6 is a 5, and your choice of table if it is a 6.

Dance of the Chaos Senshi: As a free action you may teleport up to 5 ft per 3 binder levels to a square you have line of effect to. After selecting the distance you teleport roll 1d8 to determine the direction you teleport as if you had missed with a grenade-like weapon. If the square you would teleport into cannot support your weight, is occupied, or outside your line of effect you teleport to the furthest square from your position in a line to the original target square which can support your weight, isn't occupied, and is within line of effect. If there are no such squares between you and the destination this ability fails to function. You may only use this ability 1/round.

Vestige Mastery – Pyrohignus [General]
    You have a deeper connection with the kobold of loyalty.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Pyrohignus), Dragonblood or Reptilian subtype.
    Benefit: When you use Envenom if you miss with the charged attack or the target succeeds in their initial save the ability is not considered expended and you may use it again immediately (or as soon as you have a swift action to do so). In addition you add your binder level to the fire resistance granted to you by Keeper of the Fire.

Vestige Mastery – Red Fel (the Helpful Advisor) [General]
    You hear the whispered advice of Red Fel even more deeply.
    Prerequisites: Diplomacy 5 ranks, Favored Vestige (Red Fel the Helpful Advisor)
    Benefit: The insight bonus from Advisor's Voice is increased by +1. 3 times per day you may increase it by another +5 for 1 check.

Vestige Mastery – Red Fel (the Lord of Imps) [Vile]
    You hear the whispered advice of Red Fel even more deeply.
    Prerequisites: Lawful alignment, Favored Vestige (Red Fel the Lord of Imps)
    Benefit: When you have Red Fel, the Lord of Imps, bound the Imp's Whisper ability he grants you has a duration of 1 hour/binder level instead of 1 minute, and a successful save only grants immunity for 1 hour. In addition your Safety in Technicality ability he grants you functions as long as you have not directly attempted to harm the creature within 5 rounds instead of within 24 hours, and it grants you DR equal to the bonus it provides overcome by good or silver weapons; this DR only applies against damage dealt by creatures that the bonus from Safety in Technicality applies against.

Vestige Mastery – Socratov [General]
    You can draw from the first bartender the power to party harder and resist poisons.
    Prerequisites: Favored Vestige (Socratov).
    Benefit: While Socratov is bound you gain immunity to intoxication, and a +4 bonus on saving throws against poison, and against disease from tainted food or drink.

Vestige Mastery – Xuldarinar [General]
    You are able to more thoroughly assume the protean form of the shadowed vestige Xuldarinar.
    Prerequisites: Effective binder level 12, Favored Vestige (Xuldarinar).
    Benefit: When you bind Xuldarinar choose one of Str, Dex, or Con; this choice remains fixed until the next time you bind Xuldarinar. When you use Xuldarinar's Shadow Shape you gain your new form's ability score that corresponds to the choice you made if it is better than your ability score for that ability.
    Dang, Zaydos. You've been busy, huh?
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    Dang, Zaydos. You've been busy, huh?
    And you got your fire breath.

Am I pleased.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Firbolg in the Playground

Feels like I havn't been properly active on the boards this summer.

I swear I've been working, sporadically, on boards-related-projects though!
    They're just really big hassle filled projects.

17. - Top - End - #167

***I have never watched Sailor Moon. I've watched Madoka and 1 season of Card Captors and ... I think that's it. So not really first hand knowledge here.
    If you want a run-through; go here.

Because the actual SHOW is long and filler-ridden.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post

To be fair: a) Filler is very common in anime, especially in anime of the period, and b) They actually used some of that filler for character development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post

I was thinking about seeing if I could find the dub of Sailor Moon Crystal (if I have the remake's name right) was called to watch in the background while making vestiges (not GiantITP regulars as vestiges, but horror monsters as vestiges*). But first I had to finally watch The Creature from the Black Lagoon**

*Coming soon you too can murder teenagers for their carnal deeds with the like of Vorhious, the Masked Killer, and Krueger, the Haunter of Nightmares.

**I quiet thoroughly enjoyed it.

Current Projects:

20. - Top - End - #170

To be fair: a) Filler is very common in anime, especially in anime of the period, and b) They actually used some of that filler for character development.
    In fact, when they did one without the filler there were complaints that the secondary characters seemed very one-dimensional because most of their development had come from anime filler rather than from the manga.

Still can be a tedious show to marathon.

Spoiler: The battle chatters on!
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Permission granted to use and abuse

If I may make a tiny request though, I'd prefer to be a 1st level vestige. Seem to have a real shortage of those.
    Abuse you say

Weckar, False-Brother

Weckar was a mountain elf archer who found a home among the goliaths whose betrayal of them led to the destruction of the mountain elves.

Vestige Level: 1st
    Binding DC: 14.

Legend: Weckar was a mountain elf archer who was accepted into a goliath clan as one of their own. He grew ever closer to the chieftain, and the chieftain’s mate, a close friend to them both, close and trusted. Weckar grew to love the chieftain’s mate however, to draw ever closer to them.

One day when Weckar and the chieftain were out hunting alone together only Weckar returned. For days they searched for the missing chieftain, but to no avail, and at last they left without him and Weckar consoled his widow. Weckar lived in peace moving with the tribes migrations for years, before when passing through the area once more some hunters stumbled upon a goliath corpse, an arrow in its back. When the shaman spoke with the dead and asked it who it was it revealed it was the chief, when asked how it died the answer ‘Weckar murdered me.’

Weckar fled the goliaths escaping them to return to the mountain elves and seek refuge there. The goliaths demanded that they give up the murderer but the mountain elves responded that the life of a single elf, that lived for more than half a century was worth any ten of the shorter lived race, and the two fell back to prepare for war.

The elves found themselves out matched when they arrived at battle. Not only were the goliaths skilled hunters they had giant crafted bows, and unexpected allies. The haughty mountain elves had made enemies. The orcs and goblins rose up from the valleys to attack their ancient foes as they engaged with the goliaths and then the stone giants revealed themselves casting boulders down from the mountain peaks at the elves. They attempted to retreat into the caverns, to lose their foes underground, only to have the retreat blocked by the dwarves. The elven army was crushed.

Weckar survived the battle, fleeing from it with the others who lived, only to be ceased by his own people. The high priest of the mountain elves proclaimed a curse upon him, that his soul would never rest with the elven gods, and that Weckar’s spirit would never rest until the mountain elves forgave him. Then they killed him and sent his head to the goliaths.

The goliaths were appeased, but the orcs and giants pressed on, the stone giants pushing the goliaths into war at the end of their hammers. The goliath shaman then proclaimed another curse upon Weckar, declaring him anathema to the goliaths, and pleading with the gods and spirits that Weckar’s soul never rest easy. The resulting war decimated the goliath tribes in the region, and annihilated the mountain elves entirely.

Manifestation: Weckar appears as a haughty and proud elf of unusual height, nearly seven feet tall. His features are aristocratic, with a hint of cruelty, and his skin has mottled patterns of color like those of a goliath. He demands to know why the binder seeks his aid, not that he can actually withhold it.

Sign: Your skin becomes mottled; goliaths subconsciously recognize the signs of ill-fate in the patterns and you suffer a -2 penalty to Charisma-based skill checks (and Charisma checks) dealing with goliaths who can see this sign.

Influence: While under Weckar’s influence if presented with a way to help the elven or goliath people you must do so unless it would cost you your life. This does not apply to helping an individual member of the species, but with helping large masses such as entire nations or tribes.

Granted Powers:.

Accelerated Mountaineer: While Weckar is bound you take no penalties for accelerated balance or climb checks.

Crag Sniper: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all ranged attack rolls and add the same number to all ranged damage rolls against flat-footed opponents or opponents denied their Dexterity bonus against you. This number may not exceed your binder level. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.

Mountain Shadow: You suffer no penalty to Hide and Move Silently checks for moving at your full speed (if you move more quickly than your full speed you suffer regular penalties).

Pushing Shot: When you make a ranged weapon attack before making the attack roll you may declare it a pushing shot. If your pushing shot hits make a Bull Rush attempt against the opponent using your Binder level + Strength or Charisma modifier (whichever is higher) in place of your Strength and Size Modifiers. You do not move (into your opponent’s space or otherwise) but you may push the target as far as the check allows, however you must push them directly away from you. If you push the target into a solid object or creature which prevents further movement both take 1d6 damage per 5 ft of movement prevented this way; if you push them into a creature the second creature is allowed a Reflex save to avoid this damage (the initial target is not). Once you have used this ability you may not use it again for 5 rounds.

Sworn Brother: While Weckar is bound you may use magic items as if you were an Elf, a Goliath, and a Giant.

For Contractors: Leaps and Bounds.

With Bind Vestige: If bound through Bind Vestige Weckar grants his binder Crag Sniper. If the binder also has Practiced Binder they gain Accelerated Mountaineer as well.

Vestige Mastery Feat: See master list.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-04 at 02:24 PM.

Current Projects:

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Giving permission here. I'll probably vestigize (it's a word now, shuddup) a few people myself.
    Dyrus, the Stirgefather (Dire Stirge)

Vestige Level: 2nd.
    Binding DC: 20.

Legend: Dyrus is said to have been the first stirge by some, a sport created by the gods which managed to sire a species in the deep swamps. Yet Dyrus seems far more intelligent than its smaller progeny, and there are those who whisper more deeply, tales that Dyrus was not a creation of the gods but an elder being itself, and that like the gods it ventured into the realm of creation, creating its progeny in its own image.

Some whispered stories go further however. They state that Dyrus was an Ancient One, a being of immense power that remained from the previous cosmos when the gods created the current multiverse, a being of eternity which made its way into the current world where it did not belong. They claim that Dyrus’s touch on Arcadia gave birth to the formians, and that the early stirges did not merely swarm but built great armies, connected in mind through Dyrus. Like the other Ancient Ones Dyrus’s time came to an end, slain by the gods and the forces that would see the current universe prosper. And like the other Ancient Ones Dyrus did not die easily his essence remaining in the world.

Sign: Your face stretches forward into a proboscis like shape, pink at the tip and with rust-red fur growing lightly around the base.

Influence: While under Dyrus’s influence you are adverse to harming stirges, insects, and insectoid creatures and may not inflict lethal damage upon them or kill them (nonlethal is alright).

Granted Powers: Dyrus grants those who bind him the ability to build hive networks with their fellow binders, to drain blood, and to summon a stirge as they were when the world was young.

Blood Siphon: As a standard action you may drain the blood from a living creature within 5 ft per binder level. The target must make a Fortitude save or take 2d4 Constitution damage. You gain a bonus to your Constitution for 1 minute equal to the Con damage dealt. Elementals are immune to this effect, but it may affect living creatures which lack blood (such as plants and warforged) as long as they have other vital fluids which play a similar role (such as warforged and animate plants). If your binder level is 7 or higher a successful save does not negate the Constitution damage but merely halves it. For every 4 binder levels beyond 7 you possess the Constitution damage dealt by this ability is increased by +1d4. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Dyrus’s Hive: By touching a willing creature (as a standard action) you may bring them into a mental network with yourself and other creatures you have created this network with. Any creature within the mental network may communicate telepathically with any other creature in the network. Creatures in the network are not considered flat-footed unless all of them are, and if any creature in the network can see a creature all creatures in the network are considered to be able to see them; this does not negate a creature’s concealment entirely however, if the creature would normally have total concealment against them it still maintains concealment for the purposes of miss chance, if it would normally have concealment and has none against any creature within the network it has no concealment against any creature in the network. If a creature moves more than 100 ft from you it is not considered to be part of this mental network until it is again 100 or less ft away from you. You may only have a number of creatures other than yourself and any Elder Stirge summoned through Dyrus’s abilities in this network equal to 1/3 binder levels + your Charisma modifier (minimum 1), this includes those that are outside of the 100 ft range; if you add another creature beyond this limit to the network one previously within it is removed from the network at random.

If a binder puts another creature with Dyrus bound and this ability into their mental network their mental networks merge. As long as both binders remain within range of this ability the range increases to 200 ft and creatures in one binder’s network are considered to be in the other’s as well without counting against the number of creatures in the network. Each additional binder with this ability in the network increases the range by 100 ft.

Hive Magic: By focusing power along with another two binders with Dyrus bound and this ability a binder of Dyrus can produce magical effects as spell-like abilities with a caster level equal to the binder level of the highest level binder involved by linking hands. A binder of Dyrus may also substitute willing formians for other binders with this ability in which case the formians are treated as if their binder level equaled their hit dice. As a standard action from each of the three creatures a Cure Moderate Wounds or Make Whole spell can be emulated, or if all participants have a binder level of at least 5 Cure Critical Wounds, if all participants have a binder level of at least 9 Heal, if all participants have a binder level of at least 11 Revivify, if all participants have a binder level of at least 15 Mass Heal. As an action taking 1 minute of participation (and holding hands or hand-like appendages) from each participant they can emulate Lesser Restoration, if all participants have a binder level of at least 7 they can emulate Fabricate or Restoration. By spending 1 hour in this way if all participants have a binder level of 9 and are Lawful aligned they may emulate an Atonement spell as if cast by a Lawful cleric but they must pay its XP cost divided as they see fit between them (summoned creatures cannot contribute XP for this), if all participants have a binder level of at least 11 they can emulate Raise Dead, if all participants have a binder level of at least 16 they can emulate Resurrection, if all participants have a binder level of at least 18 they can emulate Greater Restoration, if all participants have a binder level of at least 20 they can emulate True Resurrection. Touch spells emulated through this ability have a range of medium (100 ft + 10 ft/caster level). Each time a creature participates in Hive Magic their effective binder level for Hive Magic is reduced by 1 until they have 8 hours of rest, or by 3 if used to emulate a spell with an expensive material component or XP cost other than Atonement.

Summon Elder Stirge: Once per day you may summon forth Dyrus’s power in the form of an ancient stirge as they once were during his age. This Elder Stirge has hit dice equal to ˝ your binder level (rounded down, minimum ˝) and is small sized with stats as shown below. As your binder level improves you may summon this stirge in ever larger forms. Beginning at (binder) level 9 you may choose to have it appear at medium size, beginning at 15th you may choose to have it appear at large size, and at 21st you may choose to have it appear at huge size. In addition if your binder level is 12 or higher its fly maneuverability improves to Good. The Elder Stirge has the Dodge feat if it has 3 or more hit dice, the Mobility feat if it has 6, and the Improved Toughness feat if it has 9 or more hit dice granting it +1 hp/hit die not listed below, and it has 2 ranks in Hide and 1 rank in each of Spot and Listen and gains 1 rank in Spot per 2 hit dice and 1 rank in Listen per 2 hit dice beyond 1st. An Elder Stirge is considered a combat trained mount. This is a creation effect, if an elder stirge created this way enters an antimagic field it is treated as if it were a summoned creature that did so. The Elder Stirge serves the binder to the best of its ability and remains until the pact ends or the binder summons another Elder Stirge with this ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elder Stirge, Small
    Size/Type:
    Small Magical Beast

Hit Dice:
    Xd10+X
    Initiative:
    +4

Speed:
    10 ft (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)

Armor Class:
    16 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 13

Base Attack/Grapple:
    +X/+(X-6) (+X+2 when attached)
    Attack:
    Proboscis Bite +(X+5) melee (1d4-2 and attach) or Touch +(X+5) melee (attach)
    Full Attack:
    Proboscis Bite +(X+5) melee (1d4-2 and attach) or Touch +(X+5) melee (attach)
    Space/Reach:
    5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Attach, blood drain
    Special Qualities:
    Darkvision 60 ft., hive-mind, low-light vision

Saves:
    Fort +(1/2 X + 3), Ref +(1/2 X + 6), Will +(1/3 X + 1)

Abilities:
    Str 7, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills:
    Hide +10, Listen +(1/2 X + 3.5), Spot +(+1/2 X + 4)

Feats:
    Alertness, Weapon Finesse B, and see above.

Elder Stirge, Medium
    Size/Type:
    Medium Magical Beast

Hit Dice:
    Xd10+2X
    Initiative:
    +4

Speed:
    20 ft (4 squares), fly 50 ft. (average)

Armor Class:
    18 (+4 Dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14

Base Attack/Grapple:
    +X/+(X) (+X+8 when attached)
    Attack:
    Proboscis Bite +(X+4) melee (1d6 and attach) or Touch +(X+4) melee (attach)
    Full Attack:
    Proboscis Bite +(X+4) melee (1d6 and attach) or Touch +(X+4) melee (attach)
    Space/Reach:
    5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Attach, blood drain
    Special Qualities:

Saves:
    Fort +(1/2 X + 4), Ref +(1/2 X + 6), Will +(1/3 X + 1)

Abilities:
    Str 11, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills:
    Hide +6, Listen +(1/2 X + 3.5), Spot +(+1/2 X + 4)

Feats:

Elder Stirge, Large
    Size/Type:
    Large Magical Beast

Hit Dice:
    Xd10+4X
    Initiative:
    +4

Speed:
    30 ft (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)

Armor Class:
    20 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +7 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 17

Base Attack/Grapple:
    +X/+(X+7) (+X+15 when attached)
    Attack:
    Proboscis Bite +(X+3) melee (1d8+4 and attach) or Touch +(X+3) melee (attach)
    Full Attack:
    Proboscis Bite +(X+3) melee (1d8+4 and attach) or Touch +(X+3) melee (attach)
    Space/Reach:
    10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Attach, blood drain
    Special Qualities:

Saves:
    Fort +(1/2 X + 6), Ref +(1/2 X + 6), Will +(1/3 X + 1)

Abilities:
    Str 17, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills:
    Hide +2, Listen +(1/2 X + 3.5), Spot +(+1/2 X + 4)

Feats:

Elder Stirge, Huge
    Size/Type:
    Huge Magical Beast

Hit Dice:
    Xd10+6X
    Initiative:
    +4

Speed:
    40 ft (4 squares), fly 80 ft. (average)

Armor Class:
    24 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +12 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 20

Base Attack/Grapple:
    +X/+(X+14) (+X+22 when attached)
    Attack:
    Proboscis Bite +(X+4) melee (2d6+9 and attach) or Touch +(X+4) melee (attach)
    Full Attack:
    Proboscis Bite +(X+4) melee (2d6+9 and attach) or Touch +(X+4) melee (attach)
    Space/Reach:
    15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Attach, blood drain
    Special Qualities:

Saves:
    Fort +(1/2 X + 6), Ref +(1/2 X + 6), Will +(1/3 X + 1)

Abilities:
    Str 23, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills:
    Hide +2, Listen +(1/2 X + 3.5), Spot +(+1/2 X + 4)

Feats:

As an elder stirge’s bite attack is simply lancing a creature with its proboscis it deals piercing damage not bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage.

Attach (Ex): When an elder stirge hits a creature its size or larger with its bite attack or touch attack it may choose to attach to that creature. It uses its eight pincers to latch onto the opponent’s body. An attached elder stirge is effectively grappling its prey. The elder stirge does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC but takes a -2 penalty to its AC. Elder stirges have a +12 racial bonus on grapple checks (already figured into the Base Attack/Grapple entry above) when using attach.
    An attached stirge can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached stirge through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the stirge.

Blood Drain (Ex): An elder stirge drains blood when it successfully bites a creature or begins its turn attached to a creature. A small elder stirge deals 1 point of Constitution damage when it bites a creature or 1d4 if it begins its turn attached to a creature. A medium elder stirge deals 1d3 points of Constitution damage with a bite, and 1d6 if it begins its turn attached. A large elder stirge deals 1d4 points of Constitution damage with a bite, and 1d8 if it begins its turn attached. A huge elder stirge deals 1d6 points of Constitution damage with a bite, and 1d10 if it begins its turn attached. When an elder stirge deals 3 or more Constitution damage at once it regains 1 hp per hit die it possesses per 3 points of Constitution damage it dealt this way.

Hive-Mind (Su): As long as an elder stirge is within 100 ft of the binder who summoned it they are able to communicate with the binder and share advantages with them as if they had been selected for the Dyrus’s Hive ability.

For Contractors: Form of the Stirge (new invocation spoilered below)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Form of the Stirge
    Least, 2nd
    You transform into a stirge. This functions as if using the Alternate Form ability to turn into a stirge. Your speed becomes 10 ft, with a fly speed of 40 ft (average maneuverability), your Str becomes 3, your Dex becomes 19, and your Con becomes 10. Your size becomes Tiny, you gain a Touch natural attack as a primary natural weapon allowing you to Attach. Form of the Stirge lasts for 24 hours, but can be dismissed prematurely as a standard action.

Vestige Mastery (Dyrus)
    Your connection to Dyrus the Stirge Father deepens allowing you to tap into the telepathy of others and summon more powerful stirges.
    Prerequisites: Lawful Alignment, Favored Vestige (Dyrus).
    Benefit: While Dyrus is bound he grants you the additional ability listed below. In addition Elder Stirges you summon gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.

Active Reception: Whenever a creature within 100 ft of you communicates telepathically you may ‘hear’ it even if you are not the intended recipient, or it is a link between specific creatures, you are also able to gain any actively relayed information relayed through an empathic link within this range. If you are within the range of a creature’s Telepathy ability and it uses it to communicate with another creature you can ‘hear’ this communication as well even if both creatures are more than 100 ft from you. Finally you can detect and pinpoint beings that have Telepathy as long as you are within range of their telepathy. This works much like blindsense--you know what square each telepathic being is in, but you do not see the being, and the being still has total concealment unless you can see it by some other means. You also perceive several observable characteristics about each being detected with this ability, including the being's type and Intelligence score. You need not take any additional or special actions to gain this information; it is as obvious to active reception as the being's race and clothing would be to eyesight.

Current Projects:

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Loving it Zaydos!

Heh, I know one build this would have made easier

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

frown Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    If no-one beats me to it, I'll have a go at doing yours in the next day or two.
    I'm drawing a bit of a blank - can I have a few suggestions/themes/ideas for your vestige?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Nicely done, Zaydos! Thanks a lot!
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'm drawing a bit of a blank - can I have a few suggestions/themes/ideas for your vestige?
    Not surprised.
    I spend most of my time lurking if I'm even around; I tend to wander away for long stretches, so I'm relatively difficult to remember.

As to suggestions: I'm a fan of strange builds, undead/necromancy and abberations, I tend to waffle between cradling the villain ball and being a bit of a know it all, and my icon is The Monster in the Darkness.
    Failing that, I dunno what to tell you. Maybe in a few weeks you all will remember me a bit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I INSPIRE AWE IN MY ENEMIES BY SERVING THEM TEA.
    Awesome Avatar courtesy of Ava. Adopt an Avatar today!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe give your vestige abilities that make you difficult to remember? That could prove useful for spymaster-style characters

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

Not surprised.
    I spend most of my time lurking if I'm even around; I tend to wander away for long stretches, so I'm relatively difficult to remember.

As to suggestions: I'm a fan of strange builds, undead/necromancy and abberations, I tend to waffle between cradling the villain ball and being a bit of a know it all, and my icon is The Monster in the Darkness.
    Failing that, I dunno what to tell you. Maybe in a few weeks you all will remember me a bit better.
    OK, that's sparked some ideas. Life is ridiculously busy right now, so no promises, but I'll try to get somehting up in the next couple of days.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Not surprised.

well the odd thing is you are literally like monster in the darkness vague enough that when we try to discern something about you it's empty we of the use theif as thief and go with it I mean there is simply nothing your vestige uses as manifestation yet you use the every thing as your manifestation( by the way I remember you mate

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe give your vestige abilities that make you difficult to remember? That could prove useful for spymaster-style characters
    Sadly that idea was basically already used as the main theme of mine. I could see something being done with perfect darkness that inflicts enervate on those within. Oh or perhaps the capabilities of polymorph at will while in darkness with bonuses for taking weird/undead forms that mock nature? It would be like... The anti druid.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2