New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Get fit 2: Resolution 2K:19!

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Do you find the cooking time on beans gets difficult? I like beans but 8 hours soaking plus 2 hours cooking gets tiring after a while, I end up eating really late.

The link is nice, thanks :)
    Beans are a classic slow-cooker/pressure cooker dish for a reason. Set 'em in the morning, eat 'em in the evening.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Do you find the cooking time on beans gets difficult? I like beans but 8 hours soaking plus 2 hours cooking gets tiring after a while, I end up eating really late.

The link is nice, thanks :)
    I largely eat canned beans, which are basically step 1: open the can, step 2: mix with whatever I'm eating them with, step 3: eat.

When I am doing raw beans, I usually try and start soaking them either the night before or at breakfast and then put them on the stove to simmer the second I get home in the afternoon. Otherwise like tyckspoon said, if you have a slow cooker/rice cooker/crock pot, you can put the beans in there and they'll be ready to eat either the next morning or that evening depending on when you started them. If you have a pressure cooker/one pot, you can cook them quite a bit faster (it's been a while since I had access to either of those, so I don't remember exactly how much faster).

When I'm out backpacking, I'm usually using either dehydrated refried beans or fill a 1L water bottle with beans and soak them through the day as I'm hiking. I mostly stick to the dehydrated refried beans since a 1L water bottle is a lot of extra weight to carry up and over mountain passes.
    Long-form Sig

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Avenger View Post
    I largely eat canned beans, which are basically step 1: open the can, step 2: mix with whatever I'm eating them with, step 3: eat.

When I am doing raw beans, I usually try and start soaking them either the night before or at breakfast and then put them on the stove to simmer the second I get home in the afternoon. Otherwise like tyckspoon said, if you have a slow cooker/rice cooker/crock pot, you can put the beans in there and they'll be ready to eat either the next morning or that evening depending on when you started them. If you have a pressure cooker/one pot, you can cook them quite a bit faster (it's been a while since I had access to either of those, so I don't remember exactly how much faster).

When I'm out backpacking, I'm usually using either dehydrated refried beans or fill a 1L water bottle with beans and soak them through the day as I'm hiking. I mostly stick to the dehydrated refried beans since a 1L water bottle is a lot of extra weight to carry up and over mountain passes.
    All good advice. I love making curried garbanzo beans with onions and peppers, but I hate eating at 11pm after getting home at 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Have anyone eat at Green Blend restaurant? I eat there every morning even though it's a little pricey. It's also very healthy.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Have anyone eat at Green Blend restaurant? I eat there every morning even though it's a little pricey. It's also very healthy.
    That's like 5 states away, soooooo, nope.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    That's like 5 states away, soooooo, nope.
    Well, I live in New York, NY USA so I think that more than 5 states away.

7. - Top - End - #157

Well, I live in New York, NY USA so I think that more than 5 states away.
    Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York......Pretty much straight east from Missouri till you hit Penn. then go north.
    Last edited by Kyrell1978; 2019-09-11 at 11:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York......Pretty much straight east from Missouri till you hit Penn. then go north.
    How much water can we use? Because I could be one by using the panama canal, or six (Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, New York.) Or 10 by land, but that involves going south to get bigger states.

9. - Top - End - #159

How much water can we use? Because I could be one by using the panama canal, or six (Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, New York.) Or 10 by land, but that involves going south to get bigger states.
    I'm not sure there are any rules to this game, so do your thing.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey you're right. That's 5 states.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yesterday afternoon I was very proud of myself for forcing myself through three consecutive sets of push-ups to failure.

A few hours later I hated myself.

Today I actually feel okay. Sore of course, but not devastatingly so.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Yesterday afternoon I was very proud of myself for forcing myself through three consecutive sets of push-ups to failure.

A few hours later I hated myself.

Today I actually feel okay. Sore of course, but not devastatingly so.
    For me it's usually not the next day, it's two days later that kills me. Good job for getting the work in.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I must say this is one of the best threads in Giant In The Playground Forum so far.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

I must say this is one of the best threads in Giant In The Playground Forum so far.
    Agreed! 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584, 4181, 6765, 10946, 17711, 28657, 46368, 75025, 121393, 196418, 317811

15. - Top - End - #165

For me it's usually not the next day, it's two days later that kills me. Good job for getting the work in.
    About two days is normal for me too, but usually it doesn't hit me so hard a few hours later.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    About two days is normal for me too, but usually it doesn't hit me so hard a few hours later.

Yeah, I know I've hit it pretty hard if I'm like "I'm not going to be able to move tomorrow" that night.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Today I eat 4 applesauce at Barnes and Noble, then I drink a bottle of water, eat 3 oranges and now I'm eating 2 cases of strawberries. I'm really glad I'm taking this seriously.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It is funny that the more I focus on diet and exercise the more my diet resembles that of people I used to make fun of. I drink coconut water and eat yogurt for lunch, my breakfasts and dinners usually involve beans and veggies with some meat and I eat nuts between meals. Members of my family constantly either tell me how much they pity me or get mad because they feel I am being condescending.

Activity wise I am doing quite well. My left arm has healed from my injury in July, and I am doing upperbody exercises again. The problem I am running into these days is that my body can't keep up with my ambitions; I don't have the energy to do extensive cardio and weight lifting on the same days (and it is painful to try on leg day), and if I alternate I find myself running out of energy when I don't get enough rest days.

My diet is essentially linked to my workout regimen; lots of carbs at breakfast because I lift after, then lots of protein at lunch, then a mixed dinner.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-10-01 at 06:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Glad to hear you’re doing well, TvTyrant! I just committed myself to making my workouts consistent, something I’ve always struggled with, and eating better, as a I find I eat too much fat and carbs, and not enough protein. It’s hard enough as a high schooler in a house where good nutrition isn’t valued super highly beyond “eat a fruit,” so good on you for keeping at it when your family is actively against it.
    Epic anarchist avatar made by Linklele. Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #170

Members of my family constantly either tell me how much they pity me or get mad because they feel I am being condescending.
    God, I'm not easily annoyed but this triggers me so much. Why do even perfectly reasonable people suddenly lose their ability to mind their own f*ing business when it comes to what others are or aren't eating?

That said, good job everyone! I'm still on my usual workout-diet regimen, mostly stable but veeery slowly losing my last reserves of fat. I'd love for the process to be faster, but I have to accept I don't really have the mental energies to go at it more seriously than I already am, so I'll just have to wait!

21. - Top - End - #171

Activity wise I am doing quite well. My left arm has healed from my injury in July, and I am doing upperbody exercises again. The problem I am running into these days is that my body can't keep up with my ambitions; I don't have the energy to do extensive cardio and weight lifting on the same days (and it is painful to try on leg day), and if I alternate I find myself running out of energy when I don't get enough rest days.
    Glad to hear the arm's healed up. As for the lack of energy during workouts, I'm just speculating here, but it could be the carbs you're eating before the workout (especially if it's in the form of foods like white rice or white bread) are causing your blood sugar to spike and then fall sharply during the workout. Whole grains digest slower and don't cause blood sugar to spike and then fall so rapidly. Intraworkout might also help if you want to give it a shot.

I've kind of stalled both weight and strength wise. The past couple of months I've wavered between 160-165 pounds in body weight-- mostly, I'd guess, because a. I've been really busy the past couple of months and it's hard to find time to eat, and b. because I've been really busy, I've been really active, so I'm probably burning more calories than I was before. My lifts seem to have hit a plateau as well.

Fortunately my physique is still pretty solid and I don't feel like I've lost my gains or gotten skinnier. Just need to find a way to get the weight back on an upward trajectory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    God, I'm not easily annoyed but this triggers me so much. Why do even perfectly reasonable people suddenly lose their ability to mind their own f*ing business when it comes to what others are or aren't eating?

That said, good job everyone! I'm still on my usual workout-diet regimen, mostly stable but veeery slowly losing my last reserves of fat. I'd love for the process to be faster, but I have to accept I don't really have the mental energies to go at it more seriously than I already am, so I'll just have to wait!
    I have no idea, it might be they feel bad about their own lifestyle. It could also just be about power, you assume a position of power whenever you criticize someone.

Stable is good, lowers the chance of injury. Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Glad to hear the arm's healed up. As for the lack of energy during workouts, I'm just speculating here, but it could be the carbs you're eating before the workout (especially if it's in the form of foods like white rice or white bread) are causing your blood sugar to spike and then fall sharply during the workout. Whole grains digest slower and don't cause blood sugar to spike and then fall so rapidly. Intraworkout might also help if you want to give it a shot.

I've kind of stalled both weight and strength wise. The past couple of months I've wavered between 160-165 pounds in body weight-- mostly, I'd guess, because a. I've been really busy the past couple of months and it's hard to find time to eat, and b. because I've been really busy, I've been really active, so I'm probably burning more calories than I was before. My lifts seem to have hit a plateau as well.

Fortunately my physique is still pretty solid and I don't feel like I've lost my gains or gotten skinnier. Just need to find a way to get the weight back on an upward trajectory.
    I can't eat grains, otherwise I would. Sweet potatoes could work, but losing American Potatoes is basically the last bit of normal food I eat.

If you are burning more calories then you eat, building muscle isn't going to happen, especially with such a low body fat percentage. Sounds like you need to find a new way to add calories (not helpful advice I know.)

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I can't eat grains, otherwise, I would.
    Why can't you eat grains Tvtyrant?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Why can't you eat grains Tvtyrant?
    I have Celiac's disease. Wheat, buckwheat, rye and oats all make me very sick. Oats less so, but they contain a protein very similar to gluten that makes me ill.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I have Celiac's disease. Wheat, buckwheat, rye and oats all make me very sick. Oats less so, but they contain a protein very similar to gluten that makes me ill.
    Oh.wow. I'm so sorry to hear that.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh.wow. I'm so sorry to hear that.
    It is okay. In a weird way it saved my life, forced me to change habits I was raised with and become healthier.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

Well there a few things you can do to help. A lot depends on how closely you're monitoring your macros though. If you have enough room to add some fats that can be an easy way to up your calories.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, I'm taking my diet seriously. Man, I sure missed eating junk food.

29. - Top - End - #179

Oh my Goodness. I just picked up AthleanXs Beaxst program. I am going to be soooooorrrrrreeee tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well, I've been ridiculously busy lately.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway. I've been eating healthy foods such as broccoli pizza with chicken, seltzer water, fruits, hiker trail mix and Muscle Mix Protein Shake. I exercise everyday. So I'm doing great so far.