New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (3.X) Cursed Teas (P.E.A.C.H.)

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    That's exactly what I mean. While the idea isn't bad, the cost is probably way too low. Keeping it as a one-shot of damage makes more sense if the cost is under 5,000 gp.

If the curse causes such ongoing damage, it should be a lot more expensive to make. At least 10,000 gp would be appropriate and perhaps more in some cases. I'd have to look more closely at the damage but once you start allowing for magic feats and so forth, it gets pricey quickly.
    I will take your word for it. I may do Lesser/Greater versions or something.
    Also, you should state whether the effects are cumulative if you drink more than one if the same tea. I would think not as that would be a lot of damage in most cases, probably too much damage for the amount of money spent on making the tea.
    I will probably be adding a paragraph or two defining a "Cursed Tea" type with all the necessary boiler-plate that applies to all of them ("Save DCs are 20 unless otherwise stated" etc etc etc)
    It might be useful to have a consistent amount of tea that needs to be drunk for the curse to work. I would think a sip should suffice.
    Yep, need to add that as boiler-plate. Any variations from this were simply for the sake of linguistic variety.
    Hence, the "surprise" of course. :-)
    Exactly.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have nothing to add. All I can say is that I love these. Permission to use some in my campaign, good sir?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dralnu View Post
    I have nothing to add. All I can say is that I love these. Permission to use some in my campaign, good sir?
    As long as you give me a report on how it goes... which one(s) you used, in what sort of context, and the results - both the looks on your players faces (or what emoticons they used) and the mechanical effects on the game.

If you are using them in a PbP game, a simple link would suffice. If not, a small paragraph should be more than sufficient.

Be aware I will be continuing to fine-tune them, including based on Debihuman's excellent clarifying questions.

Incidentally this applies to all my stuff basically (as stated in my NON-extended signature).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Update:
    1. Have added first attempt at boiler-plate at the top (Everyone feel especially free to point out loop-holes).
    2. Have reviewed and modified up through Cinnamon Appalling Spice, splitting most of the "Take damage now and become vulnerable to damage type" into 3 versions. Leech-y Nut still needs a price, but I don't THINK I missed anything else before that point.
    3. 10,000 GP for an energy vulnerability that has a very difficult method of delivery feels a bit much to me...
      • Debihuman: can you explain?
      • Everyone else: Any comment?
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The only thing I would change in the boilerplate is that the tea should need to seep for a minimum of 1 minute in order to be effective. It doesn't need to match real world seeping times since these are magic teas. This just makes it standardized and let's everyone know how long these take to make. K.I.S.S. principle.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

The only thing I would change in the boilerplate is that the tea should need to seep for a minimum of 1 minute in order to be effective. It doesn't need to match real world seeping times since these are magic teas. This just makes it standardized and let's everyone know how long these take to make. K.I.S.S. principle.

Debby
    I don't think that would come up all that much, but sure, why not?

EDIT: Done, and tightened up a few other things, so that, for instance, it isn't very cheap to use them on Tiny creatures. It is still more expensive to use it on bigger creatures, but that may be OK, and if not, I can always add a sentence about mixing it with mundane tea of the same flavor before brewing.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-05-22 at 03:51 PM.
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The only thing I would change in the boilerplate is that the tea should need to seep for a minimum of 1 minute in order to be effective. It doesn't need to match real world seeping times since these are magic teas. This just makes it standardized and let's everyone know how long these take to make.

Just to let you know, I do not understand pricing magical items even a little. However, I think Leech-y Nut would be 8,250 gp (half the price of a robe of vermin) and should have aura of Abjuration based on the spell used.

Cinnamon Beat Stick is really powerful but I have no idea how to price it. 1,500 gp is definitely too low. Basically it conjures an invisible opponent who wields it. Spell X CL X 2,000 gp would not be too much.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

biggrin Re: (3.X) Cursed Teas (P.E.A.C.H.)

mind if I use these?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stabbitty death View Post
    mind if I use these?
    As I told Dralnu (but with a little editing for context), and is a blanket statement for ALL my homebrew:
    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    As long as you give me a report on how it goes... which one(s) you used, in what sort of context, and the results - both the looks on your players faces (or what emoticons they used) and/or the mechanical effects on the game as appropriate to the individual homebrew. More details than this are better of course, but I am not about to look any gift-dragons in the mouth. If it wouldn't be thread necromancy, post in the original thread, if it would then PM me.

If you are using them in a PbP game, a simple link would suffice. If not, a small paragraph should be more than sufficient.

Be aware I will be continuing to fine-tune some of them. Especially based on feed-back I am given... I recommend saving a copy if you don't want to get caught off-guard by this.

Incidentally this applies to all my stuff basically (as stated in my NON-extended signature).
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I think the Bag of Devouring should be used as the basis for the Cinnamon Beat Stick:

Moderate Transmutation; CL 20th; In effect this is a creature and cannot be created; Price n/a.

What do you think?
    Debby

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I think the Bag of Devouring should be used as the basis for the Cinnamon Beat Stick:

Moderate Transmutation; CL 20th; In effect this is a creature and cannot be created; Price n/a.

What do you think?
    Debby
    Why would you say that? It seems to me it is equivalent to a monster summoning effect that requires a bit of creative mechanics to deal with and rewards people who took Improved Sunder or who can be a TINY bit creative in their spell/maneuver/whatever use. In between that and Animate Objects I would say that it is completely within the realm of possibility (and much less abusable than the ability to create bags of devouring probably would be).

At the most I could see it requiring, as a material component, the Masterwork quarterstaff made from a cinnamon tree branch that will appear when it is drunk.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Just to let you know, I do not understand pricing magical items even a little. However, I think Leech-y Nut would be 8,250 gp (half the price of a robe of vermin) and should have aura of Abjuration based on the spell used.
    Umm... I think you are a bit off your game Debihuman? Summon Swarm is Conjuration...

Cinnamon Beat Stick is really powerful but I have no idea how to price it. 1,500 gp is definitely too low. Basically it conjures an invisible opponent who wields it. Spell X CL X 2,000 gp would not be too much.
    That would be for a object with unlimited uses... but since the effect is arguably a higher Spell level than the spells involved (multiple attacks, high BAB, etc etc) that price might be warranted. It does have pretty crummy hitpoints and damage-per-hit(note the lack of Power Attack) at the end of the day though. I will probably ponder the matter further at some other time.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-05-22 at 10:49 PM.
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Umm... I think you are a bit off your game Debihuman? Summon Swarm is Conjuration...
    I copied the text right from
    Robe of Vermin and that lists Abjuration not Conjuration so apparently the Robe has an error in it. You're right though; it should be Conjuration.

On Raspberry Zapper and Lemon Lasher teas, shouldn't the Caster Levels progress? Lesser at CL 6, Standard at CL 8 and Greater at CL 10 for example (just throwing out some numbers as I didn't check spell levels).

Where can I find the spell "grounding" used in the Honey-ed Plain-Vanilla Chamomile tea? It isn't listed in the SRD.

Debby

P.S. I am very glad it is Charomile and not Charomile tea.

P.P.S. If you don't mind, I'm turning this into a Word document (proofreading and editing it as you go along). I can send you a copy once it is done.

P.P.P.S. Corruptive Peach Passion should be little pink succubus/erinyes (diminutive size) that tries to kill you,. Maybe they are an illusion that only the drinker can see. Granted, tea drink doesn't normally give people delusions but that was my first thought with this one.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-05-23 at 02:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

I copied the text right from
    Robe of Vermin and that lists Abjuration not Conjuration so apparently the Robe has an error in it. You're right though; it should be Conjuration.
    Ah, that makes sense then.
    On Raspberry Zapper and Lemon Lasher teas, shouldn't the Caster Levels progress? Lesser at CL 6, Standard at CL 8 and Greater at CL 10 for example (just throwing out some numbers as I didn't check spell levels).
    Yeah, probably should be some variation, missed that aspect when I was splitting each one into three. It didn't even occur to me to think about it. I will ponder what spread of levels would be appropriate.
    Where can I find the spell "grounding" used in the Honey-ed Plain-Vanilla Chamomile tea? It isn't listed in the SRD.
    Buried in The Third Axis of Alignment by Kellus.
    Reproduced below
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grounding
    Evocation [Square]
    Level: Square 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Area: 25-ft. square, centered on the caster
    Duration: Instantaneous (1 round); see text
    Saving Throw: Will partial; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    You draw down the harsh realities of the universe to smite your enemies. Only funky and neutral creatures are harmed by the spell; square creatures are unaffected.
    The spell deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8) to each funky creature in the area (or 1d6 points of damage per caster level, maximum 10d6, to a funky outsider) and causes it to be exhausted for 1 round.. A successful Will saving throw reduces damage to half and negates the exhaustion effect.
    The spell deals only half damage to creatures who are neither funky nor square, and they are not exhausted. Such a creature can reduce that damage by half (down to one-quarter of the roll) with a successful Will save.

Although, now that I look at the Helm of Opposite Alignment (which, now that I actually look at it, is single use, and therefore a VERY close match).
    MAYBE I should bump it up to Lecture (described in the same spoiler of the same post of the same thread as Grounding).
    Again, reproduced below for you convenience.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lecture
    Evocation [Square, Sonic][/i]
    Level: Square 7, Clr 7
    Components: V
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 40 ft.
    Area: Nonsquare creatures in a 40-ft.- radius spread centered on you
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None or Will negates; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Any nonsquare creature within the area who hears the lecture suffers the following ill effects.
    The effects are cumulative and concurrent. No saving throw is allowed against these effects.

Deafened: The creature is deafened for 1d4 rounds.
    Stunned: The creature is stunned for 1 round.
    Exhausted: The creature is exhausted for 1d10 minutes.
    Killed: Living creatures die. Undead creatures are destroyed.

{table]HD|Effect
    Equal to caster level|Deafened
    Up to caster level –1|Stunned, deafened
    Up to caster level –5|Exhausted, stunned, deafened
    Up to caster level –10|Killed, exhausted, stunned, deafened[/table]

Furthermore, if you are on your home plane when you cast this spell, nonsquare extraplanar creatures within the area are instantly banished back to their home planes. Creatures so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the lecture. The banishment effect allows a Will save (at a –4 penalty) to negate.
    Creatures whose HD exceed your caster level are unaffected by lecture.

It would make it so you would need a scroll or something to make it at 12th level, although given the more "safe" nature of creating it (less severity of backfire if the creator or someone whose course in life the creator actually sorta approves of activates it).

In any case I should probably add a Square Alignment (and maybe even Neutral Neutral Square) requirement to the creation of that item, just to be on the safe side.
    P.S. I am very glad it is Charomile and not Charomile tea.
    I was totally unaware of the individual in question, and now that I know a bit about her (just the first paragraph on the page you linked to)... I shall definitely NOT be doing anything with it.
    P.P.S. If you don't mind, I'm turning this into a Word document (proofreading and editing it as you go along). I can send you a copy once it is done.
    Certainly!
    P.P.P.S. Corruptive Peach Passion should be little pink succubus/erinyes (diminutive size) that tries to kill you,. Maybe they are an illusion that only the drinker can see. Granted, tea drink doesn't normally give people delusions but that was my first thought with this one.
    Interesting... not very corruptive, but Chibi-size could have advantages. I shall ponder.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2020-01-07 at 07:40 AM.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

we need gunpowder tea, pu-erh tea, flowering tea, mountain tee,
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I think I can get around to those... sooner or later. Here are my quick notes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    gunpowder tea,
    Fort(Reflex?) Save every time you take fire damage. DC = Damage AFTER resistance etc/4. Natural 1 NOT an automatic failure. Explode for 1d6 fire damage per HD in 5 foot radius per HD.
    pu-erh tea,
    Foirt Save. Turns you into Winnie the Pooh ersatz?
    flowering tea,
    Fort Save. You sprout flowers all over. Some sort of penalty, but your built in Gillie Suit grants hide bonuses under certain circumstances.
    mountain tee,
    Fort Save. Turns you into a vaguely conical lump of rock with a volume 100 times your initial volume. Other creatures thrown back by your growth, may take damage. If not enough room, then mold to fit shape or roll Strength check with x3 multiplier on strength modifier to break barriers. If fail so can't acheive full volume, take Con Drain (Yeah, I know this is complicated, but it is off the top of my head.).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-11-07 at 06:10 AM.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I obviously needed more sleep today.

Purr Tea -- Reflex save or you run into a cat. (No, you don't turn into a cat; that's been over used). Cat is unfriendly unless you have catnip.

Pooh Tea -- Fort Save or be teleported to the 100 Acre Wood, a Faerie-like Demiplane of friendly, animated stuffed toys. Be on the look-out for roving Heffalumps.

Boo Tea, Lesser -- Will save or be Shaken for 1 minute after drinking this tea.1
    Boo Tea--Frightened for 10 minutes
    Boo Tea, Greater--Panicked for one hour

Bodacious Boo-ty -- Gain +10 to Diplomacy for 24 hours but only as long as you are seen from the rear. If you fail any Diplomacy checks during that time, you turn into a donkey.2

Debby

1. This made me think of the James Bond Martini: if stirred, it leaves you Staggered for one minute. Sadly, it is not a tea unless you can Bluff others into thinking it is.
    2. Thereby making a complete ass of yourself. 3
    3. Puns intentional. I derierre you to find them all.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-05-25 at 10:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

White Tea, Fort save or acquire severe albinism
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Had been making small edits, mostly to existing material, removing repetative notes asking if people like potential that they obviously have no particular interest in, and splitting some of the "Damaged and Cursed for increased damage in future" into their appropriate three parts. I am going to be keeping Blackest Cherry Berry as something with only one level I think.

And then just now I did the following, note the increased cost on the latter three since slashing damage is comparatively common. The first one (the one without slashing damage), is obviously incomplete... and should probably be changed to Magic Missile:

Wild Berry Zinger
    The curse inflicted by this tea may be avoided with a DC 20 Will save, otherwise, until the curse is broken, if each animal and fae that is ever within ??? feet of someone cursed by this tea may use Quickened Orb of Electricity, Lesser as a spell-like ability 3 times per day (leaving the range and re-entering it does NOT reset the uses per day for an individual animal). However they may ONLY target the victim (or images of the victim created by the victim such as with Mislead or Mirror Image)with said attacks. For purposes of said attacks the attacker is treated as having the Combat Casting, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, and Improved Precise Shot feats. The caster level is equal to the animal or fae's hitdice, and the number of missiles is NOT capped at 5, but continues by the same progression indefinitely. For attackers with less than one hit-die, use the following table to calculate damage.
    {table=head]HD|Damage
    <1/8|
    1/8|
    1/4|
    1/3|
    1/2|[/table]
    Moderate Enchantment;CL 9;Brew Potion, 6 ranks in Knowledge(Nature)
    AND One of the following spells: Imbue with Spell Ability OR Imbue Familiar(Check the name of this!)
    AND one of the following spells: Call Lightning OR Orb of Electricity, Lesser OR Glyph of Warding, Greater;Price 2,500 GP

Tangerine Slice, Lesser
    Small blades made of force appear surrounding the drinker of this tea and fly at him, dealing 10d6 slashing damage with a DC 20 reflex save allowed for half.
    Moderate Evocation;CL 10;Brew Potion, Mage's Sword OR Blade Barrier;Price 1,000 GP

Tangerine Slice
    As per Tangerine Slice, Lesser except that if the save is failed then all FUTURE (so NOT from the blades from the tea) slashing damage on the victim is increased by 50% (apply this effect before all saving throws and energy resistances). If this occurs the victim is aware of this effect upon the curse initially taking hold (IE when the tea is drunk, NOT when they first get hit with such damage afterwards).
    Moderate Evocation;CL 10;Brew Potion, Bestow Curse AND (Mage's Sword OR Blade Barrier);Price 10,000? GP

Tangerine Slice, Greater
    As per Tangerine Slice, Lesser except that if the save is failed then all FUTURE (so NOT from the blades from the tea) slashing damage on the victim is doubled (apply this effect before all saving throws and energy resistances). If this occurs the victim is aware of this effect upon the curse initially taking hold (IE when the tea is drunk, NOT when they first get hit with such damage afterwards).
    Moderate Evocation;CL 10;Brew Potion, Bestow Curse AND (Mage's Sword OR Blade Barrier);Price 20,000 GP

Wild Berry Zinger((Mark II version))
    Those cursed by this tea are advised to avoid kicking puppies, throwing stones at birds or frightening fieldmice by walking through thick grass.
    The curse inflicted by this tea may be avoided with a DC 20 Will save, otherwise, until the curse is broken, if each animal and fae that is ever within 300 feet of someone cursed by this tea may use Quickened Magic Missile as a spell-like ability 3 times per day (leaving the range and re-entering it does NOT reset the uses per day for an individual animal). However they may ONLY target the victim (or images of the victim created by the victim such as with Mislead or Mirror Image) with said attacks. For purposes of said attacks the attacker is treated as having the Combat Casting feat. The caster level is equal to the animal or fae's hitdice. For attackers with less than one hit-die, the caster level is 1 for most purposes, but use the following table to calculate damage for the single missile.
    {table=head]HD|Damage
    <1/8|1d2-1 (Minimum 0, Subdual)

1/8|
    1d2-1 (Minimum 0)

1/4|

1/3|
    1d2

1/2|
    1d3
    [/table]
    Moderate Enchantment;CL 9;Brew Potion, 6 ranks in Knowledge(Nature)
    AND One of the following spells: Imbue with Spell Ability OR Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability
    AND one of the following spells: Call Lightning OR Magic Missile OR Glyph of Warding, Greater;Price 2,500 GP
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-06-07 at 09:44 PM.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Mark II version of Wild Berry Zinger completed and replaced for Mark I version in original post.
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

I would like to see a Pulling Tea
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Wild Berry Zinger seems overly complex. I don't like giving Animals and Fey creatures the ability to use a Quickened Orb of Electricity, Lesser just because someone else drank the tea. How would they know that now had that ability? Curses should specify on the drinker without giving a boon to someone else (especially an Animal with an Int of 2). It is further complicated when you start giving said creatures extra feats for the mere purpose of a single attack. What DM is going to want to start factoring that in on the fly? Moreover, what motivates the Fey or Animal to attack in the first place?

Wild Berry Zinger: A drinker of this tea is struck by lightning as if hit by a lightning bolt for 10d6 points of electricity damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 20) halves the damage. The cloying scent of berries lingers on the drinker until washed off. The scent attracts wandering monsters and makes the drinker easy to Track (DC 5) rather then the standard DC 10.
    Faint Evocation; CL 6; Brew Potion, lightning bolt; Cost 1,800 gp

Raspberry Zapper suffers from being rather similar but I think I have a solution

Raspberry Zapper: A drinker of this tea hears an earsplitting Bronx cheer. The sound goes unnoticed by other creatures. However, the drinker is rendered deaf as if hit with a deafness spell. The effect is permanent unless negated by a successful Fort save (DC 20). The cloying sent of raspberry lingers on the drinker until washed off. The scent attracts wandering monsters and makes the drinker easy to Track (DC 5) rather than the standard DC 10.
    Faint Necromancy; CL 3; Brew Potion, blindness/deafness; Cost 600 gp.

Just thought I'd brew up easier versions of your teas. What do you think?

Debby
    P.S. Darkjeeling should also be Faint Necromancy; CL 3; Brew Potion, blindness/deafness; Cost 600 gp.

CL X spell level X 100 = cost for a typical tea. CL is the minimum level needed to cast the spell.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-06-08 at 09:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I am certainly not going to stop you from offering people alternatives. What I fold into the original post is a slightly seperate matter.

Wild Berry Zinger seems overly complex.
    Part of the reason I switched to the Mark II version. I only kept the Mark I around in case someone convinced me to switch back to it. Many of your comments still apply though.
    I don't like giving Animals and Fey creatures the ability to use a Quickened Orb of Electricity, Lesser just because someone else drank the tea. How would they know that now had that ability?
    I guess I need to explicitly state that they DO know(in all details) they have the ability, just like a Corallax (which I think is in MMII, and if it isn't INT 2 should be by my standards) knows about its Color Spray.
    Curses should specify on the drinker without giving a boon to someone else (especially an Animal with an Int of 2).
    Well, since it can only be used on the victim of the tea it seems to me to fit the bill in a rather round about way.
    Question for clarification purposes to try and keep the discussion of this point shorter rather than longer:
    Do you also object to the ones that summon creatures to attack the drinker (almost certainly not), and more importantly do you object to Untrue Blueberry (text reproduced below for your convenience)?
    Untrue Blueberry
    If the drinker of even a small amount of this tea fails a DC 20 will save, then any time they are speaking even a partial truth, then anyone attempting a Sense Motive check against them takes a -10 penalty to the check and if the DC is less than 15 (including non-existent) then it is instead 15. If they fail then their attempt leads them to believe that everything the character said (except for blindingly obvious truths such as "The sun rises in the east.") is a complete fabrication.
    Moderate Enchantment;CL 11;Brew Potion, Summon Monster VI;Price 1,500 GP
    It is further complicated when you start giving said creatures extra feats for the mere purpose of a single attack.
    Mark II cuts this down to a single feat.
    What DM is going to want to start factoring that in on the fly?
    Well, with the new version it is a static adjustment to a type of roll that might be getting made anyway...
    Moreover, what motivates the Fey or Animal to attack in the first place?
    Nothing in particular, but YOU try going on a nature hike without frightening so much as a single mouse...
    Come to that I need to add rules specifically stating that swarms (note especially rat and bat swarms) count as a single creature for purposes of this curse).
    Wild Berry Zinger: A drinker of this tea is struck by lightning as if hit by a lightning bolt for 10d6 points of electricity damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 20) halves the damage. The cloying scent of berries lingers on the drinker until washed off. The scent attracts wandering monsters and makes the drinker easy to Track (DC 5) rather then the standard DC 10.
    Faint Evocation; CL 6; Brew Potion, lightning bolt; Cost 1,800 gp
    Part of the reason for the Mark II version was I didn't want to repeat the "Zinger = Zapper = electrical damage" thing.
    "The scent attracts wandering monsters"... I assume you were going to expect me to come up with detailed rules for this? I wouldn't think you would stand for it otherwise. Still, it is a nice effect and the Tracking thing is also nice. I would maybe make the scent something that the cursed one's body exudes continuously, rather than some thing that can maybe
    Raspberry Zapper suffers from being rather similar but I think I have a solution

Raspberry Zapper: A drinker of this tea hears an earsplitting Bronx cheer. The sound goes unnoticed by other creatures. However, the drinker is rendered deaf as if hit with a deafness spell. The effect is permanent unless negated by a successful Fort save (DC 20). The cloying sent of raspberry lingers on the drinker until washed off. The scent attracts wandering monsters and makes the drinker easy to Track (DC 5) rather than the standard DC 10.
    I may copy-paste the existing text(with the electricity damage) to Tangerine Orange Zinger Zapper, and replace the deafness part in for Raspberry Zinger (which I would change the name back for). It is a nice effect, but since it doesn't have the word "wild" in the name it shouldn't have the attractions and tracking effects.

Just thought I'd brew up easier versions of your teas. What do you think?
    See above.
    Debby
    P.S. Darkjeeling should also be Faint Necromancy; CL 3; Brew Potion, blindness/deafness; Cost 600 gp.

CL X spell level X 100 = cost for a typical tea. CL is the minimum level needed to cast the spell.
    I have been using the potions pricing as my base and adjusting form there, including by "difficult means of delivery to an enemy probably comes out in the wash with the higher DC than the usual magic item rules would suggest". That is I used that when I didn't just pull a number out of thin air, or base it on the cost of other teas. In this particula case I worry about the higher DC causing problems. OTOH I could just make this the exception to the DC 20 rule.
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Untrue Blueberry has a lesser degree of the problem with the curse affecting other people. Here is how I would adjudicate this:

Untrue Blueberry: A drinker of this tea is unable to speak the truth for 24 hours unless he succeeds on a DC 20 Will Save. For the duration of the curse, the drinker is unaffected by discern lies and his tongue turns blue.
    Moderate Transmutation, CL 7; Brew Potion, Glibness, cost 2,100 gp.

I don't think Untrue Blueberry should be permanent as that would tax a Player too much. Should having a blue tongue have any impact on the game? I thought it was just fluff but you may disagree.

Here's my revision of the Wild Berry Zinger as it now incorporates the Scent ability of nearby creatures.

Wild Berry Zinger: A drinker of this tea is struck by lightning as if hit by a lightning bolt spell for 10d6 points of electricity damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 20) halves the damage. The cloying scent of berries lingers on the drinker until washed off. The smell attracts all creatures with the Scent ability within a 60-foot radius and makes the drinker easy to Track (DC 5) rather then the standard DC 10.
    Moderate Evocation; CL 6; Brew Potion, lightning bolt; Cost 1,800 gp

I was thinking the smell would attract creatures more than I was considering how to incorporate "wild." I think this version is an improvement as it incorporates actual game mechanics.

Here is an update to Raspberry Zapper as it now affects only the drinker:

Raspberry Zapper: A drinker of this tea hears an earsplitting Bronx cheer. The sound goes unnoticed by other creatures. However, the drinker is rendered deaf as if hit with a deafness spell. The effect is permanent unless negated by a successful Fort save (DC 20). The cloying scent of raspberry leaves the drinker Sickened until it washed off. Other creatures are unaffected by the smell.

One more thing:

You mention the Tasty Flaw in Irish Breakfast Tea but didn't explain it. Where can I find it? Also, there is a Delicious Flaw in Dragon Magazine issue 330 page 87, did you mean that instead?

[EDIT] Here are my updates to Lemon Lash spells.

Lemon Lash, Lesser

Once a Humanoid touches the cup, the lemon-scented liquid stretches out into a transparent pseudopod and lashes out causing 1d3 points of acid damage. There is no save. Non-Humanoids, including Monstrous Humanoids, may drink the tea normally.

Faint Conjuration; CL 1; Brew Potion, Acid Splash; Price 50 gp

Lemon Lash

As per Lemon Lash, Lesser except the liquid causes 2d4 points of acid damage.
    Faint Conjuration; CL 3; Brew Potion, Acid Arrow; Price 300 gp

Lemon Lash, Greater

As per Lemon Lash, but the liquid causes 2d6 points of acid damage to all Humanoids in a 20-foot radius.

Moderate Conjuration; CL 11; Brew Potion, Acid Fog; Price 3,300 gp

I think this simplifies your ideas without losing too much in translation. This way only Humanoids are targeted so nasty creatures (Hags, Demons, Devils, whatever) can handle the cup and watch the PCs suffer. In effect, this halves the cost since only Humanoids are affected by the liquid. If you want this to affect all Living Creatures, just double the cost.

I'm using a similar view of the Acia Mangling Zinger teas as follows:

Acai Mangling Zinger, Lesser

Upon touching the cup, two spheres made of force attack the drinker, each one deals 1d4+1 points of damage. A successful Reflex save DC 20 negates the damage.
    Faint Evocation; CL 3; Brew Potion, Magic Missile; Price 300 gp

Acai Mangling Zinger

As per Acai Mangling Zinger, Lesser except there are three spheres. A successful Reflex save DC 20 halves the damage.

Moderate Evocation; CL 5; Brew Potion, Magic Missile; Price 500 gp

Acai Mangling Zinger, Greater

As per Acai Mangling Zinger, Lesser except that there are four spheres and no save is available.

Moderate Evocation; CL 7; Brew Potion, Magic Missile; Price 700 gp

Whew!
    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-06-08 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Fixed errors and added text

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Had my quote-tags all messed up here, and hadn't QUITE hit send on the updates to the original post when I posted this. Both should be fixed (although I am still continuing to make edits not mentioned here in the original post).
    Untrue Blueberry has a lesser degree of the problem with the curse affecting other people.

Untrue Blueberry: A drinker of this tea is unable to speak the truth for 24 hours unless he succeeds on a DC 20 Will Save. For the duration of the curse, the drinker is unaffected by discern lies and his tongue turns blue.
    Moderate Transmutation, CL 7; Brew Potion, Glibness, cost 2,100 gp.
    Hmmm... maybe an alternate version with a different name for one of them (Untrue Blueberry Tongue-Tangler?) so they can be told apart if I add the "Mixed Blessings" genre teas, with Tea Pee and Fightin' Irish Breakfast.
    I don't think Untrue Blueberry should be permanent as that would tax a Player too much. Should having a blue tongue have any impact on the game? I thought it was just fluff but you may disagree.
    It might have an effect in some situations, but I would leave that up to the individual GM. In other words, yes, just fluff.
    Here's my revision of the Wild Berry Zinger as it now incorporates the Scent ability of nearby creatures.

Wild Berry Zinger: A drinker of this tea is struck by lightning as if hit by a lightning bolt spell for 10d6 points of electricity damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 20) halves the damage. The cloying scent of berries lingers on the drinker until washed off. The smell attracts all creatures with the Scent ability within a 60-foot radius and makes the drinker easy to Track (DC 5) rather then the standard DC 10.
    That could work, but I really like the magic missiles because they are funnier.
    I was thinking the smell would attract creatures more than I was considering how to incorporate "wild."I think this version is an improvement as it incorporates actual game mechanics.
    Improvement over your previous version by your standards (which I am not disagreeing with here)? Yes.
    Both my versions use very clear game mechanics (albiet I never finished Mark I), it is just that figuring out the implications of those game mechanics (when an animal is going to decide to attack the victim with their new ability) is a bit tricky.
    And I still like mine better for the funny, and thus am unlikely to change it in the original post.
    Here is an update to Raspberry Zapper as it now affects only the drinker.

Raspberry Zapper: A drinker of this tea hears an earsplitting Bronx cheer. The sound goes unnoticed by other creatures. However, the drinker is rendered deaf as if hit with a deafness spell. The effect is permanent unless negated by a successful Fort save (DC 20). The cloying scent of raspberry leaves the drinker Sickened until it washed off. Other creatures are unaffected by the smell.
    As someone who has been driven out of the house by the smell of a blue-berry based treat cooking in the microwave, I approve of this change. Have copy-pasted it in (with credit and name change to ZINGER since no Zapping involved) and making the change I specified earlier about Tangerine Orange Zinger Zapper inheriting all the mechanics from the old version.
    One more thing:

You mention the Tasty Flaw in Irish Breakfast Tea but didn't explain it. Where can I find it? Also, there is a Delicious Flaw in Dragon Magazine issue 330 page 87, did you mean that instead?

Debby
    Yes. Have edited.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-06-08 at 03:08 PM.
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

See my note at the top of my previous post if you haven't already.
    [EDIT] Here are my updates to Lemon Lash spells.

Lemon Lash, Lesser

Once a Humanoid touches the cup, the lemon-scented liquid stretches out into a transparent pseudopod and lashes out causing 1d3 points of acid damage. There is no save. Non-Humanoids, including Monstrous Humanoids, may drink the tea normally.

Faint Conjuration; CL 1; Brew Potion, Acid Splash; Price 50 gp

Lemon Lash

As per Lemon Lash, Lesser except the liquid causes 2d4 points of acid damage.
    Faint Conjuration; CL 3; Brew Potion, Acid Arrow; Price 300 gp

Lemon Lash, Greater

As per Lemon Lash, but the liquid causes 2d6 points of acid damage to all Humanoids in a 20-foot radius.

Moderate Conjuration; CL 11; Brew Potion, Acid Fog; Price 3,300 gp

I think this simplifies your ideas without losing too much in translation. This way only Humanoids are targeted so nasty creatures (Hags, Demons, Devils, whatever) can handle the cup and watch the PCs suffer. In effect, this halves the cost since only Humanoids are affected by the liquid. If you want this to affect all Living Creatures, just double the cost.

Debby
    Having the target have to actually drink it seems a much more straight-forward way of keeping it from going off on the person attempting to serve it to his enemies. The delay was my way of explaining why it wasn't an auto-hit. I do kinda like the ongoing vulnerability thing, but I could see turning these into even lesser versions (in which case I would covert it to a roman numeral system), although the AoE one has its own advantages (especially since otherwise you tend to only get one person at each "tea party" regardless of if the party finds the teas, or has them served to them, since they will know something is up after the first one gets cursed). Maybe I should add a 1 minute delay to receiving knowledge of the curse after it is inflicted to the boiler-plate that is shortcut by the curse actually coming up (hit by electrical damage if made vulnerable to it)? That way a whole party could be gotten.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

EDIT: Had my quote-tags all messed up here, and hadn't QUITE hit send on the updates to the original post when I posted this. Both should be fixed (although I am still continuing to make edits not mentioned here in the original post).
    One major edit would be to put all the teas in alphabetical order.

Hmmm... maybe an alternate version with a different name for one of them (Untrue Blueberry Tongue-Tangler?) so they can be told apart if I add the "Mixed Blessings" genre teas, with Tea Pee and Fightin' Irish Breakfast.

It might have an effect in some situations, but I would leave that up to the individual GM. In other words, yes, just fluff.
    Fluff is always fun. I can only imagine where these teas are going. :-)

That could work, but I really like the magic missiles because they are funnier.
    I think being zapped by lightning could be fun. Maybe I could add more humorous effect.

Wild Berry Zinger: A drinker of this tea is struck by lightning as if hit by a lightning bolt spell for 10d6 points of electricity damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 20) halves the damage. The cloying scent of berries mixed with repulsive smell of singed hair lingers on the drinker until washed off. The smell attracts all creatures with the Scent ability within a 60-foot radius and makes the drinker easy to Track (DC 5) rather then the standard DC 10.

Is it too much now? Having once lit my own hair on fire (while making home-made candles), I can attest at how bad burnt hair smells. :-)

[Quote]Improvement over your previous version by your standards (which I am not disagreeing with here)? Yes.[Quote] Thank you.

Both my versions use very clear game mechanics (albiet I never finished Mark I), it is just that figuring out the implications of those game mechanics (when an animal is going to decide to attack the victim with their new ability) is a bit tricky.
    Yeah, that is the hard part. That's why I went a different route entirely.
    You can certainly nix my idea of Lemon Lash or make it an effect that takes place after you drink the tea.

Since it is a tea I couldn't quite figure out how the psuedopod lashed out AFTER you drank the tea because I forgot it only takes a small sip for the effect to take place. Sorry about that. At least the CL and costs are corrected.

And I still like mine better for the funny, and thus am unlikely to change it in the original post.
    Not a problem. Maybe we can hash out some mechanics for it after all. I can work on the CL and costs and maybe alternative spells that work better.

As someone who has been driven out of the house by the smell of a blue-berry based treat cooking in the microwave, I approve of this change. Have copy-pasted it in (with credit and name change to ZINGER since no Zapping involved) and making the change I specified earlier about Tangerine Orange Zinger Zapper inheriting all the mechanics from the old version.
    Zinger/Zapper makes no difference to me. I'm glad you liked some of my updates.

I look forward to seeing this thread completed (or at least mostly completed). That's the thing with magic items of a type--you can always think of one more.

Back to your version...

Upon drinking this tea, the drinker must make a successful DC 20 Will save or be cursed to earn the enmity of any Animal or Fey creature he meets. Animals or Fey creatures within 300 feet are always Hostile. The hostile creature gains Quickened Magic Missile as a Spell-like Ability 3 times per day but the only target may be the drinker of the tea.

Does that help?

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-06-08 at 04:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Back to your version...

Upon drinking this tea, the drinker must make a successful DC 20 Will save or be cursed to earn the enmity of any Animal or Fey creature he meets. Animals or Fey creatures within 300 feet are always Hostile. The hostile creature gains Quickened Magic Missile as a Spell-like Ability 3 times per day but the only target may be the drinker of the tea.

Does that help?
    Looks great... for a "Greater" version. The idea of having to be CAREFUL around animals, rather than simply always being attacked by them could make for some very nice roleplay which is why I want to keep the original around... "Nice kitty... good kitty... *whimpers* please don't hurt me...*sobs*"
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-06-08 at 05:27 PM.
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Looks great... for a "Greater" version. The idea of having to be CAREFUL around animals, rather than simply always being attacked by them could make for some very nice roleplay which is why I want to keep the original around... "Nice kitty... good kitty... *whimpers* please don't hurt me...*sobs*"

Perhaps it should be Unfriendly rather than Hostile. It's one of those things that can be tweaked. The problem I have is that the tea should only should increase in price and CL depending on the HD of creature affected. That gets too complicated too quickly. I kinda want to see a one-size fits all variety of tea but it may not be possible.

How about this:

Upon drinking this tea, the drinker must make a successful DC 20 Will save or be cursed to have every Animal and Fey creature he meets be completely Indifferent to him. Any Diplomacy check made to influence Animals or Fey creatures is at a -10 penalty. If drinker fails a Diplomacy check, the creature immediately becomes Unfriendly. If the creature becomes Hostile, it gains Quickened Magic Missile as a Spell-like Ability 3 times per day but the only target may be the drinker of the tea.

It's clunky (one Will save and two Diplomacy checks), but it is mechanically sound. I have no idea how you would price this since there is a huge range. Maybe the lesser tea affects creatures with 5 HD or fewer, Standard 5-10 and greater 10-15. Creatures with more than 15 HD react normally.

Also, here are the revised Lemon Lash spells:

Lemon Lash, Lesser

Once the drinker has tasted this tea, a transparent, lemon-scented pseudopod lashes out at the drinker causing 1d3 points of acid damage. There is no save.

Faint Conjuration; CL 1; Brew Potion, Acid Splash; Price 100 gp

Lemon Lash

As per Lemon Lash, Lesser except the pseudopod causes 2d4 points of acid damage.

Faint Conjuration; CL 3; Brew Potion, Acid Arrow; Price 600 gp

Lemon Lash, Greater

As per Lemon Lash, but the pseudopod causes 2d6 points of acid damage to all targets in a 20-foot radius.

Moderate Evocation; CL 11; Brew Potion, Acid Fog; Price 6,600 gp

Well, at least you'll smell good after being attacked by the Lemon Lash.

Debby

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno... I feel like we may be getting a bit stiffled by over analysis and the fact that it is just the two of us bouncing stuff back and forth. Going to take a break from thinking about the points you bring up at least for tonight. Might or might not flesh out a few more of the ones I just have parenthetical notes for.

BTW, I did Peppermint.
    Extended Signature