New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Quirks (Level 1 Feats) (Updates!, PEACH)

So, I don't know about you guys, but I personally like giving lots of feats to my players. I use an enhanced feat scheme (given at 1, 2, 4, 6, and every even level thereafter). Recently, I was struck with the idea to grant a unique feat slot to all characters (and NPCs, but that's just me) called the "Quirk", a feat slot for those feats that read "can only be taken at 1st level". However, there aren't too many of those feats, so I decided to make a few extras. They follow.

These all have the unique tag of [1st], which is just shorthand for myself. Assume that said tag translates into "can only be taken at 1st level" for the prerequisites, since I don't want to type that for every feat! Unless noted, all the following feats are assumed to be Supernatural abilities. Quirks are optional, so a character does not have to select one at 1st level, though it's highly recommended.

Please, I welcome your feedback/constructive criticism/enjoyment, so have at it!

The Feats
    Power in the Blood [1st]
    You have the ancient and rare gift of blood power, and have trained yourself to use blood in place of expending magic, but at a terrible cost.
    Prerequisites: Must be a spellcaster.
    Benefits: You may add a unique somatic component to spells you cast, by drawing your own blood. Using a slashing or piercing weapon, you may deal yourself 6 points of damage per level of the spell (3 for a 0th level slot) and not expend the spell slot once the spell is cast. If the spell is disrupted for any reason (failed Concentration check from distractions, spell failure from armor, any similar reason), the slot is lost and you still take the damage. You may use this ability 1/day per five character levels you have attained. This ability extends the spell's casting time to 1 full-round, and cannot be used for still spells or quickened spells.

Bleeding Strike [1st]
    As a young warrior, you learned how to make your foes suffer with a vicious, semi-magical strike.
    Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +1
    Benefits: To use this feat, you must wield a slashing melee weapon. As a full-round action, you may make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack deals normal damage, and if it deals hit point damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC=the attack roll). If they fail the save, they suffer a horrible bleeding wound that deals 1 hp/4 character levels you have per round until they receive magical healing, a Heal check (DC 10+character level), or they die. This ability cannot be used against creatures that do not bleed (here defined as most undead and constructs, though the DM is the final arbiter in a dispute). This damage does not stack with itself, and can only be used every 1d4 rounds.
    Special: Unlike normal Heal checks, which are implied to be used on someone else, the Heal check called for by this feat can be performed by the bleeding creature at no penalty.

Eidetic Memory [1st]
    You never forget a face. Or anything else, for that matter.
    Benefits: You gain a +1 innate bonus to Knowledge checks and a +4 innate bonus to any check to remember something. Additionally, you are immune to any magical attempt to modify your memory (such as a modify memory or mindrape spell). This is an extraordinary ability.

Sneak Attack Focus [1st]
    You have trained and trained with your sneak attacking ability, and now you are skilled above and beyond your peers.
    Prerequisites: Sneak attack +1d6, Dexterity 15+
    Benefits: Whenever you successfully make a sneak attack, you deal an extra +1d6 damage. For example, Bob the 1st level rogue sneak attacks Jim, the 1st level commoner. Bob has Sneak Attack Focus, and so deals +2d6 damage with his sneak attack, instead of +1d6. This damage is added to your sneak attack, and cannot be used to qualify for feats, prestige classes, equipment, or anything else.
    Special: It is recommended that this feat be renamed Precision Focus and permitted to function with Skirmish and Sudden Strike as well, but the author recognizes not everyone uses said mechanisms, and so it's not part of the basic feat.

Mind Over Matter [1st]
    Through rigorous discipline and intense study of anatomy and magic, you have developed the ability to heal your own wounds.
    Prerequisites: Wisdom 15+
    Benefits: You gain a pool of healing you can use to heal yourself with each day. This pool of healing has a number of hp equal to 2+your Wisdom modifier times your character level (ie. (2+Wis mod)xlevel). To use this healing requires a Concentration check (DC 15+the number of points you wish to use) and a standard action. If you succeed on the check, you heal the desired amount. If you fail, you don't heal. Regardless of the results of the check, you can only call upon this feat once per hour.
    Special: This feat was written with the author's campaigns in mind, where healing is fairly cheap. If your games are stricter with healing, then dropping the health pool to (1+Wis mod)xlevel or even just 2 times character level would be appropriate. Less than 2 times character level is unadvised, due to that being a very small number.

Stunning Strike [1st]
    Using a blunt weapon, you can stun your opponents with a single mighty swing.
    Benefits: To use this feat, you must wield a bludgeoning melee weapon. As a full-round action, you may make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack deals normal damage, and if it deals hit point damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC=the attack roll). If they fail the save, they are stunned for 1 round. This ability can only be used every 1d4 rounds.

Sight Beyond Sight [1st]
    You have the supernatural ability to see that which should be beyond your vision.
    Benefits: Anytime you attack an opponent with concealment, you roll the miss chance dice twice instead of once, and take the more favorable result.
    Special: Sight Beyond Sight counts as Blind-Fight for all purposes, including qualifying for equipment, prestige classes, and other feats.

Impossible Shot [1st]
    Your marksmanship is legend, even now, and you can make shots others deem impossible.
    Prerequisites: Proficient with bows or crossbows, Dexterity 15+
    Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, while wielding a bow or crossbow, you may as a full-round action ignore all concealment and cover, up to and including total cover, for a single attack, made at your highest attack bonus.
    Special: It is recommended that this feat be permitted to apply to firearms as well, if such are used in your campaigns.

Legendary Shot
    Your mastery of ranged weapons is so amazing, you can perform feats of skill even heroes and creatures of legend dare not attempt.
    Prerequisites: Impossible Shot, BAB +6, Dexterity 19+
    Benefits: You can use Impossible Shot once per day per character level. Additionally, you now use Impossible Shot as an attack action, instead of as a full-round action, permitting use of Impossible Shot in full attacks.

Note: This feat isn't a [1st] feat, but it builds on one, and so I included it here, thanks to feedback from ericgrau and others.

Thunderstomp [1st]
    Your footsteps are as thunder.
    Prerequisites: Strength 17+
    Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, you may stomp the ground in fury. This stomp forces all creatures in a 10-ft radius of you to make Balance checks (DC 10+your strength modifier) or fall prone. You are immune to your own stomp.

Blood of the Blade Lords [1st]
    You were infused at birth with a drop of blood spilled by one of the Blade Lords, granting you a unique skill with a specific weapon type.
    Prerequisites: BAB +1, Strength or Dexterity 15+ (depends on weapon type selected, Swords/Axes/Hammers/Polearms are Strength, Bows/Projectiles/Chains are Dexterity)
    Benefits: Select a weapon type (Swords, Axes, Hammers, Bows, Projectiles, Chains, or Polearms). You are proficient with all weapons of that type (ask your DM for specific cases, though the Gyrspike is specially called out as existing in no category) and no others. This feat overrides all existing weapon proficiencies. You gain a limited version of your Blade Lord's special attack, outlined below:
    Spoiler
    Show

Swords: You gain the power to swing your blade with such fury that you duplicate the Flurry of Swords ability from your Blade Lord. 1/day/5 character levels as a full-round action, you can make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus and all targets in a 50 ft long line emanating out from you must make a Reflex save (DC=the attack roll) or suffer an automatic critical hit. If a creature makes the save, they suffer only normal damage (not a critical hit).
    Axes: You have learned to focus your anger into the blood of your Blade Lord, fueling it and driving your attacks. 1/day/4 character levels as a swift action, you can add your Strength to your attacks as an extra bonus to damage. Note that this is your Strength score, not the modifier, but the full score.
    Hammers: Your blood grants you the power of your patron to defeat magic. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can declare a dispelling strike. You make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus, and if you hit, the target of your attack is subject to a dispel magic-like effect (Caster Level=your character level, max 15).
    Bows: You gain the power of your Blade Lord to rain death upon your foes. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you may make a ranged attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack has no target, instead affecting everyone in a 10-ft square. Anyone in that square whose AC you beat with your attack is affected as if you shot them directly.
    Projectiles: You gain the power of your Blade Lord's shield, the power of the reflecting block. 1/day/4 character levels as an immediate action, you may declare a reflecting block against an incoming projectile attack (this can be magical or not). You make a Reflex save (DC=their attack roll). If you make the save, the projectile is reflected back towards the attacker, who rerolls against themselves.
    Chains: You can entangle your opponents with your chains, just like your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus. The target of your attack must make a Reflex save (DC=the attack roll) or become entangled by a ghostly shadow of your weapon. The entanglement lasts for 1d4 rounds. If they make the save or you miss, the ability is not wasted and they are not entangled.
    Polearms: Your reach is supernaturally long, just like your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a swift action, you can extend your reach by 5 ft for one round.

Special: This requires a bit of familiarity with my Blade Lord project. By the by, please don't necro that thread. Additionally, Blood of the Blade Lords counts as the entire Weapon Focus tree (here defined as Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and the Greater versions of both) for purposes of prerequisites for prestige classes, feats, and equipment.

Spell Thematics [1st]
    You have an inherent twist to your spells that can't be duplicated, and makes it hard for others to understand what you're casting.
    Benefits: Choose a thematic style, such as Skulls, Fire, or Butterflies. All spells you cast now use that thematic style instead of whatever their normal visual manifestation is. The Spellcraft DC to identify your spells increases by 2. Additionally, the energy type of all your spells with an energy type changes to a single type that matches your thematic choice, declared when you select this feat (this change is mandatory). For example, if your thematic style is Spheres, you might choose Cold, since Cold is the energy type associated with Elemental Water in D&D.
    Special: This is my rewrite of the Spell Thematics feat. I never liked the one in PGtF all that much, but the idea is so awesome, it makes me smile. The wording is rough, but I feel like the idea is good.

Thoughthammer [1st, Psionic]
    You share a mental connection with a great psion of old, and can channel his will through yourself.
    Prerequisites: Must have power points
    Benefits: You can manifest a unique mental attack called the thoughthammer. The thoughthammer is a full-round action, costs 1 power point, and can be augmented up to 1 power point/character level (ie. total pp=character level). The thoughthammer affects a single target, which must make a Will save (DC 10+number of points expended) or suffer 1 Wisdom damage per 3 character levels. You suffer 1 point of Wisdom damage as well, for channeling the ancient psion's power is strenuous.

Altering the Deal [1st]
    "But you said we had a deal!"
    "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
    -Amon being told what the score is by a binder with Altering the Deal

Prerequisites: Soul binding
    Benefits: When binding a vestige with an ability that has a cooldown measured in rounds, you may give up access to one ability of that vestige in exchange for reducing that cooldown by 1 round/4 character levels. This decision must be made when you bind that vestige each day. You may only use this feat once per vestige, but may apply it to any number of vestiges each day. For example, Kratak the 8th level Binder binds Paimon and Amon. He chooses to sacrifice access to Paimon's Whirlwind Attack to reduce the cooldown time on Dance of Death, and to sacrifice access to Amon's Darkvision to reduce the cooldown time on Fire Breath. The cooldown on both abilities is reduced by 2 for Kratak for the next 24 hours only.

Legacy of the Void [1st]
    Your soul courses with the power of the inbetween places that man was never meant to know or realize.
    Prerequisites: Must have access to mysteries
    Benefits: You may tap into the void that exists beneath and beyond all things, but doing so has a price. 1/day/2 character levels, as an immediate action, you may sacrifice one use of an apprentice mystery to gain an insight bonus to your next saving throw or skill check equal to the level of the mystery sacrificed. As you grow in power, so does your connection to the void. At 7th level, you may sacrifice an initiate mystery instead, but doing so takes two of your daily uses of this feat, and at 13th level, you may sacrifice a master mystery, but doing so takes three of your daily uses of this feat. As a special use of the feat, you may sacrifice a fundamental (spell level 0 gives a bonus of +1 in this case). Doing so does not take a daily use of this feat.

Shadows of Truth [1st]
    Your words have shadows, and like your own, have a life of their own.
    Prerequisites: Must have access to mysteries, Charisma 15+
    Benefits: You are a smooth talker, able to convince anyone of anything, but this ability has a price. Anytime you use a mystery, you gain an insight bonus to your next Bluff, Intimidate, or Diplomacy check equal to the level of the mystery. However, your shadow (which is always a bit off, as per standard shadowcaster rules) mimics your words mockingly. Anyone who makes a DC 20+mystery level Spot check can see the deception for what it is, and you do not gain the bonus to that check. You cannot benefit from this feat more than once per check, and if you would have multiple bonuses to the check you instead take the higher one.
    Special: Still Mystery specifically stills your shadow when casting a mystery. If you use a bonus to a check that was granted by a stilled mystery, your shadow is stilled for that check as well. It behooves players to keep track of where their bonuses come from if using Still Mystery.

Contorted Soul [1st]
    Your body is lithe and your soul mirrors your flesh in this regard.
    Prerequisites: Dexterity 15+, Non-good alignment
    Benefits: You have great manual dexterity, and for some unclear reason, your morality is just as fluid. You are always treated as whatever alignment is beneficial to you at that moment (ie. detect alignment spells always detect you as the most innocuous alignment, the holy word line always treats you as the best possible alignment for the results of the spell, etc). However, should you ever reveal your deception to someone, you lose access to this feat for 1 day, as the powers that grant you this evasion of the soul resent such behavior.
    Special: Normally, I shy away from alignment restrictions on feats, but in this case, it seemed necessary. You can remove the alignment restriction if you wish, but I suggest leaving it or at least replacing it with something else thematically appropriate.

Feat Name [1st, xxx]
    Flavor text.
    Prerequisites:
    Benefits:
    Normal:
    Special:

I welcome your own 1st level feats, and will post them up here in a spoiler. I intend to make more (mostly from other 3.5 feats, but might make my own too), so I'll probably update this over time with new feats.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-05 at 06:35 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [3.5] The Level 1 Feats (PEACH)

Okay, this is pretty interesting idea. I like most of these feats actually. They give characters a nice speciality. Also, flavour wise, most of these are good.

Other than that, I've got a few comments on some of your abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Impossible Shot [1st]
    Your marksmanship is legend, even now, and you can make shots others deem impossible.
    Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, while wielding a bow or crossbow, you may as a full-round action ignore all concealment and cover for a single attack, made at your highest attack bonus.
    Special: It is recommended that this feat be permitted to apply to firearms as well, if such are used in your campaigns.
    Although this is a nice ability, I do believe it's far from unique. If I recall correctly, the feat Improved Precise Shot allows you to do this better, as a normal attack. However, the prerequisites are rather steep, requiring you to be level 11.

Another comment, why shouldn't this apply to thrown weapons and other ranged weapons?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Feats
    Power in the Blood [1st]
    You have the ancient and rare gift of blood power, and have trained yourself to use blood in place of expending magic, but at a terrible cost.
    Benefits: You may add a unique somatic component to spells you cast, by drawing your own blood. Using a slashing or piercing weapon, you may deal yourself 6 points of damage per level of the spell (3 for a 0th level slot) and not expend the spell slot once the spell is cast. If the spell is disrupted for any reason (failed Concentration check from distractions, spell failure from armor, any similar reason), the slot is lost and you still take the damage. You may use this ability 1/day per five character levels you have attained. This ability extends the spell's casting time to 1 full-round, and cannot be used for still spells or quickened spells.
    I would recommend making this unable to be used for healing spells or spells that grant temporary hit points. With a divine caster, from 4th level on (2nd level if they get Augment Healing, 3rd if they have Healing Domain, 1st if they have both), they get infinite out of combat healing without expending a spell slot by preparing and using a cure light wounds spell. Or just making it so that you cannot use this feat to use healing spells and spells that grant temporary hit points (Otherwise sorcerer/wizards could abuse false life later down the line).

Failed my spot check on limited uses/day... <.<
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-12-27 at 01:24 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    I would recommend making this unable to be used for healing spells or spells that grant temporary hit points. With a divine caster, from 4th level on (2nd level if they get Augment Healing, 3rd if they have Healing Domain, 1st if they have both), they get infinite out of combat healing without expending a spell slot by preparing and using a cure light wounds spell. Or just making it so that you cannot use this feat to use healing spells and spells that grant temporary hit points (Otherwise sorcerer/wizards could abuse false life later down the line).
    There are a limited amount of uses.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    There are a limited amount of uses.
    Ah. Never mind, then...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

I like it, but only a few of these really seem level 1 specific: Power in the Blood, Eidetic Memory, and Sight Beyond Sight. Mind over Matter sort of fits, but I could see picking it up later. The rest, however, don't seem like anything special, and I'd remove the level 1 only requirement.

Decent concept and balance all around though. I'll have to check more thoroughly later, but for now, great job.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like this idea, although I would also open it to some racial feats that require first level (Dragonwrought Kobold, the Warforged body feats, and maybe the heritage feats for Sorcerers).
    The Age of Warrior, a ToB expansion.

Credits to Ninjaman for old Death Jester avatar.
    Homebrew (feel free to PEACH)
    Base Classes:
    Fighter Fix, The Sublime Matador

Disciplines:
    The Endless Play

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'vebeen using a similar kindif feat in my MV game for a while...

I've always used the Iron Heroes name: Traits... catchier

I'll post some of them if you'd like, though they're generally not designed with high magic in mind o i'm not sure how they'll integrate...

edit: typing awful, sick in bed
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2010-12-27 at 03:43 PM.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

9. - Top - End - #9

Bleeding Strike [1st]
    As a young warrior, you learned how to make your foes suffer with a vicious, semi-magical strike.
    Benefits: To use this feat, you must wield a slashing melee weapon. As a full-round action, you may make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack deals normal damage, and if it deals hit point damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC=the attack roll). If they fail the save, they suffer a horrible bleeding wound that deals 1 hp/4 character levels you have per round until they receive magical healing or a DC 20 Heal check or they die. This ability cannot be used against creatures that do not bleed (here defined as most undead and constructs, though the DM is the final arbiter in a dispute). This damage does not stack with itself, and can only be used every 1d4 rounds.
    I think 1d2 rounds would work better. Once you get multiple attacks per round, your full attack may well be better than this. Still, as is, it's fairly decent.

Sneak Attack Focus [1st]
    You have trained and trained with your sneak attacking ability, and now you are skilled above and beyond your peers.
    Prerequisites: Sneak attack +1d6, Dexterity 15+
    Benefits: Whenever you successfully make a sneak attack, you deal an extra +1d6 damage. For example, Bob the 1st level rogue sneak attacks Jim, the 1st level commoner. Bob has Sneak Attack Focus, and so deals +2d6 damage with his sneak attack, instead of +1d6.
    Special: It is recommended that this feat be renamed Precision Focus and permitted to function with Skirmish and Sudden Strike as well, but the author recognizes not everyone uses said mechanisms, and so it's not part of the basic feat.
    This is pretty good early on, but later, it becomes far less valuable, as instead of doing double your sneak attack damage, you're getting one fifth, or one eighth, or one tenth. It works a little better with skirmish, but maybe a scaling bonus is in order.

Mind Over Matter [1st]
    Through rigorous discipline and intense study of anatomy and magic, you have developed the ability to heal your own wounds.
    Prerequisites: Wisdom 15+
    Benefits: You gain a pool of healing you can use to heal yourself with each day. This pool of healing has a number of hp equal to 2+your Wisdom modifier times your character level (ie. (2+Wis mod)xlevel). To use this healing requires a Concentration check (DC 15+the number of points you wish to use) and a full-round action. If you succeed on the check, you heal the desired amount. If you fail, you don't heal. Regardless of the results of the check, you can only call upon this feat once per hour.
    Special: This feat was written with the author's campaigns in mind, where healing is fairly cheap. If your games are stricter with healing, then dropping the health pool to (1+Wis mod)xlevel or even just 2 times character level would be appropriate. Less than 2 times character level is unadvised, due to that being a very small number.
    This could be a fairly useful out-of-combat healing source. That Concentration check is going to be a fairly high-DC check, though, so you'll have to be careful not to fail.

Also, do you lose the healing you wanted to call upon if you fail the check? Right now, I assume the answer is "No."

Impossible Shot [1st]
    Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, while wielding a bow or crossbow, you may as a full-round action ignore all concealment and cover for a single attack, made at your highest attack bonus.
    I like it. It's like Improved Precise Shot, but it goes around total cover, as well. If I had done this feat, I'd have made it so you could use this feat once per round as part of an attack (with the daily limits still included). Then it would be better than Improved Precise Shot for one attack per round.

Thunderstomp [1st]
    Your footsteps are as thunder.
    Prerequisites: Strength 19+
    Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, you may stomp the ground in fury. This stomp forces all creatures in a 10-ft radius of you to make Balance checks (DC 10+your strength modifier) or fall prone. You are immune to your own stomp.
    I'd lower the Strength requirement to 15+ or 17+, simply because I'd like a dwarf to have this.

The DC is fairly low, but at the same time, almost nothing takes Balance, so it should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    I like it, but only a few of these really seem level 1 specific: Power in the Blood, Eidetic Memory, and Sight Beyond Sight. Mind over Matter sort of fits, but I could see picking it up later. The rest, however, don't seem like anything special, and I'd remove the level 1 only requirement.

Decent concept and balance all around though. I'll have to check more thoroughly later, but for now, great job.
    I agree.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sight Beyond Sight is very similar to Blind-Fight, but does not give as many benefits, and has the added pre-requisite of 1st level only, where Blind-Fight is pre-req free and is a pre-req for more powerful feats (pierce magical concealment)

Otherwise, it looks pretty solid. I especially like the sneak attack focus one, since I mainly play rogues
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Good feats overall, but I think that Power in the Blood is pretty much useless. Prodigal Spellcaster gets you the same thing, pretty much, except it doesn't deal damage to you.

Sneak Attack Focus, does it 1) increase sneak attack or does it 2) add extra damage when you make a sneak attack?

1) This could be lovely to qualify for things earlier. This also lets you get more benefit from ambush feats/abilities...

2) Icky, but nice when combined with the Penetrating Strike ACF (IIRC, That's the name) where you get half sneak attack vs Undead, with +1d6 now. Could also be nice when something negates your sneak attack damage and not the sneak attack itself, for example Warforged Fortification. It's also good if you've got something that converts your sneak attack damage type or using an ambush feat.

I am of the same school of thought, more feats makes it fun to build characters. It also makes certain feats more usable, of course...
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

Retired from active duty

It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.

PEACH

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Bleeding Strike [1st]
    Benefits: To use this feat, you must wield a slashing melee weapon. As a full-round action, you may make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack deals normal damage, and if it deals hit point damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC=the attack roll). If they fail the save, they suffer a horrible bleeding wound that deals 1 hp/4 character levels you have per round until they receive magical healing or a DC 20 Heal check or they die. This ability cannot be used against creatures that do not bleed (here defined as most undead and constructs, though the DM is the final arbiter in a dispute). This damage does not stack with itself, and can only be used every 1d4 rounds.
    If this is used against players in a party without immediate access to Heal checks, or against a monster without the same, the results are pretty deadly. Let's say that this is used at level one. That means that if the monster/party member takes the hit, and fails the fortitude save, then they take 1 damage per round, potentially forever. Even if they are only wounded for an hour, that deals 1*10*60, or 600 damage.

And that is just at level one. At level 20, if this is allowed to persist for 10 minutes, it deals 5*10*10, or 500 damage.
    10 minutes isn't even all that long of a time period, and it deals enough damage to outright kill an ancient Silver Dragon, every brass dragon except for great wyrm, Every bronze dragon younger than wyrm, every copper dragon that isn't a great wyrm (unless any of these dragon's have Cleric casting instead of sorcerer casting; I can never remember). Also, it is never stated; is it affected by damage reduction? If so, then it becomes useless as soon as damage reduction appears. If not, then it is still really powerful.

[Edit]: One way to fix it would be for it to have a set duration. Even one like a minute is enough for it to be useful (providing some small amount of damage, even at level 1), and still not being ridiculous. In fact, the only problem with the feat seems to be the fact that it has an infinite duration unless certain conditions are met.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2010-12-30 at 01:16 AM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    If this is used against players in a party without immediate access to Heal checks, or against a monster without the same, the results are pretty deadly. Let's say that this is used at level one. That means that if the monster/party member takes the hit, and fails the fortitude save, then they take 1 damage per round, potentially forever. Even if they are only wounded for an hour, that deals 1*10*60, or 600 damage.

And that is just at level one. At level 20, if this is allowed to persist for 10 minutes, it deals 5*10*10, or 500 damage.
    10 minutes isn't even all that long of a time period, and it deals enough damage to outright kill an ancient Silver Dragon, every brass dragon except for great wyrm, Every bronze dragon younger than wyrm, every copper dragon that isn't a great wyrm (unless any of these dragon's have Cleric casting instead of sorcerer casting; I can never remember). Also, it is never stated; is it affected by damage reduction? If so, then it becomes useless as soon as damage reduction appears. If not, then it is still really powerful.

[Edit]: One way to fix it would be for it to have a set duration. Even one like a minute is enough for it to be useful (providing some small amount of damage, even at level 1), and still not being ridiculous. In fact, the only problem with the feat seems to be the fact that it has an infinite duration unless certain conditions are met.
    Against characters, it's most likely not a problem, as they should have some sort of healing anyway. If they don't, they can always attempt the Heal check, regardless of their ranks in it; it's usable untrained.

Against enemies, unless you're running away or avoiding the target for an extremely long period of time, it won't be a problem. Even if you don't do that, the enemy's likely to have some sort of healing, whether that be in the form of an ally healer, a wand, a scroll, or spell-like abilities.

I don't really see a problem in standard D&D 3.5.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Against characters, it's most likely not a problem, as they should have some sort of healing anyway. If they don't, they can always attempt the Heal check, regardless of their ranks in it; it's usable untrained.

Against enemies, unless you're running away or avoiding the target for an extremely long period of time, it won't be a problem. Even if you don't do that, the enemy's likely to have some sort of healing, whether that be in the form of an ally healer, a wand, a scroll, or spell-like abilities.

I don't really see a problem in standard D&D 3.5.
    Then why is it necessary for it to be infinite duration? That doesn't even make sense, since almost all non-magic wounds eventually heal. For some reason, when this certain person hits someone, they bleed. Forever! Simply because one assumes that everyone has access to healing doesn't necessarily make it so. This character could go into a town and kill everyone by pricking them with his dagger once each, and then having them bleed out.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Then why is it necessary for it to be infinite duration? That doesn't even make sense, since almost all non-magic wounds eventually heal. For some reason, when this certain person hits someone, they bleed. Forever! Simply because one assumes that everyone has access to healing doesn't necessarily make it so. This character could go into a town and kill everyone by pricking them with his dagger once each, and then having them bleed out.
    That could possibly be troublesome, but at the same time, there's a saving throw, and someone would notice a dagger hitting them (unless it's combined with Mosquito's Bite, which is usable only once every five minutes, according to Tome of Battle's out-of-battle encounter measurements). Past the saving throw and having other people (guards, family, friends, heroes, guilds, etc.) come to defense, there's always Heal checks and any form of magical healing available (which, admittedly, could be problematic for priests and such, since there's only so much per day).

It might not make sense, but I hardly think that matters in D&D.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It might not make sense, but I hardly think that matters in D&D.
    A few things. First, this is kinda the motto here. I believe I said in the first post that, unless otherwise stated, these are all meant to be Supernatural abilities, granted through sorcerous or eldritch means. If I didn't, I'm terribly sorry (wrote it the night I left for a lengthy road trip, was tired).

Second, I'm too bushed to actually respond in a meaningful fashion right now to you all, but I will tomorrow if I can (should have the time). Thanks for all the interest though, and I'm very curious to see what you all have to say, be it bad or good.

Finally, thanks to Temotei for holding the fort in my absence. Thanks dude.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

A few things. First, this is kinda the motto here. I believe I said in the first post that, unless otherwise stated, these are all meant to be Supernatural abilities, granted through sorcerous or eldritch means. If I didn't, I'm terribly sorry (wrote it the night I left for a lengthy road trip, was tired).
    Even then, I am still not seeing how a level one character could make a wound that never healed naturally. Like, the feat doesn't really have any supernatural requirements, or supernatural flavor. Any old fighter could take it, and he could still bleed out just about everyone ever if they don't get a fairly competent healer, or someone with healing magic.

Why is adding a duration so bad? It is less about making sense literally, and more about making mechanical sense at the same time. Wounds from a level one character, even if they do have some sort of crazy magical ability, shouldn't last forever. It doesn't make sense mechanically (unless you are going to say that every monster ever has magical healing or a pumped up heal skill, ), and it doesn't make sense in literal terms. Combined with the fact that this has a very, very simple solution, and that it would reduce the impossibility as well as decreasing the numerical ridiculousness of a permanent duration (besides with magical healing and/or the heal skill), I am not understanding the argument here.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Even then, I am still not seeing how a level one character could make a wound that never healed naturally. Like, the feat doesn't really have any supernatural requirements, or supernatural flavor. Any old fighter could take it, and he could still bleed out just about everyone ever if they don't get a fairly competent healer, or someone with healing magic.

Why is adding a duration so bad? It is less about making sense literally, and more about making mechanical sense at the same time. Wounds from a level one character, even if they do have some sort of crazy magical ability, shouldn't last forever. It doesn't make sense mechanically (unless you are going to say that every monster ever has magical healing or a pumped up heal skill, ), and it doesn't make sense in literal terms. Combined with the fact that this has a very, very simple solution, and that it would reduce the impossibility as well as decreasing the numerical ridiculousness of a permanent duration (besides with magical healing and/or the heal skill), I am not understanding the argument here.
    I just don't see the need for a fix. It's not broken in my eyes.

Adding a duration would add complexity, but if it was to be done, I'd say something like character levels minutes would work, or maybe a number of minutes equal to the number the target failed the Fortitude save by (minimum one minute).

Other possibilities for thought: 1/4 character levels (which is equal to the damage dealt per round, so it would be simple) minutes; attack roll-using ability modifier minutes (minimum one minute).
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cadian 9th View Post
    Good feats overall, but I think that Power in the Blood is pretty much useless. Prodigal Spellcaster gets you the same thing, pretty much, except it doesn't deal damage to you.

Sneak Attack Focus, does it 1) increase sneak attack or does it 2) add extra damage when you make a sneak attack?

1) This could be lovely to qualify for things earlier. This also lets you get more benefit from ambush feats/abilities...

2) Icky, but nice when combined with the Penetrating Strike ACF (IIRC, That's the name) where you get half sneak attack vs Undead, with +1d6 now. Could also be nice when something negates your sneak attack damage and not the sneak attack itself, for example Warforged Fortification. It's also good if you've got something that converts your sneak attack damage type or using an ambush feat.

I am of the same school of thought, more feats makes it fun to build characters. It also makes certain feats more usable, of course...
    Over the wound feat, this seemed to get missed. Could I get an answer?

Also, on the wound thing, I really don't see the issue. You're dealing 1 dpr to a character until they make a DC 20 heal check or receive a cantrip. Really, if you're a BA +1 class, you've got the full round actions to do that to an opponent, why haven't you killed them (at earlier levels) and at later levels, well, meh much. Dragonshaman's aura clears it up, as does a single point of lay on hands, etc.

I don't see an issue with it, to be honest. Adding a duration would also complicate it, furthermore, it requires a fort save, which is pretty balanced - for comparison, get a totem bind on Bloodtalons, with Expanded soulmeld capacity. That's dealing 3 ongoing damage, no save, stacks and goes on every attack, yes it does only bleed next round yet it still is significantly better.

Retired from active duty

It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.

PEACH

20. - Top - End - #20

Reading the feat twice over, I think it just adds damage on top of your sneak attack damage, so it doesn't let you qualify for prestige classes or feats early.

The intention could be different, however.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Half seem decent. But...

Bleeding Strike: attack bonus tends to scale faster than fort saves, but even if success were automatic that really isn't much damage. Not worth giving up secondary attacks for it. It could at least be a standard action so PCs might do it when they're forced to single attack anyway. OTOH it does keep monsters without healing from running away, as others are pointing out.

Mind over Matter: The DCs for significant healing are so high that it's not worth it during combat. It's only worth it at the end of the day since at an hour between uses you can't even do much between combats... and then a cheap wand of cure light wounds or a cleric with leftover spells makes the feat obsolete.

Stunning Strike: Again, attack bonus scales faster than fort saves. At low levels when you only get 1 attack anyway it's 50:50 and at high levels it's often an automatic stun.

Impossible Shot: Made almost obsolete by rapid shot. If you can attack twice with a 50% miss chance, that's about the same. And if you have additional attacks full attacking is even better.

Thunderstomp: Many things don't put ranks in balance, so a scaling DC means at high levels it's almost automatic success. A flat DC like DC 10 would fix that. Some things would auto-pass but at least everything else would have a 50:50 shot or better.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-12-30 at 11:18 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see an issue with it, to be honest. Adding a duration would also complicate it.
    Adding a duration would add complexity
    Why, exactly, would it complicate the matter? I doubt a DM would really care about dealing a certain amount of damage per round, especially since there isn't a variabalic component. Even if it had infinite duration, they would still have to do this. Past that, what, they have to record how long it lasts? Honestly, I doubt that any DM who didn't care about doing the numbers in the first place would care about having to track a duration, whether it were short or not.

Furthermore, it requires a fort save, which is pretty balanced - for comparison, get a totem bind on Bloodtalons, with Expanded soulmeld capacity. That's dealing 3 ongoing damage, no save, stacks and goes on every attack, yes it does only bleed next round yet it still is significantly better.
    Attack modifiers are pretty easy to increase. Not too easy, but not difficult. Although Fortitude saves tend to be the highest saves among monsters, it scales to be roughly even, lower depending on the monster. Yes, undead and constructs are immune to it; although, really, anyone immune to sneak attacks and critical hits should be immune to it as well, if you think about it. Other than that, considering it is a feat whose power increases with your level, and has no duration limit, I would say that it is pretty damn good.

As for Bloodtalons; that requires a specific class, one that couldn't get this feat anyway. So, any martial character that wants to get that bleed effect? They have to be totemists, and have expand soulmeld capacity (another feat), just to be able to use it. This feat requires only that you have a base attack bonus of +1 at level one. Not even close to the same requirements. Also, putting Essentia into that soulmeld means that you can't put it into others, which might provide needed bonuses.

But if it was to be done, I'd say something like character levels minutes would work, or maybe a number of minutes equal to the number the target failed the Fortitude save by (minimum one minute).
    This wouldn't be a bad way to do it. Character levels in minutes probably works even better, since that way you could calculate the exact damage done if the monster/villain/whatever runs away without having to double check for weird time limits.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

can you cauterize the wound? (talking about bleeding strike)
    MooseyMooseITP

Current Avi: By Dirtytabs.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman123 View Post
    can you cauterize the wound? (talking about bleeding strike)
    With a DC 20 Heal check, yes.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Why, exactly, would it complicate the matter? I doubt a DM would really care about dealing a certain amount of damage per round, especially since there isn't a variabalic component. Even if it had infinite duration, they would still have to do this. Past that, what, they have to record how long it lasts? Honestly, I doubt that any DM who didn't care about doing the numbers in the first place would care about having to track a duration, whether it were short or not.
    It's another duration to keep track off. It doesn't overcomplicate it but it adds extra things for the DM and players to keep track off, and ends up getting forgotten or missed.

Attack modifiers are pretty easy to increase. Not too easy, but not difficult. Although Fortitude saves tend to be the highest saves among monsters, it scales to be roughly even, lower depending on the monster. Yes, undead and constructs are immune to it; although, really, anyone immune to sneak attacks and critical hits should be immune to it as well, if you think about it. Other than that, considering it is a feat whose power increases with your level, and has no duration limit, I would say that it is pretty damn good.
    I think that when it is significant (levels 1-maybe 4) the fort save DC is hit or miss, 50/50, and you have to hit with the attack, and use a full round action. It doesn't strike me as awesome, to be honest. I'd rather be, well, running away, using a maneuver or doing a TWF attack routine, pounce charging, or what have you.

As for Bloodtalons; that requires a specific class, one that couldn't get this feat anyway. So, any martial character that wants to get that bleed effect? They have to be totemists, and have expand soulmeld capacity (another feat), just to be able to use it. This feat requires only that you have a base attack bonus of +1 at level one. Not even close to the same requirements. Also, putting Essentia into that soulmeld means that you can't put it into others, which might provide needed bonuses.
    Actually, anyone can get Blood talons, you need the Chakra Bind for totem to use it that way though. IIRC you can get this with a spell. Regardless, yes, it requires Totemist 2, and you don't need Expanded Soulmeld Capacity to use it. Totem Chakra binds give +1 capacity, regardless.

Putting essentia in Totem Chakra bound Bloodtalons is pretty good, actually. Gives you a +2 bonus on spot checks per point of essentia, and a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls per point of essentia, in addition to the base benefit (Fight while disabled or dying). For 2 essentia, you get +4 on spot checks, +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, and 2 damage bleeding, stacking per hit. For 3 essentia, +6 on spot checks, +3 on attack rolls, and 3 bleed damage.

The good thing about the meld is that you can reallocate the essentia, of course, so you only need to invest the essentia in the meld when you're going to hit something, or need to spot something. The essentia can otherwise be allocated to something else, like, a Wormtail belt, etc.

This wouldn't be a bad way to do it. Character levels in minutes probably works even better, since that way you could calculate the exact damage done if the monster/villain/whatever runs away without having to double check for weird time limits.
    If there was a duration I'd make it per character level, to keep it simple.

Retired from active duty

PEACH

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=Cadian 9th;10070090]It's another duration to keep track off. It doesn't overcomplicate it but it adds extra things for the DM and players to keep track off, and ends up getting forgotten or missed.

[QUOTE=Cadian 9th;10070090]I think that when it is significant (levels 1-maybe 4) the fort save DC is hit or miss, 50/50, and you have to hit with the attack, and use a full round action. It doesn't strike me as awesome, to be honest. I'd rather be, well, running away, using a maneuver or doing a TWF attack routine, pounce charging, or what have you.
    1st off; TWF will net you, at most, 2 attacks at that level range, including the one from straight BAB. One is more likely to fail than the other, but both have a lowered chance. You deal, at best, about 1d6+2 extra damage, if you even have a Strength score that high, and you are using a light weapon that deals 1d6 damage, and if you hit.

You have a base attack bonus of +1, and have any of these options as a melee combatant. Why would you run away, pray tell?

Maneuvers may be useful, but why would you even take this feat if you had options at your disposal that would allow you more/better maneuvers?

Pounce charging will net you... a +2 attack roll bonus. Levels 1-4 means that you have at most 1 attack unless you are dual wielding, which is already a bad option.

So, honestly, considering that this move still deals damage, and has a bleed that lasts forever, I cannot imagine a situation in which I would not use it. At worst, I would charge in, attack, and then on my next turn apply the bleed. Either way, I am not losing a significant amount at that level range, and I might get something better. At a higher level range, you can get an attack roll higher than most monster's fortitude rolls, and then automatically apply the bleed. While still getting an attack.

Actually, anyone can get Blood talons, you need the Chakra Bind for totem to use it that way though. IIRC you can get this with a spell. Regardless, yes, it requires Totemist 2, and you don't need Expanded Soulmeld Capacity to use it. Totem Chakra binds give +1 capacity, regardless.

Putting essentia in Totem Chakra bound Bloodtalons is pretty good, actually. Gives you a +2 bonus on spot checks per point of essentia, and a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls per point of essentia, in addition to the base benefit (Fight while disabled or dying). For 2 essentia, you get +4 on spot checks, +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, and 2 damage bleeding, stacking per hit. For 3 essentia, +6 on spot checks, +3 on attack rolls, and 3 bleed damage.

The good thing about the meld is that you can reallocate the essentia, of course, so you only need to invest the essentia in the meld when you're going to hit something, or need to spot something. The essentia can otherwise be allocated to something else, like, a Wormtail belt, etc.
    ... But you still have to sacrifice base attack bonus, as well as levels in another melee class that might give you as much for your levels (especially if ToB is allowed; even if not, there are a few classes that I would consider over Totemist). Spot is marginally useful in combat, the attack roll bonus is nice, but the thing is, that is 3 bleed damage. On the next round. So, you get an extra 3 damage with every melee attack. Big whoop. In fact, if you have more than 3 attacks (which you should if you are a melee character, let's face it), you are probably better off just full attacking. Actually, now that I read the description, it isn't that great. The damage only applies if you hit with the talons, which are 1d4 damage. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the blood loss. This feat is strictly better than the bleed from a class feature you had to spend 2 levels to get.

Also; as a totemist, you only have 2 Essentia at that level. Unless you went to level 3 to get another point, or got an Incarnum feat, it isn't really that great.

If there was a duration I'd make it per character level, to keep it simple.
    That is what I just said, so... I guess we are in agreement.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw a scenario where every character always start up with an extra feat usable for the "regional feat", and it works fine.
    Regional Feats are from Forgotten Realms, you could take a look there for inspiration. They usually are something you pick by living all your young life in a given region and/or a race/inherited trait based on the species in the local, rather than something you'd get with just training.

As it was said, most of these sounds like they could be learned later in life, but the idea is good.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post

These are only the beginning, and I specifically left the fluff off of them, since I was more curious about the mechanical concerns than anything else. I can (and have) easily fluffed them for level 1 one. Still, coming from you, "great job" means a lot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Jester View Post
    I like this idea, although I would also open it to some racial feats that require first level (Dragonwrought Kobold, the Warforged body feats, and maybe the heritage feats for Sorcerers).
    I agree. There will be a lot of converted feats (though Dragonwrought is banned in my games, and I don't use Warforged in the setting these are destined for, but the concept is sound). There's a decent mount of feats that could be converted here, and I plan to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    I'vebeen using a similar kindif feat in my MV game for a while...

I've always used the Iron Heroes name: Traits... catchier

I'll post some of them if you'd like, though they're generally not designed with high magic in mind o i'm not sure how they'll integrate...

edit: typing awful, sick in bed
    Actually, I picked a better name too: Quirks. Each character gets a single Quirk at their option (not required, but recommended).

I think 1d2 rounds would work better. Once you get multiple attacks per round, your full attack may well be better than this. Still, as is, it's fairly decent.
    It's an early game buff, as was intended.

This is pretty good early on, but later, it becomes far less valuable, as instead of doing double your sneak attack damage, you're getting one fifth, or one eighth, or one tenth. It works a little better with skirmish, but maybe a scaling bonus is in order.
    See above.

This could be a fairly useful out-of-combat healing source. That Concentration check is going to be a fairly high-DC check, though, so you'll have to be careful not to fail.
    Mind Over Matter was meant for two things. First, to give Concentration a more universal use (flavored with the idea of "you can focus so hard, you can control your body's health"). Second, to provide a decent healing source to the self-sufficient non-caster.

Also, do you lose the healing you wanted to call upon if you fail the check? Right now, I assume the answer is "No."
    You assume correctly.

I like it. It's like Improved Precise Shot, but it goes around total cover, as well. If I had done this feat, I'd have made it so you could use this feat once per round as part of an attack (with the daily limits still included). Then it would be better than Improved Precise Shot for one attack per round.
    Perhaps worth doing. Thoughts on this?

I'd lower the Strength requirement to 15+ or 17+, simply because I'd like a dwarf to have this.
    Hmm. Perhaps.

The DC is fairly low, but at the same time, almost nothing takes Balance, so it should be okay.
    That was the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    Sight Beyond Sight is very similar to Blind-Fight, but does not give as many benefits, and has the added pre-requisite of 1st level only, where Blind-Fight is pre-req free and is a pre-req for more powerful feats (pierce magical concealment)

Otherwise, it looks pretty solid. I especially like the sneak attack focus one, since I mainly play rogues
    Good thought, actually. I'll say that Sight Beyond Sight can permit you to qualify for anything that uses Blind-Sight.

Do remember though, that Sight Beyond Sight can be acquired basically for free at level 1, whereas Blind-Fight takes a normal feat slot. This is a balancing mechanism of sorts.

I... can't find that feat. Care to tell me the source?

Adds, not increases. This was done to avoid using it for qualifications for PrCs and whatnot.

Indeed.

It's... 1 damage. No, seriously, at level 1, it is 1 damage. Yes, it persists forever, but it's A) supernatural, B) has multiple methods to stop, C) requires a saving throw, and D) doesn't actually compare to just SMACKING AND KILLING THEM.

Also, here's a fun note: Heal can be used untrained, and can be used on yourself (no note saying you can't, ergo you ca). High Wis creatures, of which there are many, can roll well and be totally fine. There's so much healing in the game that, on average, this is going to last for perhaps 5 rounds before the creature either dies (from being smacked with sharp metal objects some more) or is healed up just fine.

I see no reason for a duration, for lots of reasons already spelled out below. Of course, if you in your games wish to add one, hey, that's great. I'm just happy it's being used.

Personally, Bleeding Strike has so many limitations and restrictions (which I added ENTIRELY ON PURPOSE to balance the piddling amount of damage out with) I feel it's a fine feat, and through the entire firestorm below I saw nothing to change my mind about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Bleeding Strike: attack bonus tends to scale faster than fort saves, but even if success were automatic that really isn't much damage. Not worth giving up secondary attacks for it. It could at least be a standard action so PCs might do it when they're forced to single attack anyway. OTOH it does keep monsters without healing from running away, as others are pointing out.
    It, like the others here, was designed as an early-game ability, not a late-game one. It's also a functionally free ability, so it should be fairly weak.

Mind over Matter: The DCs for significant healing are so high that it's not worth it during combat. It's only worth it at the end of the day since at an hour between uses you can't even do much between combats... and then a cheap wand of cure light wounds or a cleric with leftover spells makes the feat obsolete.
    Was meant to patch up between combats.

Stunning Strike: Again, attack bonus scales faster than fort saves. At low levels when you only get 1 attack anyway it's 50:50 and at high levels it's often an automatic stun.
    Ok, so? Lots of stuff is immune to stunning at high levels, so that's fine.

Impossible Shot: Made almost obsolete by rapid shot. If you can attack twice with a 50% miss chance, that's about the same. And if you have additional attacks full attacking is even better.
    I don't agree about Rapid Shot, and think it was made clear above. I have an idea about this feat though, and may change it shortly.

Thunderstomp: Many things don't put ranks in balance, so a scaling DC means at high levels it's almost automatic success. A flat DC like DC 10 would fix that. Some things would auto-pass but at least everything else would have a 50:50 shot or better.
    It's also a low check, so anything with decent to high Dex stands a very nice shot of succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    I saw a scenario where every character always start up with an extra feat usable for the "regional feat", and it works fine.
    Regional Feats are from Forgotten Realms, you could take a look there for inspiration. They usually are something you pick by living all your young life in a given region and/or a race/inherited trait based on the species in the local, rather than something you'd get with just training.
    Actually, these are separate from Regional Feats, and I'll tell you why. See, these are designed to be used in my personal campaign setting (see sig). I already have regional feat examples there. What used to be Regional Feats in 3.5 are now Quirks in Z-R, since Regional Feats in Z-R are quite different.

A character in Z-R has the following feats at level 1:
    -Your standard feat slot at level 1.
    -Your Quirk (this thread, technically optional, usually low power, high flavor).
    -Your Regional Feat (not optional, also not in this thread).
    -Anything else you manage to scrape together (due to class/race/bribing the DM ).

As it was said, most of these sounds like they could be learned later in life, but the idea is good.
    This was a failure to be clear on my part.

I'll do some OP clarification and perhaps adding of more feats/changing a few around some in a bit. Have a few errands to do, and a party to attend this evening. Thanks again for the feedback, and keep it coming. I always appreciate feedback (especially things like the Bleeding Strike discussion).

Also, if anyone has an idea for a feat in the vein of Bleeding/Stunning Strike, but for piercing weapons, could you throw it out there for me? I've been running into a roadblock with that one.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: [3.5] Quirks (Level 1 Feats) (PEACH)

Impossible shot bypass total cover right? Better make it explicit because it seems to me books and people are kinda unclear sometimes whether or it includes total cover/concealment or not when they mention 'all cover and concealment'

Love the idea of this 1st level feats.
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-12-31 at 12:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

30. - Top - End - #30

Actually, I picked a better name too: Quirks. Each character gets a single Quirk at their option (not required, but recommended).
    Oh. That's a new rule and a better name. Excellent.
    Homebrew