New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: More Dinosaurs than Isla Nublar (okay, not really, PEACH)

Here is the Masiakasaurus, an animal whose fossils were found in Madagascar. Its most interesting feature would have to be the fact that its two bottom front teeth stick out of its mouth in a horizontal fashion.

Anyways, up next I will be doing Pachycephalosaurus or Microceratops (as a familiar, too!). Any preferences? Also, five more Dinosaurs and there will be more dinosaurs, and there really will be more Dinosaurs than in Isla Nublar. One more, and we will have more Dinosaurs than in Isla Sorna (if you only count the novels, anyway).

Masiakasaurus
    Small Animal
    Hit Dice:
    3d8+6 (19 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+3 natural, +4 Dex, +1 size), touch 15, flatfooted 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-1
    Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d4+2 damage)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +4 melee (1d4+2 damage), and Bite -1 melee (1d6 damage)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Powerful Charge
    Special Qualities: Lowlight Vision, scent
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 6
    Skills: Swim +10
    Feats: Athletic, Endurance
    Environment: Warm plains
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-6)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Advancement: 4-6 HD (Small), 7-12 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment: -----

A small, Halfling-sized carnivore surfaces from beneath the water. It appears much like a raptor, except its two front bottom teeth protrude horizontally.

Masiakasaurus (“vicious lizard”) is a small predator that lives in tropical savannas. It spends most of its time swimming in shallow rivers. Despite its fearsome appearance (its teeth are serrated and all point outwards), its teeth are delicate tools inefficient in combat (especially the two front teeth), used to catch fish and other tiny aquatic creatures. Masiakasaurs do occasionally hunt larger prey, but only in groups.

Combat
    Masiakasaurs rarely engage in combat with larger foes, but when they do, they lie in wait in the shallowest parts of their rivers, waiting for prey to come and take a drink. They charge (carefully, so as not to damage their front teeth) and swarm their enemies.

Powerful Charge (Ex): A Masiakasaurus can begin combat by piercing an enemy with its front teeth. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the Masiakasaurus to make a gore attack with a +4 attack bonus that deals 3d4 points of damage (a Masiakasaurus is treated as being proficient with their bite in this case).

Skills: Masiakasaurs have a +4 bonus to Swim checks.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-03-17 at 08:31 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Me likee :D
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Glad to here. Currently, I am leaning towards Microceratus as the next creature (turns out Microceratops had a change of name three years ago and I didn't realize it ), is there anything specific you want? Without any requests (besides the ones already given), the current list of dinos to be made are:

Microceratus
    Pachycephalosaurus
    Microraptor
    Epidendrosaurus
    Pyrorapter
    Pyroraptor, Elemental Fire creature (because I like dumb humor )
    Amargasaurus
    Tuojiangosaurus
    Kosmoceratops

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Azuvidexus, the Hunger Awaiting Form
    Vestige Level: 7
    Binding DC: 32
    Special Requirement: Yes

Legend: Roughly six hundred years ago, the world was a much happier place. It wasn't tainted with the primordial evil known as the Crawling Jungle. The plague was confined to the outer planes, in the Infinite Layers of the Abyss. There, it was known as N'gharl, and it was ruled by three fearsome 'gloths (semi-undead demons, similar to Orcus). One ruled the seas, the second ruled the skies, and the third and final (the most powerful of the three) ruled the jungles of the abyssal layer.

For millions of years, they lived in their personal section of chaos, with all forms of lesser demons and fiendish reptiles. The most powerful one, the Spinogloth Azuvidexus, became a feared leader that challenge even Demogorgon himself. He and his two allies constantly raided Gaping Maw, destroying Demogorgon's tinkerings and slaughtering his allies. Demogorgon was smart, however, and he came up with a plan. He murdered a beloved Demigod of an ancient pantheon, and secretly met with the leader and told him that Azuvidexus had done it.

Angered, they marched to his layer, and ripped it out of the Abyss. They compressed it into an artifact the size of a human head, called the N'gharl Seed. The deities tossed the seed (along all the demons imprisoned in it) into the Astral Plane. This caused a chain reaction that resulted in the Abyss killing the entire pantheon, and using their bodies to create the Dreaming Gulf. Their dead thoughts became the Loumara demons.

The N'gharl Seed drifted across the Astral Plane for a short time, before finally reaching the Material Plane about six hundred years ago. Here, it landed on an isolated island. A wandering Tyrannosaurus Rex, driven to insanity by a rot worm infection in the brain, mistook the seed as prey and bit it. The abyssal energy exploded, and a lesser version of N'gharl (roughly 10 miles on diameter) sprung to life, consuming the enter southern half of the island. All the demons broke free. All but one. As a fail safe, the gods had made it so that if the Seed was to ever brake, his power who flow out of his body. Since the Tyrannosaur bit it, the power was infused into it, and the original Azuvidexus was powerless. Now, he is a vestige, scheming to reclaim his power and lead to the ultimate defeat of what he perceives as his impersonator.

Special Requirement: Those who wish to bind Azuvidexus must not be affiliated with Demogorgon in any way, and must not have been possessed by a Loumara demon in the past week.
    Manifestation: The image of the spinosaurus fossil drawn as the seal springs to life. It's shadow appears on the wall. When speaking to the binder, the roaring voice comes from the constantly moving mouth of the shadowy image.
    Sign: Dead growths appear in a straight line on the binder's back, making the spine seem elongated.
    Influence: People bound to Azuvidexus are always hungry, and they must eat when ever given the opportunity to. Azuvidexus' hatred of Demogorgon seeps into the bodies of those bound to him. Binders must attack creatures affiliated to Demogorgon within five rounds of learning said affiliation, and must always deal lethal damage to them.
    Granted Abilities: When bound to Azuvidexus, you gain the powers of the mighty Obyrith from N'gharl.

Form of Madness (Su): Anyone within 100 ft. of the Binder must make a Will save (10 + 1/2 Binder level + Binder's charisma modifier), or become terrified of all reptiles (this includes the binder, whether he is truly reptilian or not, as long as he is bound to Azuvidexus). This is a mind-affecting ability that does not affect evil outsiders. A successful save makes the target immune to the binder's form of madness for 24 hours. If the target fails, they become panicked when coming within 100 ft. of a reptile. If they are aware of any reptile in the area, they will not willingly move towards it.

Scent (Su): Once every five rounds, the binder can sniff the surrounding area using Azuvidexus' supernatural senses. This ability works like the common Scent extraordinary ability.

Command Animal (Su): This ability functions like the dominate animal spell, except it only works on reptiles and may be used on fiendish reptiles, even though they are magical beasts. Will save DC is Charisma based. It is usable every five rounds.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-02-23 at 11:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Ive never done more than a few vestiges, so I'm kinda on foreign ground here myself. The abilities look kewl tho, and I eagerly await backstory
    Last edited by Bhu; 2011-01-16 at 03:46 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Azuvidexus Vestige is pretty much done. I'll see if I can get anything else done within the next two hours, but if not, don't expect anything within the next two days.

Anyway, my attempts at making the tablet-symbol thingie have failed miserably. Does anyone know a someone good at making these things?

I wanted to put the spinosaurus fossil from the JP III logo in the symbol area.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I caant find anything other than the basic pic you have. I'm assuming even wizards took that base pic and just altered it via photoshop or something similar for each different vestige.
    Orcs and Goblins

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

The Miquot is a nice touch, LOTRfan.
    Ut Abyssus per orbis terrarum.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

I made these stats for the campaign that I was previously running, which featured lizardfolk living among mostly Late Cretaceous dinosaurs.

TITANOSAUR
    Huge Animal
    Hit Dice: 17d8+170 (246 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 30 ft.
    AC: 26 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +19 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 26
    Attack: Stomp +22 melee (2d8+10) or tail slap +22 melee (3d8+15)
    Full Attack: 2 stomps+22 melee (2d8+10) and tail slap +17 melee (3d8+7)
    Special Attacks: Trample (2d12+15) (DC 30)
    Special Abilities: Low-light vision, Scent
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with tail slap)
    Saves: Fort +20, Ref +9, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 9, Con 30, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 5
    Skills: Listen +13, Spot +12
    Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Improved Natural Attack (Stomp, tail slap), Improved Natural Armor (2)
    Environment: Temperate and warm plains and forests
    Organization: Solitary, pair, group (3-5), or herd (up to 20 adults with up to five adolescents)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Advancement: 18-20 (Huge), 21-25 (Gargantuan)
    The earth seems to shake as a massive creature comes into view. Its small head, held high upon a very long neck, precedes its heavily-built body, mounted on four pillar-like legs. A layer of pebbly armor covers its back, while the rest of it is covered in smaller scales. Its long, powerful tail is held off the ground and swishes from side to side as it walks.

Titanosaurs are large herd animals that feed on plants, using their long necks to reach high into trees or into any hard-to-reach areas. The long neck also gives a titanosaur a wide view when watching for predators. Many eggs are laid at one time, and these are covered by a layer of sand and abandoned. The young are on their own until they reach at least Medium size, at which time they will be adopted into whatever herd is nearest. These statistics can describe any sauropod of similar size, including Saltasaurus, Alamosaurus, Cetiosaurus, and Camarasaurus. (note: If it isn't an actual titanosaur, change Improved Natural Armor to a different set of feats)

Combat: Titanosaurs are not inherently violent, though they will readily attack anything they perceive as a threat to themselves or their herd. Typically, a titanosaur will rear up on its hind legs and slam the attacker with its forelegs, while the heavy tail is also used in defense.
    Trample (Ex): As in SRD, 2d12+15 damage, Reflex DC 30 half
    Last edited by Dire Moose; 2011-01-17 at 06:46 PM.
    LGBTitp

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blynkibrax View Post
    The Miquot is a nice touch, LOTRfan.
    Thanks. Kulak was, in my opinion, the coolest demon shown in Season 3, and I was so depressed when he blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    I made these stats for the campaign that I was previously running, which featured lizardfolk living among mostly Late Cretaceous dinosaurs.

TITANOSAUR
    Huge Animal
    Hit Dice: 17d8+170 (246 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    AC: 26 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +19 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 26
    Attack: Stomp +22 melee (2d8+10) or tail slap +22 melee (3d8+15)
    Full Attack: 2 stomps+22 melee (2d8+10) and tail slap +17 melee (3d8+7)
    Special Attacks: Trample (2d12+15) (DC 30)
    Special Abilities: Low-light vision, Scent
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with tail slap)
    Saves: Fort +20, Ref +9, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 9, Con 30, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 5
    Skills: Listen +13, Spot +12
    Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Improved Natural Attack (Stomp, tail slap), Improved Natural Armor (2)
    Environment: Temperate and warm plains and forests
    Organization: Solitary, pair, group (3-5), or herd (up to 20 adults with up to five adolescents)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Advancement: 18-20 (Huge), 21-25 (Gargantuan)
    The earth seems to shake as a massive creature comes into view. Its small head, held high upon a very long neck, precedes its heavily-built body, mounted on four pillar-like legs. A layer of pebbly armor covers its back, while the rest of it is covered in smaller scales. Its long, powerful tail is held off the ground and swishes from side to side as it walks.

Titanosaurs are large herd animals that feed on plants, using their long necks to reach high into trees or into any hard-to-reach areas. The long neck also gives a titanosaur a wide view when watching for predators. Many eggs are laid at one time, and these are covered by a layer of sand and abandoned. The young are on their own until they reach at least Medium size, at which time they will be adopted into whatever herd is nearest. These statistics can describe any sauropod of similar size, including Saltasaurus, Alamosaurus, Cetiosaurus, and Camarasaurus. (note: If it isn't an actual titanosaur, change Improved Natural Armor to a different set of feats)

Combat: Titanosaurs are not inherently violent, though they will readily attack anything they perceive as a threat to themselves or their herd. Typically, a titanosaur will rear up on its hind legs and slam the attacker with its forelegs, while the heavy tail is also used in defense.
    Trample (Ex): As in SRD, 2d12+15 damage, Reflex DC 30 half
    Awesome, glad to see someone else's homebrew. I'll be adding it to the list of dinosaurs in the first post, if that is alright with you.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Thanks. Kulak was, in my opinion, the coolest demon shown in Season 3, and I was so depressed when he blew up.
    I dropped in and out of Buffy, so my knowledge of the show's a little spotty: did the Miquot clan not make any other appearances? I seem to recall that in the Buffy RPG Monster book, there were rules for them as playable characters!
    Ut Abyssus per orbis terrarum.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blynkibrax View Post
    I dropped in and out of Buffy, so my knowledge of the show's a little spotty: did the Miquot clan not make any other appearances? I seem to recall that in the Buffy RPG Monster book, there were rules for them as playable characters!
    There were? If only that was d20 compatible!

Unfortunately, they did not make any other appearances in BtVS, but it's glad to know I'm not the only one who found them memorable.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Awesome, glad to see someone else's homebrew. I'll be adding it to the list of dinosaurs in the first post, if that is alright with you.
    Sure, sounds good to me.
    LGBTitp

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...saur_Menagerie

If you want a bunch of premade dinos LoTR, here's a thread I used to be in.
    Orcs and Goblins

15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground

There was a thread on EN world for a while:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/homebre...r-ecology.html

There's been a few threads here on GitP as well- but sometimes they ended up derailing into a discussion of size

(should the 1.5 ft at the hip, 33 pound Velociraptor be Small or Medium, should the 3 ft at the hip 160 pound Deinonychus be Medium or Large, should the 13 ft at the hip, 8 ton Tyrannosaurus be Huge or Gargantuan, etc.)

Hopefully this time it won't derail.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2011-01-18 at 06:15 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

AH, the size debate. Hope it doesn't happen here. Funny that you mention it, though, as I was afraid it might happen to the creature I am posting now.

Microceratus
    Diminutive Animal
    Hit Dice: 1/2d8 (2 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 21 (+1 natural, +5 Dex, +4 size, +1 Dodge), touch 20, flatfooted 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-14
    Attack: Gore -3 melee (1d2-2 damage)
    Full Attack: Gore -3 melee (1d2-2 damage)
    Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: -----
    Special Qualities: Lowlight Vision, scent
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 6, Dex 21, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Skills: Hide +21
    Feats: Dodge
    Environment: Warm deserts
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-6)
    Challenge Rating: 1/4
    Advancement: 1 HD (Diminutive); 2 HD (Tiny)

A tiny lizard scurries by in the desert heat. It has a small frill surrounding its neck, and a parrot-like beak.

Microceratus are tiny ceratopsians roughly 7 inches tall. They are more or less harmless, merely running from one patch of ferns to the next. They live in the deserts of the world, avoiding large predators. Most Microcertus even avoid other herbivores, as their small size makes them easy to unwittingly crush. They are a favored prey for most desert dwellers, as they cannot truly defend themselves, but only the most skilled hunters can take down these speedy creatures.

Combat
    Microceratus tend to flee combat, relying on their reflexes and small size to avoid attacks.

As Familiars
    Microceratus make speedy familiars, and they grant their masters a 5 ft. increase to their base speed.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-18 at 06:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Two feet long is the figure Wikipedia gives- but it doesn't list height.

In MM3, the members of a Needletooth Swarm (basically, mini versions of the compsognathus from Jurassic Park) are 1 ft tall and 2 pounds in weight, and Tiny

(which is fairly reasonable for a Tiny biped in MM- the size table has Tiny as starting at 1 ft tall and 1 lb in weight, and going up to 2 ft tall and 8lb.)

So, if these creatures are smaller than standard Tiny creatures in both height and weight, a Diminuitive size is quite reasonable.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Two feet long is the figure Wikipedia gives- but it doesn't list height.

In MM3, the members of a Needletooth Swarm (basically, mini versions of the compsognathus from Jurassic Park) are 1 ft tall and 2 pounds in weight, and Tiny

(which is fairly reasonable for a Tiny biped in MM- the size table has Tiny as starting at 1 ft tall and 1 lb in weight, and going up to 2 ft tall and 8lb.)

So, if these creatures are smaller than standard Tiny creatures in both height and weight, a Diminuitive size is quite reasonable.
    Yeah, my reasoning were that they are bipeds and 20 cm tall. I figured that to be around 8 inches. I can't find the weight, though.

19. - Top - End - #49

The picture seems to make its hip height around half its nose-to-tail length- which would put it at 12 inches tall at the hip, and taller at the nose if it rears back.

However, the picture may be misleading.

Or, if it never rears back, and legs are always bent, it may be shorter than this estimate.

Dino weights tend to be very speculative. Oftentimes, they end up being revised based on newer information and more plausible layouts of muscles and organs.

Maybe compare it to other Diminuitive and Tiny animals (thrushes are Diminuitive, but ravens, and cats, are Tiny) and see if you think it's closer to one than the other?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2011-01-18 at 06:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

If I may make a suggestion...

I've seen casts of the Zuniceratops material, and it's closer to Medium than Large size. If you want a Large ceratopsian with long brow horns, I'd suggest Chasmosaurus myself.
    LGBTitp

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    If I may make a suggestion...

I've seen casts of the Zuniceratops material, and it's closer to Medium than Large size. If you want a Large ceratopsian with long brow horns, I'd suggest Chasmosaurus myself.
    Really?

It's just that the average length is 3-3.5 meters, and wouldn't that be on the large side of the sizing categories?

I'll have to do more research on that, perhaps the site I go to isn't as a reliable source as I thought. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Size wise its large, but its estimated weight was only 200-250 lbs so you could go either way.
    Orcs and Goblins

23. - Top - End - #53

15 ft long would not be too problematic for a Medium creature- it could smack everything within 5 ft of its Space with its tail, bite or butt everything within 5 ft of its Space with its head- and (if low and light) still work out.

A donkey is Medium. Stood next to a donkey, with its four feet roughly where the donkey's hooves are when seen from the side, would the ceratopsian's head project significantly further forward than a donkey's head would if the donkey's neck was at full stretch?

And would it's back be significantly higher?

(Also, I think Protoceratops is Medium in Sandstorm, despite its high weight- and may be comparable).

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Does this image help the decision at all?

Yeah, I think I may change the stats to fit those of a medium creature.

I am thinking of leaving my current dino plan for a while to create Muttaburrasaurus, a unique dinosaur that may have had a hollow muzzle, having two air-bubbles were the nostrils should be.

25. - Top - End - #55

Speaking of ceratopsians, I would use a fairly simple formula for creating a centrosaurine (e.g. Monoclonius, Centrosaurus, Styracosaurus, anything with a long nose horn):

Take a Rhinoceros, increase its Gore base damage by one size category (centrosaurines have longer horns than your average rhino) and give it +3 to its natural armor bonus (for the frill and scales). Most centrosaurines are about the same size as rhinos, so there shouldn't be a problem.
    LGBTitp

26. - Top - End - #56

Thing is, D&D Rhinos are Large, but the biggest real rhinos (White Rhino, Great Indian Rhino) are heavy enough (over 4000 pounds), and possibly long enough from nose to base of tail (16 ft) to fit into the Huge category.

So the larger centrosaurines might be closer to Huge (advanced) rhinos.

Aside from that, yes, the rhino might be a good place to start when statting them out.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I dont think nailing the exactly perfect size catagory for each and every one of these is going to be the key that will make or break this project. LOTRFan, just go with what seems most appropriate, and if anyone doesnt think its right, they have the books to increase or decrease the size themselves.
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #58

True- generic descriptions "Large Centrosaurine" "Huge Centrosaurine" might help avoid such issues, though.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, sorry it took so long for me to post. I wanted to come up with a cool ability for the Muttaburrasaurus' trumpeting calls. I spent some time researching, and I learned that some animals (such as Elephants and possibly Parasaurolophus) could actually scramble the brainwaves of attackers by using extremely low-frequency noises. Unfortunately, neither animals have this ability in their D&D statistics, so I made it a feat.

Muttaburrasaurus
    Huge Animal
    Hit Dice: 9d8+18 (58 hp)
    Initiative: -2
    Armor Class: 18 (+12 natural, -2 Size, -2 Dex), touch 6, Flatfooted 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+22
    Attack: Stamp +16 melee (2d6+8 damage)
    Full Attack: 2 Stamps +16 melee (2d6+8 damage)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Trample
    Special Qualities: Lowlight vision, Darkvision 60 ft., scent
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 26, Dex 7, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 6
    Skills: Listen +11, Hide -10
    Feats: Trumpeting Defense, Crush*, Improved Scent*, Stamp*
    Environment: Temperate Plains
    Organization: Solitary or herd (6-20)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 10-18 HD (Huge); 19-27 HD (Gargantuan)
    *Savage Species

A huge reptilian creature lumbers forward on two legs. It noisily gets up on two legs and clumsily eats the leaves of the tall trees. Flaps of skin on their nose expand as it makes several loud noises.

Muttaburrasaurs are bizarre creatures that seem to be a mash of many creatures. While obligate herbivores, Muttaburrasaurs have been known to trample and consume smaller animals when desperate. While usually walking on four legs, Muttaburrasaurs often pick up their forelegs to run in a bipedal manner. Despite these odd seeming-contradictions, the Muttaburrasaurus is best known for its odd nose. The nose has two flaps of skin over the nostrils that seem to inflate when breathing outward. This creates a trumpeting noise that can be heard from over a mile away, and allows herd members to keep track of each other’s locations. Muttaburrasaurs are adapted to live in cool weather, and can thrive in places where the sun doesn’t shine for weeks at a time.

Combat
    Despite their awkward appearance, Muttaburrasaurs are more than capable of fighting off larger foes. Many use their stamp ability to make their foes fall over before pinning them down to crush them.

Trample (Ex): As a full round action, a Muttaburrasaurus may move at twice its speed and literally run over any creature in its path. Any creature that has all its squares ran over by the Muttaburrasaurus must make a Reflex save (DC 22), or take 2d6+12 damage. DC is strength based.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trumpeting Defense [Monstrous]
    Creatures with inborn sonic ability may, when working with others of their kind, use it to defend themselves.
    Prerequisites: Animal Vermin or Magical Beast type, ability to produce extremely loud sounds.
    Benefits: When a creature with this feat is adjacent to others of its kind, they all may use their trumpeting sounds as a full round action. All creatures within 30 ft. must make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ creature’s HD + number of others participating), or take 1d4 points of nonlethal sonic damage (add an extra die for every member after the first two; 3 working together would cause 2d4 damage, for example) and be dazed for 1d4 rounds as they recollect themselves.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-22 at 02:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothronychus
    Huge Animal
    Hit Dice:
    12d8+36 (90 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 13 (+3 natural, -2 size, +1 Dex, +1 Dodge), touch 10, flat footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+23
    Attack: Claw +15 melee (2d8+6 damage)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +15 melee (2d8+6 damage)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Knockback
    Special Qualities: Lowlight vision, scent
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 23, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 18, Cha 1
    Skills: Listen +6, Spot +21
    Feats: Power Attack, Dodge, Alertness, Cleave, Great Cleave
    Environment: Warm forests
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Advancement: 13-24 HD (Huge), 25-36 HD (Gargantuan)

A huge, potbellied creature lumbers from behind a bushel of trees. It is covered in feathers, which is a combination of gray and brown. Razor sharp claws line their hands.

Nothronychus is an enigma. Despite its rather awkward appearance, Nothronychus is a dangerous combatant. It has razor sharp claws capable of flaying a human alive, yet it is a herbivore. It is a docile creature, but when attacked is capable of taking down a full pack of Deinonychus. Nothronychus is descended from carnivores, that slowly evolved into omnivores and, finally, herbivores like Nothronychus. Its very appearance is known to confuse other animals, who can't quite figure out if Nothronychus is predator or prey.

Combat
    Nothronychus rarely enters combat, but when it does, it slaughters its enemies without remorse. Even the most intimidating predators hesitate to attack this massive beast.

Knockback (Ex): When Nothronychus hits a target at least two size categories smaller than itself with its claw attack, it may shove the target back 1d3 x 5 feet. If this causes the target to collide with another creature, both take 1d6 damage.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-25 at 10:31 AM.