New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default 'Twinned' Weapon Quality: Making TWF Not Make the Treasury Cry [3.5 Item]

Twinned Weapon
    This quality may be applied to any masterwork weapon, as long as you are capable of wielding a second. If you do, then you may purchase a second copy of the weapon, with all the same enchantments, abilities and stastics, but costing only half of it's total price.

These weapons are intended to be wielded together, and as such suffer a -2 penalty on top of all others when used singly, or with any other weapon.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2010-08-28 at 04:39 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 'Twinned' Weapon Quality: Making TWF Not Make the Treasury Cry [3.5 Item]

It's weird that having one really nice weapon makes merchants suddenly sell a weapon to you for half price...
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 'Twinned' Weapon Quality: Making TWF Not Make the Treasury Cry [3.5 Item]

I made this a houserule to make TWF more affordable.

-You can get two weapons at the same cost as getting one (excludes base costs but includes masterwork costs and magical enhancement).
    -They must be enchanted evenly.
    -If used in tandem they act as normal weapons, but if they aren't they become normal or masterwork, whichever is lower, and you take a -2 penalty whole using the single weapon.

So basically you forge them to work in sync, rather than getting a second one for free.

Works out cheaper than yours, but as I said mine was to make TWFighters more economically viable.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-08-28 at 03:39 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It was the cleanest way mechanically. What it represents is buying two weapons at once made to work with each other.

Whoops, ninja.
    Uh. Did you typo in that first line? You can get two for the same price as getting two? Doesn't seem to make sense. DXD
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2010-08-28 at 03:40 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I would consider dropping the +1 bonus, and say "WIELDED together" so that you aren't additionally gimped when making standard action attacks with one of a pair of weapons. Other than that and finding a less awkward wording this looks very good.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think I remember a friend telling me about an enhancement somewhere... I posted a thread in the RPG board but it fell off.

I think it was something like this:
    Twinned +1 Weapon Enhancement:
    When you wield this weapon, a second, identical weapon with all of the same properties (enhancements, and materials) appears in your other hand. Can only be applied to One-Handed or Light Weapons.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you're looking to make TWF cost less an idea might be to make it that one-handed weapons only cost half as much to enchant (E.G 1000 gp for a +1 weapon).

This means that someone buying an enchanted...
    • One-handed weapon and shield
    • Two One-handed weapons
    • A two-handed weapon

...all cost the same to enchant. Plus, in my opinion, it makes enchanting weapons a little more realistic (seems a little off that applying magical properties to a small dagger costs as much as applying the same properties to a golaith greatsword.)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Nero24200 View Post
    If you're looking to make TWF cost less an idea might be to make it that one-handed weapons only cost half as much to enchant (E.G 1000 gp for a +1 weapon).

This means that someone buying an enchanted...
    • One-handed weapon and shield
    • A two-handed weapon

...all cost the same to enchant.
    That is a very good point, and I think I will begin implementing that in my games, in the future.
    My games:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    That is a very good point, and I think I will begin implementing that in my games, in the future.
    What about Bastard Swords? Do you get a discount for beig able to use them 1 handed?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    What about Bastard Swords? Do you get a discount for beig able to use them 1 handed?
    No, you just use Sun Swords instead. Bastard swords, but count as short swords whenever beneficial (if you are good aligned, anyway). They are my favorite TWF weapons.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    What about Bastard Swords? Do you get a discount for being able to use them 1 handed?
    Bastard Swords don't exist, I don't know what you're talking about. We don't take kindly to your kind 'round here.
    My games:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    Bastard Swords don't exist, I don't know what you're talking about. We don't take kindly to your kind 'round here.
    Katanas deserve better. Much, much better.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Katanas deserve better. Much, much better.
    Oh God what have I done

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Heh.
    Unleashed a monster?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

biggrin Re: 'Twinned' Weapon Quality: Making TWF Not Make the Treasury Cry [3.5 Item]

NOOOO!!!!
    why would you do such a thing
    think of the children

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

So...let me try and get this straight; you're blowing a +1 to get two of the same masterwork weapon for the price of one?

That's a good one, that's...that's great. By the time you could get a +1 masterwork finesse-able weapon, you can afford another one; why is this important?
    Last edited by DrWeird; 2010-08-28 at 05:58 PM.
    Et tu, Brute?

My home-brewed bootleg Homebrew

I tried to be reasonable and nice; but everybody wouldn't quit trying to turn every spellcaster into a Tier 1.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

For the price of one and a half.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

My point is, is it really worth that 1/2 weapon cost reduction? Maybe it's just me who'd prefer the +1. In any case, maybe a twinned weapon should have some special attunement; say, unless you'd lose both, you can't be disarmed.
    Last edited by DrWeird; 2010-08-28 at 06:02 PM.
    Et tu, Brute?

I tried to be reasonable and nice; but everybody wouldn't quit trying to turn every spellcaster into a Tier 1.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'm confused.
    What +1?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Katanas are just swords. They weren't even the main weapon of the Samurai in the Shogun period...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

The fact that you could either have a +1 or a Twinning effect; the outlining that a special quality opposes a +1 in equivalency, unless I've been misinformed that it's an equivalent tradeoff - in certain cases. Admittedly, it's not perfect, but that's how I've been told that a +4 longsword and a +3 ghost touch longsword could be found in the same treasure chest. Of course, that might have been a house condition my Uncle made.

My first point was, maybe Twinning should have some additional benefit.
    Last edited by DrWeird; 2010-08-28 at 06:09 PM.
    Et tu, Brute?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Not always. This doesn't have a cost, beside that of the two weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Waargh! View Post
    Katanas are just swords. They weren't even the main weapon of the Samurai in the Shogun period...
    And... the internet doesn't care in the slightest. 'KatanasAreJustCooller.'

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

That reminds me; was that little short sword and 'slightly-littler-than-a-katana' sword they carried ever statted?

Also, what do you think about granting another benefit to Twinning, like I suggested a few posts above? While +1 arguments aside, Twinning seems a bit weak in the current form.
    Last edited by DrWeird; 2010-08-28 at 06:13 PM.
    Et tu, Brute?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't that be a short sword and a longsword?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

No idea; I would have just suggested the katana be a curved longsword, but it seems I was wrong, so I assumed the other two would have been statted.
    Et tu, Brute?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Katana is a bastard sword equivalent.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess it is; I couldn't really say, I've never used one in a game.
    Et tu, Brute?

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by DrWeird View Post
    The fact that you could either have a +1 or a Twinning effect; the outlining that a special quality opposes a +1 in equivalency
    In my suggestion, you would pay a +1 for a weapon that is identical in every way, including enchantments to the one you have. So you could have either a +4 Bastard Sword, or two +3 Bastard Swords, or two +2 Ghost Touch weapons if you so chose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Katana is a bastard sword equivalent.
    No, the Katana and the Wakasashi were both statted up in Oriental Adventures. The Katana is a Bastard sword that costs an extra 65 gold for no added benefit and the Wakasashi... I actually don't remember off of the top of my head.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2010-08-28 at 06:44 PM.
    My games:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I generally favor the idea of a double-edged weapon with two exceptions
    1) You need 1.5 the price to enchant both edges
    2) It doesn't actually have to be one thing. It can be separated. The only requirement would be for the two swords to be wielded by one creature. You can specify that they have like an invisible link that doesn't let you physically seperate them more than a few feet when not wielded to avoid the "what happens if you lost or sell one". If they are not wielded the will have an actual invisible chain.

How to make them linked/twinned? There can be a small fee. Or you can specify that you link them with a mithril chain or another light-but-strong material. The cost would be something small (100gp x something for size if physically linked or 300gp or something if magically linked).

Then you will need some rules to change the make other combinations like linking different swords if you want that feature. The best would be to have a master-and-slave type, where one sword actually has the enchantments and it provides them to the other. If you combine two master swords you could choose one of them as a master (free action to switch).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, that leads to a very excellent creative realm, where Twinned weapons share a 'pool' of enhancements, each taking certain ones every 24 hours, maybe. Like a twinned pair of shortswords would have a +3, keen and icy to share, so one takes +2 and keen, and one takes +1 and icy for a certain length of time.

That is, if the idea of them gaining some double-quality like not being able to be disarmed or stolen unless both would be isn't good enough.
    Last edited by DrWeird; 2010-08-29 at 12:03 AM.
    Et tu, Brute?