New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Talk to Ashiel About Anything Mark II

Dunno if any of you have read Ravine, but it's pretty much awesome sauce.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klara Meison View Post
    You know, you really should read Worm. One of the main characters there looks like this, and encompasses a very unique perspective that book has on what is effectively Outsiders of that world. Or, at least, I don't think I have ever seen something like that anywhere else.
    I wouldn't mind checking it out. I'm actually going out of town for a week in a few days and it'll involve a lot of driving. Maybe if I can grab a copy before I go, I can do some reading while I'm out. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kryzbyn
    Dunno if any of you have read Ravine, but it's pretty much awesome sauce.
    I haven't but it's one of those comics on my list of things to try to get around to reading. I've loved everything I've read by Stephan Sejic, which primarily consists of Death Vigil and Sunstone. It's more or less why I have a comixology account. I do groan that the comixology issues are as expensive as their paperback counterparts (a practice that has continually bothered me throughout the years when it comes to publications). Maybe if I knew that 100% of the price difference were going to the creator.
    You are my God.

3. - Top - End - #63

DrowGuy

The first 2 volumes are in print or .pdf. The 3rd will be done via a deviant art account.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiel View Post
    I wouldn't mind checking it out. I'm actually going out of town for a week in a few days and it'll involve a lot of driving. Maybe if I can grab a copy before I go, I can do some reading while I'm out. :)

I haven't but it's one of those comics on my list of things to try to get around to reading. I've loved everything I've read by Stephan Sejic, which primarily consists of Death Vigil and Sunstone. It's more or less why I have a comixology account. I do groan that the comixology issues are as expensive as their paperback counterparts (a practice that has continually bothered me throughout the years when it comes to publications). Maybe if I knew that 100% of the price difference were going to the creator.
    Here is a link.

I can't post a PDF here since the author specifically asked the readers to not distribute any publicly, since that makes it harder to publish later on, I am afraid. Hovewer, I hear that if you wish upon a star, The Faerie Queen might send one to your private messages...

There is also an audiobook if you are into that.
    Last edited by Klara Meison; 2016-09-20 at 02:03 PM.
    Chief Librarian and Chronicler of Ashiel

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Klara Meison View Post
    Here is a link.

I can't post a PDF here since the author specifically asked the readers to not distribute any publicly, since that makes it harder to publish later on, I am afraid. Hovewer, I hear that if you wish upon a star, The Faerie Queen might send one to your private messages...

There is also an audiobook if you are into that.
    This makes me think I need to get back to writing. Talking about writing gets me longing.
    You are my God.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

what the... how long was i out?

-cuatroespada
    Last edited by the undermined; 2016-09-20 at 05:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

This makes me think I need to get back to writing. Talking about writing gets me longing.
    Oh? What did you write back then?

edit: Clearification due to raptors.
    Last edited by DracoknightZero; 2016-09-21 at 01:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Her hands, probably.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Her hands, probably.
    Clever girl...

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by DracoknightZero View Post
    Clever girl...
    Yeah that was funny, wasn't it?

I wrote some stories now and then. A few years ago before my mom died, I started a novel when an old friend challenged me to write something during the month of November. I typed up 14,512 words in a few days, then never got back around to working on it (procrastination you foul demon!), but I've got the outline for more or less the whole story. It's a fantasy story about a young woman who is murdered protecting others, is transformed into a ghoul (in a country where undead are to be destroyed on sight), and her quest to be reunited with her family and to bring justice to those connected to her murder. In the depths of her despair, she decides to embrace what she has become and assume the guise of a ghostly apparition as she follows the trail of thugs (and viscera) to the mastermind, while her sister (a member of the templar order assigned to investigating the apparition people have seen) hunts her down to destroy her - unaware that the strange undead creature stalking the city is her murdered sister. I've got what I had wrote for it in pdf form if you feel like reading it sometime.

I also write some story elements and such for RPG-related stuff of course.

And I have at least one adult fanfiction involving one of my PCs and her psicrystal, at the request of my friend Justice who was shipping them during that campaign. It's assuredly NSFW and while I don't think it's been written as particularly vulgar (since I prefer to illicit a response from the mind's eye, so to speak) it's basically smut, and it involves some fairly twisted dynamics between an older witch and her niece, but since game of thrones has been so popular the familial element might not seem as of kilter as it could.
    You are my God.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin Re: Talk to Ashiel About Anything Mark II

'Sup? Mark II.

:)
    The Lord of all loves you: yes, you, specifically. Trust in Him: I look forward to seeing you there!

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Tacticslion View Post
    'Sup? Mark II.

:)
    Not much. Preparing to go out of town for a week with my family. I'm gonna see if I can find a nice flash drive to backup my D20-L stuff and see if I can work on it some while I'm gone (perhaps while my family's out grocery shopping or something when we get there).
    You are my God.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Did you see the new "Youtube Heroes" thing?

Youtube decided to be a SJW's wet dream and become a fully-fledged Orwellian crapfest.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2016-09-21 at 09:35 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post

Youtube decided to be a SJW's wet dream and become a fully-fledged Orwellian crapfest.
    I haven't actually.
    You are my God.

15. - Top - End - #75

I haven't actually.
    I suppose its better to not see that and free yourself of the curse that is youtube dependancy.
    But.... we all know that is never going to happen, how else are we going to waste 15 hours watching cat videos?
    Spoiler: Currently DMing:
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

@Ashiel, I saw you mention Shoeonhead and Armored skeptic. You should check out Logicked as well.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    @Ashiel, I saw you mention Shoeonhead and Armored skeptic. You should check out Logicked as well.
    Thanks, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnightZero
    I suppose its better to not see that and free yourself of the curse that is youtube dependancy.
    But.... we all know that is never going to happen, how else are we going to waste 15 hours watching cat videos?
    Having went and looked it up at your mention, my palm is going to be lodged in my face for a while. I'm waiting for the muscle to get tired before attempting to pry it off with a butterknife.
    You are my God.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

I dunno, it's not nearly as bad as China's Sesame Credit program.
    Founding member of the Cult of Ashiel

19. - Top - End - #79

Having went and looked it up at your mention, my palm is going to be lodged in my face for a while. I'm waiting for the muscle to get tired before attempting to pry it off with a butterknife.
    I believe you were properly warned and i take no responsibility for any scars, damages or mental trauma this might have caused.
    Spoiler: Currently DMing:
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

DrowGuy

I'd have to say that SJW's are the living personification of "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

What are your thoughts on allowing a "could de grace" like effect, but for healing? Essentially, a full-round action to focus the healing and achieve a stronger effect. Rationalizing is casting it as a standard action is inefficient and the energy is scattered, but if you take your time and focus it on the affected areas, you can achieve a greater result.

It could simply be maximizing it, or 50% more healing, or doubling (ala a critical hit), or something like a vital strike and roll dice twice then add static modifiers.

I've been considering letting people use coup de grace and vital strike for healing spells or effects to make in combat healing a little more attractive.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Tels View Post
    What are your thoughts on allowing a "could de grace" like effect, but for healing? Essentially, a full-round action to focus the healing and achieve a stronger effect. Rationalizing is casting it as a standard action is inefficient and the energy is scattered, but if you take your time and focus it on the affected areas, you can achieve a greater result.

It could simply be maximizing it, or 50% more healing, or doubling (ala a critical hit), or something like a vital strike and roll dice twice then add static modifiers.

I've been considering letting people use coup de grace and vital strike for healing spells or effects to make in combat healing a little more attractive.
    As far as I'm concerned I'd have no problems with that. Most healing spells are touch-range attack rolls which means they can critically hit and they can be used for coup de grace attacks. The rules assume that you don't have to roll attacks with such spells against willing targets so you don't typically end up threatening critical hits, but to my knowledge there's nothing explicitly preventing you from using such a spell to perform a coup de grace, but you'd generally need to be holding the charge already (since you need a full-round action to deliver and it takes a standard to cast). It could be a great way to make healing between combat encounters more productive.

The biggest issue in regular D20 is anytime you perform a coup de grace there's a 10 + damage taken save DC vs dying, so even if you took no damage from the attack (it actually healed you) you've still got a chance of suddenly pushing daisies (I guess this is the material plane equivalent of vacationing on the positive energy plane or something). I actually wrote a note into d20 legends noting that if the attack deals no damage (using the example of a healing ability being used to make the coup de grace) that they don't have to test vs dying.

Of course, some healing abilities may have no attack, or even rolls involved (the psionic ability natural healing which heals X Hp * Y PP, or things like lesser vigor or infernal healing spring to mind) so those wouldn't be applicable for those reasons.

Personally I have no problem with someone doing that. In fact, it might even create a great reason to pre-cast spells like cure light wounds and hold the charge if you intend to be healing in combat. That also has the side benefit of making healing a bit more proactive since you are essentially reading a "big heal" and then using it when someone gets clobbered. You'd need to be careful of positioning though as you'd still provoke from those who threatened you (fortunately if you're behind your target they provide soft cover which prevents AoOs).

EDIT: Also yes, as best as I can tell, you could use held charged spells with vital strike. That's an interesting thought and would definitely open some doors to launching some big heals or hurts using those feats. Spells tend to have a pretty solid pile of dice associated with them so multiplying those would be really nice. It might also be a tactic that a Magus might be interested in as well since vital striking 5d6 electricity damage can make for some pretty big booms on the cheap.
    Last edited by Ashiel; 2016-09-22 at 05:30 PM.
    You are my God.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

EDIT: Also yes, as best as I can tell, you could use held charged spells with vital strike. That's an interesting thought and would definitely open some doors to launching some big heals or hurts using those feats. Spells tend to have a pretty solid pile of dice associated with them so multiplying those would be really nice. It might also be a tactic that a Magus might be interested in as well since vital striking 5d6 electricity damage can make for some pretty big booms on the cheap.
    I've already removed quite a few of the nonsense restrictions on Vital Strike for games I run (no vital strike on charge/spring attack etc), one of the changes was letting it be used with touch attack spells or effects, on the round it was cast, but as a full-attack action. A magus can bring a lot of pain with an intensified shocking grasp if he has the opportunity to vital strike as well.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm leaving for New Zealand today, first time leaving the country.

What are some places you would want to travel to? Any particular reason?

25. - Top - End - #85

What's that?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nicos View Post
    What's that?
    Nutshell summary? Users can help police YouTube. The more you police, the more you are rewarded and the more valuable your policing becomes.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Eh, let's be honest, while the SJW might like it, this is not something made by them. This is purely a youtube is trying to laze their way out of responsibilities by handing it to the internet thing. It's getting people to do paid jobs for free for them and seeming like they are doing things while doing nothing.

And there will be trolls who get in. Patient ones sure but they will. This is the internet and the only thing certain is that you never turn to the internet to handle itself. They are basically relying on the moral compass of people who comment on youtube videos. This will only end in hilarity. It will be like the time Macdonalds let the internet make their own burger, or the time Mountain Dew wanted a new flavor name from the internet. Or the legend of Boaty McBoatface.

That all said, the add subtitles thing might actually be alright. Pity the moderator crap got tagged onto it.

28. - Top - End - #88

Beholder

I didn't come up with this, it's part Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions. They are fun to ask people though.

Your best friend is taking a nap on the floor of your living room. Suddenly, you are faced with a bizarre existential problem:

This friend is going to die unless you kick them (as hard as you can) in the rib cage. If you dont kick them while they slumber, they will never wake up. However, you can never explain this to your friend; if you later inform them that you did this to save their life, they will also die from that. So you have to kick a sleeping friend in the ribs, and you cant tell them why. Since you cannot tell your friend the truth, what excuse will you fabricate to explain this (seemingly inexplicable) attack?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    I didn't come up with this, it's part Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions. They are fun to ask people though.

Your best friend is taking a nap on the floor of your living room. Suddenly, you are faced with a bizarre existential problem:

This friend is going to die unless you kick them (as hard as you can) in the rib cage. If you dont kick them while they slumber, they will never wake up. However, you can never explain this to your friend; if you later inform them that you did this to save their life, they will also die from that. So you have to kick a sleeping friend in the ribs, and you cant tell them why. Since you cannot tell your friend the truth, what excuse will you fabricate to explain this (seemingly inexplicable) attack?
    "There is a memetic class S hazard associated with telling you why I did that. Yes, I am serious. You know me well enough to realise I wouldn't do this just because. Now kick me so that we are even."

Since you aren't informing your friend of the exact nature of the memetic hazard, I believe this qualifies.
    Chief Librarian and Chronicler of Ashiel

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Your ribs were planning an uprising. I saved you."