New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Oh, My Sweet Summer Child - Game of Thrones Season 3

Yeah, there's already a fan reaction compilation on Youtube.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

Collection of heartbroken tweets about that scene.
    Warning: liberal use of the word "literally".
    Last edited by Zejety; 2013-06-03 at 06:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    Yeah, there's already a fan reaction compilation on Youtube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    The laughter. It can't stop.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

It amuses me, people blaming HBO it... is fun.

I actually watched it with my girlfriend, she was shocked and I started laughing maniacally when Roose did his thing.

Also... this
    Spoiler
    Show

(it is just an image, spoilered for size)
    Last edited by thethird; 2013-06-03 at 06:29 PM.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

5. - Top - End - #545
    Colossus in the Playground

Also, This.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #546

The show's ratings went up from 2-something-millions in Season 1, to 5-something-millions for season 3. Clearly, the extra three millions are mostly people who heard how "cool and raw" the first season was, but since they started watching, they probably haven't experienced a death of a fave character (between the end of season one and last episode, only major char who died was Renley).

My guess is we're about to lose some of those three million viewers, and season 4 ratings are going to be within the more realistic three-million-something range.
    Last edited by Barsoom; 2013-06-03 at 06:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude, I remember when I read this part. I've never thrown a book into a wall so hard.

I've not watched this season, but I'll pick it up during summer. Going to be neat.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

9. - Top - End - #549

My reaction was more along the lines of. "Huh. Really? Yeah, really. And that. Man. Was that really necessary?"

10. - Top - End - #550
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    I'm not sure if those tweets are sarcastic or not, because I feel like by this point people should have had the Red Wedding spoiled for them, or read the books, or just been ready for it. Then again maybe they were expecting this to be changed.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The book set up was better, because it happened in the middle when you got the sense that Robb could actually make his crazy plan work, and then things subtly, jarringly got more and more wrong.

But here, I was actively warning people away from the internet this season just so they wouldn't be spoiled. It was . . . nevertheless utterly brutal to watch. The relish with which they went after Talisa was horrific. And I had read the books.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2013-06-03 at 07:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackspeeker View Post
    I'm not sure if those tweets are sarcastic or not, because I feel like by this point people should have had the Red Wedding spoiled for them, or read the books, or just been ready for it. Then again maybe they were expecting this to be changed.
    At least some of them are sincere. My brother hasn't had it spoiled because he's been avoiding spoilers for awhile. And I've been deliberately giving false spoilers to the guys at work for weeks now.

The shock can definitely be true.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Huh... Was not expecting Talisa to die. Or even be there since the character she replaced from the books was left beind specifically to avoid insulting Walder Frey further. Lotta good that did, 'mirite?

Mixed feelings about the actual Red Wedding. The look on Catelyn's face when they started playing The Rains of Castamere was perfect. Kinda wish the violence would've started during the song instead of after it, but that's a minor nitpick. Catelyn's death at the end... I dunno, I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe it was the fact that she stood there motionless for like 5 seconds until she got killed almost as an afterthought.

Also... Is that really what it's like when someone gets their throat slit? I don't have any firsthand experience, but it just seemed... Kinda fake. High pressure blood and all that.

14. - Top - End - #554

Having been witness to some pretty horrendous situations (shadowing in ER's), all I can say is that in reality arterial spurting is even more pronounced than was depicted. Arterial blood is under quite a bit of pressure after all.

As for Cat's totally devastated, shocked, numb expression - I think she nailed it. Way more realisticnihilistic and heartbreaking than typical melodramatic wailing.
    Last edited by Sojobo; 2013-06-03 at 08:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

I haven't read the books, but heard rumors/spoilers about the Red Wedding. So during episode 8 I thought something was going to go down at Tyrion and Sansa's wedding, but the only thing that went down was the drunken gentleman that is Tyrion Lannister.

So, knowing we've had one more wedding to go, and seeing the title for the episode, I anticipated what was coming, but I could never have imagined the brutality of it all.
    I was stunned, had goosebumps and shivers during the whole scene. Sad to see some of these characters go.

What I don't get is all those tweets.
    I love it when I get emotionally invested in media. I applaud any writer/director who can get such a rise out of me, making me care for these fictional people enough so that I'm shocked and saddened when they die, whilst wishing others had a gruelling death.
    If anything, stuff like this makes me want to continue watching, instead of cursing out the writers and quit.

My thumbs up to mr. Martin and the creators of the show, keep up the good work, I'll keep watching!
    Statistics show that 42% of people are annoyed by fake statistics in signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by [S]Faust[/S]Eric by Terry Pratchet
    “Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.” ~Rincewind

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, realism isn't really what people are going for when throats get cut in cinema, but basically, not really. Cutting across the middle of the throat is actually a bad way to do it, because you're missing the arteries and veins that you're really trying to get at. The best way to cut is actually something Bones talked about in "Space Seed" in ST: TOS: cut from the ear lengthwise underneath the jaw. Even then, a person with a cut throat can still do some phenomenal damage because they have 15-20 seconds of useful consciousness left. It's just that most people react loudly and flop around during that time.

Really, though, as a matter of cinema language, it's basically an insta-kill move. You're supposed to fall over silently, bleed profusely and die without another word. It's a lower-tech version of putting several bullets in someone's head. So in that respect, I could kind of understand Cat's reaction, which was to be overwhelmed by losing absolutely everything, largely because of her own choices. By releasing Jamie, she basically kicked off a series of events that culminated in her seeing what she thought was her only remaining son stabbed in the heart in front of her. I would hope that, in that position, I would make a full-bore charge at Walder Frey and carve the bastard's eyes from his head before I was brought down. But I can understand the impulse to just shut down.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2013-06-03 at 08:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sojobo View Post
    Having been witness to some pretty horrendous situations (shadowing in ER's), all I can say is that in reality arterial spurting is even more pronounced than was depicted. Arterial blood is under quite a bit of pressure after all.

As for Cat's totally devastated, shocked, numb expression - I think she nailed it. Way more realisticnihilistic and heartbreaking than typical melodramatic wailing.
    I dunno, I kinda imagined more of... A large initial gushing of blood followed by a more steady stream. Not high pressure bloodmist.

And with Cat... I guess if she would've fell to her knees or something... Anything instead of just standing there.

18. - Top - End - #558

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Also... Is that really what it's like when someone gets their throat slit? I don't have any firsthand experience, but it just seemed... Kinda fake. High pressure blood and all that.
    My father's a nurse and worked in an emergency station. He said that from injuries to arteries that he saw (not neck, but arms and legs), there is quite some squirting and in this episode, it actually looked a bit understated.

And the blood continues pulsing. There's several spurts, with every heartbeat.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2013-06-03 at 08:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    My father's a nurse and worked in an emergency station. He said that from injuries to arteries that he saw (not neck, but arms and legs), there is quite some squirting and in this episode, it actually looked a bit understated.

And the blood continues pulsing. There's several spurts, with every heartbeat.
    Yes, and bullets down't spark when they hit walls, and you can't see laser beams unles they are pointing it at your eye. They're acceptable breaks from reality (warning! tvtropes link!).

Now, if you want a quasi-plausible explanation, she might have had a heart attack as her throat was cut. The shock + pain could easily cause one - in which case, the initial spurt would be from blood falling from the brain, but after that, oozing would be the best you can hope for.

I still think that "acceptable break from reality" is good enough, since this is what the "throat cut" trope is supposed to look like, possibly verging on the coconut effect (unless you watch anime and their pressurized 20-gallon blood containing characters, which is unrealistic in the opposite direction).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2013-06-03 at 09:05 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #560

Hey, I wasn't complaining. Someone genuinely asked. I mean, I've never seen a cut throat.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Also... this
    Spoiler
    Show

(it is just an image, spoilered for size)
    Yeah, in every other episode everyone would've been talking about poor ser Jorah. But now even the audience ignores him. Poor Ser Jorah...
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

22. - Top - End - #562

GreenSorcererElf

My reaction to the Twitters and the Youtube videos-

I don't remember exactly how close the events are in the books; are they in the same book? But for those who knows what's to come, I find it hilarious that people are talking about quitting the show before they get to see
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joffrey's wedding.
    I'm an evil, evil bastard but it makes me appreciate the TV media quite a lot. /elitist. :)

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    My reaction to the Twitters and the Youtube videos-

I don't remember exactly how close the events are in the books; are they in the same book? But for those who knows what's to come, I find it hilarious that people are talking about quitting the show before they get to see
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joffrey's wedding.
    I'm an evil, evil bastard but it makes me appreciate the TV media quite a lot. /elitist. :)
    Too bad that event has to wait for sometime next season, probably around episode 6 or 7.

My prediction for episode 9 is probably
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Mountain vs The Red Viper
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

24. - Top - End - #564

RogueGuy

Nah, I figure it a bit sooner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Episode 4 for the Purple Wedding - the early season 'mini-climax', like Dany in season 3.
    Around Episode 6-7 for the Red Viper/Mountain showdown.
    Episode 9 for Tyrion's escape and murder of Tywin and Shae as the traditional episode-9-WHAT-THE-HELL-JUST-HAPPENED moment.
    Got to spread your Tyrion smoothly throughout the season.

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    Nah, I figure it a bit sooner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Episode 4 for the Purple Wedding - the early season 'mini-climax', like Dany in season 3.
    Around Episode 6-7 for the Red Viper/Mountain showdown.
    Episode 9 for Tyrion's escape and murder of Tywin and Shae as the traditional episode-9-WHAT-THE-HELL-JUST-HAPPENED moment.
    Got to spread your Tyrion smoothly throughout the season.
    This sounds reasonable.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't wait till the end of next season.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

So those who want to read my brothers reaction to the episode.

Spoiler
    Show

Brother: *raises fist into the air during the talk of baby Ned* That is going to be awesome. I cannot wait for them to win the war and toss Joffrey out a window. *turns to me* They win right?
    Me: It's a long road left to go. And it's not the way you'd suspect, but Robb is my king.
    Brother: *big grin*
    [The guy closes the door]
    Brother: Who's that?
    [Music starts to play]
    Brother: Heh cool they're playing... Wait. That's Tywin's song.
    Me: Yep.
    Brother: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.
    [Walder's speech]
    Brother: What are you doing, you sick f**k
    [Roose is shown to have armor]
    Brother: Yes, thank you. At least someone---
    [Cat slaps Roose]
    Brother: No, not him too.
    Me: *trying hard not to smirk*
    [Stabbing of Talisa]
    Brother: NO! *jumps off of couch and has his hands in his hair as he starts to pace* You f***ers!
    [crossbows]
    Brother: FIGHT HIM LIKE MEN!*he sits back down and starts rocking in his seat with his hands over his mouth*
    [Scene with Arya and Grey Wind]
    Brother: Do it, release the wolf! NO! STOP KILLING EVERYTHING!
    [Robb holds his dead wife]
    Brother: I'm gonna kill them all.
    [Cat's ultimatum]
    Brother: *whispering* No, he doesn't care about his wife. No, no, no.
    [The Lannister's send their regards]
    Brother: GOD DAMN IT!
    [Ending scene]
    *we sit in silence while the credits play*
    Brother: You knew!
    Me: Yep.
    Brother: You told me this episode Robb would be a badass
    Me: Hehehe
    Brother: F**k you!
    Me: *gloating evil laugh*
    Brother: No really, f**k you! Who's gonna... F**k the Lannisters! All of them. I don't care if Tyrion dies so long as that house is completely f**king wiped out!
    Me: *I put my hand on his shoulder* Now you're thinking like a Westerosi.

[About 20 minutes later, my brother finds this as his laptop background]
    Spoiler
    Show

Brother: GOD DAMN IT F**K YOU JACK**!!!!

I greatly enjoyed myself.

28. - Top - End - #568

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    [About 20 minutes later, my brother finds this as his laptop background]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hah! Good show, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #569

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    So those who want to read my brothers reaction to the episode.
    -snip-
    I greatly enjoyed myself.
    You, sir Ser, are a very evil person.

You've got my most sincere congratulations. And applause. Take what you deserve
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, if you are able to do something similar to this for
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Purple Wedding or the Viper vs the Mountain
    , you'll get more.
    Last edited by Elhann; 2013-06-04 at 12:29 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elhann View Post
    You, sir Ser, are a very evil person
    Thank you, and I do try. But I must thank Flickerdart for the devious idea and Eldan for providing the image.