New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    Hello, I am can't think on how to continue my character story so I am asking for your help you magnificent and awesome writer that help people on the internet :)
    She is a TN Protector Asimar that grow in the Shadowfell(how can you not make it into a TN character).
    Sure, just need to know what TN is... I read that as "True Neutral"... but I am not sure if that's what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday Warlock View Post
    Salutations! I have an idea that I'm a little unsure about. I've got an idea for a druid that failed wizard school. He is from a old wizarding family and is kind of very bad at wizard magic. The worst thing about it for him though, is the way that his family just assumes that if he just tried harder he'd be good at it. I'm just not sure about name or why he became a druid or anything quite like that, so I'd quite appreciate it if you could help.
    Sure thing! Just reading what you provided, I already have an idea brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by AH0098 View Post
    Freaking AWESOME! You embodied my mental impression of Venali when I came up with his concept. Your work is AMAZING!
    I have to say I love it. You covered everything about Tolfan's personality in this story. He's a character I have been running for a few sessions and now he can reveal his past in session. I also love the Tawmis-Verse, tying in Tolfan's history with Ellator Skyhaven is just epic.
    So glad you loved it! I enjoyed writing both of them, very much! They were both so very different and allowed me to bounce from one spectrum to the other... and naturally, the fun of tying some people's backgrounds together has been an extra little spice/challenge I've been enjoying!

When you get back from the Con, no rush but here are two more. I hope you have fun with them and they end up being interesting to you.
    Con was the weekend - but I took off on Monday (until tonight) on business travel. But back home now. I am not sure what my work load will be tomorrow, after being away for 4 out of the 5 business days... so if I can I will try to squeeze in these in the order I get them!

1st
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Berrian Haladar
    Race: High Elf
    Class: Wizard - Bladesinger
    Background: Port City Noble
    Personality:I'm privileged and I know it, but that doesn't mean I can't do good on my own. I want adventure and independence but will always be a philanthropist when I can. I am interested in learning more about all the races of Toril.
    Ideals: I want to follow in my Father's steps as a Bladesinger, Philanthropist, Entrepreneur, and Elf. I will prove my father wrong, no matter how long it takes.
    Bonds: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
    Flaws: Prideful, surprisingly lacks caution
    Notes:. Forgotten Realms Setting, I didn't determine if he is a Sun Elf or Moon Elf. I also didn't determine what city he is from.

2nd
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Davlan Fallenleaf
    Race: Ghostwise Halfling
    Class: Druid - Moon most likely
    Background: Faction Agent - Emerald Enclave
    Personality: I believe in the balance of the natural world. I arrive to help those in need, and struggle to hold myself back at times for the sake of Balance.
    Ideals: Protecting the natural Balance is the most important thing in life. If we let our natural world deteriorate, then where will anyone live?
    Bonds: I would lay down my life for the people I served with. The balance of my home has been thrown off, I must find out why. I am leaving my family behind, to make things better no matter how much it hurts.
    Flaws:
    Notes: Travelling from the Chondalwood Forest.
    Looking forward to both!
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I am not going to lie... this may have been one of my favorite ones to write.
    I dove into Lady Swynford's history - because as I began writing, I realized she was the most important part of the rest of the backstory to come together!
    I was able to inject my own Husky (as I mentioned before, named Odin) into the story as Oudyn.
    I was also able to inject myself (though you need not keep the name, but your bonded partner's first name is my middle name, with a twist on the spelling)...
    And his last name is a reference to an old 80's cartoon (and still sounds Paladin like) - Sunsword is a reference to Thundarr the Barbarian.
    And I found a purpose for the canine character... a quest for it...
    As I said, I really enjoyed writing this one! It was a blast to be writing it from a dog's perspective and share a dog's point of view on things...!
    But I may have lost myself in writing it and missed the mark on what YOU wanted!
    So please, if I did - let me know! I'd want to hear ALL feedback - good or bad!
    Enjoy!
    ==============================================
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lady Swynford was said to be a woman whose beauty could not be described. Some described her with locks of golden hair that had been inherited from the sunset. Those that described her as such, also tended to throw in the notion that she was a daughter of Pelor, the god of Sun, Light, Strength and Healing. Despite that, there were those that also described her with silver hair, forged in the heavens, like the magical silver sword she wielded (those that used this description said it was a Holy Sword given to her by Pelor). Some described her with ice blue eyes, whose stare was so cold; it could stop a Frost Giant in their tracks. Yet others described her eyes as green as the Fields of the Afterlife, that when you stared into them, you felt nothing but peace.

One thing was for certain, no matter who told the story, Lady Swynford had led her Order of Paladins known as The Shield of Faith (for which, some say the spell would be named after in her honor). The Shield of Faith had loyally served and upheld the name of Pelor. A recent surge in activity by a clan of orcs known as the Red Eye Orcs attacking and murdering for sheer pleasure, brought the Shield of Faith in direct conflict with them.

A war waged on between the Shield of Faith and the Red Eye orcs for weeks. One fateful night, near the Cliffs of Judgement, Lady Swynford, tired of the battle, cut her way through hundreds – some say thousands – of orcs to reach the leader, a brutal, savage orc by the name of Bour Bloodmane. Bour was larger than any orc Lady Swynford had ever seen; his reddish hair for which he got his surname and his unusual height and build had made Lady Swynford wonder if perhaps this brute had Hill Giant blood somewhere in his bloodline. Regardless, just as much as she was beautiful, she was also courageous and did not back down from the fight.

The story goes that the entire battleground paused and watched this battle between Bour Bloodmane and Lady Swynford take place. The two were evenly matched if you hear it from the Order, while the Orcs would probably argue that Bour was simply toying with Lady Swynford.

As she and Bour were locked in combat, every swing she made he deflected, and every swing he made she raised her shield. Indeed, they were evenly matched. Bour knew this, and began to grow tired, so he called on his Death Dog – a foul, two headed beast, with black, mangy fur, red eyes that could sear a soul and acid that dripped from its mouth. But Lady Swynford did not fight alone. She had a companion – a Husky she had named Oudyn (meaning ‘of fire and ice’ in the ancient Elven tongue). With one whistle, bursting from the gathering of Orcs and Paladins, Oudyn was said to be blessed by the Good Mother, a Celestial Canine that loyally served Pelor, and had been used to track down evil in the Heavens. It is said; every so often The Good Mother blesses several dogs on the world with greater intelligence to fulfill some greater cause.

Oudyn had easily knocked over the Death Dog and continued to charge Bour Bloodmane. Seeing the large husky rushing at him, Bour tried to prepare his sword, but Lady Swynford was there, swinging at him, waiting for an opportunity to break through his defenses.

Oudyn latched onto Bour Bloodmane’s neck, his teeth biting deep into the half-orc’s rancid neck. Blood sprayed everywhere, and Bour stumbled backwards and realized, Lady Swynford had managed to move him towards the cliff’s edge without him realizing it. Feeling himself losing his footing, he lunged and grabbed Lady Swynford’s tabard and pulled her over the cliff with him; as he, Oudyn and Lady Swynford plunged into the waters below, nearly sixty feet.

There was a stunned silence on the battlefield as those who witnessed it realized; both sides had lost their leader. After a minute, the battle resumed and the Red Eye Orcs were driven back. A monument was put up of Lady Swynford and Oudyn at her side, forged by the fabled Dwarven Smith, Joris Stonehammer.

The Shield of Faith gathers at the site once a year, on the day she fell over to honor her courage, and that of Oudyn. For many, many, many years, it became tradition for Paladin Commanders to take on a canine as their most trusted friend and confidant.

That was five hundred years ago.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sir Zephyr, Knight of the Ardent Rose, and you might be wondering if you’ve gone mad understanding me.

I am one of those Huskies that’s been blessed by the Good Mother. I am able to understand, and even to some degree, communicate with humans – especially the one I am bonded with, Sir Petour Sunsword. What humans seem to not understand is that, even those of us who are not blessed by the Good Mother, we use something called Sound Language. Humans have something similar called Sign Language where gestures of a hand or finger can speak for those who cannot. Sound Language operates in a similar fashion. We understand tones and inflection of sound, so we’re able to understand virtually every spoken language using this. It’s just that some of us, like me, are blessed by the Good Mother to understand it more clearly.

Things have changed. The Order has changed. Sir Petour Sunsword had inducted me into the Shield of Faith, and I had become a Paladin of Devotion – after all, what were dogs, if not extremely devoted to their bonded partners?

Along comes Sir Gallendar, newest Lord of the Shield of Faith and discovers we’re still using an ancient tradition of allowing dogs into the Order. While he respected Lady Swynford, he wasn’t entirely convinced she was real, and not just a fabricated story that has been told for generations. Sir Gallendar broke up the notion that canines could be Paladins, despite the protests of the Order itself.

My bonded owner, Sir Petour Sunsword took me, and together, we journeyed for fourteen days to the Cliffs of Judgement to sit before the statue of Lady Swynford and Oudyn, and my bonded master called out to her to ask why this was happening. How could someone believe she wasn’t real?

And it donned on me, at that very moment, why the Good Mother had called on me to find my higher purpose. I was to find evidence that both Lady Swynford was real, as was Oudyn, her faithful companion. With that evidence, Sir Gallendar would have to reverse his demands, and allow canines back into the order…
    Well, I have a few thoughts... The first of which was that I loved the story although it does miss the mark a bit with the character and the order of the Ardent Rose. Nothing too major, I'd just need to change a few details here and there to make it work (and delete one specific *human* character). We had session 0 recently to put together our party and iron out major details of the backstories and I have some bad news. I have to throw out basically everything you've written!

Not to worry though, as I said originally I had the pieces to a backstory but nothing put together yet and your writing prowess has allowed me to not only fit them together, but also into the world at large for the campaign. Especially when it came to a reason to adventure away from the Knightly Order. It also let me see things from a different perspective than I had originally had. The best example is the name "Ardent Rose." Originally it was supposed to be the name of the Order; the Order of the Ardent Rose and Zephyr was going to be a knight of said order but I much prefer "Knight of the Ardent Rose" as a title specific to Zephyr. This means, of course, I need to come up with titles for each and every single knight in the order I name now but what can you do right?

But thank you for the wonderful backstory. Although I've torn it to pieces and reordered them into a horrific Frankenstein's monster of a story with parts from my own ideas it does serve as the foundation of my story and I'd not have been able to put together nearly half as good of a backstory without it.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, just need to know what TN is... I read that as "True Neutral"... but I am not sure if that's what you mean?

Thank you :)
    TN is indeed True Netutral :)

4. - Top - End - #214

BlackDragon

And now, for a Flight of - - Sci-fi!

Spoiler: Star Wars?
    Show

A Sith Wookiee !!!
    With a dual set of Lightsaber Claws!!!

Need to look up Racial Ability adjustments.
    High Str + Con; Low Wis + Cha. (10 min)
    Everything else a little above Average.

Still respects other Wookiees, but no other Races. (This is before Wookiees are slaves)

Has embraced the Dark Side (Racial Rage plus Force Rage) to become the most powerful Wookiee, ever.

Sadly, that's the extent of what I came up with.

I need a deeper reason why this guy would accept training from a Human Sith Lord.

Not a huge rush.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Solunaris View Post
    Well, I have a few thoughts... The first of which was that I loved the story
    That awesome and... wait... there's more?

I have to throw out basically everything you've written!
    Oh!

Not to worry though, as I said originally I had the pieces to a backstory but nothing put together yet and your writing prowess has allowed me to not only fit them together, but also into the world at large for the campaign. Especially when it came to a reason to adventure away from the Knightly Order. It also let me see things from a different perspective than I had originally had. The best example is the name "Ardent Rose." Originally it was supposed to be the name of the Order; the Order of the Ardent Rose and Zephyr was going to be a knight of said order but I much prefer "Knight of the Ardent Rose" as a title specific to Zephyr. This means, of course, I need to come up with titles for each and every single knight in the order I name now but what can you do right?

But thank you for the wonderful backstory. Although I've torn it to pieces and reordered them into a horrific Frankenstein's monster of a story with parts from my own ideas it does serve as the foundation of my story and I'd not have been able to put together nearly half as good of a backstory without it.
    All kidding aside, I am sorry you were not able to use it - but I sincerely thank you for the writing challenge. As I said, it was one of the more unique and enjoyable ones - coming up with a concept of how this could have all worked out. I had a great time writing it! Glad some pieces were able to be used for you, hopefully!

Thank you :)
    TN is indeed True Netutral :)
    Ok! There's so many acronyms I see used here (like BBEG) that I'd never seen until I came here - so I didn't want to assume it meant TN if it meant maybe "Troll Niece" or something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    Show

A Sith Wookiee !!!
    Still respects other Wookiees, but no other Races. (This is before Wookiees are slaves)
    Has embraced the Dark Side (Racial Rage plus Force Rage) to become the most powerful Wookiee, ever.
    I need a deeper reason why this guy would accept training from a Human Sith Lord.

Not a huge rush.
    This one might be ... too much of a challenge, as I normally don't write SciFi - though I've DM'ed Star Wars and Star Frontiers... so let's see what happens when it comes to it.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I have a character for you to write a backstory for!

Name: Shalendra Valsys (Female)
    Race: Wood Elf
    Class: Ranger - Beast Master
    Fighting Style: Two-weapon OR Archery (undecided, likely two-weapon)
    Favored Enemy: Humanoids: Humans and one other undecided (depending on campaign setting)
    Animal Companion: Panther

Rough Outline of Backstory:
    My character comes from a sacred Elven Forest/City that shuns outsiders. She hates the defilers of nature, aka humans, and helps preserve the integrity of the forest. For some reason she must leave her Elven homeland.

Let me see what you can come up with. I look forward to it!
    Last edited by Avista; 2019-07-27 at 01:45 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Avista View Post
    Favored Enemy: Humanoids: Humans and one other undecided (depending on campaign setting)
    My character comes from a sacred Elven Forest/City that shuns outsiders. She hates the defilers of nature, aka humans, and helps preserve the integrity of the forest. For some reason she must leave her Elven home on a "quest."
    Added to the list! I already have ideas storming in my head...

8. - Top - End - #218

Hello, I am can't think on how to continue my character story so I am asking for your help you magnificent and awesome writer that help people on the internet :)
    Unfortunately I was only able to write the body on my character backstory.
    She is a TN(True Natural) Protector Asimar that grow in the Shadowfell(how can you not make it into a TN character).
    She fight close to her enemies with a wand for the strong ones and hand crossbow for the weak ones(She have Crossbow Expert).
    She is heavily armored: +1 shield, fluffed as a buckler and Half-Plate with other bigger shield on the back for the look.
    Personality Traits:
    I love a good insult, even one directed at me.
    I change my mood or my mind as quickly as I change key in a song.
    Ideals:
    Honesty. Art should reflect the soul; it should come from within and reveal who we really are. (Any)
    Bonds:
    I would do anything for the other members of my old troupe.
    Flaws:
    I’ll do anything to win fame and renown.
    Shadow Sorcerer Quirks:
    When you are asleep, you don’t appear to breathe (though you must still breathe to survive).
    You barely bleed, even when badly injured.
    He name is Shir Ko'ev(Translated to Hurting Song).
    She is a Gladiator Shadow Sorcerer 5/Hexblade 2(a blessing from the Raven Queen).
    You have trouble remembering that living creatures and corpses should be treated differently.
    That is what I have:
    She was a young Asimar that was sold to shader-kai(and sent to the shadow plane) and show great talent in performance. They trained her in the way of battle and showmanship and how to control the shadows of their plane by stuffing shadows into her.
    She was a very good gladiator, got her masters a lot of prestige.
    In her last fight the Raven Queen was watching. And she won with a great performance.
    This great fight(with selected warriors, the Raven Queen was watching after all) bought her her freedom. She got a tattoo of the queen symbol on her tongue and got her blessing from her clerics(The 2 hexblade levels)
    She joined some wizards on their way to the material plane in order to gain glory for herself in the name of the queen.
    I enjoyed writing this... Like I said previously about the Feywild, I have never DMed or played in a game that's touched the Feywild or Shadowfell...
    So it was enjoyable to take a walk through the Shadowfell in these backgrounds, since I've touched the Feywild in previous ones...
    I did what I've been doing lately and tied your background to an existing one I did before...
    But they operate independently, very easily, obviously! I have been enjoying tying backgrounds together to make it all seem like one world where all of these backgrounds are happening.
    It's like an extra challenge for me; especially when it provides a reason for a character to do something!
    That said, please let me know if I did all right! Give me ANY feedback - good or bad - it all helps me!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ========
    Childhood is an interesting thing. It’s a time of innocence and discovery, of love and laughter. My mother loved me endlessly, but there were nights, I could hear her speaking to my father, about being concerned about the “unwanted attention my bloodline” might bring upon them.

I always felt different than the other children in our village.

But the age of ten I finally began to understand why I felt different – and the concerns my mother had voiced. I began glowing one night during an energetic game of Karikus and when I had jumped for the ball my feet took off the ground and I began to glide across the crowd. The other kids immediately became frightened as did their parents.

It wasn’t long after that things got uncomfortable for my parents and they had decided to pack up and leave. Two nights of being on the road, my father saw, what appeared to be some Elves tending to an injured deer. Bringing the wagon to a halt, my father stepped off of the wagon and in that moment learned that these were not normal elves.

As they stood, their skin was grey and colorless and they had no pupils in their eyes. They ran their sword through my father and put an arrow through my mother’s back as she reached back to try to tell me to run. That’s when they approached the wagon and spoke in a language I’d never heard of before and threw a magical net over me that instantly made me feel as if my life had been drained from me.

When I woke up, everything felt different. The world was bleak, grey and colorless; there were only shades of grey. For weeks, months, I couldn’t tell how long to be honest, with no sun in sight, I was beat and abused. By the age of sixteen I was bought sold and traded too many times to count, and found myself thrown into a Gladiator ring, where I was trained through brute force, how to use crossbow by one of the Shadar-kai, the people who murdered my mother and father.

There was no room for emotion here. You could not be upset or be happy. You simply existed and accepted that tonight might be your final night. The amount of abuse I suffered at the hands of the Shadar-kai had broken any hope I had in me.

Because I was a female Aasimir they assumed I could not fight, so they focused on teaching me how to use a crossbow so that I could be a marksman from a distance. I learned to channel the magic that was in my veins – I wondered, as I discovered this new ability in me – is that the bloodline that my mother feared? I had thought, once I learned I was an Aasimir that that had been what she had meant… but this magic in me that coursed through my veins… it came from somewhere else. It was ancient, but certainly not angelic.

The life of a Gladiator was typically a short one. It simply took a bad day, one small mistake, and your “career” was over – resulting in death. Somehow, I had thrived as a Gladiator, bringing great attention and reward to my Shadar-kai master, Kayjun’tar.

After what I assume to roughly be a year of this, Kayjun’tar told me that I had one final fight left. He had earned so much money and attention that he no longer needed me, and that if I could win this final fight, it would mean my freedom.

What Kayjun’tar did not tell me was that the people I would be fighting in the ring would all be against me, and I would have no one on my side. The odds were stacked against me and I realized, what he had meant by “earning my freedom” was not intended as to go free but to meet an honorable death.

When the combat had started, the other five were slowly approaching me. They knew that my advantage was distance since I focused primary in the other gladiator combat tournaments using a crossbow. What some of them did not know was the magic that coursed in my veins that seemed to be surging stronger than ever before. I closed my eyes and smiled. When my eyes flew open again they burned with white light and wings sprouted from my back made of light and energy.

Light. Something that was not common in the Shadowfell and it surprised the attackers as much as it had the onlookers or even my keeper, Kayjun’tar. Gliding into the air, I unleashed a bolt of black magic that struck two of my opponents down. Two well placed crossbow bolts to the eyes of two others dropped them down. As I slowly landed back on the ground, the one in the middle, flanked by four of his dead comrades stared at me. With murderous intent he charged forward and I waited for the last minute to step aside as he thrust his sword carelessly forward and with the full might of my strength brought my fist directly into his throat using his own momentum to crush it so that he collapsed to the ground and died a slow and painful death.

The crowd was stunned in silence.

The gate opened and I expected another army of gladiators to rush into the ring, more prepared than the last, to put an end to me. Instead, a woman adorned in black armor with a red raven on his chest entered the gladiator ring.

I immediately dropped to one knee, as I recognized her immediately as Teenar Un’thrull, the High Cleric of the Raven Queen. She, like the others, was one of the Shadar-kai. She came to stand in front of me, and her hollow voice whispered, “Rise, Aasimir.”

I left my crossbow on the ground and rose to my feet. “You slayed five of the Raven Queen’s men,” she said, her voice void of any emotion. “You were supposed to die tonight, Aasimir. You bring great shame to Kayjun’tar, your master.”

An odd silence hung between us for several minutes before she finally said, “The Raven Queen is pleased with your performance tonight. Come child, kiss the lips of the Raven Queen’s Chosen, and know her gift.”

Oddly, I placed my lips to Teenar’s on mine and felt a sting in my mouth. I stepped back shocked, expected that I had been poisoned. Instead I felt more energy and magic coursing through me. “The Raven Queen has a mission for you, Shir Ko'ev. It would seem an ancient weapon from an old enemy of the Raven Queen has resurfaced. The Raven Queen seeks to get it before it falls into the hands of her enemy once again. Nev Van’shir, an ancient vampire turned by Strahd Von Zarovich was given a blade called Bloodthirst, which allows Strahd to constantly be fed, so long as the blade tastes blood. The Raven Queen would like this weapon, so that we can reverse its magic, and see if there might be a way to killed Strahd. Several wizards will be escorting you back to the Prime Material Plane. Find this dagger and call upon us when the blade has been recovered…”

9. - Top - End - #219

Name: Berrian Haladar
    Race: High Elf
    Class: Wizard - Bladesinger
    Background: Port City Noble
    Personality:I'm privileged and I know it, but that doesn't mean I can't do good on my own. I want adventure and independence but will always be a philanthropist when I can. I am interested in learning more about all the races of Toril.
    Ideals: I want to follow in my Father's steps as a Bladesinger, Philanthropist, Entrepreneur, and Elf. I will prove my father wrong, no matter how long it takes.
    Bonds: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
    Flaws: Prideful, surprisingly lacks caution
    Notes:. Forgotten Realms Setting, I didn't determine if he is a Sun Elf or Moon Elf. I also didn't determine what city he is from.
    First one done!
    I enjoyed writing this one... It's funny you had a Bladesinger... I was just posting about a friend who played an Elven Bladesinger in 2nd Edition.
    Since you didn't know if you wanted to go Sun Elf or Moon Elf, I went with Sun Elf... mostly because that provided me more of a challenge.
    Moon Elves apparently tend to be the more Common Elf... So I wanted to challenge myself.
    If in the end you want to go Moon Elf, let me know, and with some tweaks I can rewrite it.
    Hopefully you enjoy!
    Please, as always, leave feedback!
    ================================================
    The Children of Corellon; that’s what we called ourselves.

Long ago, during an event called The Retreat, where there had been a mass migration of Elves from Faerûn to Evermeet, leaving many of the woodlands defenseless. Elves created Green Warders which were living bushes, specifically designed to guard the secrets and tombs of the Elves, and not to shed blood. But the Elves knew that there were those that would burn down the woods to learn the Secret of the Elves, especially since the land was being left defenseless, so Elves trained and became Bladesingers, learning the art of war and magic, woven together. The Bladesingers were the second line of defense in the event anything tried to get passed the docile Green Warders.

One of those families that remained behind was the Haladar.

My family.

When the Elves returned to Faerûn, those who had stayed behind to fight the onslaught of Orcs and other such enemies that rose in power were rewarded with status. For generations the Haladar trained at becoming Bladesingers, most often in the Cat Family – using swords to employ as a part of our abilities in both melee and arcane. It required learning to make the weapon an extension of who you are, as well as using it to weave spells, and become the focus of everything you do, granting you supernatural speed, agility and focus.

When I was fifteen years old, I felt the rebellious streak to do the opposite of what my father told me at every turn. One of those things was to avoid going to avoid The Ruins of Navashar. Legend had it that the Ruins were haunted and marked with great sadness. The origin of the Ruins was a mystery upon itself as not even the Elders were aware who lived in the Ruins that sat at the southern end of the woods. I had convinced my best friend, Bryne Thorncoat, to come with me to the Ruins of Navashar. It was a week trek, a week of our parents not knowing where we had gone. We’d teach them to miss us and show them that we were more important than all of their political meetings they insisted on having about “the world beyond the woods.”

When the Ruins of Navashar came into view; the sight alone was unnerving. The Ruins sat on top of a hill, in the middle of a massive clearing. There were no woods, no grass, no birds, no rabbits, and no signs of life. Stepping into the clearing, I couldn’t tell if it was my imagination that was getting to me, or just the general grip of fear clutching at my heart.

Each step into the clearing felt as if invisible hands were pushing us backwards, and my heart, mind and soul all wanted to let it happen. Instead we continued forward until Bryne put his hand on my shoulder, “Berrian, I think this is a bad idea. There’s something unnatural here.”

“Don’t worry,” I said, pushing down my own fear, and notion of accepting Bryne’s words and running for my life. “We will be fine. Whatever is here is not real. Rumors. Stories.”

“I can feel it,” Bryne persisted. Bryne came from a long family of Priests, all of whom were greatly appreciated. Like me, there was an unusual burden placed on us to follow our parents and be exact copies of them, like generations before them, rather than be individuals.

It felt like it took an hour to move sixty feet, neither of us had the courage to climb the hill and get closer to the ruins, so we made a camp at the base of the hill with the intent to examine the Ruins in daylight – where we could see everything more clearly.

I awoke to a shivering sensation. I pulled my blankets tightly around me, but nothing seemed to stop the chill of the cold that seemed ready to shatter my bones. I opened one of my eyes just barely to see if it had snowed or something and saw Bryne sitting straight up.

“Bryne?” I asked, as I slowly pulled myself up. Then I saw he was staring at the tent’s entrance. There was, from what I could tell, fighting the fuzz in my eyes, a woman there. Her tattered dress fluttered in the chilly night. “My lady?” I asked, I tilted the lantern towards her and let out a gasp. Her face was white and colorless, her eyes were deep, soulless sockets, her mouth agape, her once, long golden locks of hair swaying in the wind, her Elven ears torn and tattered. She unleashed a wail like I’ve never heard before that frightened me so much I dropped the lantern and scrambled out of the tent, running blindly. I couldn’t tell if I ran for hours or days but when I finally stopped I collapsed to the ground drained of breath and feeling as if I had been drained of life itself. “Bryne…” I called out before lapsing into unconsciousness.

When I awoke I don’t know how much time had passed, but my stomach was furiously hungry. I looked all around for Bryne, but there was no sign of him. Fearfully I made my way back to the Ruins of Navashar and reached the edge of the clearing. I could still see our tent, partially burned, at the base of the hill. I tried to see if Bryne was there, perhaps looking for me, but again, there was no sign. Daylight granted me some courage to move closer, but just as before, as soon as I stepped into the clearing, my heart felt as if it were being squeezed. I finally reached the tent and opened the flap.

My heart broke.

Bryne was sitting there, the same position I had seen him the night I awoke. A look of horror forever etched on his face. His body still had color but his soul… his soul was gone. I placed my hands over his eyes and closed them.

I let out a million tears, and never stopped crying, as I took him and placed him over my shoulder, and for one week, carried him back home, where I had to give the tragic news of his death.

From that day on my shame never left me. I trained relentlessly with my father to become a Bladesinger. Perhaps had I taken the time to be like my father, to be a warrior, a fighter, versed in magic and melee, I could have saved Byrne’s life. I could have done something. I could have made a difference. And Byrne would still be here, rather than his parents, his sister, and his two brothers, mourning a terrible, needless loss. I could hear his voice, telling me that we should go back. That he sensed something.

No one knew where the Ruins of Navashar had come from. They all knew to simply leave it. One day, I told my father, I want to travel to the world beyond the woods. I want to find out the origin of the Ruins of Navashar. I wanted to put an end to whatever curse was there, even if that meant associating with outsiders.

They would recognize me as a Bladesinger. They would see I was a Sun Elf. They would know who I am and help me.

After all, I am a Child of Corellon; at least, that’s what I tell myself.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Added to the list! I already have ideas storming in my head...
    Great! I've removed the 'quest' stipulation to give you more room for creativity. She can leave for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Avista; 2019-07-27 at 01:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221

2nd
    Name: Davlan Fallenleaf
    Race: Ghostwise Halfling
    Class: Druid - Moon most likely
    Background: Faction Agent - Emerald Enclave
    Personality: I believe in the balance of the natural world. I arrive to help those in need, and struggle to hold myself back at times for the sake of Balance.
    Ideals: Protecting the natural Balance is the most important thing in life. If we let our natural world deteriorate, then where will anyone live?
    Bonds: I would lay down my life for the people I served with. The balance of my home has been thrown off, I must find out why. I am leaving my family behind, to make things better no matter how much it hurts.
    Flaws:
    Notes: Travelling from the Chondalwood Forest.
    This is the second time someone has asked me to write a Ghostwise Halfling... they're interesting because they're so reclusive...
    So finding a reason to adventure to "the land beyond the woods" always, to me, has to be a strong, compelling reason...
    And being a Druid... naturally, the use of Treants (if you've seen me and Druids on here, Treants are a thing I enjoy using)...
    So a Treant becomes a reason to go out and adventure...
    Side note, look at the Treant's name when you get there - and reverse it. Had some fun with that.
    As always, please give me any and all feedback! What you like, what you loved, what you thought was all right, and what you hated!
    Enjoy!
    ========================================
    The Emerald Enclave was always thought to be composed of druids, because of the emblem.

Truth be told, the Emerald Enclave was one of the few organizations that care about the world in general. In times of distress, one might see Druids fighting alongside Northland Barbarians, to help defend a town from a band of Marauding Ogres.

As a Ghostwise Halfling, I, like the others of my Clan, are reclusive. We rarely ventured beyond the Chondalwood Forest, but quite a few of us were members of the Emerald Enclave. This called on us to leave Chondalwood Forest from time to time, to assist nearby towns against those who seek to do harm to the Balance.

The most common threat however, was from humans, who continued to try and encroach on our land. Many of them were loggers or poachers, tearing down the woods and killing exotic animals that found sanctuary in the Chondalwood Forest.

As I stare into the eyes of a human being choked by murder-vines after he had murdered a young fawn for the sheer sport of it, I wonder how far I would go to preserve the balance. His face turning blue, I simply continued to callously stare into his eyes. “I am going to watch you die,” I hissed in his ear. “The fawn never knew you were there. You killed her when she was still young. She never had a chance to survive. And for what? Sport? There’s no meat on her bones to use as food. Her fur is too small to use to skin.” The human’s eyes begin to roll back, his tongue swollen and lisping to one side of his mouth. He is mere moments from death when I snap my fingers and the murder-vines release their hold. He’s left on the ground choking and gasping for breath. I draw my dagger and slice it across his face, truth be told, I don’t even care if I cut out his eye. If it happens, that’s just extra pleasure. “I’ve marked you,” I continued to growl, “And if I see you anywhere – and I mean anywhere – near these woods again, they will be feasting on your bones.” Behind me, three hungry wolves growled, their thirst expression reflected in his fear-filled eyes.

The human got up and began running towards the exit of the woods when he was suddenly snatched up by a tree and had his back snapped and then thrown out onto the path, discarded like a broken toy.

“Toorg,” I sigh, “if you kill the humans how are they supposed to pass the message not to come in the woods anymore?”

Toorg, one of the younger Treants of Chondalwood Forest slowly turned to face me. “If they think,” his voice creaked like an old wooden stair, “the woods are haunted they won’t come in here. I thought someone who is a Ghost,” he emphasized, “wise, would understand that.” The treant scooped up the slain baby fawn, “Tynealla did not deserve this death. She was young.”

I itched my head, “You’re right, she did not deserve that death. And while the human’s actions were indeed brutal and uncalled for, if we had let him live, he could have warned others to not come here. Now someone on a wagon will eventually come down that road and find him dead. They may send in a search party looking for what killed him.”

“Then we kill them too,” Toorg seemed to smile.

“Why are you so bloodthirsty lately?” I asked as I walked towards him. “These last few weeks you have been acting strangely. For that matter, many of the Treants have. Your kind has been bickering with the Druidic Order that we’ve been too passive and that the world beyond the woods grows ever more violent and that we must meet them with the same violence.”

“As a druid, do you not care about the Balance,” Toorg asked.

“More than anything,” I replied.

“If the world outside becomes more violent, so must we,” he said as his roots began digging a grave for Tynealla.

“I don’t think that’s how the Balance works,” I answered, placing my hands on my hips. “If we become just as violent as they do we are not better than them. As they get more violent, if we do, they will also meet and surpass our violence, which in your theory means we need to get more violent as well.”

“The Balance,” he said matter-of-factly.

On the next full moon, the Order gathered in the Grove of Silversprings.

There was the typical bickering between Druids about territory and actions to be taken, and I waited, patiently I might add, for a break in the discussion before I asked, “Has anyone else notice that the Treants are behaving strangely?”

Spur Twostep, a Satyr Druid, looked over at me. “What do you mean… strangely?”

“They’re all bloodthirsty,” I replied. “I thought it was just one or two – but even a young Treant I’ve known all of my life has become increasingly violent. Two weeks ago he snapped a human’s spine in half and threw him out on the traveled path as ‘a warning sign’ to others. I’ve seen other Treants behaving in similar ways. They’ve spilled more blood in these woods than any human has in the last six months. Something has changed in these woods. I have not been able to figure it out, but I believe there’s an infection of some kind.”

There was rumbling among the others, and finally, Tor Delaron stepped up, “I’ve noticed the same behavior.” After him, it was like a landslide. Everyone began to confess their concerns over the Treants and their behavior. It wasn’t until the next Full Moon when we gathered together again, that we all concluded, there was nothing we could find that was causing this.

The Ghostwise are not the type to go to the world beyond the woods; but enduring another month of Toorg’s violence was more than enough to weigh my heart down so much that I told my family first, before telling my Order, that I wanted to go to the land beyond the woods… I wanted to see if there was information out there, someone who might know what’s happening… and how to restore Balance in my homeland once again…

12. - Top - End - #222

My character comes from a sacred Elven Forest/City that shuns outsiders. She hates the defilers of nature, aka humans, and helps preserve the integrity of the forest. For some reason she must leave her Elven homeland.
    Done!
    Because it's become a thing I do (lovingly called "The Tawmis-Verse" by folks in this thread!) I was able to "loosely" connect yours to another person's origin that I just wrote! So you can read that one too and get a "piece" of your own history (explains the Treants and the Druid Council).
    Other than that, I had fun writing this... even the tragic piece of survival on both sides...
    Please leave feedback! What you love, what you hate, anything! I thrive on feedback of any kind!
    Enjoy!
    ============================================

Humans.

They’re wretched and wasteful, with their short lives compared to that of an Elf, they had so little regard for tomorrow, always living in the moment of now. They would decimate a forest, without considering the impact to the world, to the plants, to the wildlife, raping the land and robbing these people and animals of their homes.

I wasn’t always this vengeful. From the moment I was born, I can almost swear I heard my father warning me about the ways of “The Men Beyond The Woods” or his favorite slur, “the round ears.” Living in Chondalwood Forest, I was surrounded by Ghostwise Halflings, Satyr, Treants, and other tribes of Elves, all of which called Chondalwood Forest home. They all told me about the evils of Humans, and I refused to listen to it. Humans could not be as evil as everyone seemed to make them out to be.

All of these stories always involved Male Humans doing these horrible things, so I wanted to know how Female Humans were.

At the age of sixteen, I got my answer. My father was a Druid and taught me how to live off the land and track people and animals in the woods. While my father focused on the Balance of Nature using Magic, I wanted to be more direct in the event it came to a fight. I learned how to use not one, but two swords, in the event I was ever disarmed. My father was not pleased with me since he did not think it was right for women to be using weapons and getting so close and upfront in fights. This is the first I had heard him make such statements, so I think it had more to do with the fact that I was placing myself in danger.

My father knows how to say things so it sounds like one thing but he means something else.

The snapping sound of a twig snapped me back to reality.

I was busy tracking what appeared to be a thin human who had somehow gotten around the Treants in the Northern Border, which was no easy feat. The Treants were almost impossible to see when they were sitting still unless you knew what to look for. But something had made the Treants more violent the last few months. I had heard my father at the Druid’s Council arguing about the Treants after a Ghostwise Halfling had brought up the observation. When Tor Delaron, someone whom my father knew and respected, spoke up, it was a landslide of other voices now all agreeing that they’d seen the same thing. There was a good chance whatever was impacting the Treants was making them restless and easier to spot.

Then I saw her – a human woman! She was wearing a cloak that shimmered, making her difficult to see. But there she was with a bow and arrow in hand. I saw her pull the string back and my eyes followed where the arrow was pointed – and there, in a small cave was a black panther on her side allowing her cubs to drink from her nipples.

“No!” I shouted, but it was already too late. The sound of my voice had alerted the panther mother, who lifted her head, just in time to get an arrow in her throat. I rushed out from my hiding place and tackled the human woman and shoved my dagger through her right hand. “What have you done?” I growled.

The woman screamed in pain as my dagger pierced her hand and pinned it to the ground. “I am so sorry,” she cried, “my children – they’re starving. They don’t feed us at the shelter! I was desperate!”

“Look!” I violently turned her head, not even caring if I snapped her neck in the process and made her look at the panther she’d slain. “Look! She has three cubs! Three cubs that now – like your children – will starve because of you!”

“I wouldn’t have hurt the cubs,” she cried as I pulled out my dagger. She held her hand to her bleeding palm.

“Wouldn’t have hurt them? Wouldn’t have hurt them? You’ve doomed them by killing their mother! You would be merciful if you did kill them at this point!” I was foaming at the mouth, beyond furious. I placed the dagger against her throat, so close, applying so much pressure, that it cut and began to bleed. “I should kill you – I should kill you and let your children starve and die! It would only be perfect! It would be the Balance!”

I jumped off the woman and pointed, “Get out. Get out of my sight. If I ever see you again, in these woods or out there in the world, I do not care if your children are watching, I will kill you. So run. Run far away. And pray our paths do not ever cross again.”

As the woman ran north, I shouted, “Stop! Go this way!” and pointed to the west. If she kept running North she would run into the Treants who had been blood thirsty. Perhaps that’s what she deserved, honestly. I turned my gaze to the slain panther and her cubs. I reached down and picked up all three cubs and returned home.

My father was furious with me and scolded me saying that I should not have revealed myself. Neither should I have taken the cubs. I should have let nature decide their fate. I told my father that Nature had decided their fate by putting me there. Two of the cubs died within two weeks, the third, and the runt of the litter however survived. She treated me like her mother and rubbed against me and purred wildly. I named her Skyshadow, because of her crystal blue eyes and dark fur.

Despite my searing hatred of humans, I realize it comes from an ignorance of not knowing how their world works. My name is Shalendra Valsys, and with my best friend, Skyshadow, I will go out to the world beyond the woods and learn about this strange world…

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

I enjoyed writing this... Like I said previously about the Feywild, I have never DMed or played in a game that's touched the Feywild or Shadowfell...
    So it was enjoyable to take a walk through the Shadowfell in these backgrounds, since I've touched the Feywild in previous ones...
    I did what I've been doing lately and tied your background to an existing one I did before...
    But they operate independently, very easily, obviously! I have been enjoying tying backgrounds together to make it all seem like one world where all of these backgrounds are happening.
    It's like an extra challenge for me; especially when it provides a reason for a character to do something!
    That said, please let me know if I did all right! Give me ANY feedback - good or bad - it all helps me!
    Spoiler: I will just hide some of it so You could see my comment 😉
    Show
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ========
    Childhood is an interesting thing. It’s a time of innocence and discovery, of love and laughter. My mother loved me endlessly, but there were nights, I could hear her speaking to my father, about being concerned about the “unwanted attention my bloodline” might bring upon them.

I always felt different than the other children in our village.

But the age of ten I finally began to understand why I felt different – and the concerns my mother had voiced. I began glowing one night during an energetic game of Karikus and when I had jumped for the ball my feet took off the ground and I began to glide across the crowd. The other kids immediately became frightened as did their parents.

It wasn’t long after that things got uncomfortable for my parents and they had decided to pack up and leave. Two nights of being on the road, my father saw, what appeared to be some Elves tending to an injured deer. Bringing the wagon to a halt, my father stepped off of the wagon and in that moment learned that these were not normal elves.

As they stood, their skin was grey and colorless and they had no pupils in their eyes. They ran their sword through my father and put an arrow through my mother’s back as she reached back to try to tell me to run. That’s when they approached the wagon and spoke in a language I’d never heard of before and threw a magical net over me that instantly made me feel as if my life had been drained from me.

When I woke up, everything felt different. The world was bleak, grey and colorless; there were only shades of grey. For weeks, months, I couldn’t tell how long to be honest, with no sun in sight, I was beat and abused. By the age of sixteen I was bought sold and traded too many times to count, and found myself thrown into a Gladiator ring, where I was trained through brute force, how to use crossbow by one of the Shadar-kai, the people who murdered my mother and father.

There was no room for emotion here. You could not be upset or be happy. You simply existed and accepted that tonight might be your final night. The amount of abuse I suffered at the hands of the Shadar-kai had broken any hope I had in me.

Because I was a female Aasimir they assumed I could not fight, so they focused on teaching me how to use a crossbow so that I could be a marksman from a distance. I learned to channel the magic that was in my veins – I wondered, as I discovered this new ability in me – is that the bloodline that my mother feared? I had thought, once I learned I was an Aasimir that that had been what she had meant… but this magic in me that coursed through my veins… it came from somewhere else. It was ancient, but certainly not angelic.

The life of a Gladiator was typically a short one. It simply took a bad day, one small mistake, and your “career” was over – resulting in death. Somehow, I had thrived as a Gladiator, bringing great attention and reward to my Shadar-kai master, Kayjun’tar.

After what I assume to roughly be a year of this, Kayjun’tar told me that I had one final fight left. He had earned so much money and attention that he no longer needed me, and that if I could win this final fight, it would mean my freedom.

What Kayjun’tar did not tell me was that the people I would be fighting in the ring would all be against me, and I would have no one on my side. The odds were stacked against me and I realized, what he had meant by “earning my freedom” was not intended as to go free but to meet an honorable death.

When the combat had started, the other five were slowly approaching me. They knew that my advantage was distance since I focused primary in the other gladiator combat tournaments using a crossbow. What some of them did not know was the magic that coursed in my veins that seemed to be surging stronger than ever before. I closed my eyes and smiled. When my eyes flew open again they burned with white light and wings sprouted from my back made of light and energy.

Light. Something that was not common in the Shadowfell and it surprised the attackers as much as it had the onlookers or even my keeper, Kayjun’tar. Gliding into the air, I unleashed a bolt of black magic that struck two of my opponents down. Two well placed crossbow bolts to the eyes of two others dropped them down. As I slowly landed back on the ground, the one in the middle, flanked by four of his dead comrades stared at me. With murderous intent he charged forward and I waited for the last minute to step aside as he thrust his sword carelessly forward and with the full might of my strength brought my fist directly into his throat using his own momentum to crush it so that he collapsed to the ground and died a slow and painful death.

The crowd was stunned in silence.

The gate opened and I expected another army of gladiators to rush into the ring, more prepared than the last, to put an end to me. Instead, a woman adorned in black armor with a red raven on his chest entered the gladiator ring.

I immediately dropped to one knee, as I recognized her immediately as Teenar Un’thrull, the High Cleric of the Raven Queen. She, like the others, was one of the Shadar-kai. She came to stand in front of me, and her hollow voice whispered, “Rise, Aasimir.”

I left my crossbow on the ground and rose to my feet. “You slayed five of the Raven Queen’s men,” she said, her voice void of any emotion. “You were supposed to die tonight, Aasimir. You bring great shame to Kayjun’tar, your master.”

An odd silence hung between us for several minutes before she finally said, “The Raven Queen is pleased with your performance tonight. Come child, kiss the lips of the Raven Queen’s Chosen, and know her gift.”

Oddly, I placed my lips to Teenar’s on mine and felt a sting in my mouth. I stepped back shocked, expected that I had been poisoned. Instead I felt more energy and magic coursing through me. “The Raven Queen has a mission for you, Shir Ko'ev. It would seem an ancient weapon from an old enemy of the Raven Queen has resurfaced. The Raven Queen seeks to get it before it falls into the hands of her enemy once again. Nev Van’shir, an ancient vampire turned by Strahd Von Zarovich was given a blade called Bloodthirst, which allows Strahd to constantly be fed, so long as the blade tastes blood. The Raven Queen would like this weapon, so that we can reverse its magic, and see if there might be a way to killed Strahd. Several wizards will be escorting you back to the Prime Material Plane. Find this dagger and call upon us when the blade has been recovered…”
    Ok, I really like this.

I will need to see what kind of game this is karikus(never heard of it).
    I may change it to something I know.

I may tonedown the beating and abusment. I want her to be happy and loving, not scarred(I forgot to write it before, my bad).

We are now in the Dungeon of The Mad Mage so I will change the last part about the weapon to something else. I think I may be able to talk to my DM so the weapon will be there somewhere to be found.

This last paragraph really help me as I was trying to think what she want that isn't fame and glory.
    Last edited by BloodSnake'sCha; 2019-07-27 at 06:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224

Ok, I really like this.
    I will need to see what kind of game this is karikus(never heard of it).
    I may change it to something I know.
    I may tonedown the beating and abusment. I want her to be happy and loving, not scarred(I forgot to write it before, my bad).
    We are now in the Dungeon of The Mad Mage so I will change the last part about the weapon to something else. I think I may be able to talk to my DM so the weapon will be there somewhere to be found.
    This last paragraph really help me as I was trying to think what she want that isn't fame and glory.
    Karikus is a word (game) I made up. I envisioned something like rugby. But I figure in a fantasy world, they're not going to call it "rugby." So I gave it a fictional name. Sort of like - ugh - the game that they play in Harry Potter. (Can't remember the name of it now, naturally...)

As for the beatings, I figured it's the Shadowfell, where they're sort of devoid of emotion. So they don't see it as "beating and abusing" - rather than just "getting you in shape."

15. - Top - End - #225

BlackDragon

So I gave it a fictional name. Sort of like - ugh - the game that they play in Harry Potter. (Can't remember the name of it now, naturally...)
    Quidditch - (Mage's Soccer/Futball?) flying around on Brooms to score with a small winged golden ball (Snitch).
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-27 at 11:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226

Show

A Sith Wookiee !!!

Not a huge rush.
    Because I am horrible at SciFi - I managed to ditch most of the SciFi elements of it and keep it almost "fantasy" oriented.
    I dug deep with some Star Wars lore that allowed me to do some "foreshadowing"...
    But in case one is not aware of the beasts and such, I have characters mention it... So it doesn't take a hardcore Star Wars fan to know it.
    Anyway... Enjoy!
    Please let me know your thoughts, especially since this is Star Wars, where I have run (and played) in the games, but never really wrote anything for it...
    ==================================
    Kashyyyk was a beautiful planet, full of towering treetops and endless amounts of animals and plants. Most commonly known for being the home Wookiees, they lived in treehouses that spiraled up the massive trees. The ground level of Kashyyyk was full of untamed and often extremely violent and lethal animals and plants, which is why Wookies took to living in the trees above it all.

But for one of the Wookie’s greatest enemies, Trandoshans who worshiped their goddess, the Scorekeeper, this was a wonderful means of scoring jagannath points. Jagannath points were earned by committing acts of violence, usually involved in hunting and capture (and more often than not, killing) a target, which led many Trandoshans to take up bounty hunting. But for those Trandoshans who did not have the means to travel far, coming to Kashyyyk and hunting the wide variety of animals was the next best thing, especially if a Wookiee could be killed. A Wookiee’s pelt was worth quite a few jagannath points.

Skorm, and his brother, Journ, were here for that very reason. Skorm was taller than his brother, Journ, and the hue of his skin a deeper red color, while Journ was yellow-orange in tint. As Trandoshans, they were large, bipedal reptilian humanoids from the planet Trandosha, which shared the Mytaranor solar system as Kashyyyk, and as such developed a long hatred between Trandoshans and Wookiees.

Several moons ago, while hunting down Terentatek, Skorm had unwittingly saved a Wookiee from the vicious creature. Terentatek were large, brutish creatures covered in spines, similar to viciously known and feared rancors; they were however smaller than them. Terentateks hunted individuals sensitive to the Force to feed on their blood, according to legend. Using their highly poisonous tusks and claws in combat, they were known for their viciousness, and thus highly valuable for jagannath points.

When Skorm had tracked the Terentatek and attacked, he’d not seen that the beast was already engaged in combat with a Wookiee. The beast seeing that it was potentially outnumbered fled, leaving Skorm and the Wookiee to fight. The Wookiee already full of adrenaline from fighting the Terentatek, had managed to best Skorm, knocking his blaster from his clawed hand. Instead of killing Skorm however, the Wookiee raised its hands and howled, and quickly fled. That had greatly impacted Skorm’s jagannath points in the eyes of the Scorekeeper and the only way to earn those points back was to slay the one who insulted you, and thus removed all your points. But Skorm knew that one on one, Wookiees were physically stronger, and so he convinced his brother to come with him, dragging Journ with him, who had been in the middle of hunting Wyyyschokk, which were giant spiders that made their homes in Kashyyyk, preying on anything that entered its web, whether flesh or steel.

“{Why would a Wookiee be fighting a Terentatek anyway?}” Journ asked in their native tongue of Dorn. Anyone else who did not speak the language it would have sounded like an angry serpent.

“{The Wookiee was probably hunting for food,}” Skorm replied, “{and came across the Terentatek, thinking he could kill the thing. Wookiees are fools. But we need to find that fool,}” Skorm growled, thinking how he had lost all of the points he’d acquired and would never be able to regain them unless he killed the Wookiee.

Trandoshans spent their lives hunting, tracking and killing, and once Skorm retraced his steps to where he had originally encountered the Terentatek and the Wookiee, he was able to begin looking at the way the plants were bent, and see the bent portions and know roughly how long ago the plant’s base had been snapped. Through that he could retrace the fight, exclude any recent passage through the area and narrow down which way the Wookiee had gone.

Tracking the footprints to a large tree, Skorm and Journ looked up and saw a Wookiee hut above them. Strapping their weapons to their back, they pulled out equipment that specifically allowed them to thrust blades into the tree and assist them with climbing such trees in their pursuit of hunting down and killing Wookiees.

They reached the large hut and gained entrance and quickly drew their weapons. Despite the primitive nature of the huts, it was made so that it wrapped around the tree and was extremely large, moving up and down, alongside the tree.

Both Skorm and Journ finally found the Wookiee who had their back turned to them, tending to one of the Wookiee children. There was no honor code in killing Wookiees when it came to Trandoshans – it was merely, “By any means necessary.” Skorm took aim in his scope, a toothy grin spread across his reptilian features as he pulled the trigger.

Just before hitting the Wookiee, the blast suddenly veered upwards. The Wookie turned and saw the familiar face of Skorm and howled in fury that the Trandoshan had returned. Still recovering from the notion that he had somehow missed the Wookiee, Skorm did not get his weapon up in time before the Wookiee was on top of him, strangling him.

Journ seeing his brother being strangled, raised his weapon, but suddenly felt a shove that slammed him against the wall, knocking the weapon from out of his hand. The Wookiee did not even notice as he continued to crush Skorm’s throat. Skorm reached into his coat and pulled out a vibro-blade which he plunged into the Wookiee’s stomach. The Wookiee howled in pain and dropped Skorm. Skorm pulled up his blaster, but the Wookiee grabbed Skorm by the arm and ripped it off effortlessly. Green blood splashed into the room as Skorm howled in furious pain. Trandoshans had the ability to regenerate, albeit slowly, but only if he survived.

Skorm grabbed his blaster with the other hand, and feebly tried to pull it up. But the Wookiee reached down and with a quick snap, broke Skorm’s neck. Skorm’s lifelessly body collapsed to the ground. By this time, Journ was back on his feet and aimed his blaster, and fired – and once again, the blast veered off at the last moment. This time he saw why.

A human holding a red lightsaber was standing between him and the Wookiee. With a gesture of his hand, Journ flew out the window and screamed as he fell to what one might assume was his death, sixty feet below.

The human turned and the Wookiee grabbed him by the throat.

The human dropped his lightsaber and raised his hands as he choked out the words, “I mean you no harm, Wookiee.”

The Wookiee threw the human down on the ground, still furious about the Trandoshans and the stab wound. The human rubbed his throat, “It would seem I saved your life, Wookiee, not once, but twice from those Trandoshans. I believe your people have a thing called a life debt…”

The Wookiee howled angrily towards the human. “Yes,” the human nodded, “I am sure you could have taken care of it yourself. Both times the Trandoshans were going to hit you when you weren’t looking.”

The Wookiee growled again.

“Why am I here?” The human picked up the lightsaber and attached it to his belt. “Is it not obvious?”

The Wookiee made an assortment of sounds.

“You,” the human paused, “you really don’t know, do you?” He chuckled. “Interesting. You moved away from your people because of the constant attacks by Terentatek down below. You left with your family. Your mate was killed and now you have only your daughter to remember her by.” He made himself comfortable. “You do know that Terentatek feed on the blood of those who are Force Sensitive?”

The Wookiee made a series of dubious grunts and growls.

“This is why the Terentatek are drawn to you,” the human explained.

The Wookiee shook his head.

“Come with me. I can show you the way,” the human offered.

The Wookiee growled.

“Your daughter? I will see to it personally that she is well taken care of,” the human smiled beneath his dark cowl.

There was a long moment, but the Wookiee finally agreed. The man stood up, “Excellent. Now allow me to show you something… this is going to hurt…”

The human closed his eyes and reached out – the Wookiee howled in pain as his claws were forcibly pulled out of his fingers so that they were six to eight inches long, drenched in blood. The human smiled as the Wookiee grew furious and the blood on his claws changed, and began to glow.

“Give in to the anger,” the human whispered. “Feel the fury. Become the weapon.”

When the Wookiee finally looked up, each of his claws was glowing like miniature lightsabers.

“Yes,” the human smiled. “With weapons like that, I have a new name for you. Maul.”

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Karikus is a word (game) I made up. I envisioned something like rugby. But I figure in a fantasy world, they're not going to call it "rugby." So I gave it a fictional name. Sort of like - ugh - the game that they play in Harry Potter. (Can't remember the name of it now, naturally...)

As for the beatings, I figured it's the Shadowfell, where they're sort of devoid of emotion. So they don't see it as "beating and abusing" - rather than just "getting you in shape."
    Current me but you wrote it from the character perspective.
    If so then she should see it as getting in shape as she got there young.

And about the game. I think it is nice to have a in setting game.

18. - Top - End - #228

Current me but you wrote it from the character perspective.
    If so then she should see it as getting in shape as she got there young.
    And about the game. I think it is nice to have a in setting game.
    I did - but as for her seeing it as "getting in shape" - I meant the Shadar-kai seeing it as "getting you in shape." They don't really have emotions, one way or another. They're bland, just like their colorless lives, emotionally.

Where as (because I always enjoy some contrast) I had it so when your character was abducted, she'd already lead a good life (had friends, known what the "good life" was like), so in her view, the brutal training of becoming a Gladiator would be seen as "abuse" - after all, the life of a gladiator is life and death. Hardly a cheery one. Friends you make might end up dead the next day, so it was best to be emotionally cut off.

This is, to me, what lends to her being True Neutral inside. She's neither good nor evil. She's emotionally devoid, in someways.

But my vision of your (or anyone's!) character based off the information you provided may not be the same vision as the person requesting these backgrounds! So, as always, what I write and do is always up to you to use, even change, or completely disregard!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

I did - but as for her seeing it as "getting in shape" - I meant the Shadar-kai seeing it as "getting you in shape." They don't really have emotions, one way or another. They're bland, just like their colorless lives, emotionally.

Where as (because I always enjoy some contrast) I had it so when your character was abducted, she'd already lead a good life (had friends, known what the "good life" was like), so in her view, the brutal training of becoming a Gladiator would be seen as "abuse" - after all, the life of a gladiator is life and death. Hardly a cheery one. Friends you make might end up dead the next day, so it was best to be emotionally cut off.

This is, to me, what lends to her being True Neutral inside. She's neither good nor evil. She's emotionally devoid, in someways.

But my vision of your (or anyone's!) character based off the information you provided may not be the same vision as the person requesting these backgrounds! So, as always, what I write and do is always up to you to use, even change, or completely disregard!
    Ok, i get what you say.
    I think I will go with it.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Done!
    Because it's become a thing I do (lovingly called "The Tawmis-Verse" by folks in this thread!) I was able to "loosely" connect yours to another person's origin that I just wrote! So you can read that one too and get a "piece" of your own history (explains the Treants and the Druid Council).
    Other than that, I had fun writing this... even the tragic piece of survival on both sides...
    Please leave feedback! What you love, what you hate, anything! I thrive on feedback of any kind!
    Enjoy!
    ============================================

Humans.

They’re wretched and wasteful, with their short lives compared to that of an Elf, they had so little regard for tomorrow, always living in the moment of now. They would decimate a forest, without considering the impact to the world, to the plants, to the wildlife, raping the land and robbing these people and animals of their homes.

I wasn’t always this vengeful. From the moment I was born, I can almost swear I heard my father warning me about the ways of “The Men Beyond The Woods” or his favorite slur, “the round ears.” Living in Chondalwood Forest, I was surrounded by Ghostwise Halflings, Satyr, Treants, and other tribes of Elves, all of which called Chondalwood Forest home. They all told me about the evils of Humans, and I refused to listen to it. Humans could not be as evil as everyone seemed to make them out to be.

All of these stories always involved Male Humans doing these horrible things, so I wanted to know how Female Humans were.

At the age of sixteen, I got my answer. My father was a Druid and taught me how to live off the land and track people and animals in the woods. While my father focused on the Balance of Nature using Magic, I wanted to be more direct in the event it came to a fight. I learned how to use not one, but two swords, in the event I was ever disarmed. My father was not pleased with me since he did not think it was right for women to be using weapons and getting so close and upfront in fights. This is the first I had heard him make such statements, so I think it had more to do with the fact that I was placing myself in danger.

My father knows how to say things so it sounds like one thing but he means something else.

The snapping sound of a twig snapped me back to reality.

I was busy tracking what appeared to be a thin human who had somehow gotten around the Treants in the Northern Border, which was no easy feat. The Treants were almost impossible to see when they were sitting still unless you knew what to look for. But something had made the Treants more violent the last few months. I had heard my father at the Druid’s Council arguing about the Treants after a Ghostwise Halfling had brought up the observation. When Tor Delaron, someone whom my father knew and respected, spoke up, it was a landslide of other voices now all agreeing that they’d seen the same thing. There was a good chance whatever was impacting the Treants was making them restless and easier to spot.

Then I saw her – a human woman! She was wearing a cloak that shimmered, making her difficult to see. But there she was with a bow and arrow in hand. I saw her pull the string back and my eyes followed where the arrow was pointed – and there, in a small cave was a black panther on her side allowing her cubs to drink from her nipples.

“No!” I shouted, but it was already too late. The sound of my voice had alerted the panther mother, who lifted her head, just in time to get an arrow in her throat. I rushed out from my hiding place and tackled the human woman and shoved my dagger through her right hand. “What have you done?” I growled.

The woman screamed in pain as my dagger pierced her hand and pinned it to the ground. “I am so sorry,” she cried, “my children – they’re starving. They don’t feed us at the shelter! I was desperate!”

“Look!” I violently turned her head, not even caring if I snapped her neck in the process and made her look at the panther she’d slain. “Look! She has three cubs! Three cubs that now – like your children – will starve because of you!”

“I wouldn’t have hurt the cubs,” she cried as I pulled out my dagger. She held her hand to her bleeding palm.

“Wouldn’t have hurt them? Wouldn’t have hurt them? You’ve doomed them by killing their mother! You would be merciful if you did kill them at this point!” I was foaming at the mouth, beyond furious. I placed the dagger against her throat, so close, applying so much pressure, that it cut and began to bleed. “I should kill you – I should kill you and let your children starve and die! It would only be perfect! It would be the Balance!”

I jumped off the woman and pointed, “Get out. Get out of my sight. If I ever see you again, in these woods or out there in the world, I do not care if your children are watching, I will kill you. So run. Run far away. And pray our paths do not ever cross again.”

As the woman ran north, I shouted, “Stop! Go this way!” and pointed to the west. If she kept running North she would run into the Treants who had been blood thirsty. Perhaps that’s what she deserved, honestly. I turned my gaze to the slain panther and her cubs. I reached down and picked up all three cubs and returned home.

My father was furious with me and scolded me saying that I should not have revealed myself. Neither should I have taken the cubs. I should have let nature decide their fate. I told my father that Nature had decided their fate by putting me there. Two of the cubs died within two weeks, the third, and the runt of the litter however survived. She treated me like her mother and rubbed against me and purred wildly. I named her Skyshadow, because of her crystal blue eyes and dark fur.

Despite my searing hatred of humans, I realize it comes from an ignorance of not knowing how their world works. My name is Shalendra Valsys, and with my best friend, Skyshadow, I will go out to the world beyond the woods and learn about this strange world…

I...I...

I love it!

You captured the ferocity of my character when I neglected to bring it up! Elves always hold this air of mystery, and it's refreshing to see the tables turned so these strange wicked humans are the unusual race. Calling humans 'round ears' is so fitting.

I do want to maintain an Elven vibe, even with the panther. I put 'Sky Shadow' through an Elven translator and it came out as Skui gwathren, and 'Gwathren' sounds like a perfect name for a panther.

I also need a more solid reason for why Shalendra leaves her sacred forest. Got any ideas? What would convince her to step outside the sanctuary of her ancient homeland and stop protecting the forest from the threat of the outside world? She'll likely end up as chaotic good, so orders from a council probably wouldn't convince her.

My plan for Shalendra is to have her ready in the wings should my current character meet an untimely demise (We play a gritty campaign, so it's not impossible). If my current character survives to the end, then Shalendra will be ready for the next campaign!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Have been doing a little more work on this character. Hope I haven't been too prescriptive - go with where the Muse takes you, and if it means changing any of this up in the name of a good story, please feel free! Particularly the history parts.

Varis Evenwood, half-elf bard entertainer
    Str 8 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 16

Skills: Perception, Persuasion, Performance, Deception, Insight, Stealth, Acrobatics

Some history and character notes:
    • Born into a troupe of traveling players, and became their star attraction as he grew older
    • Got used to helping 'liberate' payment when people renaged on their contracts
    • Performances caught the attention of a master bard who took him on and taught him properly
    • Now a journeyman travelling the road for himself
    • Can be sharp tongued and speak truth to power, even when it's unwanted - in the case of some nobles this can be a dangerous pursuit
    • Overwhelmingly curious and will risk anything to find out about a lost piece of lore or the truth behind a legend
    • Takes a real joy in songs of healing - particularly for children and animals
    • Soaks up local gossip and rumours wherever he travels
    • Despite a sense of mischief, he will stand up for those who can't protect themselves - regardless of how much trouble it lands him in!

22. - Top - End - #232

I...I...
    I love it!
    Hooray! I always always always ALWAYS worry about writing females - especially when the female is the lead (whether for a backstory or for one of my many novels "in progress").

You captured the ferocity of my character when I neglected to bring it up! Elves always hold this air of mystery, and it's refreshing to see the tables turned so these strange wicked humans are the unusual race. Calling humans 'round ears' is so fitting.
    Seemed like a good slur to reverse the ol' "pointed ear" joke.

I do want to maintain an Elven vibe, even with the panther. I put 'Sky Shadow' through an Elven translator and it came out as Skui gwathren, and 'Gwathren' sounds like a perfect name for a panther.
    I like it!

I also need a more solid reason for why Shalendra leaves her sacred forest. Got any ideas? What would convince her to step outside the sanctuary of her ancient homeland and stop protecting the forest from the threat of the outside world? She'll likely end up as chaotic good, so orders from a council probably wouldn't convince her.
    My plan for Shalendra is to have her ready in the wings should my current character meet an untimely demise (We play a gritty campaign, so it's not impossible). If my current character survives to the end, then Shalendra will be ready for the next campaign!
    The way I envisioned it (but since you removed the 'quest' part I didn't want to step on any toes, so left the reason 'open' for yourself)...
    But the way I envisioned it - the human female hunter - who she directs away from the Treants (after sparing her life... barely...)
    The woman saying "the shelter doesn't feed us"... and how she mentions kids...
    To me, your character (in my head) realized at that moment, everything she knew about "the world beyond the woods" was dictated to her by others.
    She'd never seen it.
    And the fact a human woman braved very protected woods, in search of food, not for herself, but for her children...
    Opens a tiny crack in your character's heart... which is why she spares her from heading for the Treants...
    And that crack begins to open...
    And make her wonder...
    What is the world like beyond the woods? Is everything she's heard about humans true?
    Here was a woman, risking her life, for her children, because whatever conditions the woman was enduring was not allowing her enough to feed her children.

So it's a curiosity to see the world beyond the woods, for herself.
    To educate herself, and decide for herself, if the world out there really is as bad as she's been told all of these years.

23. - Top - End - #233

BlackDragon

@Tawmis:

That was Great!
    And on a level I really could never match.

A lifedebt (even if a technicality) and (especially) the guaranteed care of his daughter, is an excellent way to start the story.

Spoiler: Nitpicking
    Show

The only thing that made it not Perfect, was:

Wookiees never use their climbing claws as weapons. Doing so is considered both Dishonorable and a sign of Madness.

The mysterious Human would have known that, and instead of extending the Wookiee's claws, would have handed him a strange set of gauntlets. Once the Wookiee put these on, they would react to his Force Aura, and activate.

Weapons (short lightsabers) that look like claws are still weapons, and therefore are acceptable by other Wookiees. Add the classic Bowcaster for ranged - and yeah.

So all that needed to be added/changed might be: (where you think is best)

The Human speaks calmly, asking:
    "Did I cause their blaster attacks to miss you? No. You did. I simply helped you realize that. Take these, and become the weapon. The perfect weapon."

The Wookiee nods, and the Human's smile can be seen even in the shadow of the hood.
    "Excellent. I have a new name for you.
    Maul."

Spoiler: combined
    Show

The Wookiee growled.

“Your daughter? I will see to it personally that she is well taken care of.” the human replied.

There was a long moment, but the Wookiee finally agreed. The man stood up, and gave the Wookiee a piercing look and speaks calmly, asking: "Did I cause their blaster attacks to miss you?' a slight shake of the head.
    "No. You did. I simply helped you realize that.”

The Human stands and extends two strange gauntlets to the Wookiee:
    “Give in to the anger...” the human whispered. “Feel the fury; Take these, and become the weapon.
    The perfect weapon."

The Wookiee these new weapons on and nods, and the Human's smile can be seen even in the shadow of the hood. "Excellent.'' hisses the human "I have a new name for you. Maul."

Does this look good?

Slight Edit to spoiler-ed combo.

I just got done building this Guy in the SW-RPG, and he is
    SCARY
    !!!
    PM me if interested in details.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-29 at 03:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

I am used do Star Wars Saga 3.5E, this is my first 5E D&D game. I am having a doozy of a time trying to formulate my backstory.

Varis Talltree, a male wood elf -

He grew in a small village in the middle of the forests of the Forgotten Realms. His village was not anti- magic, just inherently a non magical place, basically native american. His parents of consider it taboo to make any mention of anything Druid related. Everyone lived of of the land, if one had to killed an animal, it was only for food never for sport. When any life is to be taken, the person taking that life would pray to Silvanus, god of wild Nature that the life force would return to the primal essence nature. He spent most day trained rigorously with the longbow, and slipping in and out of the shadows. Around a month before Varis' 100th name day, things started to get strange. he noticed that when he finished his daily meditation, the vegetation around him was more grown, lush, healthy than when he began. not to mention the wild life being less edge around him. "Everything changed when the fire nation attacked", JK, but really. on Varis' 100th Name day Elementals mercilessly destroyed the village and the forest there in. Amongst the chaos of the fray Varis blacked out, only to awake in some old Ruins with a bow by his side, the likes of which he has never seen before.

I know, cleshay right.
    my GM dropped me a magical bow and its description read:
    Not Long ago after your family and entire village were decimated by a powerful elemental released by an unknown mage. You awoke one morning to find this bow laying beside you. It seems to be magical it creates arrows of energy when you pull back the bow string. You traveled to the large city of Neverwinter to see if you could learn more about it. You were directed to speak with the old sage that runs the Great Library in Neverwinter. He saw the bow and a look of horror passed across his face and he pointed to the Bow and called it The Gom Jabbar then demanded you leave, to the point that he threatened your life. So all you know is its magical and its name is Gom Jabbar

25. - Top - End - #235

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Godrocks911 View Post
    I am used do Star Wars Saga 3.5E, this is my first 5E D&D game.
    Saga is interesting, but I prefer Revised Core. Lots more control over where I can spend my Skill points.

I do steal stuff from Saga to go into Core, for my games.
    Like Saga has better Droid creation options.

See my Hello? thread in Friendly Banter to see some of my comments on various topics, and by all means post!

I am having a doozy of a time trying to formulate my backstory.

<Snip>

I know, cleshay right.
    <Snip>
    So all you know is its magical and its name is Gom Jabbar
    While I'm not very good with writing Backstories like Tawmis, I'm at least ok with mechanical type stuff - like Backgrounds and Class combos. I like going Out There, for interesting results, but not for every Character.

Spoiler: 5e D&D stuff
    Show

This character looks like a strong case for the Outlander (Hunter) Background.
    Background Skills: Athletics and Survival; Elf gives Perception for free.

The story suggests that Druids are out, but maybe Rangers are still accepted?
    Hunter being the most logical choice, but maybe the anti-mage Monster Slayer would also work.
    Skills: Insight, Stealth, and Nature.

But, since no Class was listed, I'll now leave that alone.

The magical bow reminds me of what Hank the Ranger had in the D&D Animated Cartoon.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-28 at 12:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryn View Post
    Have been doing a little more work on this character. Hope I haven't been too prescriptive - go with where the Muse takes you, and if it means changing any of this up in the name of a good story, please feel free! Particularly the history parts.
    Varis Evenwood, half-elf bard entertainer
    Str 8 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 16
    Skills: Perception, Persuasion, Performance, Deception, Insight, Stealth, Acrobatics
    Some history and character notes:
    • Born into a troupe of traveling players, and became their star attraction as he grew older
    • Got used to helping 'liberate' payment when people renaged on their contracts
    • Performances caught the attention of a master bard who took him on and taught him properly
    • Now a journeyman travelling the road for himself
    • Can be sharp tongued and speak truth to power, even when it's unwanted - in the case of some nobles this can be a dangerous pursuit
    • Overwhelmingly curious and will risk anything to find out about a lost piece of lore or the truth behind a legend
    • Takes a real joy in songs of healing - particularly for children and animals
    • Soaks up local gossip and rumours wherever he travels
    • Despite a sense of mischief, he will stand up for those who can't protect themselves - regardless of how much trouble it lands him in!
    I really enjoyed writing this one...
    Because you gave me a lot of clues as to what you wanted, it really helped define him in my head.
    I admit to listening to Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack to capture the "playful" feeling of the character.
    I also took the opportunity to do another "Tawmis-Verse" tie in, though very, very brief - more about Davlan Fallenleaf
    Hopefully I got what you wanted! I try to cover (or mention) each of your listed items!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== ==

My father, Prynin Evenwood, was a handsome individual. A Sun Elf with bronze colored skin and hair that seemed to be forged in wisps of gold and eyes of pure silver, he was quite exotic looking to anyone who wasn’t used to seeing a Sun Elf.

My mother was a human, beautiful in her own right. With long, black, curly hair, a slim figure, with marble white skin and deep green eyes, she was, in many ways very different than my father. She was a singer of a traveling troupe called “The Ascension.” The troupe included several dancers, actors, and a small band, all of which she managed.

My mother and father crossed paths one night while she was performing. She had been singing one of her favorite songs; a ballad called “The Setting Sun” when her eyes met his. Everything about that song seemed to be about him, from talking about “his golden skin” down to “the sunset on your golden locks.” Her breath was stolen, and for the first time in her career, she found herself fumbling over the words.

My father had been just as drawn to her. From most of his travels, exploring the land, he had seen humans as short sighted individuals, too rushed in getting things done, rather than enjoying the beauty of things. This had been the first time that my father had seen someone so lost in their music that the rest of the world could have been burning down, and she would not have cared. She would have kept singing to keep the world calm around her, he felt.

They had shared one night of passion, that night that would eventually lead to my birth. My father stayed with my mother for almost a year, traveling with her, until the day came that a patrol of other Sun Elves, seeking out my father came and pulled him aside and delivered some kind of news. My father came back and told my mother that he would come back for me, but some matters have come up back home that he must attend to. I was three when he left and that was sixteen years ago.

In those sixteen years, however, the troupe had become my family in every sense of the word. It didn’t matter if I was with “Mad” Miech’ten the actor, or “Fabulous” Felina the tight-rope walker, or “The Serpent” Seelina, the dancer – each of them treated me as their son, helping my mother raise me and teaching me each of their skills.

I became a skilled dancer, tight rope walker, actor, singer, and performer in general. I would even mix some of these by acting while walking on the tight rope.

My family filled me with so much confidence, that I became quite the speaker, and very charismatic but not arrogant. I could smile at a woman and without saying a word, hear her catch her breath, as I bowed and kissed her hand. My mother used to tell me I picked up that charm from my father, but I could see it when my mother performed, though she still loved and missed my father, when she sang, her eyes would lock with various men, and she would flirt through her songs and dance, simply because she was naturally charming.

One day, while on the tight rope playing my lute for the crowd, a man caught my attention as he seemed to be eying me with an unusual amount of interest. When I was done performing he approached me and smiled, “You’re quite skilled, boy.”

“Thank you,” I bowed. “I owe it all to my family.”

It took my mother approaching us to realize who the man was. My mother bowed, “Jawn O’livia,” she awed. “What can I do for you?”

Jawn was one of the most well respected and known bards, all throughout the land. His music was legendary, as were the tales he spun. “I am looking to take on an apprentice,” Jawn said, matter-of-factly. “My bones are getting old. Soon, my last song will come, and I will walk the final road. I’ve searched a very long time for someone who would be suitable. Then rumors and stories about you and your son reached these old ears and I knew I had to come see for myself. I am glad to see that my sources were quite correct. Would you allow me to select your son as my apprentice?”

My mother looked at me, “He is old enough to choose. Varis?”

It would be odd after all this time to leave my family. What if my father came back? Would my mother send word to me? But the opportunity to train with Jawn hardly seemed like something I should pass up. He’s never trained anyone because he’s never found anyone worthy. I looked at my mother and she knew my answer. We did one last performance that night together, with Jawn as a special guest, and the crowd roared with joy.

I traveled and trained with Jawn for two years. Once, while performing in front of Royalty, they had made a remark about Jawn’s age, and my tongue got loose, and I spoke about how the King himself looked so old that the gods only kept him alive, because they considered him an ancient treasure. That landed me in jail for a day, until Jawn was able to talk the King into releasing me. Jawn has helped me curve my tongue, when needed, but also showed me, how, during an attack by a small band of orcs, using my tongue to lash insults at them was causing them to get so angry that they would make mistakes, and eventually allowed both Jawn and I to defeat them, without even laying a hand on them. They eventually got so mad that they ran away, furious.

Jawn also taught me to pay attention to rumors and stories, because everything I hear has a great chance at being based on some fraction of truth, no matter how outlandish it might sound, and that as a Bard, I would want to find out more about these stories; as there will be nights where the best way to get a free room is by going to an Inn and telling a great story, so much so that the Inn Keeper gives you a place to stay for the night, for free.

One day, Jawn told me that my journey would begin on my own now and that his time to leave had come. The next morning he was gone. I assume to walk the final road, as he told my mother. So for several weeks I traveled the road by myself, earning my keep by using the skills taught by my family and by Jawn.

Which leads us to today. One of my favorite things to do was find orphanages and sing and perform for them. Children who have no family, no mother, and no father – these were the ones that pulled at my heart strings the most. So every time I come to a new city, a new town, it’s always the first thing I look for. If I can make their lives brighter, if just for a moment, then I feel like my heart is full.

I was performing at Lliira’s Haven when three humans kicked down the door and demanded payment for “protection.”

“You’ve made a mistake today,” I said, setting my lute down.

“Who’s this clown?” One of the men laughed, shoving one of the female workers to the ground. “You hire someone to try and stop us?”

“No one has hired me,” I said, cranking my neck. “I am here for the children.”

“You can have the children, we’re here for the gold,” the second one laughed.

“I came here to bring hope, only to see you three steal from those who have nothing,” I snarled. “I am giving you one chance – just one chance – to realize you’ve made a mistake, and turn around and leave. Reflect on your lives. Change your ways. Forever.”

“Oh, we got ourselves a tough guy over here?” the third human said, cracking his knuckles.

I will do this with minimal bloodshed. I glanced around the room quickly. “Kids, please go to that corner over there. I am going to settle this.”

The first human lunged at me, and I picked up my guitar and smashed it across his head. He was dazed, and quickly I grabbed some of the strings and wrapped it around his throat. He began choking as I braced myself behind him.

Here comes the second one. Blindly charging behind me, I kick off the first one and grab one of the wooden beams above. The second collides into the first. I drop down on the second with a knee to the back of his head, which rattles his brain. I look up at the third one and smile. He roars and charges me also – none of them, thankfully – brought weapons, thinking there was only women here and no one to put up a fight. I pull a dagger from my boot and throw it at his inner thigh. He stops and howls in pain as I grab the chair I was sitting on when I was performing and bring it across his face. Solid oak. He stands there looking at me, as if too ignorant to realize he’s been knocked out, before collapsing.

The kids cheer loudly.

One of the women approaches me, “But they will come back. More furious than before!”

“Don’t worry,” I smiled. “I will take care of it.”

I stack them into my wagon, tied up by the clothes line that the orphanage used to dry their clothes and brought them out to the woods and tied them up together.

I poured honey on them as they screamed at me.

I sat down and began to play a song that my mother said my father used to sing; something about summoning animals. I kindly explained that soon bears would come and want the honey and see them as something in the way of their honey and attack them.

They didn’t believe me until the first bear showed up.

“I said I’d only give you one chance,” I packed my guitar and began to leave. “Enjoy being lunch for the bear.”

“Stop!” the begged. “Please! We can change! I swear!”

“You will work for the orphanage, properly protecting them from people like you,” I said calmly as the bear began to get closer. “You will return everything you’ve stolen from them.”

They agreed and I cut them free.

I looked at the bear and smiled.

“Thank you, Davlan,” I said, as a Halfling emerged from being the bear. Davlan Fallenleaf was a Ghostwise Halfling I had met a few days ago. We had traveled together in the same direction and were parting ways in the town. After the fight, I found him again in the town to ask for a favor for him to summon a bear and keep it controlled, to scare some thugs.

Davlan agreed, simply because it was worth it to see three tough men wet their trousers.

From there, Davlan and I parted ways again, and I continued on the road again... Nothing like being on the road again…

27. - Top - End - #237

@Tawmis:
    That was Great!
    And on a level I really could never match.
    A lifedebt (even if a technicality) and (especially) the guaranteed care of his daughter, is an excellent way to start the story.
    Spoiler: Nitpicking
    Show

The only thing that made it not Perfect, was:
    Wookiees never use their climbing claws as weapons. Doing so is considered both Dishonorable and a sign of Madness.
    The mysterious Human would have known that, and instead of extending the Wookiee's claws, would have handed him a strange set of gauntlets. Once the Wookiee put these on, they would react to his Force Aura, and activate.
    Weapons (short lightsabers) that look like claws are still weapons, and therefore are acceptable by other Wookiees. Add the classic Bowcaster for ranged - and yeah.
    So all that needed to be added/changed might be: (where you think is best)
    The Human speaks calmly, asking:
    "Did I cause their blaster attacks to miss you? No. You did. I simply helped you realize that. Take these, and become the weapon. The perfect weapon."
    The Wookiee nods, and the Human's smile can be seen even in the shadow of the hood.
    "Excellent. I have a new name for you.
    Maul."

Spoiler: combined
    Show

Everything before the Daughter part is the same.
    There was a long moment, but the Wookiee finally agreed. The man stood up, and gave the Wookiee a piercing look and speaks calmly, asking: "Did I cause their blaster attacks to miss you? No. You did.
    I simply helped you realize that.” The Human extends two strange gauntlets to the Wookiee: “Give in to the anger...” the human whispered. “Feel the fury; Take these, and become the weapon. The perfect weapon."
    The Wookiee these new weapons on and nods, and the Human's smile can be seen even in the shadow of the hood.
    "[i]Excellent[i].'' hisses the human "I have a new name for you. Maul."

Does this look good?
    Yeah! By all means change it up in regards to claws to glove if that fits more!

I do love you read part of it differently than I intended (but intentionally left to interpretation) - it's not the Wookiee that's deflecting those blasts - it's the human doing it (using the Force). He came for the Wookiee sensing the Force in the Wookiee - so he was "defending" the Wookiee out of his own interest. But I purposely left it vague so that it can be taken as either the Wookiee was unconsciously doing it - or the human was doing it.

28. - Top - End - #238

BlackDragon

Yeah! By all means change it up in regards to claws to glove if that fits more!

I do love you read part of it differently than I intended (but intentionally left to interpretation) - it's not the Wookiee that's deflecting those blasts - it's the human doing it (using the Force). He came for the Wookiee sensing the Force in the Wookiee - so he was "defending" the Wookiee out of his own interest. But I purposely left it vague so that it can be taken as either the Wookiee was unconsciously doing it - or the human was doing it.
    I changed that part based on how I have this Sith would-be Emperor's personality set up.
    Yes, he sensed the Force in the Wookiee, but instead of just using his own power to deflect the bolts, he actually used a version of Telepathy to activate the force within the Wookiee, and getting said Wookiee to do so, instead. That way, the Wookiee would not only feel how that worked, he would maybe respect (fear) the human a little more. It served his purpose more by doing that.

Spoiler: Development?
    Show

These are entirely optional.
    But I could use all the help I can get.

(Vriellimor) Maul is like a 6th Level Character when the Party meets him. (they are starting 3rd)

Levels 1 to 3
    I'm figuring that Maul is taken to Corucent (where his daughter is given a nice safe place to stay, and access to education not normally available to Wookiees) but his reception is far from welcoming by most people already there. And he's constantly harassed and Hazed by several groups of Humans.

This causes Maul to develop a real, lasting hatred of other Races, especially Humans.

Levels 4-6
    Perhaps a self appointed revenge-based mission against Trandoshans on Kashyyyk ?
    Thinks: "They want to keep Score on kills? Fine!"
    Growls "I'll make sure I'm the winner!"
    Starts earning the name Maul....

Level 5
    Maul is sent on first official Mission: Naboo (start of Phantom Menace)
    (Nute Gunray, the Neimoidian Viceroy of The Trade Federation is not informed of Maul's existence.)

Side Project Two
    "Wookiee Daughter". (Ieldaenmirri)
    Since she's also most likely Force Sensitive, just young, the Human is making sure that she gets exposure to situations that encourage her to learn about and develop her innate abilities.
    Technically not an Apprentice, so the Human has no worries about the Sith Rule of Two.

Perhaps a Force Adept tutor? (Race left open)
    (Explanation: Force Adepts are skilled in the use of the Force, but not the ways of either Jedi or Sith)

This was lots of fun. Thanks!
    I'll read through some of the other posts, as I have time.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-28 at 04:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Godrocks911 View Post
    I am used do Star Wars Saga 3.5E, this is my first 5E D&D game. I am having a doozy of a time trying to formulate my backstory.
    He grew in a small village in the middle of the forests of the Forgotten Realms. His village was not anti- magic, just inherently a non magical place, basically native american. His parents of consider it taboo to make any mention of anything Druid related. Everyone lived of of the land, if one had to killed an animal, it was only for food never for sport. When any life is to be taken, the person taking that life would pray to Silvanus, god of wild Nature that the life force would return to the primal essence nature. He spent most day trained rigorously with the longbow, and slipping in and out of the shadows. Around a month before Varis' 100th name day, things started to get strange. he noticed that when he finished his daily meditation, the vegetation around him was more grown, lush, healthy than when he began. not to mention the wild life being less edge around him. "Everything changed when the fire nation attacked", JK, but really. on Varis' 100th Name day Elementals mercilessly destroyed the village and the forest there in. Amongst the chaos of the fray Varis blacked out, only to awake in some old Ruins with a bow by his side, the likes of which he has never seen before.
    I know, cleshay right.
    Not Long ago after your family and entire village were decimated by a powerful elemental released by an unknown mage. You awoke one morning to find this bow laying beside you. It seems to be magical it creates arrows of energy when you pull back the bow string. You traveled to the large city of Neverwinter to see if you could learn more about it. You were directed to speak with the old sage that runs the Great Library in Neverwinter. He saw the bow and a look of horror passed across his face and he pointed to the Bow and called it The Gom Jabbar then demanded you leave, to the point that he threatened your life. So all you know is its magical and its name is Gom Jabbar
    A few things; clearly your DM is a fan of the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS cartoon...?
    The energy bow is right from the cartoon in the 80's... and by the sounds of it, since you're not a Druid (I assume?), but are honed to Nature (and use a longbow), it sounds like the Class you're headed for is Ranger. Which is what Hank, from the D&D Cartoon was "Classified" as. So naturally, the visions I have your character have of the man on the Nightmare is none other than Venger from the D&D Cartoon. You mentioned that your DM said some wizard does the attack on your town... So he can use the idea that the vision is true (it's someone who looks like Venger), or you were having premonitions (glimpses into the future) of an attack that was coming (but like dreams, they often don't make a lot of sense... so the dream could have been foretelling the Wizard's attack, who perhaps doesn't look like Venger). It's just I couldn't help making a reference... And then when the man at the Great Library in Neverwinter calls the weapon "the poison of magic" - that's a reference to the weapon's name your DM gave the energy bow... because in DUNE "Gom Jabbar" is a type of poison. So I have no idea if your DM intentionally named it that.
    I did use some Forgotten Realms history - so the Retreat to Evermeet is described here. And information on the Spellplague is here. Not at all necessary to know - only linking it for your personal information (since you had mentioned D&D is not normally your thing!)

ALLLLLLLL of that said, you need to know NONE of the above of what I just mentioned to enjoy your character background I wrote!
    As always, feel free to use, not use, change it up, etc! I'd just love feedback if you have any!
    Enjoy!
    ================================================== =

I’ve never understood why my parents and the entire village for that matter seemed to be against Druids, despite living in a similar nature to them. For example, we lived off the land; only killed an animal for food, never for sport; and those we were forced to kill, we prayed to Silvanus, The Oak Father, better known as the God of Nature, to take their spirit and return their soul to the primal essence of nature, to be reborn, but that’s how life was in Crestford.

When I was sixteen I began to look into the history of our village, curious why we had turned away from magic. Turns out, several decades ago, the founders of the village I called home, had left the Llewyrrwood, now known as Neverwinter Wood. It turns out there was something called The Retreat, in which almost all of the elves fled to Evermeet. After the events of the Spellplague, not only did Elves return to Llewyrrwood, which by then had taken the name Neverwinter Wood, but an abundance of Fey from their ancestral home also returned and a war broke out with the Dark Fey. So much chaos and magic was thrown around that the founders of Crestford decided to leave and turn their backs on Druids and magic, as it was clearly something that could not be controlled.

Even in Crestford, I always felt out of place. The friendships I forged were often short lived, as people found me unusual. I spoke of weird dreams I began having at the age of twenty one, where I saw what looked to be a man, with a horn on the side of his head, riding a black, flying horse, with fire in its eyes and on its hooves. When I shared my dream with my parents, they took me to the Elder, who performed some ritual to “drive away the dark spirit” in me. Whatever he’d done, it stopped the visions from coming.

For about twenty nine years; on my fiftieth celebration, the vision came back. Rather than share this with my parents again, I kept it to myself. I struggled with holding a normal conversation with people, which made me an outcast among my own people. I learned to be alone, practicing day in and day out how to better myself with a longbow. I would hunt animals, without killing them, just to see if I could track them and get as close as I could to them. There wasn’t much more I could do when no one cared to be my friend.

I eventually began to even feel a rift between me and my family. My older brother often asked me what was wrong when he caught me gazing out into the heavens. He’d say my eyes were vacant as if my spirit were on a journey without my body.

Several months before the mark of my turn of one hundred seasons, I had been out hunting alone, as I always did, not for sport or food, simply to test my skill when a gorgeous elf stepped out from inside of a tree. “This is your favorite spot,” he said, scaring off the two deer I had been following. “The animals always come here, don’t they? You think it’s because there is plenty to eat?” He seemed to be reading my mind. “That’s amusing.” He smiled and looked at me, and I found I couldn’t move, react, or even speak. “Did you ever wonder if perhaps they came because of you? That to them, they were playing a game of tag with you?” He shook his head, and it seemed as if miniature stars fell from his hair. “No, your people have told you otherwise, haven’t they? They’ve closed the door. But you; you’re different. You feel it in you, don’t you? You know that’s what truly makes you different than them. You,” his expression changed to one of great sadness, “you will need to be strong in the coming months. Know that I wish things could be different. But Fate, I cannot change. Destiny is coming for you, and it will be at a cost. You will feel lost in the woods of your future, but know, just as you have always done, you will find the path again. I do wish it could be different,” he said solemnly as he turned around and walked back into the tree.

As soon as he was gone, I collapsed to the ground, finally able to move, breathe, and even talk. I ran up to the tree he had appeared from and vanished to, but there was nothing different about the tree. It looked and felt like every other tree in the forest.

“What had I just witness?” I asked no one but myself. Was I losing my mind? I sat down and took a deep breath to clear my head. Breathe in, breathe out; breathe in, breathe out. I took one more deep breath and opened my eyes and was started to see the deer who had run off were sitting right next to me, and the grass all around me had grown.

I jumped to my feet, “What’s going on?” I found myself talking to myself. The deer slowly got up, not even startled by my movement and looked at me as if trying to mentally explain what was happening. I ran back to Crestford, desperate to tell my parents, but as soon as I barged in the door, they gave me a knowing look and I decided to keep it a secret. For the next few months, each time I sat in the glade, the animals came to me and sat with me.

On the day that marked the turning of one hundred seasons, my peaceful time at the glade had been interrupted by the sounds of explosions and screams. The animals around me quickly scampered away as I grabbed my bow and ran back towards Crestford. As I reached Crestford all I saw was something that appeared to be a giant fire elemental of some kind. There was an explosion that sent me flying backwards. I heard a disgusting crunching sound, which I knew was my head making contact with a rock on the floor before blacking out.

When I awoke, I expected to be near Crestford, but I awoke in stone ruins that I did not recognize. Next to me was my bow, which I picked up – and immediately noticed that something was different. It wasn’t my bow as I had assumed. This one was different – plain in design – one thing seemed off. It was missing a bow string. When I heard a crackle behind me, I instinctively spun and pulled on where the bow string should have been and was surprised to see an energy string and arrow appear. It startled me so much I released my hold and shot the energy arrow into the air, which sent the squirrel who had made the sound scurrying away.

It took me several days, but it turned out, despite not being familiar with the Ruins, I was still in the same woods and eventually found my way back to Crestford. The entire village had been decimated. The fires were out, but the buildings were still smoldering. I found the bodies of my mother and father in the house; my brother was found just outside, but there was no sign of my sister. Unfortunately, because of the fires and whatever else marched through Crestford, tracking her would be impossible, especially if she did escape, as I had hoped, and was looking not to be tracked by whatever attacked Crestford. I spent several days trying to find signs of my sister, but there was none to be found; even most of the animals of the woods seemed to have fled. I needed to find some answers as to what might have happened, and perhaps information on this energy bow.

Having read the history of Crestford, I knew – if I was still near my home – that the city of Neverwinter was a major city, with wizards, clerics, and all kinds that could potentially help me identity this bow and the creature or creatures that destroyed Crestford and murdered my family.

Upon reaching Neverwinter, I learned of the Great Library, where I approached a human, ancient by the looks of it and explained what happened at Crestford. He offered a number of possibilities and explained that there had been a series of similar attacks all across the land, as if some sorcerer or wizard or warlock was in search of something or someone.

When I showed the human my bow, he suddenly reeled back, “The poison of magic! Gom Jabbar! Gom Jabbar!” He pointed, “Get that out of here! Begone! Begone before I ring the alarm and have you arrested and taken away forever!”

I had tried to ask what he was afraid of – what he had meant – but he turned and rang the alarm. I was forced to flee.

I’ve spent days now, surviving off the land, wondering if I would find anyone who might understand what’s happening…

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday Warlock View Post
    Salutations! I have an idea that I'm a little unsure about. I've got an idea for a druid that failed wizard school. He is from a old wizarding family and is kind of very bad at wizard magic. The worst thing about it for him though, is the way that his family just assumes that if he just tried harder he'd be good at it. I'm just not sure about name or why he became a druid or anything quite like that, so I'd quite appreciate it if you could help.
    All I needed was the Race (which I got from you via Private Message), because I already had an idea how to make this all work...
    As someone who loves animals, the idea of a failing wizard, and how you might become a Druid was very easy to me...
    I essentially wrote what my ideal life, in a fantasy world would probably be like...!
    As always, I'd love feedback!
    What you liked, what you hated, what worked, what didn't! Please let me know!
    Otherwise, enjoy!
    ===============================================
    I twiddled my fingers and waiting for the big fireball; even a spark at this point, but just like always, nothing happened.

My name is Daryus Sunborn and I come from a very long bloodline of Wizards. My father, Airuk, threw his arms up in frustration. “You’re not even trying! You’re just saying the words without feeling them! You don’t just read a spell book! The words you read are an extension of who you are! You’re not reading the spell book to children gathered around your feet, you’re trying to manipulate the very magical fabric that twists and turns in the air around you!”

Matters at home seemed to get worse, when my younger brother, five years younger than me, named Ayron, began showing signs of shaping magic. At first, it was horrible living at home. Everything was, “See, if your younger brother can do it, so can you!” Eventually, when I still wasn’t showing signs of being able to control magic, my father stopped giving me any attention at all – both positive or negative, and soon I just faded from his mind entirely.

I would spend days away from home, just being in the nearby woods and come home after I had run out of food, just to see if my father missed me. He never did. He never took notice that I was gone. My mother at least took notice that I smelled as if I had not showered in days. Being alienated by my father, and even my mother to some degree, made it so making friends was difficult. I was socially awkward when I tried to talk to people, quickly running out of things to say, and just standing there in mutual silence as they looked for a way to get away from me.

I began spending more and more time alone, walking in the woods, away from people, who I didn’t understand and who didn’t seem to understand me. I found more comfort in the song of the woods, listening to the birds singing, the insects chirping, as the squirrels racing on the branches above me.

One night, while I sat in the glade, surrounded by animals, I heard screams coming from the direction of my village. I quickly stood to my feet and raced to the edge of the clearing where I could see the Poison Blade Brigade – a tribe of green skinned forest goblins – was attacking the town. My heart raced in my chest when suddenly, on each side of me stood a bear, a bobcat and several other animals. I felt a nudge behind me, and the moose that had been standing close to me, seemed to be gesturing to me to get on its back.

I did so, and grasped tightly to its antlers and yelled for an attack. Not only had the animals next to me rushing out with me, but bursting from the treetops, hummingbirds flew like arrows, and rabbits and squirrels jumped from the brush, dodging and weaving the attacks that eventually turned in our direction.

In the middle of casting a spell, my father had been struck by an arrow and spun around. My younger brother had tried to remember the spells, but the fighting had disrupted his thoughts, making it impossible for him to concentrate. I brought the moose between the goblins near my family and it reared up, bringing its hooves crushing the skull of the two of the goblins. The hummingbird were hitting them and moving away quicker than the goblins could react, sometimes blinding them with strikes to their eyes, while the rabbits and squirrels bit deep with their small fangs; bears and bobcats shredding through the goblins that were too dumb to flee.

It took almost an hour, but the battle had been won. My father stood, staring at me on the back of a moose. “Son?” he muttered.

It’d been the first time he’d called me “son” in over ten years.

“I think I know why,” I began to explain “I could never summon magic the way you do. I come from the same bloodline, but I don’t have what it takes to be a wizard, because my heart was never in it. Nature is what I have always been close to, father. People,” I shrugged, “I don’t understand. But animals,” I stroke the rough mane of the moose, “them, I can understand. My place isn’t here. Not anymore. It never was. I was born from you, but I was never truly a part of you. My heart, my soul, they’re a part of this land. I see that now. My journey takes me elsewhere.”

I slid off the moose and hugged my family farewell. It’d been the first time that I’d seen my father cry. Ever.

“I’m sorry,” I heard him whisper, as he hugged me tighter than he ever has. “I pushed you too hard. I never gave you a chance to be who you wanted to be. I hope you can forgive me.”

“You showed me who I was meant to be,” I said as I stepped back and climbed the moose again. “Maybe there was an easier way, but the roads we take are sometimes the most difficult, and those are the ones where we are truly rewarded. Farewell, father.”

I rode away on the back of the moose back into the woods, near the glade, where an elf, adorned in green had been waiting. “Said farewell to your family, then?”

“I did,” I replied, somewhat shocked. “And you are…?”

“Yes, apologies,” the elf chuckled. “Like you, I am not accustomed to people. My name is Evarys Treehammer, and I am the one who is going to teach you about how to become a proper Druid.”