New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default 3D Modeling minis

So I recently came across Heroforge. A site where you can create your own mini. I was wondering if there was a program similar to that that will actually give you the .stl file. I have my own 3D printer and have been creating my own and printing them. Doing it all by hand is very time consuming and can be tedious so if there was a 3D modeling software like the one they use on their site it would really really help. Plus I don't want to spend $50 on a single mini.
    Fighter: *Rolls a 1*
    DM: "Roll damage"
    Fighter: "If I kill our cleric, can I cleave"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3D Modeling minis

Quote Originally Posted by Meierme176 View Post
    So I recently came across Heroforge. A site where you can create your own mini. I was wondering if there was a program similar to that that will actually give you the .stl file. I have my own 3D printer and have been creating my own and printing them. Doing it all by hand is very time consuming and can be tedious so if there was a 3D modeling software like the one they use on their site it would really really help. Plus I don't want to spend $50 on a single mini.
    Just about any 3D modeling program can get you to an STL file pretty quickly. I'd use Sketchup or Blender (both free), and save in the collada .dae format. Then, convert to .stl with any number of things that can do that (3D printer software often can do that), and call it a day.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Just about any 3D modeling program can get you to an STL file pretty quickly. I'd use Sketchup or Blender (both free), and save in the collada .dae format. Then, convert to .stl with any number of things that can do that (3D printer software often can do that), and call it a day.
    Yeah that is want I currently do, I am more looking for a program that has models already in it where you can change how you look.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah that is want I currently do, I am more looking for a program that has models already in it where you can change how you look.
    If you're willing to customize with Sketchup/Blender, take a look at Thingiverse and the other 3D model sites. It at least gives you something to work from.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    If you're willing to customize with Sketchup/Blender, take a look at Thingiverse and the other 3D model sites. It at least gives you something to work from.
    yeah, that is what I have been doing, I was just trying to streamline it. I sis just come up with the idea to create a Skyrim character to how you see fit and download that. However I don't know how to do that yet and have been searching the web. If you know how I'd love some advice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, that is what I have been doing, I was just trying to streamline it. I sis just come up with the idea to create a Skyrim character to how you see fit and download that. However I don't know how to do that yet and have been searching the web. If you know how I'd love some advice.
    I don't know about Skyrim, but there are games which are intentionally moddable, and store their 3D models as easily accessed .dae files. Age of Wonders 3 does this, as just one example. So there's at least another source. I suspect there are even modding tools which let you put together the files for games, which you can then use for something else. Absent that, I am at least fairly sure that there are games which store character models in various poses, and then store other models that can be inserted into hands, inserted on heads, or whatever else on the equipment side of things.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2016-06-29 at 09:28 PM.

-- ChubbyRain