New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default GITP Community Monster Class Competition Discussion Thread

Last edited by Stycotl; 2011-06-28 at 03:14 PM.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Community Monster Class Competition Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Expressing interest.

It's a tricky category to work within though. There's not many air subtype creatures out there, and even fewer interesting ones.

So I think it bears digging through the books to find something that fits. I presume anything that could go with 'blowing in the wind' is allowed? Or perhaps we'll be scored on how well a monster class fits the idea?
    anything that you think can bend to the theme; i'm not going to be a nazi about how closely it fits the theme––that'll be for the voters.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

The monster class itself must be your own work, though as mentioned above, it can be based off of a preexisting monster. It must, however, be created fresh for this contest––no previously made, previously posted monster classes.
    Does "no previously posted monster classes" disallow creating a new version of a monster someone has previously created a monster class for? I suspect not from context, but I'd rather be clear.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Does "no previously posted monster classes" disallow creating a new version of a monster someone has previously created a monster class for? I suspect not from context, but I'd rather be clear.
    you mean, redesigning a monster class that you or someone else have already done? that should be fine, so long as there are significant divergences from the initial monster class.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

does everyone understand the rule set? is there anything that could be clarified or fixed?

would you guys like it if i broadened the topic to include any elemental theme, seeing as this is the first contest and we're just warming up?

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

6. - Top - End - #6

That might help. As is, it's really restrictive, because it's hard to match the theme, with the relatively scarce supply of air-based monsters (even a browse of the recommended lists for Elemental Plane of Air and Pandemonium turns up very little that could be considered worthwhile).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ok, i'll change it to anything elemental-related, again in whatever fashion you perceive that to mean.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'll get working on one when I get the chance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

just a reminder; you guys have 5 days (including today) to get a monster class up. pick something easy and get it up today or tomorrow.

easy in the case of a monster class just means low CR, since CR equals class levels. pick a CR 3 monster and then you only need to make a 3-level class.

some tips: this month's theme is elemental. so pretty much any plant creature could reasonably be considered part of the element of wood. pretty much any flying creature could be stretched to be elemental air. burrowing creatures could be elemental earth. etc.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    just a reminder; you guys have 5 days (including today) to get a monster class up. pick something easy and get it up today or tomorrow.

easy in the case of a monster class just means low CR, since CR equals class levels. pick a CR 3 monster and then you only need to make a 3-level class.

some tips: this month's theme is elemental. so pretty much any plant creature could reasonably be considered part of the element of wood. pretty much any flying creature could be stretched to be elemental air. burrowing creatures could be elemental earth. etc.
    Could a Pyroclastic Dragon be Elemental fire?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Could a Pyroclastic Dragon be Elemental fire?
    'course it could.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

since there is only one entry so far will the contest be extened a few more days? it seems...kinda odd to start the voting poll with only a single person to vote for
    Last edited by Togath; 2011-07-21 at 03:49 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

13. - Top - End - #13

Daemon

I've been fiddling with a bralani eladrin but I've got a fair bit on my plate lately.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    since there is only one entry so far will the contest be extened a few more days? it seems...kinda odd to start the voting poll with only a single person to vote for
    if there are 3 or more people that tell me that they have unfinished entries that can be done before the end of the month, i'll extend it. otherwise we'll just give the victory to soft serve and hope that more people participate next time.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I had been considering a winter wolf monster class.
    edit: would +6 str, +2 dex, +4 con, -2 dex, +3 natural armor and a weak breath weapon be overpowered if spread out over 6 levels?(with other more stand class features such as skill and combat style[trip, disarm et cetera] boosts)
    Last edited by Togath; 2011-07-23 at 12:19 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

if there are 3 or more people that tell me that they have unfinished entries that can be done before the end of the month, i'll extend it. otherwise we'll just give the victory to soft serve and hope that more people participate next time.
    I think that it would help to open the entry up more at the start. I'm betting at least a few people weren't thrilled with the original contest being creatures of elemental air and didn't even subscribe. We're going to need less restriction at the start If we want to build up a following.

Also, If I do win by default, don't bother making the drawing. I want the prize to be because I won, not because nobody else even challenged me within the allotted time.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-07-24 at 01:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I had been considering a winter wolf monster class.
    edit: would +6 str, +2 dex, +4 con, -2 dex, +3 natural armor and a weak breath weapon be overpowered if spread out over 6 levels?(with other more stand class features such as skill and combat style[trip, disarm et cetera] boosts)
    that seems reasonable. just remember, try to give it some unique abilities that fit with its nature, that will help to bring it up to a CR 6 monster.

I think that it would help to open the entry up more at the start. I'm betting at least a few people weren't thrilled with the original contest being creatures of elemental air and didn't even subscribe. We're going to need less restriction at the start If we want to build up a following.
    all right; next month's contest will be a little looser themed.

Also, If I do win by default, don't bother making the drawing. I want the prize to be because I won, not because nobody else even challenged me within the allotted time.
    sounds reasonable.

we have one possible for this month. any other takers?

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

18. - Top - End - #18

Daemon

we have one possible for this month. any other takers?
    As I said I've been working on my bralani on and off. So with the winter wolf that's two.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

The winter Wolf should be finished later tonight
    Meow(Steam page)

20. - Top - End - #20

I was halfway through a monster class for this competition when I decided the ideas at work would better suit a base class. I'm afraid no other ideas are springing to mind. I'll participate for the next one, though.

Rather than throw in a random idea, what about having people brainstorm ideas for the competition topic, and we'll decide by consensus/vote?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I've finished the winter wolf class, but I'm not sure how to add a picture, should I just go with a description of what it looks like, or should I go try find a picture for it?
    edit; I posted the class but the table stretches the screen a little nevermind, I fixed the stretching problem
    Last edited by Togath; 2011-07-25 at 08:23 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

i've been away for a while on account of finals and a trip to california for a funeral. but i'm back now and will try to catch this project up.

Rather than throw in a random idea, what about having people brainstorm ideas for the competition topic, and we'll decide by consensus/vote?
    i actually like that idea quite a bit and will include that in the voting thread.

I've finished the winter wolf class, but I'm not sure how to add a picture, should I just go with a description of what it looks like, or should I go try find a picture for it?
    in order to add a pic, just use (img][/img) tags, replacing the parentheses with brackets. you put the image's www address in between the tags, requiring it to already be on the web somewhere. generally, it is better to link to your own image account somewhere, like deviantart, etc, so that you are more or less assured that it won't be taken down without your notice.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

here is this month's contest, The Thing That Should Not Be.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2011-09-03 at 12:07 PM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

The phrasing of the first "rule" is such that you must build a class that BECOMES an Aberration, which does not fit the examples listed.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm confused, should the first passage read:

...must possess the Aberation type or the (Augmented, Aberration) subtype...
    ?

Or am I completely misconstruing something?

This is only after rereading it based on Soft Serve's entry, as originally, it seemed that you were required to create something with the (Aberration) subtype, which is just odd...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I assumed it was just a typo. Otherwise, that seems like a kind of odd requirement. "It can be anything but something that naturally is an aberration" doesn't seem to make any sense to me.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-09-04 at 03:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I want to do the Slender Man; only problem is, it would be a 22-level class...

Ah, screw it, I'll do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I want to do the Slender Man; only problem is, it would be a 22-level class...

Ah, screw it, I'll do it.
    Yay, I'll have some competition.

Hope it goes well!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    The phrasing of the first "rule" is such that you must build a class that BECOMES an Aberration, which does not fit the examples listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    I'm confused, should the first passage read:

?

Or am I completely misconstruing something?

This is only after rereading it based on Soft Serve's entry, as originally, it seemed that you were required to create something with the (Aberration) subtype, which is just odd...
    I assumed it was just a typo. Otherwise, that seems like a kind of odd requirement. "It can be anything but something that naturally is an aberration" doesn't seem to make any sense to me.
    correct. it was a typo. it was supposed to read [i]"aberration type or augmented subtype." fixed it. thanks for the heads up.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, in the future Stycotl, something a friend of mine (Who can make themselves known if they wish) brought up, it might make more sense to focus on a certain concept than a specific creature type. Sort of like "Creatures of the Underdark" instead, since that may allow for more variation.

Just so that all the monster classes don't end up looking the same was the reasoning. They still might not end up looking the same, but it could definitely be a problem.