New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Its too soon to judge but I can't identify in what was spoiled so far. Which I don't mind, I needed to cut on MTG cards lol

I know one of my friend, a huge history nerd. He would love that Boros school division
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-02-18 at 10:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Is that a dwarf chick with a minigun that shoots magic scrolls? Who is apparently also a history major?

I have found my people.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Is that a dwarf chick with a minigun that shoots magic scrolls? Who is apparently also a history major?

I have found my people.
    I believe the minigun is actually made of scrolls and shoots Lightning Helixes.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    I believe the minigun is actually made of scrolls and shoots Lightning Helixes.
    Meant to say "shoots from a scroll" but yes you are correct.

It's just so beautiful.

I will say, analyzing the cards a bit. It's weird to me that each of them is showcasing what a group of college students are doing. While Prismari Command seems to me to be one bearded lady in high heels and some light show behind her. I may not be seeing it correctly.

I'm guessing it's the orc lady on the banner for Prismari since every other card has the banner character on it. I'm guessing the college hero?
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2021-02-18 at 11:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Prismari are the art kids, so the command is showing a performance, just like how the silverquill are pictured entering the arena of a slam poetry tournament.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had a marginally actually-interesting match against a Tibalt's Trickery-based "Zombie Hunt" variant exactly once, and it was a remote fluke.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Troll in the Playground

Text:
    Spoiler
    Show

Emagbus (1)(u)
    Sorcery
    While you're searching your library, you may cast Emagbus from your library.
    You and any number of players of your choice shuffle all cards they own into their library. Shuffle Emagbus into your library. At the beginning of your next end step, you may reveal a sorcery with mana value 2 or less and copy it. You may cast the copy.

EDIT: Should have made that "search your library for a sorcery with mana value 2 or less and copy it."
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2021-02-20 at 08:57 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Banned

Spoiler: Isnt there a custom card thread?
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post

Text:
    Spoiler
    Show

Emagbus (1)(u)
    Sorcery
    You and any number of players of your choice shuffle all cards they own into their library. Shuffle Emagbus into your library. At the beginning of your next end step, you may reveal a sorcery with mana value 2 or less and copy it. You may cast the copy.

EDIT: Should have made that "search your library for a sorcery with mana value 2 or less and copy it."

You may cast the copy.

With what? You just shuffled all your lands into your library.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Text:
    Spoiler
    Show

Emagbus (1)(u)
    Sorcery

Way, way too strong. It's up there with Balance and other Alpha spells.

Imagine my opponent is an aggro deck that empties their hand, so I t3 crack a fetch, shuffle their field away including their lands, and I still get the land from my fetch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post

Imagine my opponent is an aggro deck that empties their hand, so I t3 crack a fetch, shuffle their field away including their lands, and I still get the land from my fetch.
    Well, what you could do is this:

Get 2 plains and 2 islands.

Float 2 white mana somehow (might need to rewrite Emagbus to require mana for the copy of the spell you cast with it)
    Cast Emagbus chosing yourself and your opponent
    Cast Shahrazad for ww
    Start a new subgamE of Magic with a full library and all your stuff
    Repeat this process X times.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2021-02-20 at 10:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post

All they own. That includes their hand, and yours. But yes you would still get your land.

How does sorcery-speed cast from library work with this wording? how does end step sorcery speed casting work as well?

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    All they own. That includes their hand, and yours. But yes you would still get your land.

How does sorcery-speed cast from library work with this wording? how does end step sorcery speed casting work as well?
    Might need to add that in. Also, in order to cast Shahrazad, I'd probably need it to be castable without paying the cost.

Do you get to mulligan in the subgame? Maybe have an alternative cost of Emagbus being to skip your next turn? That way you could fetchland the card and cast it turn 1 of the Shahrazad subgame? Give it split second just in case and the copy you cast too?

So that would be

Turn 1 main game: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame 1: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame 2: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame 3: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame n-1: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame n: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame n+1: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad?

Though if you're playing blue, you might have to make sure they don't Choke you.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2021-02-20 at 11:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ettin in the Playground

Might need to add that in. Also, in order to cast Shahrazad, I'd probably need it to be castable without paying the cost.

Do you get to mulligan in the subgame? Maybe have an alternative cost of Emagbus being to skip your next turn? That way you could fetchland the card and cast it turn 1 of the Shahrazad subgame? Give it split second just in case and the copy you cast too?

So that would be

Turn 1 main game: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame 1: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame 2: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame 3: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame n-1: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame n: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad
    Turn 1 subgame n+1: Fetchland, Emagbus, Shahrazad?

Though if you're playing blue, you might have to make sure they don't Choke you.
    What happens when you create that many subgames?
    Can you lose by drawing your seven initial cards?
    Last edited by noob; 2021-02-21 at 03:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    What happens when you create that many subgames?
    Can you lose by drawing your seven initial cards?
    You shuffle everything back in first (including Emagbus). Also, you're casting a copy of the sub game starter card.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Banned

You shuffle everything back in first (including Emagbus). Also, you're casting a copy of the sub game starter card.
    The actual question is who will ever willingly submit him/herself to a card thats banned in every format ever AND custom made cards AND wont concede after you mention 'subgame'.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Since it’s also the mtg maker thread it seems:

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

The actual question is who will ever willingly submit him/herself to a card thats banned in every format ever AND custom made cards AND wont concede after you mention 'subgame'.
    Ordinarily that would be a problem. However, because Emagbus is subgame spelled backwards, they will have an inversion of their desire to concede. That means the custom made cards issue and the subgame issue cancel out. So it's just a problem with the card being banned. You'll need two more cards for that (but only if it's a problem):
    Look at Me, I'm the DCI
    + Uno Reverse Card
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2021-02-22 at 04:42 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ettin in the Playground

gooddragon, none of what you're saying means anything.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

Ordinarily that would be a problem. However, because Emagbus is subgame spelled backwards, they will have an inversion of their desire to concede. That means the custom made cards issue and the subgame issue cancel out.
    I'm sorry. What?
    So it's just a problem with the card being banned. You'll need two more cards for that (but only if it's a problem):
    Look at Me, I'm the DCI
    + Uno Reverse Card
    So, your solution to a card being banned (and another card being custom) is to
    A. Use a card that is not even theoretically legal in any format.
    B. Use a card that is not even a Magic: The Gathering card.

You're not even playing Magic at that point, you're playing Calvinball.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I'm sorry. What?

So, your solution to a card being banned (and another card being custom) is to
    A. Use a card that is not even theoretically legal in any format.
    B. Use a card that is not even a Magic: The Gathering card.

You're not even playing Magic at that point, you're playing Calvinball.
    Shahrazad is not on the Calvinball ban list or even the restricted list.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Shahrazad is not on the Calvinball ban list or even the restricted list.
    Then why are you jumping through hoops to play it (an un-card and an Uno card) if it's not banned in the context you're talking about?

I do not understand what your goal here is. If you just want to cast Shahrazad as many times as possible, there are plenty of ways to do that without a custom card no one will let you play.

If you want to convince people to play through the subgames...have fun.

In answer to a previous poster's question, yes, if you have fewer than the required number of cards kn your deck at the beginning of the subgame, you immediately lose.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-02-23 at 02:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

Shuffle all the cards you own include the reserve?

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

Then why are you jumping through hoops to play it (an un-card and an Uno card) if it's not banned in the context you're talking about?

I do not understand what your goal here is. If you just want to cast Shahrazad as many times as possible, there are plenty of ways to do that without a custom card no one will let you play.

If you want to convince people to play through the subgames...have fun.

In answer to a previous poster's question, yes, if you have fewer than the required number of cards kn your deck at the beginning of the subgame, you immediately lose.
    I was just having a bit of fun making a theoretical card that could interact with it to make infinite subgames, but at that point I guess it would be better to just make a card that can do that on it's own...

<Cardname> (1u)
    Instant
    Reveal <Cardname> from your library while searching your library or from your hand: Each player shuffles all cards they own into their libraries. Players play a Magic subgame, using their libraries as their decks. The player who wins the subgame may gain 1 life.
    Scry 1.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2021-02-23 at 04:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was just having a bit of fun making a theoretical card that could interact with it to make infinite subgames, but at that point I guess it would be better to just make a card that can do that on it's own...

<Cardname> (1u)
    Instant
    Reveal <Cardname> from your library while searching your library or from your hand: Each player shuffles all cards they own into their libraries. Players play a Magic subgame, using their libraries as their decks. The player who wins the subgame may gain 1 life.
    Scry 1.
    No sane human being would ever agree to play against this card or any derivation of it.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

<Cardname> (1u)
    Instant
    Scry 1.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

You can already do this.

Generate infinite mana, some of it red, with one of the maaaaaaaaaaany ways that exist to do that.

Have out Izzet Guildmage.

Cast Shahrazad.

Copy it literally as many times as you want.

Like Fable Wright says, you're making cards that no one would ever knowingly play against.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Banned

You can already do this.

Generate infinite mana, some of it red, with one of the maaaaaaaaaaany ways that exist to do that.

Have out Izzet Guildmage.

Cast Shahrazad.

Copy it literally as many times as you want.

Like Fable Wright says, you're making cards that no one would ever knowingly play against.
    nor that 'I copy sherezade' is ever likely to resolve anyways. Might as well just make 1: I win.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Firbolg in the Playground

nor that 'I copy sherezade' is ever likely to resolve anyways. Might as well just make 1: I win.
    I mean, you missed the worst part of the design: It's a two-mana Worldfire in the original game, except it doesn't even set life totals. Who doesn't want to play a game with no hand and semi-random life totals after finishing another completely unnecessary game?

Fighting through three Sherezade effects in an evening might let me tell stories about that fateful day for years to come and be amusing. I might not scoop for that, because Sherezade is infamous (and thus people will know what I'm talking about) and the game is recoverable from that state.

The proposed card is just so much worse because (1) you had to explicitly volunteer for it, so it couldn't be a 'Sherezade out of nowhere' moment that gets no sympathy, and (2) recovering from the subgame is worse than the subgame.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

If I am looking for novelty ways to waste my ducking time during hobby hours, there is always MMOs to turn to.

If you bring that shift to my table and except me to play, you will not be invited again.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

I understand being fascinated with Shahrazad from a flavor standpoint, and the sheer absurdity of it. They don't print anything quite like it anymore - early Magic had the advantage of pioneering the entire genre; they knew that they didn't know what they were doing, so they threw stuff at the wall to see what would stick. There are various cards in their own (intentionally unbalanced) Un-sets that parody it. The one where you literally crawl under the table to play the subgame must have been a blast to do at least once (well, maybe not for the older, more heavyset nerds).

If you're going to come up with absurd, out-of-the-box ideas, I don't think anyone would object to them on the grounds of unplayability if they were original enough. But riffing on Shahrazad is not original anymore. If it's been done multiple times in their own officially sold parody products, you're just hopelessly late to the party.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.