New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

The subgame part is also completely irrelevant.

No one will ever play through a subgame where the only benefit is 1 life in whichever game came before that subgame. Ever.

This card's type and cost are also irrelevant because it only does something when searching through your library.

The card is just "any time you search your library, restart the game with no hands." No other part of the card matters.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Spoiler: If you read "I don't like (thing)" and assume that means "nobody likes (thing) and if you claim to you're lying" please do NOT open this spoiler. I know you're going to anyway, but I'm putting this disclaimer here so you don't get any excuses.
    Show
    Whenever I say "I don't like infinite combos" people act shocked and ask "Really? You don't like combos?" which is emblematic of the reason I don't like infinite combos: they make finite combos trivial and irrelevant, to the point that people don't acknowledge their existence.

The other response, mostly from Commander players is "What are you talking about? I'm totally fine with them. They're part of the game, so that means we all have to accept them. " as if I were accusing them of not liking infinite combos, rather than admitting I don't like them.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-02-24 at 10:18 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh, yeah, infinite combos are just really dull, since they usually end the game if they aren't answered. It's like how Emrakul and Griselbrand have made any deck that focuses on cheating out big scary creatures really dull and stale. Yeah, sure, that combo/big guy was neat the first time I ran into it, but the 10th time? The 100th?

And I'm saying this as someone whose favorite deck loops Familiar's Ruse/Peel From Reality and Eternal Witness as a softlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I don’t mind infinite combo myself as long as it’s one option you have to win in the deck rather then the whole focus. I have Brash Taunter and Guilty Conscience in my Alta Palani deck as a wincon but it’s not the only way I have to win in it, obviously. I think I hate more the decks that forever to play like storm deck. Commander is not resumed as someone playing Solitaire. And of course those that prevent you from playing anything like discard or stax. Infinite combo are just boring to play with and against after a while but I’m not judging if you like it.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground

So, for me, I'd say MTG is at it's most fun when it's a brawl on the battlefield with each player making small incremental gains that the opponent has a potential to play against or reverse on their turn. And the game becomes a tug of war of advantage. Effects are usually relatively minor but using a minor effect at the right time can swing a round in your favor. Though honestly, I'm pretty certain this is not the optimal way to play pretty much any of the game. But it is fun.

Infinite combos usually don't really play like that. So I don't really enjoy them myself. But I don't really begrudge them existing so long as they take an adequate amount of time to perform. It's essentially an alternate win condition. If it happens round 3 to 5 I'd find them annoying. Round 8 to 10 I'm probably fine conceding that you won. But then as noted above, I enjoy slower grindier matches than most people seem to.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

they make finite combos trivial and irrelevant, to the point that people don't acknowledge their existence.
    This is objectively wrong even though you can feel that way yes. Finite combos (and for the sake of argument I mean 3+ card combos, not two cards that go well together) are very relevant if they go off faster than infinite combos. If the infinite thing is faster though, that needs some serious looking into and maybe a ban.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Is casting Primal Surge in a deck where it's the only non-permanent card a finite or infinite combo?
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2021-02-25 at 06:53 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Is casting Primal Surge in a deck where it's the only non-permanent card a finite or infinite combo?
    Its "you may"

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Its "you may"
    That's not relevant to the discussion; it just means it's not considered by the rules to be a loop.

"Infinite combo" means "anything you can repeat indefinitely for no further cost." The rules define "loop" more stringently as "something that nobody involved can stop repeating, no matter what they do" which isn't what we've been arguing about.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    It’s a finite combo, limited by the number of cards in your deck

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Spoiler: If you read "I don't like (thing)" and assume that means "nobody likes (thing) and if you claim to you're lying" please do NOT open this spoiler. I know you're going to anyway, but I'm putting this disclaimer here so you don't get any excuses.
    Show
    Whenever I say "I don't like infinite combos" people act shocked and ask "Really? You don't like combos?" which is emblematic of the reason I don't like infinite combos: they make finite combos trivial and irrelevant, to the point that people don't acknowledge their existence.

The other response, mostly from Commander players is "What are you talking about? I'm totally fine with them. They're part of the game, so that means we all have to accept them. " as if I were accusing them of not liking infinite combos, rather than admitting I don't like them.
    Enderlord99, nearly all of these comments boil down to one of two things.

1. You use a sentence that can be interpreted in a wide range of ways and expect people to know exactly what you meant based on precise definitions they may not share, or

2. You make statements that don't invite any conversation and act surprised when people interpret them in ways that do.

This is the latter. No one cares if you like infinite combos, any more then you care if someone likes pants. It invites no conversation, its just a preference. So people assume you meant to phrase it in a way that did invite conversation, which is either discussing the merits of the object in question or sharing their own preferences as a social activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Well explained Tvtyrant

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Bad news for anyone who didn't like the Walking Dead: Crossovers are here to stay. They will be printed with a special holostamp and put under the label "Universes Beyond." To start off, we are having Warhammer 40K Commander decks, and a Lord of the Rings set. These will include original cards. Universes Beyond will not be Standard legal, at least, but will be in Commander/Legacy/Vintage.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Their excuses is such a blatant lie. Its obviously for a cash grab. And no silver border too huh?

Look, I never was a fan of The Walking Dead but Magic The Gathering had its own lore. I do think this is not respectful for the original lore and the world they builded. I still think that I would have like better if they admitted the truth and said that because they estimated that the Walking Dead Secret lair was a success, they are doing this.

But... sigh... Im a big fan of Lord of the Rings. So I dont know what to think.

I sure hope they wont create new words though like "walkers" for Zombies. That's just uncool.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ettin in the Playground

Next they will make a Starcraft and magic the gathering crossover so that blizzard can do the same thing as GW?

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Colossus in the Playground

I for one am fairly excited for this, in part because my girlfriend is way into both, so I'll be enjoying it with her. I also like LOTR myself to a degree.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ettin in the Playground

Does this mean there might be later a mtg warhammer 40k in dnd cross over and thus official dnd stats for space marines(they are monsters probably)?

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Does this mean there might be later a mtg warhammer 40k in dnd cross over and thus official dnd stats for space marines(they are monsters probably)?
    Theoretically yeah, that could happen.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Banned

Would be a slap on the face of the guys workin on their RPG, who are doing a pretty decent job imho.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ettin in the Playground

I somehow managed to actually pull off this combo in Historic exactly once.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

21. - Top - End - #1371

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Ugh, yeah, infinite combos are just really dull, since they usually end the game if they aren't answered. It's like how Emrakul and Griselbrand have made any deck that focuses on cheating out big scary creatures really dull and stale. Yeah, sure, that combo/big guy was neat the first time I ran into it, but the 10th time? The 100th?

And I'm saying this as someone whose favorite deck loops Familiar's Ruse/Peel From Reality and Eternal Witness as a softlock.
    I mean, how is that different from playing against Burn, a deck that would play as many copies of Lightning Bolt as it was allowed to? Personally, I rather like infinite combos, because they end the game and (in multiplayer formats) end it for every player at the same time. I would much rather lose to a combo deck that just kills me with Heliod + Walking Ballista or Demonic Consultation + Thassa's Oracle or whatever than a control deck that slowly grinds me out of the game on the back of Teferi and a bunch of answers. And I would way rather have a Commander game end with one player getting infinite life and killing everyone with Aetherflux Reservoir than sit around for an hour waiting for the game to end after I got alpha-struck the turn before someone reset the board.

Next they will make a Starcraft and magic the gathering crossover so that blizzard can do the same thing as GW?
    I doubt Blizzard will cross over with Magic. If they wanted to put their IP in a card game, they'd just make that the next Hearthstone expansion.

Are there not homebrew stats you can use somewhere? I vaguely remember someone making something called Dungeon Crusade that was supposed to let you play Space Marines in D&Dland.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    This is objectively wrong even though you can feel that way yes. Finite combos (and for the sake of argument I mean 3+ card combos, not two cards that go well together) are very relevant if they go off faster than infinite combos. If the infinite thing is faster though, that needs some serious looking into and maybe a ban.
    I have literally overheard people say things like "the main types of deck are 'aggro', 'control' and 'infinite combo'."
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-03-02 at 11:55 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

I have literally overheard people say things like "the main types of deck are 'aggro', 'control' and 'infinite combo'."
    Which was true about 20 years ago. Nowadays you need to take a more nuanced approach - stuff like tempo, ramp, midrange, stax, prison, etc.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

24. - Top - End - #1374

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Which was true about 20 years ago. Nowadays you need to take a more nuanced approach - stuff like tempo, ramp, midrange, stax, prison, etc.
    It wasn't true then either. Take a look at the Top 8 from PT Chicago in 2000. Half the slots are Fires, which is recognizably "Midrange" by most definitions. Counter Rebels is a Tempo deck (though the archetype might have been called "Fish" at the time, I'm not totally clear on the history). Combo (particularly infinite combo, which many earlier combo decks like Storm actually weren't) is certainly a major deck archetype, but it's not generally one of the top three. That's typically Aggro/Midrange/Control.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Which was true about 20 years ago.
    20 years ago all relevant combos were infinite. Got it.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #1376

This isn't true either. Early combo decks included things like Storm, which is the classic example of a non-infinite combo. But, frankly, there's not a lot of difference in practice between a combo that deals 30 damage and a combo that deals infinity damage when you only have 20 life to begin with.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It wasn't true then or now. Valakut and ad naseaum are both none-infinite combos, Oven Cat doesn't create an infinite loop, and the best combo is legacy is Show and Tell which isn't an infinite combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ettin in the Playground

...Then why the hey did so many people say it?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

29. - Top - End - #1379

...Then why the hey did so many people say it?
    I dunno. Frankly, I don't understand why so many people here are making the distinction between infinite and non-infinite combo. In my experience elsewhere, people pretty much refer to it as "Combo", regardless of whether it's an infinite loop like Splinter Twin + Deceiver Exarch, an instant win like Tainted Pact + Thassa's Oracle, or a finite-but-big-enough combo like Storm.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

Gift/Donate was also a combo deck that was definitively non-infinite and is one of the most iconic combo decks from that era.