New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Is Trapkiller Barbarian tier 3?

OK, Barbarian is pretty high at tier 4, dealing the buttloads of damage we know they can do and intimidating everyone around, with that much hp and all.

But with the trapkiller alternate class feature, the Barbarian actually has 3 areas he now shines at:
    1. Combat
    2. Intimidation
    3. Finding/"disarming" traps

Is this enough for tier 3? It seems more flexible than, say, a Warblade.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Is Trapkiller Barbarian tier 3?

Really? I heard it was low tier 4 while the fighter was high tier 5 when it was discussed why they were different tiers.

So I don't know if that would be enough to make it tier 3, probably more mid-to-high tier 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nah. Low 4 to high 4

Still no stealth. Still only half detection. Still no "other" utility.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Nah. Low 4 to high 4

Still no stealth. Still only half detection. Still no "other" utility.
    Same goes for Warblade. That's my point.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Warbalde still has more options; they get an array of manuvers, while barbarian is still "I hit it with my sword".
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nolispe View Post
    Warbalde still has more options; they get an array of manuvers, while barbarian is still "I hit it with my sword".
    But this is just within combat. A Barbarian already shines in combat, by dealing more damage than a Warblade.
    A Warblade might fight with more options and that alone is enough for a tier of difference (like Wizard x Sorcerer) if all other choices are equal. But it's the Barbarian who has more options here. In a social encounter, a Warblade can at best try to intimidate as a standard action - and he probably won't be that good at it. A Barbarian probably has Intimidate maxed and has feats related to it, like Intimidating Rage. Against a trap, a Warblade can't find it and even if he knows where it is, his best bet is breaking everything around with a Stone Dragon maneuver (a Barbarian could do the same, it would only take more time). The Barbarian can find the trap and can disarm the trap properly by breaking it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I consider warblades tier 4.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes Tier 3 is about in-combat options rather than out of combat options. Warblades simply have more versatility in combat. Barbarians have to sink a lot more resources in to deal with unusual situations, and as such can't cover the kind of range of tactical abilities that Warblades can. Trapfinding+good damage is also a feature of the optimized Rogue, a solid Tier 4. You need multiple in-combat options (more than just two) to get Tier 3 unless you're stellar out of combat.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

9. - Top - End - #9

Barbarians that are well-optimized to do intimidate, axe and trapkill are at the very top of Tier 4. The trapkilling is at -5 compared to the Rogue, and can't solve magical traps or traps that you can't break, which is pretty lame. Intimidate is shut down my enemies immune to fear. So you're really left with only one good option - axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Sometimes Tier 3 is about in-combat options rather than out of combat options. Warblades simply have more versatility in combat. Barbarians have to sink a lot more resources in to deal with unusual situations, and as such can't cover the kind of range of tactical abilities that Warblades can. Trapfinding+good damage is also a feature of the optimized Rogue, a solid Tier 4. You need multiple in-combat options (more than just two) to get Tier 3 unless you're stellar out of combat.
    Hm, I'm convinced, sir.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tier 3 is about combat options and diversity with some out of combat strength. That's why wildshape ranger is 3 and normal ranger is 4. Normal ranger has stealth, detection, tracking, healing, minions, and other; but it's mostly lame and repetitive in combat.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Tier 3 is about combat options and diversity with some out of combat strength. That's why wildshape ranger is 3 and normal ranger is 4. Normal ranger has stealth, detection, tracking, healing, minions, and other; but it's mostly lame and repetitive in combat.
    Plus normal ranger doesn't especially shine in any of those areas. I believe the tier-ranking explanation for ranger is that he's basically Average-to-Okay at everything he tries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I also don't get why people think Barbarians have so much better damage than Warblades. A pumped up maneuver routine can easily out-damage a Barbarian's rage, even with something as simple as Punishing Stance + Emerald Razor + Power Attack, and higher level maneuvers only get better.

14. - Top - End - #14

Pounce goes a long way in removing heads. The maneuver is still a single attack, the numbers are in the barbarian's favour (until you get into Time Stands Still nonsense).
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    I also don't get why people think Barbarians have so much better damage than Warblades. A pumped up maneuver routine can easily out-damage a Barbarian's rage, even with something as simple as Punishing Stance + Emerald Razor + Power Attack, and higher level maneuvers only get better.
    An optimized full attack routine will outdamage almost any single-attack strike combo- you could, for example, be comparing the Emerald Razor combo to a Whirling Frenzy Pouncing Barbarian that gets to attack twice. And then as he levels picks up Leap Attack and Shock Trooper, and gets Hasted, so now he charges people and makes 3 attacks at full BAB with heavy Power Attack at 3:1 returns.. what's the Warblade doing? Well, he can try to do the same thing, but he doesn't have the rage or the pounce, and it'll be some levels yet before he gets the maneuvers that give him a lot of extra attacks, so he mostly falls behind the Barbarian's damage output. (It does even back up at high levels when you can do some silly things with things like Time Stands Still, Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip, Raging Mongoose, and the Stormguard Warrior feat, but the Barbarian still usually has an edge and doesn't need to take a turn out to recover his maneuvers from time to time.)

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    An optimized full attack routine will outdamage almost any single-attack strike combo- you could, for example, be comparing the Emerald Razor combo to a Whirling Frenzy Pouncing Barbarian that gets to attack twice. And then as he levels picks up Leap Attack and Shock Trooper, and gets Hasted, so now he charges people and makes 3 attacks at full BAB with heavy Power Attack at 3:1 returns.. what's the Warblade doing? Well, he can try to do the same thing, but he doesn't have the rage or the pounce, and it'll be some levels yet before he gets the maneuvers that give him a lot of extra attacks, so he mostly falls behind the Barbarian's damage output. (It does even back up at high levels when you can do some silly things with things like Time Stands Still, Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip, Raging Mongoose, and the Stormguard Warrior feat, but the Barbarian still usually has an edge and doesn't need to take a turn out to recover his maneuvers from time to time.)
    Whirling Frenzy and Pounce? That's hardly standard barbarian fare. You have to compare equivalent levels of optimization. As you said, the Warblade can pick up Leap Attack as well, and even though he doesn't have pounce, he does have stuff like Battle Leader's Charge -> White Raven Tactics -> Soaring Raptor Strike (or plain old Emerald Razor if the opponent isn't large). And he can do this all before the Barbarian even qualifies for Shock Trooper (unless the barb took flaws). The Barb gets the edge at level 6 if he took Lion Spirit Totem, but the Warblade gets pounce at 9th anyway, so it's really not that big of a difference. The Warblade also has extra bonus feats to fuel these crazy charge shenanigans, giving him the ability to grab something ridiculous like Battle Jump or Stormguard Warrior in addition to Leap Attack and Shock Trooper.

Basically, I think Barbarians do have an edge on damage, but only if you're going into pretty high optimization. (also, warblades don't need to take a turn to recharge their maneuvers, they just have to not use them in one turn, but they can still whack people)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Whirling Frenzy and Pounce? That's hardly standard barbarian fare.
    That depends on what you use as the "standard".
    he does have stuff like Battle Leader's Charge -> White Raven Tactics -> Soaring Raptor Strike (or plain old Emerald Razor if the opponent isn't large).
    The size of the enemy is of no consequence for Soaring Raptor Strike.
    the Warblade gets pounce at 9th anyway, so it's really not that big of a difference.
    Pouncing Strike isn't quite the same as Pounce. For one, it can't be used as a Standard Action.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    That depends on what you use as the "standard".
    I'm pretty sure trading away all of your 1st level class features for similar ACF is not standard.
    The size of the enemy is of no consequence for Soaring Raptor Strike.
    Uh, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soaring Raptor Strike
    You can
    use this maneuver only against a foe
    of a larger size category than yours.
    Pouncing Strike isn't quite the same as Pounce. For one, it can't be used as a Standard Action.
    ?
    Pounce: You may make a full attack on a charge.
    Pouncing Charge: You make a full attack on a charge.

What are you talking about? Where are you getting a Standard Action from?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, what?
    Right you are, funny I've never noticed that.
    ?
    Pounce: You may make a full attack on a charge.
    Pouncing Charge: You make a full attack on a charge.

What are you talking about? Where are you getting a Standard Action from?
    Well, from surprise round, for one. Or being Slowed.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

20. - Top - End - #20

Just because the Barbarian doesn't have Shock Trooper doesn't invalidate his Pounce. Until 9th level, the Warblade has to walk like a sucker while the Barbarian charges and full-attacks to his heart's content.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #21

Well, from surprise round, for one. Or being Slowed.
    But both take full round actions, you can't use either of them when you are surprised or slowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Just because the Barbarian doesn't have Shock Trooper doesn't invalidate his Pounce. Until 9th level, the Warblade has to walk like a sucker while the Barbarian charges and full-attacks to his heart's content.
    Yes, for three levels, the barbarian has more DPS on a charge. Whoop-de-doo. The Warblade can still use Sudden Leap + Full Attack, or any standard action maneuvers when he moves.
    Last edited by Tael; 2010-11-28 at 01:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

But both take full round actions, you can't use either of them when you are surprised or slowed.
    Well, you can't use Pouncing Charge, but you can charge, which was my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge
    If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Well, you can't use Pouncing Charge, but you can charge, which was my point.
    Ah, right. Still, IHS away the Slow or use a normal maneuver. You're still a hell of lot more versatile.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, right. Still, IHS away the Slow or use a normal maneuver. You're still a hell of lot more versatile.
    Of course.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Barbarians or fighters with pounce and a bunch of power attack feats having ridiculous damage has long been a staple of 3.5, to the point where it becomes cheese. That doesn't actually make them interesting to play >.<
    Currently moving houses, posting will be sporadic for the next little while.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goonthegoof View Post
    Barbarians or fighters with pounce and a bunch of power attack feats having ridiculous damage has long been a staple of 3.5, to the point where it becomes cheese. That doesn't actually make them interesting to play >.<
    Wait a minute, because it's common, it's cheese?!

27. - Top - End - #27

Yes, for three levels, the barbarian has more DPS on a charge. Whoop-de-doo. The Warblade can still use Sudden Leap + Full Attack, or any standard action maneuvers when he moves.
    Three levels? Nine levels is more like it. Standard action maneuvers don't do as much damage as two or more regular attacks from a raging barbarian, and charging has double the distance of the warblade's movement.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Three levels? Nine levels is more like it. Standard action maneuvers don't do as much damage as two or more regular attacks from a raging barbarian, and charging has double the distance of the warblade's movement.
    I wouldn't say just nine as well. With equal levels of optimization, I'm pretty sure Barbarian will always come out ahead on the damage department.
    At higher levels of optimization, with Time Stands Still spamming, Warblade might come out ahead, but nothing in the game survives the Barbarian's damage at this level anyway, so the Warblade's upgrade is kind of pointless.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Wait a minute, because it's common, it's cheese?!
    Said that the wrong way. What I meant was it's cheese because of the several hundred damage per round, but it came out wrong.
    Currently moving houses, posting will be sporadic for the next little while.

30. - Top - End - #30

I was talking about if the Barbarian didn't take Whirling Frenzy. As in, you only get a second attack at 6th.