New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default MtG Mafia Day 7: Conflux

"Time is relative. It seems almost sophomoric to say something so banal, but it is as fundamental of a truth as any laws of magics or summonings you may have mastered while you whiled and squandered away those preciously limited mortal minutes that make up what you've come to understand as life. Once you fully understand the concept of time, once you feel it eking on, eon by eon, once you come to perceive it passing the same as you would hear the dull thundering of an approaching storm, or as you would witness the subtle transgressions of the cool, evening dew across the lush jungles of the Jundian hillsides, only then do you come to understand that with time relative, so too are all things."

"After all, what is space to a planeswalker? What remains a ubiquitous inconvenience to light is but with an imagining, nothing more than an afterthought to one such as I. Intelligence? Reduced to nothing but a trophy, something to polish up and show off now and again, but never actually utilized to its capacity. Millenniums worth of planning were set in motion long ago, and since then there's been little need to dwell on such subjects. Mortality? Eclipsed long ago, and with it the divine judgment of gods and demons alike."

"Even power, dear boy, is something of a misnomer. For a master is only as good as the castle within which he resides. And to be perfectly honest I've grown weary of my abode in the last thousand years. So have my dear subjects, the Phyrexians. They'll be the ones setting this little game of ours into motion, after all. Sure, they needed a bit of an incentive, never the alacritous ones, were they?"

"Ah, but I beg your pardon, I seem to have delved far from our original talking points. I would be remiss to withhold from you the one aspect, the one quality of life that I have discovered is entirely free from the incessant devaluing that seems to plague our existence. For you see, boy, greatness...true greatness, is unwavering, unfaltering, and unyielding. And that is where we are headed. Well, not you, of course. Not much left of you, I'm afraid. Your mind simply couldn't take being in the room with me any longer. It's gone and shattered into a thousand fragments of personality, quirks, ego, and rationality. I can't blame you, many have faced the great Nicol Bolas and found themselves wanting. Sarkhan, toss him in the pits with the others, there's a planar portal to Zendikar with our names on it."

------------------------------------------------

In Play (4):
    (AD8) The Grimmace - Gideon Jura, TOWN Bulletproof Bodyguard.
    (AD8) Tom the Mime - Karn, TOWN Time Mayor.
    (AD8) Usourselves&we - Snapcaster Mage, TOWN Flashbacker.
    (AD8) Istari - Myr, TOWN Innocent Child.

Graveyard/Exiled:
    (LD1) Otakuryoga - Emrakul, INDEPENDENT Untargetable Time-Stopping Serial Killer Annihilator
    (KN1) Penguinator - Jace Beleren, TOWN Strong-Willed Cop
    (LD2) Count Dingdong - Vorinclex, PRAETOR Bulletproof Strongman
    (KN2) TBFProgrammer - Vraska, TOWN Target Bomb
    (KN2) C'nor - Elesh Norn, PRAETOR Godfather Inductor
    (KN2) Elemental - Sarkhan Vol, CABAL Gladiator Rolestopper
    (LD3) RuneboundShade - Stoneforge Mystic, TOWN Jack-Of-All-Trades.
    (MKD3) Eternis - Liliana Vess, TOWN Miller Roleblocker.
    (KN3) Matthias2207 - Ajani Goldmane, TOWN Double-Voter
    (LD4) Razovor - Jin-Gitaxias, PRAETOR Role Cop Framer
    (KN4) Internet Flea - Sorin Markov, TOWN Medium Commuter
    (LD5) Amidus Drexel - Venser, TOWN Jailkeeper
    (KN5) Zar Peter - Garruk Wildspeaker, TOWN Tracker
    (KN5) DukeGod - Tamiyo, TOWN Watcher
    (LD6) EvilRoeSlade - Nicol Bolas, CABAL Godfather Flavor Cop Vote Thief
    (KN6) Gray Mage - Tarmogoyf, TOWN Vanilla
    (KD7) Meta - Tezzeret, CABAL Inventor
    (LD7) Diego Havoc - Urabrask, PRAETOR Ninja Tracker
    (KN7) Super dark33 - Chandra Nalaar, TOWN Day Revenge Vigilante
    (KN7) Bunny of Faith - Sheoldred, PRAETOR Roleblocker Janitor

Final Votes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Day 1:

(10) otakuryoga - C'nor, Eternis, TBF, Grimmace, usourselves, Internet Flea, Elemental, Gray Mage, Amidus, Count
    (6) Gray Mage - (usourselves), DukeGod, (Count), (TBF), Penguinator, (C'nor), Matthias, Tom, (Runebound), (Elemental), Meta, (Amidus), (otaku), otaku
    (4) Zar Peter - (C'nor), Diego, Istari, (Elemental), (Grimmace), EvilRoeSlade, (TBF), Litewarior, (otaku)
    (1) C'nor - (Internet Flea), (Gray Mage), Peter
    (1) RuneboundShade - (Amidus), super dark
    (1) Tom the Mime - razovor
    (0) Amidus Drexel – (Runebound)
    (0) Diego Havoc – (Amidus), (Peter)
    (0) DukeGod – (otaku)
    (0) Istari – (TBF)
    (0) Matthias2207 – (Tom)
    (0) usourselves&we - (Gray Mage)

Day 2:

(6) Count Dingdong - TBF, Matthias, Peter, (C'nor), DukeGod, Tom, (Amidus), Istari
    (5) Matthias 2207 - RuneboundShade, Meta, Count, razovor, Amidus
    (4) RuneboundShade - usourselves&we, Diego, super dark, (Elemental), Internet Flea
    (2) Amidus Drexel - (Istari), (Grimmace), EvilRoeSlade, C'nor, (Count)
    (1) Eternis - Grimmace
    (0) EvilRoeSlade - (Internet Flea)
    (0) Gray Mage - (razovor), (Meta)
    (0) C'nor - (TBF), (EvilRoeSlade), (Count), (Tom), (RuneboundShade), (Grimmace)
    (0) TBFProgrammer - (C'nor), (Count)

Day 3:

(6) RuneboundShade - Internet Flea, The Grimmace, Istari, Tom the Mime, Amidus Drexel, Usourselves&we
    (3) Razovor - Zar Peter, Gray Mage, EvilRoeSlade
    (2) No Lynch - Penguinator, Super dark33
    (1) Amidus Drexel - (Istari), razovor, (EvilRoeSlade)

Day 4:

(5) Razovor - Peter, usourselves&we, (DukeGod), Meta, Gray Mage, EvilRoeSlade
    (4) EvilRoeSlade - Diego, Internet Flea, DukeGod, razovor
    (2) Meta - Grimmace, (Gray Mage), super dark
    (2) usourselves&we - Istari, Tom
    (1) Internet Flea - (EvilRoeSlade), (razovor), Amidus Drexel
    (0) Diego Havoc - (Internet Flea)
    (0) Litewarior - (Internet Flea)
    (0) Amidus Drexel - (Meta)

Day 5:

(5) Amidus Drexel - usourselves&we, Diego, Peter, Istari, Grimmace
    (4) Zar Peter - Gray Mage, Amidus, DukeGod, super dark
    (1) Gray Mage - Meta
    (0) DukeGod - (Tom)
    (0) The Grimmace - (Tom), (Peter)
    (0) Meta - (Istari)

Day 6:

(5) EvilRoeSlade - (Tom), Diego, Istari, super dark, (Bunny), Tom, usourselves&we
    (1) Meta - (usourselves&we), Bunny
    (1) usourselves&we - Internet Flea

2 Biggest Rules:
    -No PMing other players about the content of the game.
    -No editing your posts.

Other rules:
    VOTING
    Spoiler
    Show
    -In order to make votes easier to find, we will be using the following format, which is a bit of a departure from the norm.

##Vote: "name"
    ##Unvote

This way, you no longer need to edit your past posts at all, and you can easily search for the past votes of others. If you'd like to bold it in red, or some other color, feel free.

-I will keep track of votes, and will update them 3-4 times per day. They will include all current votes, as well as the voting history of each player, in parenthesis.

-The lynch is decided on a plurality system. Once one player receives votes from most of the playership left in the game, the day immediately ends, and that player is lynched. Failing that, every day has a time limit of 48 hours. The player in the lead at that point will be lynched. If, for some reason, there are no players with a quarter of the voters, the day will end in a no lynch.

-In the event that two or more players are tied in votes at the end of the day, sudden death will occur. A thirty minute extension will begin once indicated by the host, and only the tied players may be voted for, or unvoted. The moment one player emerges as the vote leader, the day immediately ends, and they will be lynched. If there is no change after thirty minutes, the day will end with No Lynch. I'm based in EST. If there are enough people far enough from this where it would be unreasonable for the sudden death to only last 30 minutes, we can augment this rule. Let me know if this is a concern of yours

-After each 48 hour day period, there will be a 24 hour period of night, during which you may send in your night actions to me via PM, and mafia will decide who to kill.

ROLES
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Before the game begins, you will receive your role from the host. This will contain your flavor name/character, your alignment, and your role, as well as some flavor text explaining your character and role.

-You must keep this PM to yourself. Showing it to anyone else will result in a modkill.

-You may choose to reveal your role in-game, but you must do so in a paraphrased format. Directly copying and pasting anything but your flavor name, alignment and role, will likely lead to you being modkilled. You may reveal a role that is not your actual role. Mafia will be provided a list of "safe" flavor names that may be utilized.

ETIQUETTE
    Spoiler
    Show
    -You are forbidden from talking to another player about the game outside the topic, unless you have a special board, or permission from the host to do so. You are forbidden from posting in the topic during the night phase. You are forbidden from editing or deleting posts. This includes players who have been eliminated from the game. If you have been eliminated, please do not post in the topic until the game ends. If you are mafia, you may continue to post on your mafia board, even after being eliminated.

-A basic level of activity is expected in this game. You are not expected to post for the whole 48 hours, but you are expected to keep up to speed with the topic. If you expect to be unavoidably absent for a short period (e.g. 24 hours) at any point in the game, inform me in advance. As a general rule, try to check in 3-4 times per 48 hours, but more is always good.

-Play to win. There is no such thing as being in an unwinnable position in mafia, however hopeless it may seem. If you are patently not trying, and/or sabotaging your faction, you will be on grounds for a modkill.

-Remember to check your messages before posting in each new day, even if you are not expecting correspondence from the host. There may be something you need to be aware of before posting.

-Metagaming is allowed, but not encouraged. Metagaming is drawing conclusions based on predictions/expectations of the host, set-up or fellow players.

-Do not attempt to bet, or stake a claim on outside forces during the game i.e. do not ‘swear on your mother’s life’ that you are telling the truth.

-Play nice. Deliberate intimidation, harassment or verbal abuse of another player in a malicious and uncalled for fashion may lead to a modkill. Mafia is a game.

-Do what the Host says. He also reserves the right to change any of these rules at any point, within reason.

ROLES I PROMISE NOT TO USE
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mafia Unlynchable
    Mafia Mayor
    Mafia Bomb
    Infinite Forensic Detective
    Random Bomb
    Death Miller
    Any role that punishes town for a correct lynch
    Any role that gives scum control of the lynch
    Last edited by EatAtEmrakuls; 2013-01-28 at 08:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Magic the Gathering WW/Mafia (Sign-Ups/Interest)

I'll play, although I guess I don't understand "high-powered?"

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Going to be in on this.

Fairly sure that means many power roles.
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll play.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am so very in.

EDIT: It might not much matter to game-play, since they won't be used anyways, but would you mind explaining some of the roles you listed? Some are fairly self-explanatory, but I've only ever played on these boards before, and we don't often use the mafia names for roles and such.
    Last edited by Zjoot; 2012-12-20 at 12:35 AM.
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

6. - Top - End - #6

Sure.

Mafia is of course synonymous with scum, villain, werewolf, or in the case of this game, Praetor.

Mafia Unlynchable - Any mafia member that can't be lynched by town.
    Mafia Mayor - A mayor takes control of the vote, usually resulting in a no-lynch or a lynch on the 2nd highest vote-getter. Bad idea to give that power to bad guys.
    Mafia Bomb - Bombs explode when they're lynched, killing one or more people that were voting for them.
    Infinite Forensic Detective - Forensics Detect targets someone that's dead and knows every player that targeted that player during the game. Infinite would mean unlimited uses, once a day.
    Random Bomb - A Bomb that randomly kills someone when lynched, rather than someone on their vote total.
    Death Miller - Legendarily bad. Millers are town that scan as scum. Those are fine. DEATH Millers, upon dying, flip as scum, which can completely throw town for a loop.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I'm in.
    Just a few questions:
    Are we allowed to contact other players through PM and build a town network?
    Could we use Quicktopics instead of PMs to get our roles and send in actions?
    Why can't I swear on the beard of the emperor/the arrow in my knee/the throne of Hades* that I'm no wolf/town/scum/mayor/rabid rabbit*?

*)Strike through when applicable

Edit: Also, 'sudden death': 30 minutes!? What about those poor souls in a different time zone than you, who need their sleep during those 30 minutes?
    Last edited by Matthias2207; 2012-12-20 at 09:25 AM.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EatAtEmrakuls View Post
    -A basic level of activity is expected in this game. You are not expected to post for the whole 48 hours, but you are expected to keep up to speed with the topic. If you expect to be unavoidably absent for a short period (e.g. 24 hours) at any point in the game, inform me in advance.
    That level of activity is going to be hard to find around here. Typically, most narrators will provide for one or two in game days of inactivity prior to any corrective action.

That is not to say that this is an unreasonable request, however, it should be stated somewhat more prominently, since it is a major departure from what most here are used to.

Oh, and in.
    The BareFoot Programmer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll participate.

Just a couple of questions...

Do you have any specific format you want our votes in, or can we just post them in red, like so: Elemental.

How long is night? For the life of me I cannot seem to find it anywhere in your post...

Will you be using an auto-lynch mechanic?
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Ill join.
    i just hope i wont get a white or green.
    Despite everything, its still me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Reporting for insanity, sir.

(In, that is.)

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    I'm in.
    Just a few questions:
    Are we allowed to contact other players through PM and build a town network?
    Could we use Quicktopics instead of PMs to get our roles and send in actions?
    Why can't I swear on the beard of the emperor/the arrow in my knee/the throne of Hades* that I'm no wolf/town/scum/mayor/rabid rabbit*?

*)Strike through when applicable

Edit: Also, 'sudden death': 30 minutes!? What about those poor souls in a different time zone than you, who need their sleep during those 30 minutes?
    No. If you've found contacting another player via PM you'll be modkilled, unless you've been given a private board because of your role. I'm not sure if you're used to being able to PM other players but any mafia game I've seen disallows such practices.
    I'm not sure what this quicktopic thing is, is it something you're used to using?

And yes, only 30 minutes for sudden death. It would usually end in a no-lynch otherwise, so it's a small benefit for town that I've found can help in a jam. If there is a large amount of time-zone difficulty we can revisit the rule though, I'm not unreasonable.

The rule on that is mostly just to keep people from being offended, such as swearing to god that you're not scum when you are, etc... I have no problem with it personally, just thinking of the audience.

I'm going to update the initial post for rules on voting, to make it simpler to find them, one moment.

EDIT: Updated. Changes are in bold. I decided to change the voting method, which I believe will make it easier on both myself and you as players.
    Last edited by EatAtEmrakuls; 2012-12-20 at 06:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

A quicktopic is a fairly normal occurrence here, narrators use them to limit the numbers of PMs they need to deal with, giving people their role and a QT (to talk with any teammates, ask question about the role, and send in power use) in one pm rather then clutter the pm box with all that.

Not all that hard to set up, and most/all people here have names there. Some people have almost permanently full PM boxes so it helps them also, not going to name any names on that front.
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I'm up for this.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by usourselves&we View Post
    A quicktopic is a fairly normal occurrence here, narrators use them to limit the numbers of PMs they need to deal with, giving people their role and a QT (to talk with any teammates, ask question about the role, and send in power use) in one pm rather then clutter the pm box with all that.

Not all that hard to set up, and most/all people here have names there. Some people have almost permanently full PM boxes so it helps them also, not going to name any names on that front.
    I'll look into it and get back to you guys.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Humm, interested.

When do you plan to start the game? I won't have much free time until the 11th. Enough time to (probably) not miss a phase, but not too active.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

17. - Top - End - #17

I really wanna hold out for 24 so I'm willing to wait till after the holidays, so things calm down a bit.

If you're not as active as you would like in the beginning it's fine. I'm probably gonna wait at least 2 weeks unless this hits 24 quickly.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm already in one of these, another one won't hurt I guess
    But I'll be out for a trip soon, when would it start?

19. - Top - End - #19

As I said, after the holidays if we have 24.

In fact we could do more than 24 if this becomes a blowout.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EatAtEmrakuls View Post
    The rule on that is mostly just to keep people from being offended, such as swearing to god that you're not scum when you are, etc... I have no problem with it personally, just thinking of the audience.
    We've never had much problem with this, honestly.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm interested.
    A few odds and ends.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    We've never had much problem with this, honestly.
    However, the rest of the Internet may not be so fortunate as us.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering WW/Mafia (Sign-Ups)

I'm in.

Regarding sudden death: What time of day you intend to start days/nights will be important since I'm in GMT (UTC). If your day ends later than 6PM EST I'm unlikely to be able to vote in sudden death.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

24. - Top - End - #24

I haven't thought about it yet.

If everyone could post their time-zone I'll set a time that works for everyone as close as possible.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm at GMT-3, plus summer savings time, it's 9 AM here right now.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

AEST, which is GMT+10.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll join and GMT+9:30 and DST.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Currently: EST (GMT/UTC-5)
    Summer: EDT (GMT/UTC-4)

I've noticed that the forums tend to have an activity spike around 5-6 GMT/UTC. This corresponds to EST lunch and should be somewhere close to the end of the workday for Europe.

There is also, of course, the US evening hours.

If you could stretch out a tie resolution for three hours starting at 5 GMT/UTC, you'd be able to catch most users, with Australians having to stay up late (between 1 and 3) and those on the Pacific coast having to take an early lunch to catch the tail end.

Granted, the sudden death isn't really terribly important/necessary.
    The BareFoot Programmer

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm GMT -3, with Savings time right now, just like Gray Mage

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll join. GMT-9 for me.

Also I'll probably be on for a day then off for a day, like a light switch if light switches hunted wolves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)